This is very well-done and detailed. The crap is really starting to hit the fan, and it'll get worse when war actually does break out...

Sounds like the Florida ANG is between a rock and a hard place here...

I know another singer who could appear in the story: Harry Casey, aka KC from KC and the Sunshine Band (he was born in Hialeah, Florida, which is near Miami, and is a South Florida native)...

Regardless, when nuclear war does come (and I suspect February 21st will have several chapters dedicated to it), Florida is going to be hit worse than any hurricane that has hit the state combined...

Waiting for more...

Last edited:
The F-106 did have two weapons that would guarantee a kill. ;)
The aircraft would not be able to carry the Vulcan cannon pack if they were armed with one of those two weapons, however.

The F-106 did have two weapons that would guarantee a kill. ;)
The aircraft would not be able to carry the Vulcan cannon pack if they were armed with one of those two weapons, however.

They'd all been stripped of that special weapon by the mid-70s, prior to their handover to the ANG.

Can't let those Territorials have special weapons now, can we? ;)

Chapter 32
Chapter 32
February 16-17, 1984
Miami, Florida

"Our reply to the Soviet Union is simple: No." -- Deputy White House Press Secretary Larry Speakes

"If Reagan and Ogarkov start a war, they might as well dump kerosene over this city now and drop the match. The end result is going to be the same." -- Miami mayor Maurice Ferré to an aide in the Emergency Operations Center.

"Some folks like to get away/Take a holiday from the neighborhood/Hop a flight to Miami Beach/Or to Hollywood..." --Billy Joel, "New York State of Mind" (1976)

There were no flights to hop, because airports were closed across the state. The schools were shuttered up. Absenteeism had shot up rapidly in the past 24 hours, to the point where Mayor Ferré had to threaten arrests and jail time to any essential city employee that didn't come to work. The police department issued notice that air raid warning sirens would be tested the afternoon of the 17th. Hurricane shelters were opened up as a gesture of hope, even though anyone with a modicum of knowledge recognized it was futile. People still moved into shelters anyway, hoping to not be alone when the bombs came.

In Liberty City and Little Haiti, an uneasy peace was holding. Following adoption of Klima's recommendation, the roadblocks were set to deter further traffic from entering those neighborhoods. Furthermore, around Miami, officers set up shop at the largest stores, such as Publix, Winn Dixie, and the recently opened Home Depot, a home improvement big box store that had become immensely popular over the past two weeks, and checked ID's of those entering. Anyone not from the area was politely asked to shop closer to home (polite in tone, not so much in appearance, given the shotguns the police manning the checkpoints were wielding), so those in the neighborhoods could be served first. Between these two steps, by nightfall, the suburban residents got the hint and drove home.

And at a tidy home in Doral, a black family and their white guest were packing suitcases and a small crate. The family of Major Ron Simmons were going to join Rosa, Adriana, and her parents in the Fort Myers apartment. A crowded situation would become more crowded, as five more people would double the occupancy of a 900 square foot apartment. Rosa was a bit cool at first when Jan said he wanted them to join, but relented when he said this gave him a better chance to be able to leave before bombs started falling. Rosa would do anything to get her beloved husband to safety, including accepting total strangers into her (temporary) home. The sleeping situation was going to be the most difficult, but they'd make it work. Simmons had a camper, and his family would stay in that outside the apartment at night until necessity forced otherwise. However long it was possible for, it would help.

While most of the city laid down to a restless sleep, Klima wasn't sleeping at all. He went back to headquarters, dug through his notes from the RTF, and found the information he was looking for. Klima checked out an unmarked sedan and drove into the darkness of night, the faint light of the moon and his headlights being the only illumination as he proceeded to head north to Coral Springs. After a couple of missed turns, the detective walked up to the house whose address he had found, knocking on the door until the portly, rumpled figure opened up. "Whaddya want? Christ, don't you know what time it is?" "Nice to see you too. Listen, I need one thing from you, and you will be clear from any legal troubles whatsoever so long as you stay clean," Jan told the Pilot. "I know you own a couple of helicopters to go with your planes. When I call, I want you to fly to this location," Jan handed the Pilot a piece of paper with an address, "and pick us up from the roof helipad. I'd recommend you get your family somewhere safe, because this part of town won't last long in a war. I'm sure you're smart enough to know that, pal. I'd recommend a place like Naples. I know you've got the cash to get a room there. Do that tomorrow. Here's an exemption to the flying ban. This will allow you to fly one of your planes to save time. The call signs on there are validated by the state for special personnel so you don't get shot down by an eager Air Guardsman."

