Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 199 72.6%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 75 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sergeants Meeks and Mims dropped the captured rifles and prepared to walk the mile and a half back down river to the ford they had crossed 2 hours previously.

"Godspeed, old man. I hope the send off was everything you hoped for."
x'D
Not quite what I had in mind for next chapter unfortunately...

If he does go out, hopefully he will be avenged tenfold and the war wrapped up ASAP.
Is it actually possible to avenge Patton ten times over? To my knowledge the Chinese army doesn't even have one general of equivalent badassery, much less ten of them!

- BNC

chankljp

Donor
I know that this is not the fandom sub-forum, but when Patton got shot by a sniper at the climax of his speech to the assembled troops (Right next to the river, no less!), I got a VERY strong "Fallout New Vegas" vibe.... The only thing missing was if the speech was given at the Sup'ung Dam or something. :p

Assuming that he really was killed instead of just being wounded, the Chinese might just have done Patton a favour. Considering that if word gets out about the content of his speech, it would undoubtedly get him into a heck a lot of trouble with Truman. By getting killed in such a fittingly dramatic fashion, not only did Patton went out the way that he had always wanted to (Well, maybe not quite, since I imagine that he would have preferred to have went down fighting in a hail of bullets, blasting at the enemy with his iconic paris of revolvers in hand), it ensures that his martyrdom in the eyes of the American public forever. ESPECIALLY since he got camera crews and reporters there to record everything for posterity.

I highly doubt that the Korean War will be 'forgotten' in the public consciousness in TTL.

He could yet live, depending on where he was hit. If he was in dress uniform with all his medals and ribbons, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the bullets was blocked by said medals.

I know that this is not the fandom sub-forum, but when Patton got shot by a sniper at the climax of his speech to the assembled troops (Right next to the river, no less!), I got a VERY strong "Fallout New Vegas" vibe.... The only thing missing was if the speech was given at the Sup'ung Dam or something. :p

Assuming that he really was killed instead of just being wounded, the Chinese might just have done Patton a favour. Considering that if word gets out about the content of his speech, it would undoubtedly get him into a heck a lot of trouble with Truman. By getting killed in such a fittingly dramatic fashion, not only did Patton went out the way that he had always wanted to (Well, maybe not quite, since I imagine that he would have preferred to have went down fighting in a hail of bullets, blasting at the enemy with his iconic paris of revolvers in hand), it ensures that his martyrdom in the eyes of the American public forever. ESPECIALLY since he got camera crews and reporters there to record everything for posterity.

I highly doubt that the Korean War will be 'forgotten' in the public consciousness in TTL.
The question "Do you remember where you were when you saw Patton get shot?" might arise

Chesty gets glory for the devil dogs.

As for Patton... those poor stupid bastards.

They struck down Patton the Grey... now he shall return as Patton the White, ready to turn the tide.

mattep74

Kicked
8th army will be demoralized upon hearing the news, for 5 - 10minutes, then they will be angry bastards and want revenge.

chankljp

Donor
Regardless of if Patton end up surviving the assassination attempt against him or not (Yes, I know that instead of a deliberate attempt specifically targeting 'Old Blood and Guts', it might just be a random Chinese/exiled North Korean sniper picking off the most important looking, not to mention attention grabbing American officer across the Yalu River without really realising who it was that he shot... But you can be sure that this is NOT how the media will be presenting things to the public), MacArthur, being the infamous incorrigible gloryhound that he is, will be so furious for hogging the spotlight stealing everyone's attention.

Worst, if Patton actually dies and achieve martyrdom status, when it gets around to write his memoir in the 1960s, 'Dugout Doug' will not even be able to trash-talk or downplay Patton's contributions in his book without coming across as a petty jerk. The best he could do will be to pretend as if Patton and him were BFFs, and that he had 'inspired' most of the former's tactics, or something like that... Which will render him as the side-attraction to Patton's star headliner in the Korean War... Despite him having the superior rank. Oh, MacArthur will be so mad at this! :rolleyes:

Across the Yalu River, again, regardless of if Patton dies from getting shot or not, the Chinese will absolutely be turning this into a propaganda coup. In my collection of vintage books, I have this booklet from Mainland China published in 1956, containing pencil sketches telling the stories of the Volunteer Army in the Korean War:

50765645706_1ca34f96a2_z.jpg

Most of the tales in the booklet were obviously at best exaggerated, or at worst made up, with them filling the check list of every freaking war story trope you can find (The kindhearted beautiful young nurse, the inspirational 'father to his men' officer, the bright-eyed idealist filled with righteous anger as he comforts a lone survivor war orphan at a bombed out farming villages that had been massacred by the American devils... etc, etc). With the following being the worst offender I could find, as they LITERALLY flat out copied the story of John Basilone at Guadalcanal shooting his heavy machine gun bare handed without a tripod word for word:

50764912248_6f28efa811_z.jpg

In the case of Patton, I could see them finding the sniper that shot him, and making him into a military folk hero. Maybe presenting this to the population as how the warmongering madman Patton was going to announce the invasion of Mainland China itself in his speech. But by shooting general, this 'People's hero' was able to prevent the Americans from doing so and eventually force the imperialists to sue for peace. Spinning what is clearly a total defeat at this point into a last-ditch victory.

He could yet live, depending on where he was hit. If he was in dress uniform with all his medals and ribbons, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the bullets was blocked by said medals.
He was presumably hit from a blindside when he was standing in front of the reporters, so being saved by a medal is unlikely.

I know that this is not the fandom sub-forum, but when Patton got shot by a sniper at the climax of his speech to the assembled troops (Right next to the river, no less!), I got a VERY strong "Fallout New Vegas" vibe.... The only thing missing was if the speech was given at the Sup'ung Dam or something.
I haven't played any of the Fallout games, so that's just an amazing coincidence :)

I did consider naming the TL "the Unforgettable War" or something to that effect at one point - Patton and MacArthur are simply too big of a media spectacle to ever be forgotten!

The question "Do you remember where you were when you saw Patton get shot?" might arise
I was at my desk writing this thing when it happened, how about you? :p

- BNC

“An outcome,” he said, raising his sword high into the air, “where the hammer and the sickle are no more welcomed in the world than is the goddamned swastika!”
He drove the sword into the ice of the Yalu, right through what had until now been a small crack.

Before the words were even fully out of his mouth, two Chinese rifles barked behind him. Patton never saw the pair of bullets that knocked him to the ground.
Well there is an operating word for people doing theatrics in a frontline without cover... at least he did not bring artillery and mortar fire down, that would hit more men.

Sergeants Meeks and Mims dropped the captured rifles and prepared to walk the mile and a half back down river to the ford they had crossed 2 hours previously.

"Godspeed, old man. I hope the send off was everything you hoped for."

I must admit to admiring your devious train of thought.

I expected this to be Patton arranging his death in some way since the dramatics and all fits way to well, especially getting shot right as he plunges the blade into the river. But since OP denied that I guess it’s just coincidence and God giving Patton what he wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.