PC/WI: India Partition Reversed As Soon As Possible

Immediately after the partition of India, when’s the most plausible scenario and time that could be reversed? Assuming it was possible for the partition to be reversed and India and Pakistan (both sides) gets reversed, when and how could this happen? How does the history of Asia change as a result? What would the new nation look like? And how does it play a role in global politics?

BigBlueBox

Banned
A reversal of the partition just means an annexation of Pakistan into India, resulting in massive Islamic unrest. It’s either that or the Indo-Pak confederation, which would leave both members as sovereign states.

But has there been too much blood shed to allow for the possibility? My aunt was a nurse in Calcutta (as it was then) during Partition and won't eat fish to this day after seeing the dead floating down the Hooghly! :(

A reversal of the partition just means an annexation of Pakistan into India, resulting in massive Islamic unrest. It’s either that or the Indo-Pak confederation, which would leave both members as sovereign states.

A successful reversal would require a common enemy(s) I suppose.

But has there been too much blood shed to allow for the possibility? My aunt was a nurse in Calcutta (as it was then) during Partition and won't eat fish to this day after seeing the dead floating down the Hooghly! :(

But is it also possible for both sides to reconcile somehow?

China launches an attack up the Burma road attacking both Bengals, trying to invade India?
This would require strange politics on the Chinese side, almost certainly requiring Mao's early death, and the faction that ends up on top has to 'prove' itself. Either a 'short victorious war' to rally people behind them, or if a general ends up on top, then it's to show their devotion to spreading the Revolution.

Lin Biao's coup could be such a catalyst, if it was real And happened.

Last edited:
China launches an attack up the Burma road attacking both Bengals, trying to invade India?
This would require strange politics on the Chinese side, almost certainly requiring Mao's early death, and the faction that ends up on top has to 'prove' itself. Either a 'short victorious war' to rally people behind them, or if a general ends up on top, then it's to show their devotion to spreading the Revolution.

Lin Biao's coup could be such a catalyst, if it was real And happened.

That or the West and Soviets stir things up (maybe alongside the Chinese) in the region that forces the India/Pakistan/Bangaldesh/Sri Lanka (maybe Sri Lanka) to fight a common enemy and unite together.

Could only happen if the decision is made prior to much of the bloodshed, which seems pretty implausible to me.

I meant post-partition. And not all of India/Pakistan has to be in it.
Well then it’s practically impossible. Mug if the hatred already exists, and if India reclaims the Punjab, for example, then there will probably some type of militant Muslim separatist movement there.

Deleted member 116192

Voluntary Re unification is just not possible what is possible is to have a longer indo Pakistan war of 1971 where the USA backs India and USSR for some strange reason backs Pakistan and India somehow wins the war and somehow dissolves Pakistan into sindh , Bangladesh, hands over Baluchistan to Iran , annex's Kashmir and leaves a rump Pakistan, all the new independent states are forced to sign a " treaty of friendship " with India and are reduced to a satellite states which loves India as much as poles loved the soviets.

The two most likely options, and both of them strike me as long shots:

1. An independent Pakistan immediately turns belligerent toward India. Of course, Pakistan straight-up attacking India on its own would be insane; they would be counting on Muslims who remained in India. Naturally they overestimate the support they would receive. Pakistan is defeated, it repatriates with India, and hardcore Muslims see Pakistan the way some Americans see the Confederacy.

2. Communists. When in doubt, have the fucking Communists do it.

Not having any partition at all is really the only way to keep the former British India united together. Once you split them up into new countries, they have their own separate national identities and interests, especially if there's a hell lot of bad blood between them. You might as well ask if Yugoslavia can be reunited.

kholieken

Banned
Earlier India-Afghan alliance and Bengals rebellion at same time ? with Punjabs and Bengals annexed, partition is"reversed".

I'm not buying India annexing Pakistan and Bangladesh. India doesn't want to rule over millions of new Muslim citizens, and those same people would reject a mostly-Hindu government from Delhi suddenly taking over them as well. Nobody is interested in doing something so drastic like a military conquest, it will only mean endless war and rebellion for no gain.

I'm not buying India annexing Pakistan and Bangladesh. India doesn't want to rule over millions of new Muslim citizens, and those same people would reject a mostly-Hindu government from Delhi suddenly taking over them as well. Nobody is interested in doing something so drastic like a military conquest, it will only mean endless war and rebellion for no gain.

Or what if India is ruled by a joint Muslim-Hindu alliance that takes power somehow?