Playing with Mirrors

Oh I should also note that while this will still mainly be through an American lens, no country exists in a vacuum (except in a planetary, you know, ACTUAL space vacuum kinda way). There were a couple different events I also wanted to explore. Not ASB with butterflies but not directly connected to the POD. And their implications were too broad for an un-tested scholar like myself to commit to in their own heralds, so I’ve rolled them up in here. So we’ll see- selectively- what’s going on in the world. (And right off the bat, too.)

Last edited:
Story Post VI: A Shift in Latin American Policy

upload_2018-10-15_7-41-14.png

Early 1981

As the president-elect, John B. Anderson had received top level updates from many government agencies, as well as intelligence briefings on all the global hot spots since November. But it’s only now that he’s found the time to drill down into some of the seedier aspects of semi-secret American foreign policy. He’s asked his chief of staff to join him. He's not in a good mood.

“I feel like such a fool.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Have you read this? I mean beyond the cover memo? Have you really dug into it?”

“It’s bad.”

“It’s bad? It’s...disgusting! We’re supporting this! What a damn fool I am…”

“Come on, what’s that supposed to mean?”

“We all knew it was happening. I mean I wasn’t on the Foreign Affairs Committee, but we all knew we were in bed with some nasty creatures down there. But this? It...exceeds everything. We’re behaving like fascists.”

“Mr. President, you can’t-”

“Look at this! Women. Children. Priests! The drug trade. Murder squads. Assassination. Torture. And it goes on for page after page, country after country.”

“Mr. President, I’m sensing a bout of morality on the horizon.”

“Ohoho! Wrong, Bill. Look up. You’re in the eye of the storm. Set a meeting.”

----

A Few Weeks Later

Felix is a noted foreign policy analyst and current professor at the School of Advanced International Studies, specializing in Latin America. Though he was born in Mexico, his father was American, and he opted for service in Washington rather than Mexico City. He still sometimes consults with the State Department on a casual basis through his friend, Frank. He’s in Frank’s office now, looking over a policy memo from the White House.

“This new Jefe acts fast.”

“He’s a doer.”

“Has he even been sworn in yet?”

“He wrote this up before that.”

“He needs to relax.”

“I’ll pass that along.”

“Take some time to enjoy the victory. He’s gonna burn out. He’s got a rose garden now. Stop and smell them!”

“Do you moonlight as Hints from Heloise when you’re not serving as an analyst?”

“Ah, I quite like her! See these pants? Ruined last week. Salt and lemon juice. I’m wearing them today!”

“So anytime you want to steer the conversation back to peace in Central America would be just aces with me.”

He reads over the memo again.

“This is very basic.”

“It’s early days.”

“Well, no one could object to anything on here. You know they’re willing. México, Venezuela, Colombia, Panamá. They’ve been anxious to get started for a year now, but Carter was…how to put it…”

“...Wishy-washy?”

“Wishy-washy? This is a real phrase?”

“Noncommittal, like?”

“English is a terrible language.”

“Fine.”

“No poetry.”

“We’re getting off topic again.”

“So ugly coming off the tongue. Wishy-washy!”

“I swear to god if you don’t finish this brief I’ll ruin those pants but for good this time.”

He puts up his hands in surrender and returns to the document.

“It’s sound. It does what you want it to do. Probably.”

“And what do we want it to do in your analysis?”

“Well that’s pretty clear! Don’t play coy. You want to pivot away from this mess you created in Central America. My guess, though I can’t prove it, is that Anderson was briefed on what’s been going on with Argentina and that boy scout said No Mas.”

“The president’s motivations are not at qu-”

“So you need to pivot. You need to get out of bed with Argentina. You need to get your hand out of the beehive in Latin America. And you need to do it without ceding the region to Cuba. So your solution? You finally remember there are other countries in the world and you ask for help.”

“And they’ll play ball?”

“If you give them a chance for real power, absolutely. Latinos securing peace for Latinos? Every church bell in the old Spanish Empire will ring for a year.”

“And you don’t think Cuba or Nicaragua will sabotage it?”

“If you give the group real independence they won’t be able to. They’ll make this hurt you as much as Cuba, but Cuba is always willing to take the hit as long as you come out looking bad. Don’t fool yourself: there’s probably going to be a sting at the end of this for you. And who's to say? Maybe Cuba goes left when we expect them to go right, wouldn't be the first time. There's only one thing that would guarantee them, in my opinion."

