Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 199 72.6%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 75 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly expecting Congress to give Patton a 5th star with a near unanimous majority alongside a MoH. Maybe a Senator or two daring Truman to veto the promotion and threatening that they'll give Patton a 6th star when they override the veto.
Doesn't quite work like that. Congress can authorize the president to appoint someone to a new and higher grade (as was done with Omar Bradley's promotion to be general of the army), but it cannot force the Chief Executive to actually make the appointment, which is a constitutionally protected preroragative outside the remit of the legislative branch. Truman could veto the authorizing legislation, and Congress could override it, but he can still decline to make the actual promotion, which is an entirely discretionary act on his part, independent of what anyone wants or desires.

I believe nominations for promotion to any rank of general have to be made by the president. Congress's role in the process is for the senate to approve (or reject) the president's nominations, but they can't make a nomination themselves.

A member of Congress can nominate Patton for the Medal of Honor though, and Congress can approve the MoH through legislation (assuming they can override a presidential veto.)
Essentially correct. Ordinarily, assuming the necessary enabling legislation has been passed, the president nominates, the Senate confirms (or not), and finally, the president appoints. The Congress can authrorize the president to make an appointment of a named individual to a higher rank or grade, as was done with General Bradley, but the president is no way obligated to use this authority.

Does anyone else think Ridgeway's policy change of not requiring senior commanders/staff to visit the front will backfire on him?
I hope that our author might consider revising this point. In OTL, one of Ridgeway's principal complaints was that commanders and staff were not visiting the front often enough ( which his predecessor had also complained about, but had not corrected). Ridgeway, unlike Walker, saw to it his wishes were complied with. I consider it highly unlikely he would change Patton's policy on this score.

CHAPTER 23

(Colonel Abrams had mentioned that a visit to the front every second day was mandatory for senior officers – another rule that wasn’t going to be enforced any longer).
This is out of character for Ridgway. He was a strong believer in leading from the front and expected his corps commanders to get out to the frontline regimental and battalion CPs*. Patton getting shot wouldn't change his mind, as that was just the price you had to occasionally pay for effective leadership.

Blair, Clay "The Forgotten War" page 574

General George S. Patton has, today, accepted the honor of being awarded the Medal of Honor, and the promotion to Five Star General of the Army by the unusual method of glueing the star of Medal of Honor to his helmet.

General George S. Patton has, today, accepted the honor of being awarded the Medal of Honor, and the promotion to Five Star General of the Army by the unusual method of glueing the star of Medal of Honor to his helmet.
Nope, that's not in accordance with the West Point Regulations on the wear of the uniform. ;)

Harry Truman is a Boubon man, not Scotch. Spent time at the Truman library and museum quite a bit and him and Bess are Bourbon folks.

I hope that our author might consider revising this point. In OTL, one of Ridgeway's principal complaints was that commanders and staff were not visiting the front often enough ( which his predecessor had also complained about, but had not corrected). Ridgeway, unlike Walker, saw to it his wishes were complied with. I consider it highly unlikely he would change Patton's policy on this score.
Corrected both of these, thanks :)

Patton has the Chinese on the run when he's ordered to give a speech on the front line and is wounded there.
Patton actually ordered the speech himself... not that the media will mention that of course ;)

Bradley's fifth [star], assuming he still got it in September as in OTL
He did get it ITTL.

If the men of 8th Army are devoted to Patton, their a lot different then the men of 3rd Army, or 7th Army for that matter.
Very true, but a lot of men in the other two armies had previous commanders that had actually done a good job to point to as comparisons. 8th Army... had Walker, and when Walker got in that plane crash, their morale was about as low as an army's can be.

I he plays his tcards well, Patton could end up on the next presidential ticket, or a s senator for California.
You mean, "if Beatrice plays his cards well for him" :p. George had about as much political skill as a stick of dynamite.

I love it!
Thanks mate!

Yep that administration sounds like one hell of a prelude to ww3.
Sure there would even be a prelude? If Patton has any say in the matter, war probably starts on January 20.

This deserves a turtledove award.
Thanks - really appreciate it!

Nope, that's not in accordance with the West Point Regulations on the wear of the uniform. ;)
Shame, that would be quite the scene!

- BNC

I couldn't see Patton being on a ticket in 1952, but if MacArthur runs in the primaries (which I think would be likely) then perhaps he becomes his chief advocate against Truman

I like to think that the news networks edit the footage slightly to make it more presentable and don't run Patton live, but I'll leave it open to interpretation :)

- BNC
1950? They wouldn't have the technology to run it "live". It would have been a filmed presentation shown on network TV at a later date...

