We've had threads like this in the past, but I thought it would be worth opening a new one.

So, here are some discussion questions and my thoughts on them:

1. What is the plausibility?

From what I’ve seen on the website, it’s generally accepted that Polynesians landed in South America IOTL before Columbus, and through contact with the Native Americans (or just sneaking into someone’s garden at night) gained sweet potatoes. Matisoo et al. present some pretty compelling evidence in their book “Polynesians in the Americas” that this contact occurred, and may have occurred multiple times. If so, colonization of the Galapagos is entirely possible-it’s not further out of the Polynesian’s way than South America, just harder to hit than the vast Pacific coast.

“Polynesians in the Americas” argues that the specific point of contact where sweet potatoes were brought to Polynesia had to have been the Gulf of Guyaquil in what’s now Ecuador. The basis of this evidence is because most Polynesian languages refer to sweet potatoes as some variant of “kumara”. This is similar to some Native American languages, and has been presented as evidence for the pre-Columbian contact. However, the Native Americans who refer to sweet potatoes as something like ‘kumara’ lived upslope in the Andes-the Quechua and related peoples. They spoke different languages from the coastal peoples of what’s now Peru, Ecuador and Chile. The only exception was in the Gulf of Guyaquil, where people related to the Canari and Quechua had access to the sea. The Gulf of Guyaquil location puts the Polynesians within 600 miles of the Galapagos-a hop, skip and a jump to them during the age of voyaging.

I do have some skepticism of the Guyaquil contact theory for a few reasons. Firstly, it assumes that the distribution of languages on the coast and in the Andes was the same during the time of the Conquistadors (from where the information on some of the now-extinct coastal languages come from) as it was during the time of the Polynesian contact. There is also the fact that the people of the Gulf of Guyaquil were noted for building large, balsa wood rafts. It is entirely possible that ‘kumara’ were delivered into Polynesia on a raft swept out to sea on a storm. Finally, the absolute longest Polynesian voyage we have hard, concrete evidence for is a 4000 KM trip from Hawaii to the Tuomotu Group of atolls, where the sailors brought Hawaiitite either directly or through a trade network. The Gulf of Guyaquil is further away than that from ANY Polynesian island, including just barely from Easter Island (which was likely settled after Polynesians got sweet potatoes anyway).

But here we deal with plausibility, and Polynesian contact with the Americas-and therefore the Galapagos-is plausible.

2. From where/when do the Polynesians land?

Wilmshurst et al., after a vigorous review of carbon datings and archaeological evidence, have pushed the colonization of the Polynesian ‘fringe’ like Hawaii and Easter Island to well into the 13th century. They may have been too conservative, but the fact remains that the final stage of the Polynesian expansion was relatively late, ending in the 1200’s and giving way to a time of trade over exploration which lasted until roughly the 1450’s.

The only Polynesian island less than that distance to the Galapagos is Easter Island. There is some (though controversial) evidence that the Easter Islanders visited the Americas pre-contact, but this evidence is located far from the Galapagos on the coast of what's now Chile. Still, Easter Islanders exploring northward could have stumbled upon the Galapagos and settled there, particularly as conflict and environmental degradation made their homeland less desirable.

Matisoo et al. say that the sweet potato may have been brought to Polynesia-possibly even Central Polynesia-before the settlement of Hawaii and Easter Island, so it is entirely possible that the voyagers who discovered the sweet potato-and in a potential ATL, stumbled upon the Galapagos-came from central/eastern Polynesian archipelagos, such as the Society Islands or the Marquesas. Perhaps in an ATL, a freak storm or navigational error would drive the explorers fated to find the sweet potato away from the safe harbor of Guyaquil and onto the shores of the Galapagos sometime in the 10th to 12th centuries, when the sweet potato was brought to Polynesia IOTL. By sailing southwest of the islands and turning into wintertime tradewinds which had turned eastward these explorers could easily get home with tales of a new uninhabited land. Even if the island faded into legend, knowledge that they were there could drive explorers who were brave, foolish, or had a falling out with their fellows to try their luck sailing the perilous distance.