"And that would be?"

"Well...why don't you go have a talk with Cuba?”

“The United States doesn’t talk to Cuba.”

“Oh really? So much for the brand new day. Remember when the United States didn’t talk to China? I remember that. You remember that?”

Frank stares at his friend, assessing his current level of seriousness. It’s not always easy to tell with Felix.

“...Hypothetically-”

“Oh but of course.”

“Hypothetically, where does this begin?”

“Ha! The same place every negotiation begins, whether it’s with a dictator or your seven year old daughter: leverage."

Felix makes "leverage" an approximately seven-syllable word.

"Leverage."

"You find the thing they want that you have, you dangle it within their grasp, you hold tight to the other side, and when they take the bait you pull with all your god-damned might. You’ve tried it before with Fidel. You’ve always failed. The question is, can Anderson handle it, or does he piss himself like the others?”

“Thankfully, I’m not the one who has to answer those questions. So as far as the others- Mexico, Colombia et al- we go to next steps with this?”

“Absolutely. Best of luck.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem. Oh, and Frank?”

“Yeah?”

“If he does piss himself?”

“Yeah?”

“Salt and lemon juice.”

----

A plaque adorns the ballroom wall in the Grand Hotel on Contadora Island:

In this room on September 7, 1982 was signed the Treaty of Contadora, setting up the framework for a lasting peace in Central America.

“A new and sweeping utopia of life, where no one will be able to decide for others how they die, where love will prove true and happiness be possible, and where the races condemned to one hundred years of solitude will have, at last and forever, a second opportunity on earth.”
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Last edited:
Story Post VII: School Desegregation Gains Steam

upload_2018-10-17_8-17-11.png

May 1st, 1981

The Des Moines Register
Headline
: DMPS to Join NATCO Pilot

The Department of Education has announced that Des Moines will join the list of 150 school districts across the country in a large-scale pilot program that will, if successful, eventually expand a version of Secretary Heckler’s Boston-based METCO program nationwide.

The METCO program, successfully reformed by then-Lieutenant Governor Heckler in 1971, issues state education funding based on a sliding scale related to something called “dissimilarity,” which measures the level of a school district’s racial integration to the surrounding community. The new program will do the same with federal education dollars. The hope is to encourage schools to voluntarily desegregate via the carrot of increased education funding on the one hand, while threatening them with the stick of withheld funding on the other.

The Federal program requires a school district to maintain a low dissimilarity based on a weighted average of local, county, regional, and state demographics, in an effort to forestall white flight from one jurisdiction to the next. This “nesting demographics” method makes it very difficult for parents to move to avoid at least some level of integration.

Once the NATCO Program begins nationwide, it will be coupled with a 200% increase in per-district federal education funds, as well as additional incentives to encourage states to enact statewide unified school district policies. This will ensure that an equal amount of state and federal funding reaches every school in the country and will see the end of local funding by property taxes, which is currently the most popular school funding model nationwide.

Many Iowa politicians have expressed concern about where the money is coming from to pay for this new system. [CONT’D B4]

----

July, 1984

Six angry parents have demanded a meeting with the bursar at an elite private school in the suburbs of Washington DC.

“How can the school justify a 200% raise in the cost of tuition? This is insane!”

“I’m sorry, everyone. I wish we didn’t have to. This is the cost of doing business now.”

“Georgetown Prep isn’t raising costs half this much.”

“That is a parochial school, madame. They’re partially exempt from the new standards.”

“Maret isn’t parochial and they aren’t dealing with this kind of spike in tuition.”

“Maret is...well…”

“What he’s trying to say is Maret lets in black kids.”

“Sir, that’s-”

“So this is about diversity? Can we just stop dancing around it and cut to the chase?”

The bursar sighs and pulls out some notes.

“Yes, ladies and gentlemen, let’s cut to the chase. Last year we had an open session of the board. Parents were invited to comment. The new federal rules were gone over in detail and we took great effort to make sure everyone understood. The consensus from all present was clearly in favor of maintaining our historic admissions practices. We took a poll of parents in the room and I have the results here: 116 in favor, 39 against. I happen to know that all six of you were in the room at the time. Do you remember how you voted?”

They all remain silent.

“So. The new federal policy states that exemption from the Dissimilarity Index comes at a price per pupil that reflects the burden which decreasing the diversity of student experience places upon the community.”

