PC: Tenório Cavalcanti, president of Brazil?

Tenório Cavalcanti was one of those historical figures whose life would probably be considered ASB if he was a fictional character. Born in Alagoas in 1906, he moved to the state of Rio de Janeiro (more specifically the future city of Duque de Caxias, then a district of Nova Iguaçu), where he worked as a farm manager and was later elected to a seat in the local city council.

From that moment onward he was involved in several shootouts and other spectacular incidents, earning him much fame and a fearsome reputation. After the end of the Estado Novo dictatorship in 1945, Tenório was elected to the RJ state assembly the following year, and then to the Chamber of Deputies in 1950. He did so as a member of UDN, and not only was he a strong critic of Getúlio Vargas, but he and his newspaper Luta Democrática ("Democratic Fight") were fully supportive of the plot to overturn Juscelino Kubitschek's election in 1955.

He pulled a 180 degree turn by the sixties, however, breaking with UDN and supporting Brizola's campaign to ensure João Goulart's accession as president in 1961. He ran for the governorship of Guanabara and Rio de Janeiro in 1960 and 1962 respectively, but despite getting a respectable share of the vote he lost both races. The 1964 coup d'état finally put an end to his political career.

So, was there any way someone like Tenório could've been elected to the presidency? He was a national figure, one whose profile grew with every scandal he got himself into, and as if that weren't enough he wore a black cape to hide a submachine gun, and was surrounded by goons/bodyguards.

images

His biggest mistake, in my view, was that he took too long to run for executive office, and only did so at a time his star was already on the decline thanks to the rise of PTB as an actor in RJ politics. Perhaps, had he become governor of Rio in 1954 (the candidate UDN chose IOTL didn't do too badly), he could pull a Jânio Quadros in 1960?

@Gukpard @Guilherme Loureiro @Taunay

Tenório Cavalcanti was one of those historical figures whose life would probably be considered ASB if he was a fictional character. Born in Alagoas in 1906, he moved to the state of Rio de Janeiro (more specifically the future city of Duque de Caxias, then a district of Nova Iguaçu), where he worked as a farm manager and was later elected to a seat in the local city council.

From that moment onward he was involved in several shootouts and other spectacular incidents, earning him much fame and a fearsome reputation. After the end of the Estado Novo dictatorship in 1945, Tenório was elected to the RJ state assembly the following year, and then to the Chamber of Deputies in 1950. He did so as a member of UDN, and not only was he a strong critic of Getúlio Vargas, but he and his newspaper Luta Democrática ("Democratic Fight") were fully supportive of the plot to overturn Juscelino Kubitschek's election in 1955.

He pulled a 180 degree turn by the sixties, however, breaking with UDN and supporting Brizola's campaign to ensure João Goulart's accession as president in 1961. He ran for the governorship of Guanabara and Rio de Janeiro in 1960 and 1962 respectively, but despite getting a respectable share of the vote he lost both races. The 1964 coup d'état finally put an end to his political career.

So, was there any way someone like Tenório could've been elected to the presidency? He was a national figure, one whose profile grew with every scandal he got himself into, and as if that weren't enough he wore a black cape to hide a submachine gun, and was surrounded by goons/bodyguards.

images

His biggest mistake, in my view, was that he took too long to run for executive office, and only did so at a time his star was already on the decline thanks to the rise of PTB as an actor in RJ politics. Perhaps, had he become governor of Rio in 1954 (the candidate UDN chose IOTL didn't do too badly), he could pull a Jânio Quadros in 1960?

Possibly. If we keep his personality the same as OTL (that is, taking a while to run for office), he *could* reverse his decline and be elected president in the 70s (assuming no 1964 coup).
But yeah, having him win the Governorship of Rio and then running as the 1960 UDN candidate is a possibility. I'm curious, what were some of his political views?

Possibly. If we keep his personality the same as OTL (that is, taking a while to run for office), he *could* reverse his decline and be elected president in the 70s (assuming no 1964 coup).
But yeah, having him win the Governorship of Rio and then running as the 1960 UDN candidate is a possibility. I'm curious, what were some of his political views?
He was an ordinary udenista (minus the elitist bent) until the 1960s, after which he made a huge turn leftward.

images

I need to use my mafia skills to type here.

Yo big V, GKP in the area. Big T and his gun (that fancy MP40 given by him by Góes "Blitzkrieg" Monteiro himself) were figures from Hell de Janeiro, as such he didn't had the street smart skills to be elected in Brazil, capisce?
By having the United Dandies Normalcy league to run him is to ask the whole 'hood to come guns blazing and crack him worse than Washington Luis crushed Vital Brasil and his goons in '26.

Last edited:
He was an ordinary udenista (minus the elitist bent) until the 1960s, after which he made a huge turn leftward.
Not sure if i'd call him ordinary, he was basically just a mafia boss and his career was much more tied to personal beef than political views, IIRC he became a supporter of Brizola and Jango becuse he despised Lacerda(who doesn't?) and his whole beef with Getulio began becuse he had tried to weaken his grasp over Duque de Caxias. I think Cavalcanti is too infamous to become president, there had already been a case in the 50s when he had the chief police director of Duque de Caxias killed and he holed himself in an actual bunker, with oxygen cilinders and all, and only came out of his fortress when Osvaldo fucking Aranha came to ask him to surrender.

Last edited:
Maybe if the whole murder of a police officer doesn't happen for some reason, he could run for governor of Guanabara and still get into beef with Lacerda. Had he won i think he would have just been a pro Jango version of Lacerda, ruling Rio de Janeiro with militias, but he would still be a really volatille figure that probably causes more headache to Jango down the line.

Not sure if i'd call him ordinary, he was basically just a mafia boss and his career was much more tied to personal beef than political views, IIRC he became a supporter of Brizola and Jango becuse he despised Lacerda(who doesn't?) and his whole beef with Getulio began becuse he had tried to weaken his grasp over Duque de Caxias. I think Cavalcanti is too infamous to become president, there had already been a case in the 50s when he had the chief police director of Duque de Caxias killed and he holed himself in an actual bunker, with oxygen cilinders and all, and only came out of his fortress when Osvaldo fucking Aranha came to ask him to surrender.
I know the WI is a very tall order, it's just that his life was so ridiculous I couldn't help but wonder "how far could he go?" Ironically, averting this or that scandal (there are so many...) could actually hurt his career, given how much it depended on his reputation as a gun-toting marksman always ready for a fight.

I know the WI is a very tall order, it's just that his life was so ridiculous I couldn't help but wonder "how far could he go?" Ironically, averting this or that scandal (there are so many...) could actually hurt his career, given how much it depended on his reputation as a gun-toting marksman always ready for a fight.
plan B, he kills Lacerda like he almost killed young ACM, and the grateful population elects him.