"Detective, are you kidding me? This is a lot of trouble to go to. You're essentially asking for evac from a nuclear war, aren't you? Do you know how fucking crazy that is?"

"Look, I'm giving you a get out of jail free card. You served in Vietnam. You probably trained for this at some point, even. You have an opportunity to get you and your family to safety, and do so in the easiest way possible, instead of fighting traffic when people try to get the hell out of town. I'm doing you a huge favor, buddy, and by helping me, you help yourself and your family. Get them safe, then be back here and ready to get me and my fellow passengers out of here. Deal?" The Pilot stood there for a minute, silent, while his mind raced through the possibilities. In the end, he decided he'd rather be alive and have his family be alive. "Okay, Detective, deal." Klima handed over the codes to the Pilot and left. Klima's next stop was Jackson Memorial Hospital, where a mere flash of his badge was enough to prevent any objection from the nurses duty station. He walked into Luis Cárdenas' room, where, surprisingly, Luis was awake.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise," Jan said, smiling at his partner. Luis' arm was in a standard sling as well, instead of the heavy duty traction it'd been in for the last ten days. "Hermano! Come here, man!" Luis replied, using his good arm to wave over his partner. He wrapped him in a big one-handed hug. "Let me tell you, I've been a lot better the past couple of days, but you've been gone, so I haven't had the chance to tell you that I owe you, man. You saved my life. I can't believe that guy snapped off a shot so quickly on me. I didn't see a damn thing at all." Cárdenas shook his head. "Luis, that guy turned out to be a Cuban special forces man who'd gone AWOL from his deployment in Angola. He made his way here somehow, but there's a picture of him fighting over there, so we know it's him. Don't feel bad he shot you. Feel lucky he's dead and you're not," Jan told Luis.

"Special forces? Christ, Rivera's got everything, doesn't he?"

"It gets worse, Luis. We found out 48 hours ago that two ex-CIA paramilitary types are working for him, guys who got cut loose during Carter's bloodletting over there. Not only do we keep hitting dead ends, we got pulled from looking after the Soviets sent that ultimatum yesterday."

"Yeah, I watched the news. We're all out on the street now, keeping things safe until their first nuke hits us, right?"

"More or less, man, which is why we're not sticking around for this to go down," Klima said. "Tell your parents to pack a suitcase and have it in the trunk. If the shit hits the fan, I've got us a ride out of here." "How the hell are you arranging that? Don't they shoot people who go AWOL in wartime," Cárdenas replied. "You know Major Simmons, tough old black dude? I'm working in the ops center with him. I had him send his family out to Fort Myers to join mine, which leads to why I'm here. We're gonna spring a jailbreak of sorts for you. Remember the Pilot? Simmons helped me out here, got me clearance codes for him and a promise that we wouldn't pursue any charges against him in return for his agreeing to be an evac pilot for us. When your parents come in the morning, tell them to go home and pack a suitcase and keep it in the trunk. If things go all to hell, we're going up to the helipad and flying outta Miami. You, your parents, Simmons, and me. The ell-tee told me a couple weeks ago that I needed to help good people survive things so we could rebuild. He's convinced things are going to go all the way, and God knows if he's still here or on a plane to Germany for REFORGER. I'd say we've got about 24-30 hours before the Soviets decide to start shooting, and so I'm ensuring good people survive this." Klima took a deep breath. He noticed his hands were shaking a bit. Luis noticed too. "Hey, Jan, get some sleep, okay? You're gonna fall apart if you don't get a few hours. They haven't filled the other bed, doubt they'll do anything with it tonight. It's clean and you need it."

Klima didn't bother to argue. He climbed on top of it, took his holster off and put it under the pillows, and fell fast asleep.

@wolverinethad I bow to your superior knowledge. :)
If that's the case who was using the AIR-2 and AIM-26 in the '80s (other than the Canadian CF-101s)?

The 5th Interceptor Wing out of Minot (home to a crapload of Minutemen) and the 87th Interceptor Wing out of Sawyer AFB in Northern Michigan were the only two regular USAF wings still flying F-106s, so they had access to the Genie.