“What does that even mean?”

“Basically, the Department of Education has research that says that if students attend diverse schools, outcomes for economic and racial minorities are better. They end up in better jobs, fewer turn to crime, they even have better health. Beyond that, wealthier students end up with the same outcomes as they would if they attended exclusive schools. So the government attached a dollar amount reflecting the cost to society of keeping a student in an exclusive environment, and here we are.”

“So basically the government are calling us racists and asking us to pay for the privilege?”

“Look. I don’t like it any more than you do. The alternative was a change of admission practices coupled with a scholarship program and we calculated the cost at something like a 30% rise in tuition. That was not the path that was taken. This school therefore has a lot of new costs to absorb. This is the price demanded by the government. It’s a lot for anyone to take in and your anger is understandable. I would just suggest that you should not be directing this anger at the school. Would you agree?”

They’re not happy. But what’s another few thousand dollars to these people? They can absolutely afford it. This semester’s tuition check won’t even be the largest one most of them write today. That honor will go to the checks they send to the Conservative Party Election Committee.

My hope is that I'll be able to post about twice a week, on Monday and then Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how together I am that week. Hope that seems like a reasonable pace for content!

Story Post VIII: The PATCO Strike

upload_2018-10-22_7-23-34.png

Late July, 1981

Two union delegates just spent all day in meetings. Now it’s off to a quiet corner of a noisy bar for them.

“I don’t think he’s bluffing.”

“We’ve got him over a barrel, of course he’s bluffing.”

“I don’t think he’s bluffing, Gene.”

“What are they gonna do, put the janitors in the towers? There’s no plan B, they need us, I say we strike.”

“Gene, think for a second. You’ve seen Anderson. You’ve seen MacLaury. You know they’re not playing. These men sleep with their account ledgers. They made a calculation, they wrote down a number, and that’s all there is to it. No wiggle room.”

“Schweiker’s a good guy.”

“Schweiker is a good guy. And he’s the reason we have this deal at all.”

“So what happens in your version of events? He bankrupts the airlines?”

“I don’t think he gives a shit about the airlines. He’s not your typical Chamber of Commerce type Republican.”

“We can’t take this deal as it stands, Mike. This is a pay cut for 5,000 guys.”

“This is what we asked for. We wanted a 32-hour work week, we got it. We wanted a 20-year pension date, we came close to that. The majority of guys are going to see the same pay or even a raise, and the rest will catch back up soon enough.”

“Five years before the new guys are making what they were making last month, if we take this deal. Five years!”

“Hey, I’m one of those new guys. This deal is better for all of us in the end. We’re getting money for automation, we’re getting the increase in training capacity. This is a good deal.”

“It’s that pay cut, man. If it were even just net zero at this point I might say yes, but I just can’t stop my guys from voting down something that’s gonna take money from their pockets.”

“I get that.”

“End of story.”

“I get it. It’s tough telling someone they gotta wait for the next at-bat. But we’re in this position because we can handle those tough calls. There’s a bigger picture here. You know? We need a win. Not just for us, but everyone who punches a clock. Us union guys...we’ve been losing ground, you know? For a generation now. Maybe two. We need a victory. This guy Anderson, he’s remaking the entire economy. You seen this stuff coming out of Washington? The tax bill and all that? The rich thought they were gonna bilk us again on tax day and he made 'em pay their fair share. All those loopholes closed for yacht refurbishment and whatever they get up to. The balance shifted back to the middle class. We’ll be able to get a decent mortgage again, even with less pay. But this is all just what these Washington types think we need. We need to show them ourselves, or else they’ll just keep dictating terms. And this deal’s as close as we’re gonna get to showing them what we want.”

A big sigh from Gene. No, even bigger, think bigger, the king of all sighs and it goes on and on. Mike speaks up again:

“Come on. I’ll do the talking. Just tell me you can nod when I need you to nod.”

Gene looks at him, takes a moment, and nods.

----

Corner of 7th and Euclid. Home to both Al’s newsstand and Hashim’s falafel cart.

“EXTRY! Air traffic controllers reach deal with government! Compromise on pay rises and pensions for shorter hours and increased workforce! EXTRY!”

“Why do you do that? Nobody’s sold newspapers that way for 40 years.”

“Hey, you enjoy your hobbies, I’ll enjoy mine, okay Hashim?”

“Could you at least pick a more interesting story to shout at people?”

“The people deserve a wide variety of news.”