The extremely long distance involved in travelling from any Polynesian island to the Galapagos probably means that the Polynesian settlers would not bring a lot of livestock. It would be more efficient for them keep space for food supplies for themselves, instead of feed for pigs, dogs and chickens. Polynesian rats would still hitch a ride on the large voyaging ships, but with the abundance of game animals that any scouts to the Galapagos would report I think it’s reasonable to assume that the settlers would not bother to bring at least one and possibly all 3 of the Polynesian livestock.

3. What do they do on the islands?

Going through their hierarchy of needs, the first thing Polynesians will do is settle and build shelter on the larger islands like La Isabella where there is plenty of water.

Then, they will hunt. The Galapagos are full of naïve, tasty animals that will quickly end up in Polynesian pots. The islands will be fully plundered by humans, and quite likely by rats as well. If pigs or dogs are brought, they will devastate the ecosystem by eating anything in their path, and even chickens may dig up and peck open the eggs of tortoises and iguanas. On the large islands, a lot of the iconic animals will end up extinct.

Penguins, sea lions and marine iguanas will survive, but mostly on colonies on the smaller, drier islands and those that survive will be smaller and more fearful than the animals tourists are used to IOTL.

The Polynesians will also farm. Travel articles I’ve read about the Galapagos mention a wide variety of plants being grown-sugarcane and bananas, which the Polynesians will have, but also cooler-weather plants such as coffee and regular potatoes (which the Polynesians can get access too).

How Polynesian culture develops on these islands is up in the air, but looking at other island societies we can infer that it will be hierarchical, with an aristocratic class of chiefs and priests ruling over commoners. The Galapagos has dense forests (or will initially) and stones, perfect for building monuments and statues. Perhaps they will deify the volcanic peaks of their homelands like the Hawaiians, or dedicate statues to ancestor worship like the Easter Islanders. They may make great voyages back to their homeland to tap into the Polynesian trade network, but the great distance (and perhaps negative events precipitating the original settlers travelling that distance) will hinder such voyages of return.

But unlike the societies embedded in the Polynesian trade network, the Galapagans will have access to cultures that are completely alien to the Lapita-descended peoples to look for inspiration.

3. What are their relations with the Native Americans?

If they follow tradition of sailing against the wind when leaving their homeland, Galapagans will probably sail southeast and land on the coast of what IOTL is called Peru. There, they will meet cultures such as the Chimor and the Sican.

The Galapagans could easily become like Vikings, using their superior navigational skills and open-water catamarans to launch hit and run raids against the coastal peoples. They could interact relatively peacefully, trading their goods, bringing seal furs and sailcloth to the coastal peoples in exchange for metal jewelry and cotton cloth (I put this in market terms, but it could take other forms, such as mutual gift-giving between mainland and Galapagan elites, or goods brought as part of offerings for religious pilgrimages in a shared religion). Perhaps they could even integrate into coastal societies, becoming a middleman minority that runs goods such as warm-water shells used for dyes found near Ecuador down to the Peruvian cities, maintaining their tradition of navigation and boatbuilding but otherwise following the culture of the coastal societies.

How far could they go, sailing up and down the coasts? With the relative ease of land and water always within easy reach to the east, Polynesian navigators could explore hundreds or even thousands of miles of coastline *IF* they were so inclined. I could see them traveling as far as the Gulf of California in pursuit of whales and seal fur, and trading with Mesoamericans for goods such as jade and cacao beans.

4. What are the effects on the Natives?

The calories and ease of growing bananas I think makes this plant easily and enthusiastically adopted by Native Americans in Ecuador and Mesoamerica. Sugarcane is more difficult to grow, but the sheer addictiveness of sugar makes it also enthusiastically adopted.

Other plants like breadfruit and taro could easily make their way into Native American gardens. And in the unlikely event that the Galapagans bring their livestock, pigs and chickens would be novelties that could be quite enthusiastically adopted by farmers, particularly in South America where large mammal husbandry is already established.

Other traditions could be adopted by the Native Americans during cultural contact. Tattoos in the Polynesian style, catamarans instead of rafts and canoes, there’s a lot of culture for the Native Americans to draw on. And violent contact or not, it is a culture they can draw on in a much more even ground-in fact, a ground where the Natives will in many cases have military and numerical dominance over the Polynesian visitors.

5. What happens post-conquista?

At the end of the day, the Galapagos are too close to South America to escape the notice of Europeans, who IOTL stumbled on the islands in the 1530’s.

