Potential impacts of the A-bomb being dropped over Germany

The general public opinion in the WAllied nations would...

• Be a heck lot more disturbed and concerned compared to OTL due to fellow Whites getting nuked

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Not really that different to OTL reactions to Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • Less disturbed and concerned of the power of the bomb since the target were the literal Nazis

Votes: 16 17.0%

• Total voters
Something I've been wondering for awhile lately, but let's say that for whatever reason either the lab in Los Alamos somehow manages to put together Trinity earlier or/and the Nazis (probably by sheer dumb miraculous luck) somehow manage to last just long enough to justify the "Germany First" policy. What then?

1 - Where would a bomb be dropped on? Most major industrial centres would have been firebombed to heck by that point. Would Little Boy/Fat Man be dropped over Berlin in a decapitation strike or would a "symbolic" target (i.e. Nuremburg) have been chosen?

2 - Is an A-bombing of Germany really guaranteed? Hiroshima and Nagasaki happened due to the fears of how ugly Downfall could get. Will the same concern still apply without the whole "complicated naval invasion restricted to areas bound to be heavily defended by a fanatical population" concerns, or is the fact that the Third Reich is still fighting in this scenario able to warrant a similar "put a quick end to it all" attitude.

3 - Assuming the bomb isn't going to be dropped over Hitler's head, will the Nazis surrender in the aftermath of the bombing? Hitler himself probably wouldn't, but could this spur the man into suicide and/or encourage a coup? Or are we seeing a nasty doubling down by the Germans, possibly indifference given all the prior devastation of the allied bombing campaigns.

4 - What kind of impact will a German nuking have culturally? Is a major European urban area being vaporized in a second going to hit too close to home and create even more anti-nuclear sentiment relative to OTL, or are the Nazis being Nazis going to cause a heck lot less perceptions of moral ambiguity down the road?

5 - Given the size of the occupation forces post-war and the fact that it would be a European population affected, will there be any difference on how the aftermath (i.e. radiation sickness and birth deformities) of the bomb be perceived and handled? I know this and the question prior sound rather sketch, but would White European victims really cause any actual change in attitude in regards to the perception of the sheer destructiveness of the atomic bomb?

And 6 - About Japan. No Hiroshima or Nagasaki for them (yet?), but would word of the aftermath of the bombs going off in Germany be enough for them to surrender? The existence of the nukes already renders the strategy of "fight a brutal war of attrition until the Allies lose their will to continue" moot, but would a personal demonstration of the power of the bombs still be required to convince them to give in to the Allied demands?

Last edited:
Where would a bomb be dropped on? Most major industrial centres would have been firebombed to heck by that point. Would Little Boy/Fat Man be dropped over Berlin in a decapitation strike or would a "symbolic" target (i.e. Nuremburg) have been chosen?
If its before February then my money would be Dresden, for the same reasons it was targeted OTL.

3 - Assuming the bomb isn't going to be dropped over Hitler's head, will the Nazis surrender in the aftermath of the bombing?
Not a chance. The Nazis didn't surrender while they were being hit by SHORT RANGE artillery pointed at their capital.

No Hiroshima or Nagasaki for them (yet?), but would word of the aftermath of the bombs going off in Germany be enough for them to surrender?
Nope. Even after being hit twice OTL Japan had a significant faction among the officers who wanted to fight on, and tried to launch a coup against the Emperor to prevent the surrender.

3 - Assuming the bomb isn't going to be dropped over Hitler's head, will the Nazis surrender in the aftermath of the bombing? Hitler himself probably wouldn't, but could this spur the man into suicide and/or encourage a coup? Or are we seeing a nasty doubling down by the Germans, possibly indifference given all the prior devastation of the allied bombing campaigns.

For all the talk of Japan being culturally different then Europe and idolizing death, only one Axis power fought to the last room of the last block of the last city. And it wasn't Japan.

I don't know but i think any poll containing "fellow whites" from a dude with a kkk avatar is a massive red flag in my book
Erm, couple of things:

1) Am Filipino (as the pfp hints), literally too Asian for the Klan to tolerate, and the feeling is mutual. It's a weird silly joke in regards to the Katipunan's initials.

2) The idea is that, due to the racism so common among the (overwhelmingly white) WAllied populations of the 1940s, could it be they would find other whites getting nuked way more upsetting than Asians getting turned to ash.

EDIT: Since the posting of this response, I have changed my avatar to prevent future confusion. It still uses Katipunan symbolism, but in the form of the "Ka" of the native Tagalog script.

