Playing with Mirrors

Election Night '84 - 11:32
11:32

Two more projections at this time: Nebraska for James Buckley, Arkansas for Dick Lamm. That’s a very good result for Dick Lamm across the Upper South, sweeping it with the exception of Virginia. This may be a sign that the Solid South is not as uniform as it perhaps once was. Or it could be a sign that Lamm’s strong labor and immigration reform message found resonance here.

There has been some talk of a different dynamic settling in the Upper South as opposed to the Deep South in this cycle. The Republicans have managed to retain a greater presence there thanks to what some people are calling the Arkansas Model or the Clinton Model, which has kept the region from being as completely dominated by the ACP as the states to the south.

So are we then giving credit for these Democratic wins in Appalachia, Arkansas, North Carolina, are we saying they owe this to the Republicans?

Well, as always, they owe the victory to getting more votes to the other guys, but I think the GOP pulling center and right-of-center votes away from the ACP was definitely a big help.

wGQhJbMni5xZFxdQOwRJn5b7p3L6a_cSD1ThZvQIXTxiKUfNmFw3P1chWAaehX9AoQRoR2b5BwoK7eUd98B0JRnKThsjcju8b9h5_dRl5Bk0GSvpWKnQg62th9mzZE4_AFnxlNbi

Anderson: 165
Buckley: 70
Lamm: 141

Election Night '84 - 11:39
11:39

And we’re back with a few more states to call: Oregon for president Anderson. Important for him but no big surprise, though it’s important not to take anything for granted tonight, as we’ve learned to our chagrin. And two states for Mr. Buckley: Idaho and the great state of North Dakota. Not that they’ll do him any good, he’s already been mathematically eliminated from the race.

XZaKa_ksfF0VYEkoJ_Poerrsiys3g1H6z_UJTnSpq6dx79A2VUTSCQXCj_t4t7LTu5Lxr6B_w6bbrP7YQ1rGAiGHaYodIr9N2lpU9iuYmppYF-wFXuAT7X76PmAmkc2-mhE37x4P

Anderson: 172
Buckley: 77

Still no sign from the remaining big game tonight: California, Texas, and Florida. Together they contain 97 of the remaining 148 electoral votes. But we should point out at this point that the margins for Governor Lamm of the Democrats are getting pretty thin. He needs 129 additional electoral votes to win, which means he can afford to lose very few of the remaining states and must sweep all three of those big prizes.

It's not out of the question, Tom. There's still that theory that he might end up doing very well in the Southwest, and that's where most of the outstanding states are at this time. But until we see results, it is just a theory.

Election Night '84 - 11:51
11:51

Okay we tried to call this one earlier for Senator Buckley and now we can confirm, he has won the state of Montana. That’s a very good result for the Conservative senator tonight in the Mountain West and the Great Plains.

In addition, we’re ready to call the state of Kansas with its seven electoral votes for President John B. Anderson. Another close three-way race where it looks like the incumbency factor may have worked to the president’s advantage.

i1c6IRLmsTssL29vjttVy6N1JUXaTqMAZlamq-UYfI5gxWPgcYOAbr01dAQXY1xLbvBdvoMC6A8R3i_P30TfnoiWqrB4ftVSfMFPKwcHiAwmPFz1AX05dXsGOJMUIKC8KfyL4MG4

Anderson: 179
Buckley: 81

Dick Lamm is really on a knife’s edge here, Tom. And if we do see things splitting down the middle or if Buckley pulls off even one or two more upsets, we really could see a no-win election.

Yes, and we’re going to be talking with former White House Counsel Robert Lipshutz here in just a few minutes to discuss the legal processes and ramifications of a hung election when we come back, right after these messages.

Election Night '84 - 12:10
12:10

“So is it juicy?”
“What?”
The story, is it juicy? Do we have to stay?”
“This is why we get paid the big bucks.”
“Yeah, until tomorrow when they fire all of us for getting the calls wrong.”
“Everybody got the calls wrong. Every network can’t fire every call team.”
“It doesn’t sound like you’ve met the networks.”​

Election Night '84 - 12:27
12:27

Well it looks like one of our longest droughts of the night is over and we can make another call. The state of New Mexico goes to Governor Richard Lamm, keeping him in this race.