Yeah, living in an apartment myself (though its more of a duplex), those steps are entirely understandable, IMO. I looked up the Jackson Plaza Apartments in Fort Myers and I'm a little surprised (though not much, honestly) to find that it was a real place; this is such a good blend of fiction and fact that it draws one right in. Fort Myers better open their hurricane shelters (and all public shelters) soon; the only good news is that it isn't hurricane season in this point in the story (at this point, it had been nearly 24 years since Fort Myers was hit directly by a hurricane, in 1960, with Hurricane Donna (the second-strongest storm after the 1935 hurricane, until Andrew hit in 1992), and it would be 2004 before another hurricane hit (Charley); the southwestern Florida coast gets hit far less than the eastern coast of Florida)...

Interestingly, my uncle lived in southwestern Florida during this time (he worked on a private island, IIRC), and my cousin and her kids live in Sarasota, and my grandmother lived in North Port for years...

Looking up the TV affiliates located in Florida gives me three for the Fort Myers area that the Klima and Simmons families could get: WINK-TV (the NBC affiliate and oldest), WBBH-TV (the CBS affiliate, started in 1968), and WEVU-TV (now WZVN-TV, and the ABC affiliate; they started in 1974). Now, if the apartments have an antenna, then they could get Miami or Tampa-St. Petersburg (and these affiliates will be important after the war in distributing information). This is leaving out the radio stations in that part of Florida, of course...

BTW, liked the Billy Joel song cameo (if he isn't on tour, he's on Long Island, so he's likely screwed), and I hope you have an appearance by a famous Keys native (hint: he sang the song "Margaritaville.")

Glad Klima is preparing for the worst, and waiting for more...

Hope this wins a Turtledove; it's that good...

Last edited:
Looking up the TV affiliates located in Florida gives me three for the Fort Myers area that the Klima and Simmons families could get: WINK-TV (the NBC affiliate and oldest), WBBH-TV (the CBS affiliate, started in 1968), and WEVU-TV (now WZVN-TV, and the ABC affiliate; they started in 1974). Now, if the apartments have an antenna, then they could get Miami or Tampa-St. Petersburg (and these affiliates will be important after the war in distributing information). This is leaving out the radio stations in that part of Florida, of course...

When the missiles start flying, two of those Fort Myers TV stations, and all but one of the AM and FM stations, will shut down, per government regulations. The remaining TV, AM and FM stations will be the ones operating under the Emergency Broadcast System 'in cooperation with the federal government and state and local authorities'. Given the Governor's remarks in an earlier thread, I wonder if the state will give authorization for all the stations to return to the air, or order them shut down because the state is so close to Cuba. Remember in the prime P&S thread, where after the war Stockholm was nuked by a Soviet sub because it heard a radio station broadcasting news of some sort of summit there?

Wolverinethad,

Great update! Definitely captures the crazed atmosphere and panicked decision-making from the national and state governments. People are getting worried, governments have no clue how to respond, and everyone knows it's going to be global suicide. The characters know it and the environment reflects it. Good work!

If you want to have some sort of news coverage of events in East Asia, I'd be happy to drop you a PM with information about PLA movements in Northeastern China, combat intensity, and casualties along the Ussuri River. As Deng and the Politburo would be censoring all news coming out of the front, it'd all have to be 'unverified rumors,' but it'd give some great global context. AFAIK, Western coverage would largely be via CNN and guys like Harrison Salisbury, NYT's primary East Asian correspondent who IOTL covered Tiananmen Square. Jim Laurie did a few reports beginning in 1978 for ABC News. I'd guess he would probably be their on-the-ground person. You could even have a few patchy videos showing trains filtering into Shanghai filled with overflow casualties from field hospitals to the north.

Keep it up!

Last edited:
Yeah, living in an apartment myself (though its more of a duplex), those steps are entirely understandable, IMO. I looked up the Jackson Plaza Apartments in Fort Myers and I'm a little surprised (though not much, honestly) to find that it was a real place; this is such a good blend of fiction and fact that it draws one right in. Fort Myers better open their hurricane shelters (and all public shelters) soon; the only good news is that it isn't hurricane season in this point in the story (at this point, it had been nearly 24 years since Fort Myers was hit directly by a hurricane, in 1960, with Hurricane Donna (the second-strongest storm after the 1935 hurricane, until Andrew hit in 1992), and it would be 2004 before another hurricane hit (Charley); the southwestern Florida coast gets hit far less than the eastern coast of Florida)...