There’s multiple scenarios that could happen though, with vastly different long-term results. The Galapagos could be conquered and subjugated quickly, its people forced to work in sugarcane plantations and later exported to work in guano mines. Slavery and disease would cause their numbers to plummet, and the Galapagans would become a minority in their own land, flooded by immigrants from the Americas and possibly Asia. It is these colonists, not the Natives who will probably be largely politically shut out of power, who will build the Galapagan nation in modern times.

But as close as the islands are to South America in absolute terms, they are 600 miles out to sea. A strong and violent confrontation at initial contact and the sight of the rocky, barren coastlines of the Galapagos (the farms and wealth would be more inland) could drive away Spanish attention, with the more immediate rewards of conquest on the mainland distracting them from conquest for quite a while (the rewards may not be as easy to get as OTL, depending on the butterflies the Galapagans cause on Native military and political organization).

Perhaps the Galapagos would end up with very light colonial presence-a mission to preach and soldiers to protect the preachers. IOTL evangelism has taken strong root in multiple places in Polynesia even without forced conversions. Tonga, for example, has enthusiastically adopted Christianity despite having largely dodged colonialism. Galapagans who go to church and chiefs who are willing to pledge loyalty to the Spanish (or another European) crown could see the islands go into benign neglect as white authorities determine them to be tamed and not worth further bothering. Disease would hurt their numbers, but without enslavement the diseases will not cause as much damage, and the population will recover. The islands could enter the modern world with a high Native population-even a majority one-and a strong sense of traditional (albeit Christianized) culture.

Last edited:
Polynesian societies are usually divided into Traditional (e.g. Maori, with relatively little stratification), Open (e.g. Easter Island), and Stratified (e.g. Hawai'i and Tonga, with archaic states and god-kings). Which would the Galapagos fit into?

Polynesian societies are usually divided into Traditional (e.g. Maori, with relatively little stratification), Open (e.g. Easter Island), and Stratified (e.g. Hawai'i and Tonga, with archaic states and god-kings). Which would the Galapagos fit into?

I lean towards Stratified, with the Galapagans becoming inspired from and modelling their state on the hierarchical South American societies they come into contact with.

However, if the population on the islands stays low due to diseases from the mainland, emigration or a mixture of both, then they would become Traditional or even Open due to the effect of having little need to fight over resources and having the room on the islands to move away from any authority that grows too overbearing.

One of my favourite topics:

First, Galapagos is like a smaller, but crappier version of Hawaii, though it's the third largest the Polynesians can colonise after Hawaii and New Zealand. The soil I believe is mostly poor (hence the relative lack of success enjoyed by the Ecuadorian colonists), but is workable. The main issue is water. There are few sources of fresh water available. Thankfully, Galapagos has plentiful rainfall--in certain areas, when there isn't a drought. So I believe that if given time to innovate (before Europe comes and does slave raids and otherwise destroys Galapagan society), Galapagans will develop innovative means of collecting rainfall and distributing it for drinking and agriculture. The biggest constraint is definitely water, but it's a problem which can be dealt with. Control of water will be critical in determining which island dominates. San Cristobal already has a leg up since it has a natural source of fresh water. Settlement will depend on access to water. Some islands will end up like the smaller Hawaiian islands like Niihau or Kaho'olawe--maybe 100-200 people at most, possibly used as a place of exile. Santa Cruz Island seems promising as well since there are spots which can get over 2,000mm of rain a year. But I'd need to see a good rainfall map for Galapagos.

The ideal end to European colonialism is for Christianisation to occur which will hopefully help curtail the inevitable slave raiding, and Galapagans are mostly left alone aside from some tribute they pay. If they form part of a post-independence Latin American nation, then they'll be an autonomous region at least.

Peru's history is gonna be totally different. For one, Galapagan trade might make sure the Inca never expand to remotely the degree they did OTL thanks to the fact that their regional opponents will reap the benefits of an agricultural revolution. I've thought the Chimu will gain the biggest benefits and they will be able to expand more than OTL. Not to Inca levels, however. The overall effect is to leave the Andes more fragmented, meaning the Spanish conquest (if it comes) will take much longer.