KrzSjNBzt7ekRMgeYl7cXq4kbCQ9EI33Xvb0Ml_xS-FnRf4a4SzV15luPzgVgMLILHdFDpnU0lAqpuHrCGb4rCH8zo1TaXpvVEmC5DsMJP4ATvZp4YFWYLSzOL3TRdHuwmoHaMMP

Anderson: 179
Lamm: 146

It’s a difficult path for him from here directly to the presidency, but not an impossible one.

That’s right, Tom. The Democrats are potentially competitive in most of the remaining states. Less so in Alaska and Nevada maybe, but those are two states Lamm could lose and still win the presidency if he sweeps the rest.

Not to mention that the whole electoral landscape is utterly up-in-the-air right now.

Anyone who went into tonight thinking they knew what was going to happen probably has a bridge to sell you, too.

Election Night '84 - 12:34
12:34

Well this is a rare feat; we’re ready to call Alaska and there are still states left on the board. Alaska gives its three electoral votes to the president. You know the Alaskans complain, and perhaps rightly so, that elections are usually called before their tally is known, and often before their polls are even closed if it’s a landslide. Well this one’s for you, Alaska. Your votes matter.

9cFcMVZDdcnFN9GgypmgdzH6t36xNR-6TkJNLJEhm_MxzpQlBPu4UpCjMjkyRO3OmcJSiLbu9W4uEheTFrQkNv04suUkmC1_jYGJCbpYur-agSvEiTGEXRXyvUVaSI1v0Sy9DYcY

Anderson: 182

Election Night '84 - 12:50
12:50

This is another setback for both the Democrats and Republicans. We’re ready to call Nevada for Senator Buckley at this time. Lamm never had a great chance there, but even a long-shot hope was worth holding onto tonight. But it was not meant to be.

QQ0k7YDcepuXlzHxjMCTm1tkcUEJPcgVvdgG3ZlcwFSAnNreRc5pe-9rZyI7IRTcGZX2j5NtEc2IufyDEM8qkWe8jnp2zucOM82mdi7j6tkzgNWZPgRMEsud6OxW9WDx5FMuRPGh

Buckley: 85

Election Night '84 - 1:00
1:00

“Okay, I swear to god there’s gonna be a riot here if they try to keep us much longer. The union guys will burn the place to the ground.”
“I heard from the booth, they’re ending at 2:00 whether it’s called or not.”
“UGH. Another hour? Well at least we have a time.”
“No we don’t.”
“You just said-”
“Not you and me. We stay and man the ticker until we can call it. Then we prep the morning shows.”
“MOTHERF-”​

Election Night '84 - 1:06
1:06

Huge news at this hour, Texas, the Lone Star state is being called for Dick Lamm. This is a big hurdle for Lamm to surmount, it keeps him in the game, just when he needs it the most.

8lhDLmyO8CXG_4dgpaFgSyWGP8EP3kURaPf6S5c6fLqUF8JwlaiItnh-74lTEt10OnBIRbTMhdGRM7ioAS5BP8VxTmj3ViHrHMNxIlwllYA1ZOIL4foMlDngxSy0ZPlw73nk3o6S

Lamm: 175

However it does now bring the president close to that point of mathematical impossibility as well. Governor Lamm now has to sweep the table, no ifs ands or buts about it. The president is very close to that point.

Election Night '84 - 1:50
1:50

It’s closing in on 2 o’clock in the morning here in New York and we are set to end the broadcast at that hour. But here in the closing minutes, we have two very important calls to make, including the biggest state in the union. Both Washington state and California can now be called for president John B. Anderson. What this means is that he is now the only candidate who can hope to directly win the presidency via the electoral college. Dick Lamm is out. James Buckley is long out of it. And the president’s path is far from certain. It all comes down to Missouri and Florida. Arizona no longer matters for electoral purposes. The president must win in Missouri and Florida to win the election, otherwise it all goes to a very divided congress.

We have no real notion of what would happen at that point. No single party is going to be able to claim a majority in the House of Representatives, or indeed in the Senate where they would elect the Vice President in this scenario. Can the parties make a deal? How will the American people respond to an undemocratic result to the election? The days and weeks ahead could be very interesting ones.