“You’re not the town cryer, Al.”

“And you will not stifle my first amendment right to freedom of the press, Hashim. EXTRY! Reds sweep Dodgers! Up ten games going into the All-Star break! EXTRY!”

----

Mother Jones
Excerpt from an editorial on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of the PATCO strike.

The legacy of the PATCO strike resolution is difficult to assess in terms of the labor history of the United States. At the time, both the government and the union tried to spin it as a victory, though the government’s effort was more successful than the union’s when one looks at the opinion polls. From an AP poll taken in August of 1981, 46% of respondents believed the government had gotten the better deal; 22% said PATCO; and 25% believed the compromise was roughly equal.

In the short term, union membership did increase after the strike’s resolution, driven almost entirely by strong growth in the public sector. In this sense, the strike was a success, as it gave government employees a prime example of how collective bargaining with the state could produce results that were at least democratic, distributed, and perceived as fair.

But this did little to help the private sector. Private sector union membership continued to slip as the economy reoriented itself away from heavy industry, saw increased automation, and as factories moved to states with weaker labor cultures. The rate of decline did markedly slow in the early 1980s, as private enterprise grew wary of the Anderson administration’s no-nonsense Justice and Labor Departments. But there’s little evidence that the PATCO outcome itself had any bearing on their attitudes.

With the stagnation of private sector union membership and the rapid increase of public sector membership, one might think that we could reasonably lay at least a partial victory at the feet of the PATCO strikers. But the truth is that overall union membership had been on the rise throughout the Carter administration. When, in 1983, union membership surpassed 25% of all employed workers (a threshold last attained in 1964), PATCO took pride of place among the unions in the celebrations. But this actually represented a slower rate of improvement than was achieved during the Carter years.

We do not bring up these numbers to malign the legacy of the PATCO strikers, who after all performed their duty to each other and gave hope and example to their brothers and sisters in other sectors. And it’s certainly true that the growth in union numbers (though small) coupled with the upheaval in US politics meant that organized labor greeted the 1984 election cycle with a level of political power within the Democratic Party not seen in 20 years. PATCO deserves at least some credit for this.

Rather, we bring it up to interrogate the mythology that President Anderson was somehow a friend to labor. A common truism one hears today is that Anderson "unwittingly" saved the unions. When you ask the utterers of this nonsense how exactly he accomplished this, they usually cannot respond, or if they do it is with some vague platitude, such as, “He left them alone.”

At best Anderson was a minor antagonist, adding weight to those on the march of progress- if, one must grudgingly admit, not trying to push them off the path as previous Republicans had done.

But on several fronts he did unmitigated harm to organized labor. He increased the number of guest worker visas to untold levels, threatening the foundations of the United Farm Workers and other agricultural unions. He supported the movement of factory jobs to new locations, as long as they contributed to his “Small Town Revitalization Plan,” not concerned that these moves could erode private sector unions.

It’s true, later in his presidency he would develop some interesting theories on labor relations and the structure of the economy. But he never spent the political capital to turn those theories into policy. He was a dilettante of economics more than a friend to the worker.

As the GOP attempts to gain sway over some of our brothers and sisters in the more white collar unions, this is an important lesson to keep in mind.

Last edited:
“This is what we asked for. We wanted a 32-hour work week, we got it. We wanted a 20-year pension date, we came close to that. The majority of guys are going to see the same pay or even a raise, and the rest will catch back up soon enough.”

The 32-hour work week win caught my eye -- was that unique to the air traffic controllers/PATCO given the nature of their jobs, or was it part of a greater movement for shorter work weeks?

The 32-hour work week win caught my eye -- was that unique to the air traffic controllers/PATCO given the nature of their jobs, or was it part of a greater movement for shorter work weeks?

At the time it was specifically an air traffic controller demand due to the particular stresses of that job. As the information economy picks up it could become a future baseline for negotiations, especially in the federal government. We will see!

Story Post IX: The Defense Budget

upload_2018-10-24_10-12-8.png

August, 1981

The president stares at a blackboard covered with chicken scratch and leafs through a briefing booklet. He has been listening patiently. Usually he loves to hear people of great intelligence talk about things they’re passionate about, and he’s let these physicists go on for a while now. They started out with nickle words, gauging his interest and abilities. Somehow they’ve mistaken his silence for enthusiasm, and now it’s ten-dollar words from every mouth in the room. “Amplified spontaneous emission” has been uttered more than once. And the guy in the back really likes the sound of, “capillary plasma-discharge media.” He looks up from his notes to see that the spiel seems to be over. They’re all looking at him intently now.