Interestingly, my uncle lived in southwestern Florida during this time (he worked on a private island, IIRC), and my cousin and her kids live in Sarasota, and my grandmother lived in North Port for years...

BTW, liked the Billy Joel song cameo (if he isn't on tour, he's on Long Island, so he's likely screwed), and I hope you have an appearance by a famous Keys native (hint: he sang the song "Margaritaville.")

I can't say I'm a Jimmy Buffett fan, and so, to quote a Soviet character in a movie that doesn't get made in this TL: "If he dies, he dies."

About the apartments: I actually took time to research this plot point. I did neighborhood searches for apartments that fit the need, came across them, saw that they were vintage cement boxes, and so they fit. I lucked out--real life backed me up. If one is doing alternate history, I feel, one should be faithful to their reality.

So, you could handle a question, then. What kind of power plants were in the area?

I couldn't find exact information for 1984 (and I am still searching), but, according to Wikipedia, in 2011, there were 15 units, made up of 1 gas, 2 gas/oil, and 12 oil (again, this is in 2011, not 1984) from the Florida Power and Light Company (now part of NextEra). Plus, there's the Lee County Electrical Cooperative...

Here are some links: http://www.nexteraenergy.com/ and http://www.lcec.net. Maybe they'll be helpful, wolverinethad...

One more interesting fact: at this time, Fort Myers usually has its Festival of Light to celebrate its founding (in dedication to Thomas Edison), starting on February 11th and continuing for two more weeks; I suspect that was postponed in light of increasing tensions...

Chapter 33
Chapter 33
February 17, 1984
Gainesville, Florida

It had been a sleepless night for Bob Graham. Around 3 am, he finally gave up, and walked to the coffee room the hotel had set up near the emergency offices of the State of Florida. Pouring a cup of coffee, Graham pondered that this was going to be one of those things that might become scarce in the span of a few days. If I'm alive to enjoy coffee, I won't take it for granted. With that cheery thought, he made his way to Major General Ensslin's "War Room," where there were communications set up with the National Military Command Center and with the various bases around the state. Two large maps, one of the state and another of the country, were hung on a wall. On a table, a smaller map of Germany laid out, presumably to foresee what may come. A few enlisted men and two officers had the overnight duty. Graham went to speak to the senior one. "Good morning, Colonel. How are things going out there?"

"Well, we're on strip alert across the country now. That means that planes are out of hangars, on the deck, and ready to fly when the alarm sounds. We've got E-3A Sentry and E-2C Hawkeye aircraft flying patrols off the coasts, looking for any potential dangers out of Cuba. We got lucky with Grenada, if Ronnie hadn't decided to go in there, they'd have had that runway complete, sir. That'd make us a fatter target than we already are," the colonel replied. "Yeah, I thought it was stupid last fall, but I guess the President had more foresight than I gave him credit for," the governor said. "Do you think they're going to come? Are they really launching a war?"

"Sir, they're a bunch of old, scared men, so scared they've gone and done what they've never done before: they gave a military man complete control of the country. We had indications that Andropov wanted to hand off to a younger Politburo member, but he's out now, and probably dead. That was a paranoid bastard right there, all those years in the KGB. So, you've got addled fools like Chernenko, old Stalinists like Ustinov and Gromyko, and Kryuchkov at KGB. All of the top slots are headed by the very old guard, and they fear us, and that fear makes for a bad combination. They probably believe their own rhetoric, and Ogarkov is a pragmatist who was willing to subsume all of that to push their rhetoric. Think of how he pressed his defense of the KAL shootdown, despite everyone knowing they were lying. Ogarkov literally has control of everything, and that hasn't been the case since Stalin. He probably knows this is a bad idea, but he's going to eagerly carry it forward instead of pumping the brakes. I really have to question what's going on over there and what they're thinking. It's terrifying," concluded the colonel.

"What's your name and function here?" Graham asked.

"Lieutenant Colonel Castillo, sir. I was a homicide lieutenant in Miami when I got called up. The general had me assigned to intelligence, so here I am. Beats commanding a battalion in Germany. I might just survive here. Everyone over there, it'll be a miracle if anyone walks out of it alive. Ground war is going to be a meat grinder, and while those new M1 Abrams tanks we have are beautiful, the Soviets have so damn much of everything that numbers will overwhelm you, like the Lilliputians in Gulliver's Travels."