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
KKK is the acronym for a Philippines resistance group in the Philippines Revolution
The Katipunan had some interesting beginnings.
Valenzuela recounted:

“Emilio Jacinto took charge of drafting a message addressed to the Emperor of Japan through the courtesy of the admiral. Informed of the intention of the organizing committee of the Katipunan to give a reception to the admiral, Tagawa courteously offered to serve as interpreter and to introduce the committee members to the Japanese admiral. Early in the morning of the following day Tagawa came to my house on Calle Lavezares and told me that the meeting with the admiral would take place at 10 o’clock that morning, the day after I was informed for the first time of the admiral’s visit. The reception was to take place in the upper story of the ‘Japanese Bazaar’ in Plaza Moraga. At 9 o’clock sharp the members of the committee were all at my house at No. 35 (now No. 408) Calle Lavezares. Among those who were with me were: Andres Bonifacio, Emilio Jacinto, Enrique Pacheco, Cipriano Pacheco, Jose Dizon, Aguedo del Rosario, Candido Tirona, Daniel Tirona, and Alejandro Santiago. From my house we proceeded to the Japanese Bazaar.

“At exactly 10 o’clock the Japanese admiral arrived, and Tagawa made the introductions and presented to the admiral the message of the Katipunan that had been written by Jacinto. After the customary greetings, Jacinto delivered a brief speech of welcome to the admiral in Tagalog that was translated to Japanese by Tagawa. The admiral’s reply touched on the freedom of Oriental nations. He said he was happy to hear of the existence of an association such as the Katipunan, a society of the sons of the country, and that he hoped to see the independence of our country. Jacinto in his speech declared that the liberty and independence cherished by the members of the Katipunan would be realized with the cooperation of the Japanese nation, being the only nation in the Far East which could lend help to the Philippines in the manner that France lent aid to the United States to secure the latter’s independence.

“The message of the Katipunan presented by Tagawa to the Japanese admiral for the Emperor of Japan was more or less in this tenor:

“‘The Filipino people greet the Emperor of Japan and the entire Japanese nation, with the hope that the light of liberty in Japan will also shed its rays in the Philippines…’”

That afternoon they sent some presents to the admiral: a wood frame carved by a Filipino sculptor that cost P60, and P14 worth of ripe mangoes bought that day from Divisoria. The mangoes are long gone, but this wood carving showing Filipinos pounding and husking rice might still be in some museum or archive together with the Katipunan letter to the modern-thinking Emperor Meiji of Japan.

Was something lost in translation? Are these documents extant together with the admiral’s account of the meeting with Bonifacio and the Katipunan?
The thing is... the Americans knew this was ongoing, and they were not pleased at all. They were having problems in HAWAII with similar events.

McPherson

Banned
I mean yeah. I know that. My point is that PorkNugget accuse AJ of being some sort of white supremacist. I just refuting that
One has to be careful on both sides of the mirror. One would be surprised at how obtuse the reaction can be if the observer brings his own perspective to the symbolism that he may misinterpret if he does not know the context. For example "I" goofed until I second looked and realized it was the Katipunan of the Filipino Revolution of 1893. It is like the Swastika symbol in Finland and India. It, the broken cross, does not mean to the Finns and the Hindu peoples what it means to those persons, or their descendants who fought the Nazis or the "KKK" does to those who oppose the Klan.

Believe me, I goofed. I was wrong in my first quick impression. What makes it so bad is that I KNEW better. For crying out loud, I'm doing the Spanish American War timeline.

McP.

McPherson

Banned
Sorry to go off topic, so on the question of the German war, I think that even as early as February with the progress of the ground war and the endgame agreed among the Allies, I think a Silverplate Special would be "questionable" unless it is dropped on Nurnberg or Berlin. Decapitation was the only justification. it would be done on that basis.

The Japanese needed multiple shocks. Bombs and the Russians in combo was what convinced the war criminal, Hirohito. People forget, HE made the call to quit and HE made it stick. The other members of the war council lacked the authority or the prestige to decide. He was the god-emperor, until MacArthur took him down a peg in that famous postwar Shogun photograph.

Whatever gripes I have about "Mister Corncob Pipe", he understood the politics and the symbolism.

The situation in Europe? Atom bombs might have upset the Europeans. Americans of that generation would not sweat it. They were kind of annoyed as it was that the fascists were raising hell and forcing them to cross an ocean to put things back together. There is a famous American film, called "The Americanization of Emily" in which the actor, James Garner, explains Coca Cola Imperialism and the American attitude as written by Paddy Chayefsky who went through that bullshit.

The Americans of that generation, interventionist or isolationist, were THAT angry.