“...So...it’s a laser gun?”

“Yes, Mr. president.”

“...A laser gun in space? A space laser?”

“Essentially, Mr. president.”

He pauses to consider the blackboard.

“Well. Thank you gentlemen. You have another meeting with just the Secretary and his people next week, I believe. I look forward to hearing what he has to say.”

The usual pleasantries as they leave. President Anderson turns to his chief of staff.

“Bill.”

“I know, sir.”

“Just keep it off my desk from now on. Throw them some research money, fine, but do you realize what a laughing stock I’d be if I made space lasers a central plank of my defense policy?”

“It’s handled.”

“Good. What’s next?”

“A favor for Slade Gorton. We promised him an informal ten minutes with him and some people from Boeing. They wanted one last chance to change your mind on these weapons projects.”

Anderson has gotten really good at rolling his eyes since he took office.

“Fine. Let’s go explore new and exciting ways to tell them, ‘no.’”

----

Just a standard meeting between a US Army general and a defense contractor’s lawyer. Nothing out of the ordinary for a cigar club in Washington DC, skirting the boundaries between official and casual, legal and illegal.

“I thought we could count on you on this.”

“You make me sound like a pusher. Like a salesman.”

“I never thought you were a salesman, just a patriot.”

That was a mistake. He knows it as soon as he says it.

“I do what my commander in chief orders me to do.”

“We both know there’s what he orders you to do and then there’s what you let him know you need to be ordered to do. You’ve always helped us show these politicians we have the country’s best interests at heart.”

“I think you’re confusing-”

“And I just want to know why things have changed now.”

“I think you’re confusing what my job is here. This is a civilian-led military, a sacred thing to a lot of us; I hope to you, too on some level. I hope you understand what that means. The president sets the mission, we tell him what we need, then we carry it out. When you’ve got a president who tells you we need to invade continental Europe, well you ask for what you need, you get your ships, your air cover, your concrete harbors, your mountains of supplies, all of it, then you go out and do it. When they tell you to fight a bush war, you ask for what you need- you certainly don’t ask for concrete harbors, no matter how much the workers in Allentown and Pittsburgh might want you to, let alone their bosses. And when Anderson tells me he wants better training, he wants a responsive military, he wants each soldier to be an effective fighting unit and to be able to meet five dozen different mission requirements at the drop of a hat, I know what to ask for. I’m sorry, Tim, I just don’t need what you’re selling.”

----

7th and Euclid

“EXTRY! EXTRY! Read all about it! New federal budget signed by Anderson! Defense spending trimmed by 5%! B-2 canceled! MX canceled! More money for training and troops!”

“You’re driving away the customers.”

“I am not.”

“They think it’s weird.”

“I am part of the neighborhood color.”

“You’re a weirdo.”

“EXTRY! The Reds are going to the series, mathematically impossible for the Phillies to catch them as of last night! EXTRY!”

Read through what you have so far, impressed. I'll wait to see how Anderson deals with the USSR.

Thanks! I'm filling things in as I go, so there might be some room for more USSR content. Mostly my plan is to have the USA and USSR work around each other, dealing with proxies but rarely dealing directly with each other. At least for the first few years.

I've written and then taken out several different grand pronouncements on Anderson's approach to dealing with the Soviets, most of them featuring OTL ratios of truth vs speculation you get from foreign policy pundits (so you know, A LOT of speculation). None really seems to fit the kind of guy he was. You'll see pretty soon some of the changes being wrought in the US foreign policy establishment by the new political order, though those changes only hint at developments further afield.

I mentioned back in the post at the top of this page that there would be a few non-ASB curveballs I wanted to play around with when it comes to non-US content, and I won't lie, the USSR is on the list.

I've been enjoying this immensely, of all the things that have happened I'm almost embarrassed to say that the newspaper seller is my favourite.

I've been enjoying this immensely, of all the things that have happened I'm almost embarrassed to say that the newspaper seller is my favourite.

:closedeyesmile: This pleases me immensely. I was writing out these dry newspaper headlines to convey information and really wanted to find a way to do something more interesting. Thus were they born!

I can promise you: Al and Hashim will return!