How far can they go? Well, Cocos Island off the coast of Costa Rica is gonna get colonised by the Galapagans at some point. It's well positioned, though small. I also wonder about the potentials for piracy, since by all accounts, Chan Chan was a very rich city. Chan Chan will be at it's height compared to when the Spanish encountered it--hell, it might even be better depending on how rich and strong the Chimu get thanks to the Galapagans. Now, our Galapagan raiders aren't going to target what for them is the greatest city in the world to start (Chan Chan has very intimidating defenses), but they'll start somewhere, and if the Chimu cannot restrain the Galapagans, then they'll work their way up to sacking Chan Chan. Maybe that might be how the Inca compete with the Chimu after the short-term advantage the Chimu will gain from Galapagan crops--take advantage when Galapagans plunder their coastal cities. Of course, the cultures also could live in relative peace, so it's not necessarily unleashing the Vikings (or the Haida even) on South Americans.

What would be a reasonable estimate for pre-contact Galapagan population? It probably wouldn't be the max the islands can support a Polynesian civilisation, since the Galapagans will be snuffed out by Europeans before reaching their most interesting heights and potentials. In the modern age, I think 250,000 is a reasonable estimate.

The main issue is water. There are few sources of fresh water available. Thankfully, Galapagos has plentiful rainfall--in certain areas, when there isn't a drought. So I believe that if given time to innovate (before Europe comes and does slave raids and otherwise destroys Galapagan society), Galapagans will develop innovative means of collecting rainfall and distributing it for drinking and agriculture. The biggest constraint is definitely water, but it's a problem which can be dealt with. Control of water will be critical in determining which island dominates. San Cristobal already has a leg up since it has a natural source of fresh water.

See, this is the why I like these discussion threads. There's always something major that I overlook in my excitement to get the main idea. It seems pretty obvious which would be the 'big island' in this archipelago with this information.

It rains heavily during El Niño in the Galapagos, so that would be the time to gather water. Instead of Moai, we might see rain barrels carved into volcanic boulders to gather rainfall on the islands other than San Cristobal. They would be sealed with wood (or maybe pumice) tops, and probably quite strictly rationed. Looking through some writing on the subject, it seems that Floreana once had a freshwater spring although it was run dry by the first settlers, and Santa Cruz has a 'thin' aquifer though I don't know if it's possible for a pre-modern people to pierce it. In modern times Santa Cruz's water has been contaminated, but in pre-modern times pollution from ships would not be a problem, though fecal contamination might be a risk (yet another reason for the Galapagans to not bring pigs onto the islands).

Estimates of pre-contact Hawaiian population range from a quarter of a million to a million. I think we can all agree that the Galapagans would have a much lower population, particularly in pre-modern times-and as @metalinvader665 pointed out, they have 3 less centuries to grow their population before European contact. The Spanish would probably find the archipelago with a population in the tens of thousands, certainly less than 100,000.

Ancient_Balsa_Raft_found_in_Bahia_Museum_Ecuador_t658.jpg

Unless this hypothetical Polynesian Galapaguense culture carries diseases that wipes out the Manteño-Guancavilca culture, I do not see them taking the role as mercantile middlemen, selling goods between distant locations; this niche was already filled by the latter who had a trade network that extended from Chile to the western Mexican coastline. Nor would they necessarily have the numbers to force them out - the Manteño-Guancavilca were not as advanced compared to say the Inca Empire but they would not be easy targets for the Polynesians if they go the Viking route - they were organized into city-states, usually having a population of around 20,000-30,000 each. If anything, I'd see them being targeted by the coastal city-states for conquest or them being conquered by some larger empire like the Chimu or Inca. Either way, the Galapagos would no doubt be integrated into the existing pre-Columbian trade network and via the Amerindians, have access to goods and cultural influence. They might be useful as mercenaries. My brain titillates at the thought of such cultural exchange.

@Cuāuhtemōc Matisoo et al. are pretty damn convinced that the Manteño sails were inspired from Polynesian voyagers. I'm curious as to your thoughts on that.

You're right that the Galapagans won't permanently replace them, but they will I think compete with them pretty handily, at least until the Manteño start cribbing their navigation and boatbuilding techniques. IIRC it's not quite clear in the archaeological record at what point the Manteño began sailing directly to Mexico and at what point there was indirect contact through an interlocking trade network*, though I could be wrong. The Galapagans may be making contact with the Manteño before the peak of the latter's maritime achievement, which will redirect the course of their development and the course of Pacific trade in the Americas.