Something I've been wondering for awhile lately, but let's say that for whatever reason either the lab in Los Alamos somehow manages to put together Trinity earlier or/and the Nazis (probably by sheer dumb miraculous luck) somehow manage to last just long enough to justify the "Germany First" policy. What then?

1 - Where would a bomb be dropped on? Most major industrial centres would have been firebombed to heck by that point. Would Little Boy/Fat Man be dropped over Berlin in a decapitation strike or would a "symbolic" target (i.e. Nuremburg) have been chosen?
Some previously discussion on here has indicated that the Luna Works might've been a pretty good target. Most industrial targets when struck by a conventional bombing run, would be repaired within a few weeks unless continually restruck, but a direct hit by a 20 kiloton device probably wouldn't have left much too repair. Putting an atom bomb in her would be a good signal to the Germans what their dealing with and wipe out the largest synthetic fuel plant too boot.
2 - Is an A-bombing of Germany really guaranteed? Hiroshima and Nagasaki happened due to the fears of how ugly Downfall could get. Will the same concern still apply without the whole "complicated naval invasion restricted to areas bound to be heavily defended by a fanatical population" concerns, or is the fact that the Third Reich is still fighting in this scenario able to warrant a similar "put a quick end to it all" attitude.
That... probably depends more on the prevailing situation. If it's because, say, D-Day in '44 failed but come August '45 the Soviets have taken Berlin and are rolling through Central Germany while the WAllies landing in Southern France is at last now rapidly driving for the Rhine, then there probably isn't as much impetus to do compared too a situation where the Soviets collased in '41 or '42 and the German ground forces are looking so strong that the WAllies don't even dare attempt a landing.
An excellent question! It's certainly a possibility, but how much of a probability is it? I can't say. I can definitely say it's not something that's necessarily guaranteed, but whether it's more or less likely is up in the air. Too many unknowables.
4 - What kind of impact will a German nuking have culturally? Is a major European urban area being vaporized in a second going to hit too close to home and create even more anti-nuclear sentiment relative to OTL, or are the Nazis being Nazis going to cause a heck lot less perceptions of moral ambiguity down the road?
Probably a little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column B here, at least in Europe.
5 - Given the size of the occupation forces post-war and the fact that it would be a European population affected, will there be any difference on how the aftermath (i.e. radiation sickness and birth deformities) of the bomb be perceived and handled? I know this and the question prior sound rather sketch, but would White European victims really cause any actual change in attitude in regards to the perception of the sheer destructiveness of the atomic bomb?
Probably not outside of Europe.
And 6 - About Japan. No Hiroshima or Nagasaki for them (yet?), but would word of the aftermath of the bombs going off in Germany be enough for them to surrender? The existence of the nukes already renders the strategy of "fight a brutal war of attrition until the Allies lose their will to continue" moot, but would a personal demonstration of the power of the bombs still be required to convince them to give in to the Allied demands?
Good questions and let me toss in a third one: Might the fact the nukes have already been used on Germany take off the shock altogether enough that even using them on Japan doesn't convince them to surrender? This is another one where I have to admit the imponderables are too much for us too say and all I can answer is "maybe, maybe not."

Last edited:
Sorry to go off topic, so on the question of the German war, I think that even as early as February with the progress of the ground war and the endgame agreed among the Allies, I think a Silverplate Special would be "questionable" unless it is dropped on Nurnberg or Berlin. Decapitation was the only justification. it would be done on that basis.

The Japanese needed multiple shocks. Bombs and the Russians in combo was what convinced the war criminal, Hirohito. People forget, HE made the call to quit and HE made it stick. The other members of the war council lacked the authority or the prestige to decide. He was the god-emperor, until MacArthur took him down a peg in that famous postwar Shogun photograph.

Whatever gripes I have about "Mister Corncob Pipe", he understood the politics and the symbolism.

What do you know? I've got a @McPherson post I can pretty much agree with. :angel:

This topic has come up a number of times at AHC. Sometimes the context shapes the answer. And the biggest context we have to clarify is: When does this happen? When in this ATL do the Allies have the Bomb ready? Because that makes a difference. @ObsessedNuker rightly raised this point just now. If it's close enough to VE Day, when the Allies are on or over the Rhine, I think the odds are Roosevelt and Churchill do *not* drop the Bomb on Germany. Because a) it is not needed any longer to defeat Germany (let alone to avert an Allied defeat), b) high risks involved (See below), and c) dropping it on Germany alerts the Japanese to its existence, and Roosevelt and Churchill were pretty damned sure they were going to need to use it on Japan.