I love the news guy, too. Growing up in the '70s, I would sometimes dabble at AH (as best a 10YO can do - I'd have wildly ASB maps and imagine people runing for President who were President 20 years later or something) and I would use such things to convey what was gong on. I wonder where I got the idea - maybe some old Bugs Bunny cartoons or something, they were from the '50s and early '0s and I think you still had newsboys crying out "Extra!" then.

ANd, I agree - it's part of the neighborhood color, and lots of fun. Although... are the Reds and Phillies in the same division because the Cubs and Cardinals went to the WEst TTL? (I see yhou're from Washington, maybe TTL the Padres move and the divisions wind up changing. That is actually quite plausible if they had moved - there would only be 18 games, not 27, on the West Coast so the clubs might not object to a move. And Series can mean just League Championship Series.)

Last edited:
I love the news guy, too. Growing up in the '70s, I would sometimes dabble at AH (as best a 10YO can do - I'd have wildly ASB maps and imagine people runing for President who were President 20 years later or something) and I would use such things to convey what was gong on. I wonder where I got the idea - maybe some old Bugs Bunny cartoons or something, they were from the '50s and early '0s and I think you still had newsboys crying out "Extra!" then.

ANd, I agree - it's part of the neighborhood color, and lots of fun. Although... are the Reds and Phillies in the same division because the Cubs and Cardinals went to the WEst TTL? (I see yhou're from Washington, maybe TTL the Padres move and the divisions wind up changing. That is actually quite plausible if they had moved - there would only be 18 games, not 27, on the West Coast so the clubs might not object to a move. And Series can mean just League Championship Series.)

Ah, I’m not gonna be able to follow you too deep into the ballpark, I’m afraid. Most pop and sports culture will only be mentioned in passing, but your ideas are certainly possible. Another one I was thinking was an earlier rationalization of the leagues, at least to 14 teams apiece if not 15. But I’ll admit I didn’t put much thought into it.

Story Post X: Detente with Cuba?

upload_2018-10-29_8-56-22.png

When America and Cuba have to meet, the State Department schedules a meeting with the Swiss. In this case, a sizable delegation from the Economic Bureau arrives at the Swiss embassy to discuss the details of a (very real) fact finding mission to observe Swiss advances in Alpine hydro-power. While hands are being shaken in the foyer, Mark (who works for State, but definitely NOT the Economic Bureau) detaches himself from the main group and follows a demure assistant back through a series of hallways to the Cuban Interest Section; the official/unofficial home of Cuban diplomacy in the US.

Mark is shown into one of the smaller offices and shakes hands with an older Cuban woman. If she has an official title here it hasn’t ever been made clear to him. She offers him a seat and turns that piercing gaze in his direction. When she speaks, her accent is thicker than it needs to be, he’s almost certain. There’s something staged about her voice. It’s a tactic. But what does it signify?

“So. You show your true colors. You’re going to reinstate the travel ban. I’d say I’m surprised but nothing really surprises me about you anymore.”

“I think you have the wrong outlook entirely.”

“Really? I can’t wait for you to explain it to me.”

“How I would phrase it is this: against significant opposition from Congress, the president is considering NOT reinstating the travel ban. The question is, where can he find the political cover to do so?”

“And the answer to this question?”

“We may need some help there.”

“I won’t insult you by restating to you what my country will not do in this regard.”

“I understand. And I won’t insult you by making promises that the next administration could simply void if it wanted to.”

“So. We know what the board looks like. Where do we go from here?”

Mark exhales and leans back in his chair, trying not to look like he’s trying not to look nervous.

“Africa.”

She responds with silence at first. That single word means a lot to one well-versed in foreign affairs. He’s talking about a settlement of the Angola situation and she knows it. What they both know is that Cuba has spent the last decade over-extending itself in foreign interventions, none of which has resulted in any real prestige for the regime, Castro’s primary motivation for the projects. There is a lot more they both know, and it flashes in their eyes as they stare at each other and the silence grows.

“Ah...Well...Let’s hear what you have to say.”

And then the meeting really begins.

----

Some time later in Cuba...

All eyes are on Fidel...metaphorically-speaking. His advisers have long since learned not to appear too over-eager to follow his directives, and they trade looks with each other, stare into the middle-distance in mock-concentration, or pretend to consult the briefing notes that contain the American proposal. After a minute, the aging dictator grunts and begins to rapidly nod.