*if you want to leave an unmistakable historical nautical legacy, you should not build boats out of balsa wood.

I wonder what impact this could have on Spanish exploration of the South Pacific. They got as far as the Solomon Islands IOTL (when the Viceroy of Peru got it into his head that the southern continent would make a good penal colony), but otherwise lost interest in the South Pacific--if they conquer the Galapagos, and the Galapagans have existing mercantile and commercial ties to the rest of Eastern Polynesia, might the conquistadors actively seek out Tahiti and Hawaii and New Zealand?

I'm not too familiar with the Manteño (any good JSTOR articles?) but are they behind the reports of the potato being found in parts of Mexico by the early Conquistadors? The Galapagans could have a real uphill battle here.

I wonder what impact this could have on Spanish exploration of the South Pacific. They got as far as the Solomon Islands IOTL (when the Viceroy of Peru got it into his head that the southern continent would make a good penal colony), but otherwise lost interest in the South Pacific--if they conquer the Galapagos, and the Galapagans have existing mercantile and commercial ties to the rest of Eastern Polynesia, might the conquistadors actively seek out Tahiti and Hawaii and New Zealand?

How would they know about them unless they tortured random Galapagans into telling? Although, at least knowing Hawaii's out there might make a huge difference for future Spanish operations in the Pacific (Manila Galleon). I find it very odd that Hawaii was never found by the Spanish, though I suspect it probably was. Tahiti will be a bitch to find in all that ocean. New Zealand's easier since people were probing around in that part of the South Seas at the time.

but... if the Polynesians colonize the Galapagos and wreck the local wildlife there, then Darwin won't see those finches when he goes there and the theory of evolution will never arise and the world will be mired forever in staunch Biblical patriarchy!!
yeah, I know that other people were on the verge of discovering evolution, I'm just joking around here....

The Spanish also had some contact with the Marquesas during their Quixotic attempt to colonize the Solomons, and IIRC also attempted to set up a colony on Vanuatu.

I think that ultimately the Spanish will not push heavily into Polynesia and Melanesia for the same reason they did not IOTL-these islands are not convenient to sailing to the real prize, China and the East Indies. The Spanish and Portuguese were quite happy to brutalize Pacific Islanders when it suited them (see the Marianas and Philippines), but seem to generally have seen them as a means to an end to securing the path to China rather than as a prize in and of themselves.

Now any Galapagan network into Polynesia may result in a few more attempts to colonize or convert Pacific Islanders than IOTL, and with the right roll of the dice maybe some one of these ventures will succeed and generate enough revenue to get the support of the crown or a viceroy to bolster the colony permanently; but I don't think that the Galapagans by themselves create any incentive that did not exist IOTL to colonize the South Pacific.

Honestly I wouldn't say the numbers would rise beyond 20k or 30k similar to the Canary Islands.

There are a number of limitations that will occur, likely pigs and even chickens will not make the journey or be deemed too damaging and killed for their resource intensiveness. With the abundance tortoises these animals will likely be abandoned anyways.

Hopefully the kiore can be limited or not even brought.

Also I don't think these Polynesian can somehow take that niche away, very unrealistic.

Maybe mixing and assimilating heavily and acculturating into coastal Peruvian culture would help though.

@Cuāuhtemōc Matisoo et al. are pretty damn convinced that the Manteño sails were inspired from Polynesian voyagers. I'm curious as to your thoughts on that.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. There's so much we don't know.

You're right that the Galapagans won't permanently replace them, but they will I think compete with them pretty handily, at least until the Manteño start cribbing their navigation and boatbuilding techniques. IIRC it's not quite clear in the archaeological record at what point the Manteño began sailing directly to Mexico and at what point there was indirect contact through an interlocking trade network*, though I could be wrong. The Galapagans may be making contact with the Manteño before the peak of the latter's maritime achievement, which will redirect the course of their development and the course of Pacific trade in the Americas.

*if you want to leave an unmistakable historical nautical legacy, you should not build boats out of balsa wood.

Well that is true. Can't disagree with that.