The last time the subject came up, the premise was basically a year or so earlier -- early enough that its use might make a difference in the war against Germany. So let's say it its a least late (3Q/4Q) 1944 or earlier. That being the case, I can copypasta a lot of one of my earlier posts on this....

McPherson hints at the first point I would like to make: Any targeting plans regarding Germany would have been considerably shaped by the more robust aerial defenses the Reich still possessed at the end of 1944 - defenses which were much more robust than those of Japan in August 1945 (which were negligible at best, with the remaining planes, fuel and pilots being hoarded for use against OLYMPIC and CORONET).

In fact, there wasn't really any planning at all with regards to targets in Germany. In part this was because of the prospect that the Bomb would not be ready in time anyway, but also because of concerns over the dangers that a bomber would be shot down, and the risk the Germans might recover it intact. The first targeting discussion, in early 1943 (involving a group composed of Gen. Groves, Vannevar Bush, James B. Conant, Admiral William Purnell, and Major General Wilhelm Styer) actually proposed Truk Lagoon, which at that point was the main base for the IJN Combined Fleet:

The point of use of the first bomb was discussed and the general view appeared to be that its best point of use would be on a Japanese fleet concentration in the Harbor of Truk. General Styer suggested Tokio but it was pointed out that the bomb should be used where, if it failed to go off, it would land in water of sufficient depth to prevent easy salvage. The Japanese were selected as they would not be so apt to secure knowledge from it as would the Germans.

More directly interesting is a postwar interview with Leslie Groves, where he brings up the dangers of German aerial defenses:

REPORTER: General Groves, could we go back for a minute. You mentioned in your book [Now it Can Be Told] that just before the Yalta Conference that President Roosevelt said if we had bombs before the European war was over he would like to drop them on Germany.3 Would you discuss this?
GROVES: At the conference that Secretary Stimson and myself had with President Roosevelt shortly before his departure, I believe it was December 30th or 31st of 1944, President Roosevelt was quite disturbed over the Battle of the Bulge and he asked me at that time whether I could bomb Germany as well as Japan. The plan had always been to bomb Japan because we thought the war in Germany was pretty apt to be over in the first place and in the second place the Japanese building construction was much more easily damaged by a bomb of this character than that in Germany. I urged President Roosevelt that it would be very difficult for various reasons.
The main one was that the Germans had quite strong aerial defense. They made a practice, as every nation does, that when a new plane came into the combat area, that they would run any risk that they could to bring such a plane down so that they could examine it and see what new ideas had come in so that they could make improvements and also would know the characteristics of the plane so that they could prepare a better defense against it. We had no B-29’s in Europe. If we had sent over a small squadron or group as we did against Japan of this type, everyone of them would have been brought down on the first trip to Germany. If they hadn’t been, it would have been through no lack of effort on the part of the Germans.
The alternative would be to bring a large number of B-29’s over to to England and that would have been a major logistical task and the other possibility would have been to have used a British plane which would not have been a bit pleasing to General Arnold and also would have created a great many difficulties for our general operation because then it would be an Allied operation with the United States furnishing the bombs and everything connected with it but using a British plane and a British crew to actually drop the bomb and it would have raised a tremendous number of difficulties.
And difficulties like that — while you say you should be able to handle that — you can but in a project of this character there are so many little things, each one of them key, that you can’t afford to throw any more sand into the wheels that you can help.
The bombing of Germany with atomic bombs was, I would say, never seriously considered to the extent of making definite plans but on this occasion I told the President, Mr. Roosevelt, why it would be very unfortunate from my standpoint, I added that of course if the President — if the war demanded it and the President so desired, we would bomb Germany and I was so certain personally that the war in Europe would be over before we would be ready that you might say I didn’t give it too much consideration.

Working from this discussion, I think that if Groves had been ordered to bomb Germany in late 1944, what you would need to do would be this:

1) Proceed to deploy a sizable number of squadrons equipped with B-29s to England in 1944 as soon as they became available (which would, unfortunately, impinge on deployments to Guam), and work them into bombing raids over a variety of German targets during daylight, along with frequnt dispatch of slights of just 1-3 bombers o recon missions, so that the Germans become used to such flights;

2) Efforts would be escalated to wear down Luftwaffe fighter defenses and radar networks in western Germany;

3) The target would very likely be a) within fighter escort range, and b) no deeper into German aerial defenses than necessary, and, if possible (and this is not an easy one, since most German coastal cities had been badly bombed by 1944) c) a city still substantially intact, in order to assess effectiveness of the bomb, and also to gain maximum value from it.