“Why not? We’ll go along for now. When they break their word, the world will see, and we’ll be no worse off than before.”

----

Some time later still, in Pretoria

The US ambassador shakes hands with Botha and is ushered out of the room. The door closes behind him. The Prime Minister looks sardonically at his assistant.

“Might as well try. It'll never work, but might as well.”

----

Lou’s sitting at House of Hunan on K Street, smoking a cigarette and waiting for this mope to show up. Lou works at the Heritage Foundation on the Hill, but he’s come across town to meet with a contact at the State Department. When he finally walks through the door, 20 minutes late, Lou practically stabs the cigarette into the ashtray, grinding it to nothing.

“What the hell are you guys playing at? Why bring me in for all those consults if you were just going to ignore me?”

“What? How close-minded do you think we are? We took meetings with a lot of people."

"That's not what Baker told my boss."

"Pff, please, your boss is a lot of things, and I hate to insult the guy, but he loves to exaggerate."

"The party agreed to a compromise on foreign policy at the convention. Baker promised us-"

"Well Baker's my vice president and I respect him, but what I'm hearing is they're talking to a lot of people. The day before the inauguration Anderson had a round-table with Kissinger and Brzezinski, and you think he agreed much with either of them? Everyone gets a meeting these days.”

“Oh please, don’t play the honorable independent with me. You’re charting a failing course, my friend, and you’re going to take the country down with you. These latest briefings from Foggy Bottom? This is basically Carter all over again.”

“That’s an overly simplistic interpretation of complex-”

“Oh what am I, a reporter? Stop feeding me lines. Come on, it’s an open secret that this administration is basically continuing the policies of the last one. All those hardliners that were just trying to wait Carter out? They’re seeing the writing on the wall now.”

“Anderson is not just continuing-”

“Okay, fine, maybe there are some minor differences, I’m not denying it. But compared to- I mean can you imagine what would’ve happened here if Dole had won? You think Carter’s Director at Nonproliferation would’ve tried to get a job in a Dole administration? Half the people in senior positions are embedded Carter appointees who drilled down after the election results came in. They want to work for you, and you’re making it easy.”

“Continuity is underrated in American democracy.”

Lou shoots daggers across the table. The man from State continues:

"Look, I won't deny it, the players in the room aren't who I thought they'd be. Like you, I thought foreign policy was gonna be Baker's baby and that Percy was just a showpiece. And then out of nowhere as National Security Adviser, here comes Mort Halperin- "

"Mort-fucking-Halperin! Fucking traitor."

"Yeah. How dare he, um, get his phone tapped by Nixon?"

"He's a prick."

"Okay. Well anyway, that's who has the president's ear these days from what I hear. Don't shoot the messenger."

“So what? What’s your path forward. Let me guess: you’re not renewing the travel ban.”

“The Cuba ban? No. Why would we? Carter already shelved it, it’s a stupid policy, and we’ve got political cover. Plus we think we can get something out of it.”

“They’re propping up dictators in Africa.”

“That’s not our remit.”

“They’re jailing dissidents!”

“That’s not our remit.”

“What, you live in a cave now? You’re just going to igno-”

“I’m going to do what I get paid to do and worry about the rest in my off time. If you can’t put up those walls then maybe you see why your white papers aren’t official policy at the moment.”

“This is punishment, isn’t it?”

“I don’t know what you could possibly mean.”

“Fuck you. This is because our old boss backed the Conservative Party defections. Well he was fired, wasn't he? That's not good enough for you? You're purging us, you're gonna destroy a successful partnership just because an old man had the effrontery to stand up and tell the truth about your spineless candidate and-”

“Listen friend, if you’re suggesting the State Department is that politicized we can end this right now. Is Anderson mad at you? Maybe. Are Christopher and Milliken pissed off? I don’t personally take meetings with them but my guess is shit yeah, they’re pissed off. Do you think that trickles down to me? Are you that venal? Say what you want about Anderson, he’s a stickler for protocol. None of that inter-party shit comes back on me, on any of us.”

“So what are you saying?”

“I’m saying sometimes you just lose.”

The two men stare at each other for a beat.

“You know where we take this next, don’t you?”

“You take it wherever you have to take it, and god bless. You still want lunch or-”

“Fuck you.”

Lou takes his leave.

Last edited:
Well, someone's decided that "Oh well, next time will be better" is for chumps, why do I get the feeling that Lou about to cut his nose off to spite his face.