I suspect the Galapagans would form plenty of familial and cultural links with the mainland. A Polynesian/Manteño culture hybrid would be quite fascinating. As would a Polynesian/Mapuche hybrid.

I wonder if the Galapagans would be able to reach the Atlantic? Polynesians colonizing places like the Falklands, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha could get real interesting. Making it all the way around the planet and reaching the Westward thrust of Austronesian colonization in Madagascar from the East as well could lead to a fun situation to set a story in...

I wonder if the Galapagan-Polynesians could make it to South Africa before the Dutch colony got started?

fasquardon

I suspect the Galapagans would form plenty of familial and cultural links with the mainland. A Polynesian/Manteño culture hybrid would be quite fascinating. As would a Polynesian/Mapuche hybrid.

I wonder if the Galapagans would be able to reach the Atlantic? Polynesians colonizing places like the Falklands, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha could get real interesting. Making it all the way around the planet and reaching the Westward thrust of Austronesian colonization in Madagascar from the East as well could lead to a fun situation to set a story in...

I wonder if the Galapagan-Polynesians could make it to South Africa before the Dutch colony got started?

fasquardon

Some Galapagans might see the Caribbean, but given the cultural and economic ties they will develop, I don't see them having motivation to push into the Atlantic. Maybe descendant creole cultures could, but I think as is the Galapagans would not be able to really get much exploring done on the Atlantic side of things before colonialism mucks thing sup-that's assuming they even keep exploring past 1450, which saw the end of most Polynesian voyaging for reasons which are not entirely clear.

That said, under colonization Galapagan sailors could easily join European ships as crew members. You're right that their reaching Madagascar would have a certain poetry to it.

I wonder if the Marine Iguanas would be domesticable? Long shot. It takes a minimum of three years for sexual maturity. But they can grow to be pretty decent sized animals. Even the smallest breeds are chicken sized. The larger breeds go twenty to thirty pounds. It would be interesting to see what an active domestication effort would do to the species.

I wonder if the Marine Iguanas would be domesticable? Long shot. It takes a minimum of three years for sexual maturity. But they can grow to be pretty decent sized animals. Even the smallest breeds are chicken sized. The larger breeds go twenty to thirty pounds. It would be interesting to see what an active domestication effort would do to the species.

I had some thoughts on the matter, I figured that depending on how far they go the Galapagans might import Chuckwallas, a semi-domesticated lizard from the Gulf of California (@Thesaurus Rex gets the credit for bringing this animal to my attention a while back). However, the Humboldt Current makes the Galapagos surprisingly cool for an equatorial landscape, so I don't know if there are high enough basking temperatures for the heat-loving chuckwallas.

As for the marine iguanas, while I don't see them being domesticated I do see them being managed after the large island reptiles die out-hunting controlled, perhaps by shifting from islet to islet every few years and limiting the killing of these animals when an islet does enter a hunting season, for example.

Last edited:
I had some thoughts on the matter, I figured that depending on how far they go the Galapagans might import Chuckwallas, a semi-domesticated lizard from the Gulf of California (@Thesaurus Rex gets the credit for bringing this animal to my attention a while back). However, the Humboldt Current makes the Galapagos surprisingly cool for an equatorial landscape, so I don't know if there are high enough basking temperatures for the heat-loving chuckwallas.

Ha!

I remember that. I'm not sure if 'semi-domesticated' is the right word to use, though some people do keep and manage chuckwalla colonies today (the similar Uromastyx from Africa are more popular in the pet trade). The Seri just transported them to various islands where they would establish their own populations, and round them up later. I'd say the real semi-domesticated lizards today are bearded dragons, leopard geckos, green iguanas, tegus maybe, and probably the butterfly lizards they farm in Southeast Asia.

The data recorded on Weather.com shows the yearly temperature of the Galapagos somewhere in the mid 80s, but with an apparent cold snap going into the high 60s right now. This would probably be barely enough for healthy development, but if chucks made it that far maybe there'd be some temperate breeds. Chuckwallas actually don't like the high Baja summer; once it gets into the hundreds, they find a hide and wait for the late afternoon. They'd probably actually be more active in regular 85-90 degree temperatures.

