Pre-2020 Democratic presidential or VP candidate from west of the Great Plains (I don't mean birthplace)

Believe it or not, until 2020 there had never been a Democratic presidential or vice-presidential candidate from west of the Great Plains. (By "from" I refer to place of recent residence when nominated and political base, not to birthplace. I am well aware that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and Adlai Stevenson II in Los Angeles. But for political purposes, they were both from Illinois.) The farthest west the Democrats have gone for presidential or vice-presidential candidates (before 2020) are NE and TX and SD--William Jennings Bryan, Charles Bryan, John Nance Garner, LBJ, George McGovern, Lloyd Bentsen. Nobody from the Rockies or west of the Rockies. Contrast that with the Republicans; Herbert Hoover and Earl Warren and Richard Nixon [1] and Ronald Reagan from CA ; Barry Goldwater and John McCain from AZ; Charles McNary from OR; Sarah Palin from AK. One might add Dick Cheney from WY, even though he was living in TX in 2000; he legally changed his residence back to WY and at the very least was a WY resident when renominated in 2004.

Some of the western Democrats who could have been nominated are obvious: William Gibbs McAdoo (a Californian after 1922);, Frank Church of ID; Gary Hart of CO; Jerry Brown (or maybe his father Pat Brown as running mate for a Protestant presidential nominee in 1960) and Tom Bradley and Allen Cranston of CA; Morris Udall of AZ; Scoop Jackson of WA; Bill Richardson of NM. But see if you can think of some less hackneyed choices, and remember--no current political figures. (They don't even all have to be post-1900--as I noted in another post, Justice Stephen Field was considered in 1880.)

[1] At least in 1952 he was clearly a Californian.

Believe it or not, until 2020 there had never been a Democratic presidential or vice-presidential candidate from west of the Great Plains. (By "from" I refer to place of recent residence when nominated and political base, not to birthplace. I am well aware that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and Adlai Stevenson II in Los Angeles. But for political purposes, they were both from Illinois.) The farthest west the Democrats have gone for presidential or vice-presidential candidates (before 2020) are NE and TX and SD--William Jennings Bryan, Charles Bryan, John Nance Garner, LBJ, George McGovern, Lloyd Bentsen. Nobody from the Rockies or west of the Rockies. Contrast that with the Republicans; Herbert Hoover and Earl Warren and Richard Nixon [1] and Ronald Reagan from CA ; Barry Goldwater and John McCain from AZ; Charles McNary from OR; Sarah Palin from AK. One might add Dick Cheney from WY, even though he was living in TX in 2000; he legally changed his residence back to WY and at the very least was a WY resident when renominated in 2004.

Some of the western Democrats who could have been nominated are obvious: William Gibbs McAdoo (a Californian after 1922);, Frank Church of ID; Gary Hart of CO; Jerry Brown (or maybe his father Pat Brown as running mate for a Protestant presidential nominee in 1960) and Tom Bradley and Allen Cranston of CA; Morris Udall of AZ; Scoop Jackson of WA; Bill Richardson of NM. But see if you can think of some less hackneyed choices, and remember--no current political figures. (They don't even all have to be post-1900--as I noted in another post, Justice Stephen Field was considered in 1880.)

[1] At least in 1952 he was clearly a Californian.
If I'm not mistaken, then-San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) was seriously considered for VP by Walter Mondale in 1984, and was also considered as a long-shot in both 2000 and 2004. I'm thinking that IATL in which she gets elected as Governor of California in 1990, one of these scenarios could have happened:
  • If Clinton loses in 1992 to Pres. Bush, she could have been a potential candidate either for President or Vice President in 1996 (of course, assuming that Gov. Ann Richards wouldn't have been interested in either office).
  • If everything else goes as IOTL, Gore could have asked her to be his running mate in 2000. She would have brought (a lot of) executive experience, strong support from the Jewish community (taking that key advantage away from Sen. Lieberman), female and possibly minority voters, and a solid rebuke of Pres. Clinton (which was another reason why Lieberman was chosen in the first place).

If I'm not mistaken, then-San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) was seriously considered for VP by Walter Mondale in 1984...

I didn't want to discuss her because she is still a US Senator. I want to keep currently active politicians out of this, even if they are no longer plausible presidential or vice-presidential possibilities.