Miami, Florida

Despite the interior siting of the Emergency Operations Center, it was still nerve-wracking for everyone inside when the sirens went off as scheduled for the test. Some of the civilian workers cringed at the sound, and in the streets, people froze. Every TV and radio station and the newspapers had all said the test would happen, but the actual sound had an effect on everyone. For the three minutes that the wailing noise blasted through the air, nothing happened. Workers stopped, traffic stopped, and the populace waited for it to stop so they knew it was indeed a test. That morning, the state police had announced that I-75 was northbound only until Weston, while I-95 was northbound until West Palm Beach, at which point people could break off onto other roadways. US-1 was cleared for the mandatory evacuation of Keys residents. Shelters were opened further north, now, all along the coastal communities from Boca Raton to Palm Bay, to accommodate the influx. National Guard companies were deployed in these areas to work with police and sheriff's departments in keeping peace and guiding the flow of traffic. The message was undeniable: war was coming to Florida, and you're best off leaving certain areas if you can.

In Tampa and St. Petersburg, those residents who chose to leave had fewer options. Orlando was out, and most people were afraid of going south to Fort Myers. To them, south meant being closer to Cuba and to danger, so they went east to Daytona Beach and St. Augustine or north to Gainesville and Ocala. Some of these people would've gone to Daytona in any case, since (at the moment) the Daytona 500 had not been cancelled. These people largely owned RV's or trailers, something that would be of use in alleviating the strain on resources in that area, although the gas rationing going into effect at 6 pm would put a crimp in that. Orlando itself was eerily quiet. The theme parks had closed after the flying ban went into effect yesterday, but many vacationers were stranded. Disney loaned school buses from the city and drove those who weren't able to fly out up to Atlanta Hartsfield, which was still open, but the going was slow with so many people desperate to leave.

In the Panhandle, people made their way to Biloxi and Gulfport primarily, with some enterprising types going to Troy, Alabama, home to Troy University and thereby a place with shelter (in their minds), not knowing that local folks from Montgomery were making their way to it as well, causing a number of fights and an angry call from George Wallace to Graham threatening to barricade the highways, even though such an action was unconstitutional (the Lemuel Penn case). Graham decided to take action on his own and have the roads to Alabama blocked off by state patrolmen miles south of the border. It wasn't legal, either, but it was easier to defend, and Graham didn't need more trouble than he had already. He opened up buildings at Florida State University, and messages were broadcast on all radio stations urging those headed for Alabama to go to Tallahassee. Graham was taking a major risk, despite Ensslin's assurances that Tallahassee wasn't a target, because if he were wrong, he'd have condemned many people to death in the worst possible way.

New York, NY

"Reporting from New York, Tom Brokaw."

"Good evening from New York, where tonight, America nervously awaits the expiration of the Soviet ultimatum. We are four and a half hours away from six am Moscow time, when the Soviets said NATO forces must leave West Germany. NBC News will be on the air live again at 10 pm, Eastern Time, as we await the possible outbreak of war between the Soviet Union and NATO forces. Our correspondent in Moscow has been unavailable since the ultimatum was issued, along with those from the other networks. The Soviets claimed, through their embassy in Switzerland, that there are "communication difficulties," a reason that the American government, along with our network, has rejected. Meanwhile, tonight, here's Garrick Utley in Wolfsburg, West Germany."

"Good evening, Tom. It is 1:30 am here in Wolfsburg, one of the main crossing points into East Germany. This is likely to be one of the locations where the Warsaw Pact forces cross the border if they decide to invade the West. The Bonn government ordered a mandatory evacuation the moment the Soviet ultimatum was given to NATO headquarters in Brussels. Anyone within 50 kilometers of the border had to be out by midnight, and except for a few hardy souls determined to not run from the Soviets again, Wolfsburg is a ghost town tonight. The same is true of the countless towns and villages along the border. 38 years ago Germany was cut in two, and 30 years ago the border became permanent. Now, the reunification of Germany may be at the barrel of Soviet guns. Tom?"

"Thank you for that report, Garrick. Now, to the White House, where Chris Wallace is standing by. Chris?"