To me, the most obvious fits would be one of the German coastal cities on the North Sea or perhaps Baltic -- it maximizes the chance that a shootdown drops the bomber and a-bomb into the sea. Of course, most were pretty well bombed conventionally by that point. RAF and USAAF commanders might be ordered to ease up on the primary city in the months before the attack, perhaps. @McPherson argues for a decapitation strike on Berlin, and it does have a certain attraction. Certainly the arguments against Tokyo in OTL would not be weighed in the same way against Berlin, since Hitler did not fill the same cultural and political role as Emperor Hirohito did, and indeed Hitler's death would probably produce a regime more willing to surrender, or surrender sooner, at any rate -- though that might depend on whether Himmler takes power. Still, Berlin would be a very high risk target. Any Silverplate B-29 would need to fight through a lot more air defense than Enola Gay did. And there is always the chance that Hitler is somewhere else when you bomb it.

4) On the raid itself, maximize protection of the bomber with heavy fighter attacks to tie up Luftwaffe assets; heavy bombing raids on other cities; and accompany the bomber itself with a sizable force of other B-29's and fighter escort.

Of course, employing a large escort means you put other planes and crews at risk for damage from the blast. There is just no getting around the fact that dropping a bomb on Germany would have been a more difficult task than doing it over Japan.

5) Given the risks involved, it might even be the case that the Allies would choose to wait until they had several bombs ready (based on OTL, this could be as little as two months delay), and attempt to drop them all at once for a) maximum shock value, and b) maximizing the chance that some actually get through. Calbear offered a variation on this strategy in his Anglo-American Nazi War timeline, and I think there is something to be said for it.

Now, if we are talking about earlier in the war (before D-Day, or even before Husky), then the analysis gets trickier. The B-29 would likely not be ready as delivery vehicle, for one; and German air defenses would be tougher. Roosevelt an Churchill would also appreciate that its use on Berlin or some major German cities (or even a handful at once) would be less likely to force a German surrender. Using a few on an invasion beach, on the other hand, has certain advantages, though you might have to put De Gaulle in a straitjacket in a soundproof room first....

Final Point: The OP asks specifically about the wider cultural impact. Well, I think the context in which the Bomb gets used is going to shape that response to a considerable degree.

Last edited:
Final Point: The OP asks specifically about the wider cultural impact. Well, I think the context in which the Bomb gets used is going to shape that response to a considerable degree.
Okay, so to clarify, the scenario I had in mind was definitely Post D-Day. Sometime in early/mid 1945 to be exact (hence the pre-requisite of "earlier bomb and/or ridiculously luckier German defensive efforts).

So there's either:

A) The bombs are ready much earlier somehow, say by February (most plausible scenario?)

B) The invasion of Germany somehow going "Downfall but European"; a bloody, slowburning hellish nightmare. So much that the Nazis are still fighting come August. (Reeaaallly stretching stuff here)

C) The closest to how I pictured it, bit of A and bit of B. Somewhat earlier bomb and somewhat better German defence. Bombings by May? (Happy medium or nah?).

Okay, so to clarify, the scenario I had in mind was definitely Post D-Day. Sometime in early/mid 1945 to be exact (hence the pre-requisite of "earlier bomb and/or ridiculously luckier German defensive efforts).

So there's either:

A) The bombs are ready much earlier somehow, say by February (most plausible scenario?)

B) The invasion of Germany somehow going "Downfall but European"; a bloody, slowburning hellish nightmare. So much that the Nazis are still fighting come August. (Reeaaallly stretching stuff here)

C) The closest to how I pictured it, bit of A and bit of B. Somewhat earlier bomb and somewhat better German defence. Bombings by May? (Happy medium or nah?).

Thanks....

In Scenario A, I really, really think Roosevelt declines to use the Bomb on Germany. It's too late to make a difference. Germany is on its last legs. And why tip off the Japanese?

In Scenario B, the attraction may in fact be to use the Bomb (let us say, a few bombs at once) on major German army concentrations on the Western Front. That could blast a big hole in the German defenses, and also minimize time over German air defenses, too.

Thanks....

In Scenario A, I really, really think Roosevelt declines to use the Bomb on Germany. It's too late to make a difference. Germany is on its last legs. And why tip off the Japanese?

In Scenario B, the attraction may in fact be to use the Bomb (let us say, a few bombs at once) on major German army concentrations on the Western Front. That could blast a big hole in the German defenses, and also minimize time over German air defenses, too.
And in the case of Scenario C?

Still too little too late to make a difference in vein of A or could it still be expended on a (miraculously?) "untouched" industrial centre or used "tactically" as in Scenario B?