Plausibility Check: Alliance replaces Labour as main opposition party

Back to Labour when the Conservatives collapse, or a BNP analouge, but that's very unlikely.

The point I'm making, though, is that these voters went Tory in the first place because they liked Thatcherite economic policies. They'd already rejected both centre-Left economics as offered by the Alliance, and the hard-Left of Labour. I don't think there's anywhere else for these voters to go in the 1980s besides the Conservatives.

The point I'm making, though, is that these voters went Tory in the first place because they liked Thatcherite economic policies. They'd already rejected both centre-Left economics as offered by the Alliance, and the hard-Left of Labour. I don't think there's anywhere else for these voters to go in the 1980s besides the Conservatives.

I agree with you, as I said, it's unlikely the Alliance effectively in terms of vote share replace either party outside of a one-off and basically never in seats. Although it's more likely to happen to the Conservative party if it were to.

I agree with you, as I said, it's unlikely the Alliance effectively in terms of vote share replace either party outside of a one-off and basically never in seats. Although it's more likely to happen to the Conservative party if it were to.

Indeed, and herein lies the problem for the Lib Dems today- whichever way they swing, they'll piss off part of their support, owing to being forced to be a centre-right alternative to hard-right Tories in some areas, to being a hard-left alternative to centre-left Labourites in others. Basically, they can't ever properly mature as a party until they properly establish themselves in either camp, IMHO. It's for this reason that I also believe that they would be equally, if not more, unpopular if they had opted to prop up a Labour government last May.