"Tom, the atmosphere has been enormously tense all day. The Reagan administration has been on countless phone calls with its NATO allies, as well as fruitless attempts to speak to the Soviets. Ambassador Dobrynin came and went from the West Wing, refusing to answer a single question. Massive protests took place outside the Soviet embassy today, requiring dozens of D.C. police to keep them from storming the gates. Smoke could be seen pouring from the chimneys, a sign, Tom, that they were burning their documents. The gates are locked, now, and Marines from the Marine Barracks here are guarding the embassy. In short, everyone believes war is going to be a certainty, and the only question is, who fires the first shot?"

"Chris, have you had a chance to speak to anyone besides the press office? Has anyone given any indication of why this has become inevitable?"

"Tom, nobody has been available. We've been kept pretty well cooped up in the press area or on the front lawn, well away from seeing any arrivals or departures. Of course, we have cameras in Lafayette Park, which is how we saw the Ambassador's car earlier today. We do know that the Vice President and his family left their official residence at the Naval Observatory yesterday here in Washington, but where they went, we do not know that answer. Larry Speakes says that Vice President is hard at work, using his worldwide experience and contacts to try and settle this crisis down before any border is breached. I would imagine, though, that if war breaks out, the Vice President will certainly be moved elsewhere. Congress recessed this afternoon, although many members headed back to their home districts or states a few days ago now. The leadership's whereabouts are unknown tonight, as they were taken under heavy security out of the Capitol after they recessed."

"Thank you, Chris. When we come back, we'll check in with more of our reporting team across the globe. Please stay tuned."

Good chapter. At this point, I am not envying any state governor here; Graham's job is difficult, and it's only going to get more difficult as time goes on...

Nice to see Castillo making an appearance (hey, he's more likely to survive in Gainesville). Maybe he'll run into Klima postwar (assuming both survive, of course)?

Those sirens should be a tipoff for some people who have avoided war that this shit is about to get real. Like the steps being taken, such as the evacuation of the Keys (this is going to make things even more of a mess in south Florida, since we already know what's coming). If I were heading Fort Myers, I'd open every school as a shelter (like with hurricanes, though here you don't have to worry about storm surge (1)).

Ironically, those people heading to Gulfport and Biloxi are (probably) doomed; Biloxi is on the list of nuked cities (this makes sense, considering that Kessler Air Force Base would be a likely target), and Gulfport is a secondary target (doesn't mean that it might be spared, though we'll see what happens during the Exchange (2))....

Again, liking the news reports; they bring a feeling of building tension and doom (especially given the Foregone Conclusion)...

BTW, congrats at reaching over 50k words; and hoping this wins a Turtledove next year...

(1) That and the fact that they won't get the radiation from the Midwest are the only good pieces of news for Florida...
(2) I suspect that February 21st will be the focus of several chapters, IMO...

Chapter 34
Chapter 34
February 17, 1984
11:33 pm
Miami, Florida

The Miami Emergency Operations Center had multiple televisions running with all three networks, plus CNN off the satellite. Regardless of that, a simple telephone call ended up being the way Miami found out that the Third World War began in earnest. Police Chief Ken Harms received the call from General Ensslin, then informed Mayor Ferré. The mayor quickly huddled Harms, the deputy chiefs, the fire chief, and his aides. The Mayor, Chief Harms, the fire chief, and a few aides would head to the Coral Gables shelter at "The U," while a deputy chief, Simmons, Klima and others would stay at the main facility. The state's engineers had reinforced the old fallout shelter well, and strengthened the communications. The fact was, though, it wasn't overly deep, and there were concerns that a groundburst close by would bury everyone in it. It was the best they had, though, because downtown Miami was not an option, and Coral Gables was at the edge of the burn radius of the expected target points. It was all they had, and you work with what you have, not what you wish you had.

The good news, such as it was, was that the Soviets hadn't opened their assault with tactical nuclear weapons or chemical weapons on the NATO frontlines. It had once been Soviet doctrine that they could use weapons of mass destruction to blow open the frontlines and then race for France, however, the development in the 1960s of the Force de Frappe no longer made that an option, because any such move would be met by a hail of French nuclear bombs. The French would gladly scorch the earth, literally, to prevent France from being occupied ever again. In a conventional war, NATO believed it could win now based on the technological superiority of its weaponry. The Soviets were about to test that theory in a big way with a massive assault of armor that made Hitler's Blitzkrieg look like a fart in a tornado. From Scandinavia to Italy, the Warsaw Pact was striking, and across the West, nervous people were viewing their televisions or listening to their radios in houses, basements, or shelters.