I didn't want to discuss her because she is still a US Senator. I want to keep currently active politicians out of this, even if they are no longer plausible presidential or vice-presidential possibilities.
In that case, sorry :p. Although you should consider talking about some active politicians (being careful, of course) not only because you already mentioned pretty much all of the 20th century options, but also because those states have little history as strong Democratic states, not even at the state level (for instance, none of them were carried by a Democrat between 1964 and 1992, except Washington by Humphrey in 1968).

A part from who you had cited, I can remember:

From Alaska: Mike Gravel, for VP, in 1972.
From Hawaii: ?
From Washington: Gary Locke, for VP, in 2004 and 2008.
From Oregon: Wayne Morse, for POTUS, in 1960.
From California: Sam Yorty, for POTUS, in 1972.
From Idaho: maybe Glen Taylor, for VP or POTUS, in early 1950s.
From Montana: Burton Wheeler, for VP or POTUS, between 1924 and 1940; Thomas Walsh, for VP or POTUS, between 1924 and 1932.
From Nevada: Grant Sawyer for VP between 1960 and 1968.
From Utah: ?
From Arizona: John McCain, for VP, in 2004.
From New Mexico: ?
From Colorado: Henry Teller, for VP, between 1900 and 1908.

Chapman

Donor
Barbara Boxer, don't think I've seen her mentioned yet although her Senatorial counterpart Dianne Feinstein was mentioned. She was actually Kamala Harris's predecessor in the Senate and could've ended up a Gore running mate or perhaps she could've been persuaded to run herself.

Chapman

Donor
Another, perhaps more interesting thought I just came up with - Ralph Yarborough as veep in a timeline where RFK lives and becomes POTUS. Not sure how likely it is but I like the idea.

Another, perhaps more interesting thought I just came up with - Ralph Yarborough as veep in a timeline where RFK lives and becomes POTUS. Not sure how likely it is but I like the idea.

Texas is not a Rocky Mountain or Pacific Coast state. If it counted as "western" the Democrats would already have nominated several "westerners" (Garner, LBJ, Bentsen--and since Texas is no further west than SD or NE, the Bryans and McGovern as well).

Chapman

Donor
Texas is not a Rocky Mountain or Pacific Coast state. If it counted as "western" the Democrats would already have nominated several "westerners" (Garner, LBJ, Bentsen--and since Texas is no further west than SD or NE, the Bryans and McGovern as well).

My bad, totally glossed over that part.

Possible VP candidates from the West
1960: Senator Henry M. Jackson of Washington (D), Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona (R)
1964: Governor Pat Brown of California (D), Chief Justice Earl Warren of California (R)
1968: Mayor of San Francisco Joseph Alioto of California (D), Governor Ronald Reagan of California (R)
1972: Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska (D), Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon (R)
1976: Senator Henry M. Jackson of Washington (D), Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska (R)
1980: Secretary of Education Shirley Hufstedler of California (D), Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada (R)
1984: Mayor of Los Angeles Tom Bradley of California (D), Governor Victor Atiyeh of Oregon (R)
1988: Senator Brock Adams of Washington (D), Governor George Deukmeijan of California (R)
1992: Representative Nancy Pelosi of California (D), Senator Pete Wilson of California (R)
1996: Former Governor Barbara Roberts of Oregon (D), California Attorney General Dan Lungren (R)
2000: Governor Gray Davis of California (D), Senator John Kyl of Arizona (R)
2004: Governor Ted Kulongoski of Oregon (D), Senator Lisa Murkuwski of Alaska (R)
2008: Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana (D), Secretary of the Interior Dick Kempthorne of Idaho (R)
2012: Senator Mark Begich of Alaska (D), Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico (R)
2016: Governor John Hickenlooper of Colorado (D), Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington (R)

James Garner, Robert Vaughn and Gregory Peck were all active Democrats who passed on running for California Governor, have always liked the idea of one of them having a career and coming to the Presidency as a kind of Reagan of the left.

Pat Brown's name was banded about as a possible running mate for Stevenson, Kennedy and LBJ.

Democratic Senator John Tunney of California seemed a tailor made Presidential candidate, but he lost his run for a second term in 1976 to the eccentric S.I Hayakawa. If Tunney had won the race and then 1982, he could have run in 84 or 88.

How about Dave Freudenthal? Re-elected as Democratic governor of Wyoming with almost 70% of the vote (albeit in 2006, a pretty positive Democratic year). Could possibly have been a Western version of Jimmy Carter (i.e. someone unknown but seen as electable).