Read the TL, and I think it's reasonably good even if I think Patton is a bit more prescient at times then he would have actually been.
This is out of character for Ridgway. He was a strong believer in leading from the front and expected his corps commanders to get out to the frontline regimental and battalion CPs*. Patton getting shot wouldn't change his mind, as that was just the price you had to occasionally pay for effective leadership.

Blair, Clay "The Forgotten War" page 574
Quite. All accounts of Ridgeway indicate he was a highly able, professional, and aggressive soldier. I'd honestly call him a better general then Patton, since he had all of Patton's high qualities (intelligence, aggressiveness, respect for the enemy’s capabilities) with none of his foibles (ego, arrogance, undiplomatic bearing, disrespect for the chain of command, disregard for logistics). He did a lot OTL to whip the 8th Army into a effective fighting instrument after Walker and MacArthur had let it languish for far too long, basically a lot of what Patton did here. ATL, he's very unlikely to relax Patton's discipline, since he can see how effective it is at keeping the men in fighting shape.
Let me guess, Ridgeway's actions are going to fuck things up, forcing Truman to put Patton back in command.
I really hope this TL doesn't do Ridgeway dirty like that. The man was one of the US's finest commanders in the 20th century.

Last edited:
A sniper, firing at a non-moving target in the open, and he misses center-of-mass, that much, twice?

But I think I can explain it. The sniper fired from very long range - 800-1,200 meters. He underestimated the drop across that distance. (Which would be about 5 meters - he's about 0.5 meter off. His sights are probably not well calibrated for such long range.) And he fired the second shot while the first shot was still in the air. (An AK-47 round would take 1 to 1.5 seconds to travel that far.)

A sniper, firing at a non-moving target in the open, and he misses center-of-mass, that much, twice?

But I think I can explain it. The sniper fired from very long range - 800-1,200 meters. He underestimated the drop across that distance. (Which would be about 5 meters - he's about 0.5 meter off. His sights are probably not well calibrated for such long range.) And he fired the second shot while the first shot was still in the air. (An AK-47 round would take 1 to 1.5 seconds to travel that far.)
Or perhaps it could be two snipers together, both using the same incorrect estimation for the distance?

chankljp

Donor
You know something that I just realized? Considering that thanks to Patton, UN forces were able to push into North Korea a lot quicker, the levels and intensity of bombing campaign against the country would likely not have been as heavy compared to OTL, in which an estimated 85% of the country's buildings were razed.

Meaning that the northern parts of Korea will retain a lot more of their colonial-era infrastructure that were set up by the Japanese. Take the Sup'ung Dam that I have mentioned from earlier, for example, with it being the largest hydroelectric dam in Asia at the time, which in OTL was not targeted for bombing until May 1953 (As a reminder, we are still in November 1950 right now). This means that unless the Chinese managed to push the UN all the way back to the 38 parallel, in addition to holding onto much more land and control a larger population, the ROK should be able to industrialize much quicker and easier, given them a much stronger economy and higher standards of living depending on how quickly the government in Seoul can get their corruption problem under control, and secure countries that they can export to.

The idea of there being a much earlier Miracle on the Han River right on the PRC and the USSR's doorstep will certainly have some very interesting implications on how the rest of the Cold War would develop. Especially in the case of the former, assuming the famine caused by the Great Leap Forward still happens.

And as a lover of history, I really like the idea of cities in northern Korea beyond just Kaesong managing to retain their historical buildings without having to be rebuilt almost totally from the ground-up.

You know something that I just realized? Considering that thanks to Patton, UN forces were able to push into North Korea a lot quicker, the levels and intensity of bombing campaign against the country would likely not have been as heavy compared to OTL, in which an estimated 85% of the country's buildings were razed.

Meaning that the northern parts of Korea will retain a lot more of their colonial-era infrastructure that were set up by the Japanese. Take the Sup'ung Dam that I have mentioned from earlier, for example, with it being the largest hydroelectric dam in Asia at the time, which in OTL was not targeted for bombing until May 1953 (As a reminder, we are still in November 1950 right now). This means that unless the Chinese managed to push the UN all the way back to the 38 parallel, in addition to holding onto much more land and control a larger population, the ROK should be able to industrialize much quicker and easier, given them a much stronger economy and higher standards of living depending on how quickly the government in Seoul can get their corruption problem under control, and secure countries that they can export to.

The idea of there being a much earlier Miracle on the Han River right on the PRC and the USSR's doorstep will certainly have some very interesting implications on how the rest of the Cold War would develop. Especially in the case of the former, assuming the famine caused by the Great Leap Forward still happens.

And as a lover of history, I really like the idea of cities in northern Korea beyond just Kaesong managing to retain their historical buildings without having to be rebuilt almost totally from the ground-up.
unbelievably based

Status
Not open for further replies.