You know, there’s said to be an old Chinese proverb…

ha-roovwD5g_cFbNw1RukYy7ks37EPvybwvS0PWQ8UhzImD_x4wAMuahICz6FinJdvRZsWJFXKRwEpWQBhDme5G9o3-YCOp2cYAUqhy4Q1W27xHD44QH1XY5xLhzXzrTyWPdRQjn

Anderson: 239
Lamm: 175

WHAT'S THIS?
ELECTORAL INDECISION?
BROADCASTERS BRING BALLOTBOX BLUEBALLS?
CAN OUR HEROES SURVIVE THE NIGHT?
WHO WILL EMERGE VICTORIOUS?
TUNE IN LATER TO FIND OUT!
SAME JOHN B ANDERSON TIME, SAME JOHN B ANDERSON CHANNEL!

(Not actually sure what time. Unclear. But soon!)

WHAT'S THIS?
ELECTORAL INDECISION?

Choice.

WHAT'S THIS?
ELECTORAL INDECISION?

Why, that cliffhanging counterfactual cur has done it again, Robin...

I just realized something.

You know who is likely going to get to make the first call as to who won the election or if it goes to the House? Al and Hashim at 6 a.m. on Euclid Avenue!

There's got to be an update showing them talking about how they might be the first.

You know who is likely going to get to make the first call as to who won the election or if it goes to the House? Al and Hashim at 6 a.m. on Euclid Avenue!

There's got to be an update showing them talking about how they might be the first.

To quote @Yes ’s favorite prime minister...I couldn’t possibly comment.

Score +1 for the continuing relevance, integrity and superiority of print media over those televised pretenders!

Score -1 for Hashim, who will have to put up with Al never letting him hear the end of it.

Final Results of the 1984 Election
November 7th, 1984

Throughout the remainder of the foreshortened night the last three results came in:

2:54

Arizona for Governor Lamm

3:59

Florida for President Anderson

4:25

Missouri for President Anderson

rgoTJFUCBUUjKjB0Th8DIYygHP3yKnnVnN1sJhVIhXQMOh_av6OC92cBGQ1EHKuu7EUEGFkbsJ38jFF5675e5X6hryM4DI_MW3wPguc1dQBzQeJR4Vn5McAh4wESXgc8BpfYiCT0

Final result:
Anderson 271*
Buckley 85
Lamm 182

----

4:26 AM November 7th, 1984
John B. Anderson is woken up and told the news.

“...Good. Now let’s never do this again.”

----

January 7th, 1985

7th and Euclid

“EXTRY! EXTRY! Read all about it! Final House races called! 99th Congress set! Full results:

House of Representatives
Conservatives 103 (+29)
Democrats 190 (-5)
Republicans 143 (-23)

Senate
Conservatives 16 (+2)
Democrats 48 (+4)
Republicans 38 (-4)”

“Wait, how can it be Democrats and Conservatives plus six and Republicans only minus four?”

“Oh uh, DC. They added two for DC this time around. The amendment?”

“Ah.”

“Yeah, there’s also an extra dude in the House until the next census. Or dudette, I guess; it’s a lady.”

“Ah.”

A well-dressed man approaches Al.

“Morning.”

“Howzit going? Paper?”

“Sure. Say, this is a nice spot you got here.”

“Thanks.”

“Lot’s of foot traffic. Nice little plaza by the park.”

“It’s a good spot.”

“You own it outright?”

“Sure do! Inherited from my uncle when he retired.”

“You ever think of selling?”

“Selling?”

“Yeah, sure. I represent a consortium of local media vendors. We own the Aunt Ruthie’s Corner stores, plus a few other properties. We’ve been branching out into news stands like yours.”

“Oh I don’t think I’m interested, thanks.”

“Really? I haven’t even made the offer yet. We could make you very comfortable. Here, take my card. Think about it and give me a call. I’ve written an amount on the back that I think you’ll find is...quite generous.”

The man walks away. Al turns the card over and stares at the number written there. Hashim breaks the silence.

“Pff, these rich jerks. Think they can buy everything.”

Al just grunts, quietly.

“So how much is it?”

Al continues to look at the card.

“Al? ...hey...Al?”

END OF PART ONE.

AL AND HASHIM WILL RETURN.............................................................???