But let's not exclude the marine iguanas too soon. They do seem to take much longer to reach adulthood, but I imagine they'd reach an edible age sooner than that. I can actually see something similar to 'ranching' (akin to what @Revachah proposed with seals a few weeks ago) in which these already-tame animals are given a protected haulout/basking spot and supplemented with human hand feeding and heating. They leave to collect their own food and come back to a place they know is not only safe from predators, but where they are given extra heat and some good food if their outing was not fruitful. Iguanas aren't the only potential domesticate on Galapagos though (though the rest aren't exactly picnics to domesticate). You could probably do something similar with the sea lions, and there's also quite a few decent-sized rodents on the island, especially in its pre-European form.

If you're going to import a lizard, the Green Iguana is pretty much a short hop away. They're a bit more demanding and expensive to maintain,but they're successfully farmed (or 'ranched' by keeping a few breeders captive and releasing juveniles into the trees, which stick close by to nearby feeding stations) in many places. On a related note, straight across from the Galapagos in Guayaquil is a park filled with tame iguanas living alongside humans.

But if we're importing animals anyway, I don't see why the Polynesians just import already-domesticated animals such as chickens, Muscovy ducks or guinea pigs.

Realistically, I don't see the Polynesians domesticating much of anything on Galapagos. They don't really have a history of domesticating anything other than a few plants; even when their regular domesticates, like pigs and chickens, were missing, or when species relatively amenable to domestication were present. If they colonize Galapagos they'll just stick with what they have (or get some domesticates from the mainland), which would probably just be chickens since any pigs would have been eaten by then. There's always room for exception, though.
What's stopping them from trading and exploring anyway? The balsas can transport a lot of goods, but the Polynesian ships would probably outmatch them in speed and seaworthiness. The Manteño would have the upper hand by not only already having lucrative home goods but also having knowledge of the trade goods elsewhere on the coast, and the networks, relations and weather patterns that come with their practice. If the Galapagos Polynesians really wanted to get into maritime trade, I'm sure they would start easing in and some healthy (and perhaps unhealthy) competition would ensue.

The data recorded on Weather.com shows the yearly temperature of the Galapagos somewhere in the mid 80s, but with an apparent cold snap going into the high 60s right now. This would probably be barely enough for healthy development, but if chucks made it that far maybe there'd be some temperate breeds. Chuckwallas actually don't like the high Baja summer; once it gets into the hundreds, they find a hide and wait for the late afternoon. They'd probably actually be more active in regular 85-90 degree temperatures.

Realistically, I don't see the Polynesians domesticating much of anything on Galapagos. They don't really have a history of domesticating anything other than a few plants; even when their regular domesticates, like pigs and chickens, were missing, or when species relatively amenable to domestication were present. If they colonize Galapagos they'll just stick with what they have (or get some domesticates from the mainland), which would probably just be chickens since any pigs would have been eaten by then. There's always room for exception, though.

Weather.com and other weather sites seem to omit a lot of data from Galapagos. I know this because I've checked, and there's only a few weather stations (at least those which report to those weather sites) there compared to elsewhere, which omits a lot of data which seems very relevant to this topic, sinc after all, the topography of Galapagos creates many climatic zones. And as noted earlier, Galapagos is very vulnerable to El Niño and La Niña cycles. Might have a huge influence on more than just lizards too, BTW.

If they're trading, would they ever be able to import pigs from elsewhere in Polynesia, or will their main focus be toward the Americas rather than Polynesia? They'd definitely import guinea pigs and such from South America.

If they're trading, would they ever be able to import pigs from elsewhere in Polynesia, or will their main focus be toward the Americas rather than Polynesia? They'd definitely import guinea pigs and such from South America.

Guinea Pigs would make great livestock in the Galapagos; chickens might as well, just as they did in Rapa Nui. Pigs, however, require a lot of water and food. I do not see the Polynesians importing pigs to the islands, or making much of an attempt to raise the pigs before destroying them as they consume resources. On the other hand, if they have some contact with Polynesia but are still drawn into the South American sphere, I can see them bringing pigs as novelties or tribute for the Chimor elite.

Post-colonization, I think that the Galapagans may very well adopt goats from the Europeans. Their long history of trade with wool-working peoples on the Pacific Coast and the ability of goats to thrive (maybe a little too much) on the very arid Galapagos Islands IOTL would make them far more attractive domestic animals.