In Miramar, Manny Rivera was using his satellite dish, an acquisition he insisted on purchasing, to monitor news coverage around the world. He was pleased by the performance of Carr and Phillips, who'd kept him safe and prepared. With classes cancelled, Amber was somewhat restless, but as she saw the news that World War III was underway, that restlessness was replaced by the very real fear of a 22-year-old young woman, and she was glad she was nestled with her lover away from danger. She thought about her parents, and asked Manny if she could call them. He thought about saying no, but what was the point in upsetting her? Besides, they might die soon anyways, and so she should get the chance to talk to them. Manny's only direction was that she didn't say a word about being with him, which she obliged.

Two hours later, having relocated (with heavy police escort) to the Ungar Building shelter, the mayor initiated a conference call with the major hospitals in the city. All non-essential surgeries were cancelled, and all patients that could be released were to be released by 8 am. Many people were woken up in the middle of the night by calls from a hospital staffer, informing them of the cancelled procedures or that they needed to be at the hospital sometime before 8 am to pick up their relatives who were being released. Since this was in conflict with the statewide curfew, this required an order to be sent to police that the curfew was suspended for this night only to facilitate the clearing of hospitals. The police redeployed near hospitals with officers deployed in reflective vests with lit wands to guide people towards those hospitals and away from them, keeping streets clear from traffic jams. There was some objection over having so much light available for potential bombers, which was shot down when it was pointed out that modern aircraft only used lights as a last resort, so what was the point?

Homestead Air Force Base
0213 hours
February 18, 1984

The F-4 II Phantoms of the 482nd Fighter Wing (Reserve) took to the skies as the radars in the Keys detected inbound aircraft, likely Tu-16 Badgers, coming north from Cuba. The Soviets had been shipping increased amounts of freighters to Cuba, and reconnaissance showed that airplanes were being assembled on airfields across Cuba. There was no indication of any missiles, though, which meant the Soviets were sticking to the post-Cuban Missile Crisis agreement...but tactical nuclear bombs would be easy to hide, and so there was concern that any bombers leaving Cuba might be armed with nuclear weapons. The Badger was both a conventional and strategic bomber, so it wasn't paranoia to think the worst. It appeared to be a squadron of Badgers, with unknown fighters supporting. An E-3 Sentry moved further offshore to get more detailed information while the pilots of the ANG F-106s were suited and ready to take the sky if necessary.

Captain Scott Marshall led his flight of fighters towards the Badgers, climbing to 50,000 feet, well above their flight ceiling. Marshall's plan was to come in high and then dive right towards the bombers, with the intent of surprising them. The wing's deputy commander, a lieutenant colonel, was in the Sentry to guide the battle. It was soon confirmed that another squadron of MiG-23s were the escorts, making for a total of 24 targets. The Badger had gunners, just like the vintage WWII bombers, so the Phantoms didn't want to get too close...in back, at least. Maybe they could convince a Badger or two to dive a little too hard for the deck and therefore get a soft kill. As the Phantoms closed on the Badgers, the Sentry reported they were reducing altitude to avoid radar coverage while the fighters kept at 30,000 feet. Marshall and the leader of Flight Two, Captain Brock Forster, were detailed towards the Badgers, while a full squadron of Phantoms headed towards the MiGs. A reserve of two flights began circling about 20 miles off the coast, keeping the Sentry guarded and ready to catch any leakers.

Ten miles until contact, Marshall thought. He toggled his radio. "Flight Two, head left, I'll take Flight One right. Five miles out, we start diving down at these Commie bastards and shoot off our Sidewinders, then pull up tight and circle back to pick off some more with the Sparrows. Sound good?" Forster replied, "That's a little hard on our fuel state, but fuck it, sounds good to me." Forster led his flight off. As they passed the five mile mark, Marshall and his three wingmen headed down at the left flank of the Tu-16s while Forster went in for the right flank. As they headed down, they saw flashes as the two fighter squadrons began engaging each other, AIM-7 Sparrows vs. AA-8 Aphids, with the Aphids lacking the range of the Sparrow, creating predictable results. Either way, Marshall and Forster didn't want to catch a stray one, so they banked a little further out before heading back in towards the bombers.

Captain Anatoly Grishin was in one of the Tu-16s, keeping a careful eye on everything as they continued moving lower towards the surface. It was nighttime and easy to plunge into the water if one wasn't paying attention. It was because of this that Grishin didn't trust his instruments too closely. He leveled out at four thousand feet, underneath most radar levels, unless, of course, a fighter jet was coming in hard. Grishin's radar warning sensors began lighting up and a harsh alarm going off in his ears. Oh, shit! Grishin began evasive maneuvers, trying to evade that which he couldn't see, but his computers did.

"We got 'em. Light these motherfuckers up! Flight One, Fox-Two!" Marshall and his wingmen fired off two AIM-9 Sidewinders, deadly short range air-to-air missiles that had been improved steadily since their first use in the late stages of the Vietnam War. Two missiles were each aimed at the four bombers making up the left flank, and the Badger wasn't known for its evasiveness. While three missiles missed, the other five struck true, taking down three bombers. Grishin was the only one who'd survived the initial onslaught, and as he banked again, he saw a Phantom shoot right past him. The distraction caused him to almost lose control, and he fought to straighten out his Badger. Damn this old excuse for a bomber! I wish I had a Backfire to take on these imperialists! Grishin was determined to salvage the mission, and so instead of heading towards the middle flight, he turned back left, hoping to draw fire away from them, so his comrades had a chance at success. In doing so, Captain Marshall picked him up doing his own turn and got behind the Badger, being careful to not get close enough to be shot at. Tracers still rippled into the sky, but Marshall was safely back enough to not get hit. Alright, Ivan, let's see how you escape this. "Lead One, Fox-Two!" Marshall fired two more AIM-9s at Grishin, and this time they tore through his right wing, sending the Badger tumbling into the sea. "Scratch that Badger! You know what that means, Flight?" His wingmen toggled their radios. "Sidewinder means never having to say you're sorry!" Marshall grinned inside his oxygen mask. "Goddamn right, Flight One. Now, let's head back and help our friends clean up."

There was no need. The reserve Phantoms got the remaining four Badgers and two escorts that had survived the initial wave. One of the Badgers got off a bomb, which landed on a beach on Duck Key. Other than a lot of sand and palm trees being thrown in the air, no damage was sustained. The first attempt to hit Florida was a massive failure.

Last edited:
Good chapter. Manny, surprisingly, getting a Pet the Dog moment here (his allowing Amber to call her parents), though I do understand his reasons for doing so...

I am glad the first Soviet attack on Florida failed. But this quote sounds ominous:
The first attempt to hit Florida was a massive failure.

Yeah, there will be other conventional attacks on Florida (don't discount the use of Soviet/Cuban sleeper cells in Florida (assuming they had them, of course))...

Waiting for more, of course...

Riveting stuff and well in keeping with the best of the P&Sverse.

A couple of unrelated thoughts come to mind:

* Does Graham at some point consider telling everyone south of I-4 to evacuate north? Because if (when) the attack takes place, the habitable portion of South Floirda is essentially going to be an island with ocean on three sides and a radiation river on the fourth. Getting them aid is going to be a Herculean effort, especially if all roadways run through fallout black territory. The logistics of evacuating everyone in South Florida would be mind-boggling, but I could easily picture them in the air bubble of a sunken ship with no help coming.

* @Unknown brings it up, but anyone hoping to hunker down in the northern Gulf Coast is going to get a rude, thermonuclear awakening. Between the Air Force base, the shipbuilding industry in Gulfport and the targets in Mobile (FEMA estimated about 11 strikes in southern Alabama and eight in southern Mississippi, to say nothing of Pensacola), there's little hope for survival there.

* Something I've thought about here and with Land of Flatwater, among other places: Would the TV networks evacuate to backup locations away from prime targets? Obviously the reporters have to be where the action is, but does Dan Rather need to be in NYC for the CBS Evening News in the final days? Would they have contingency plans, like the main radio station in Chipperback's Nebraska had to go to ground somewhere that wouldn't be wiped off the map? I think Ted Turner, the guy who has a smell ya later tape cued up for the end of the world, would have a plan to get his top people away from Atlanta; I'd hope the networks could commandeer some backwater affiliate and turn it into emergency broadcast HQ.

(edit to insert paragraph breaks)

Last edited: