Our Cold War: An Alternate History Interactive Cold War

Chapter 22: Victory in Africa
Chapter 22: Victory in Africa

In Africa, American and Commonwealth troops were already prepared to support favorite political parties in the next elections. The Western Allies could not afford to lose Central Africa important Uranium mines to the Axis, with Uranium being fundamental for the production of Atomic bombs. Luckily, neither in the Central Africa Republic, Senegal or Madagascar a military intervention was necessary. American funding for pro-Western political parties were enough to gain the majority of the votes. Already, American and Commonwealth troops entered the countries with the support of their de-facto puppets in Africa to protect said countries from Axis expansion. As a matter of fact, both the German, Spanish and Italians seemed interested in turning these three countries into vassal states to expand their great empires.

Africa, 1953.png

Africa in 1953

I hope you guys like this new update! Be sure to like(if you like it), comment(please comment so I can learn what your opinion is), vote (this is our Cold War damn it! You're supposed to help shaping the world!) and.....follow I guess.

Chapter 23: Espionage decisions
Chapter 23: Espionage decisions

After the end of the Third World War, all major powers engaged in espionage, using a great variety of spies, double agents, and new technologies such as the tapping of telephone cables. The most famous and active organizations were the American CIA, the German Stasi, and the Japanese kōanchōsa-chō. The Russian KGB, unlike the others, was primarily concerned with internal security, but its Main Directorate for Reconnaissance operated espionage activities around the world. The CIA secretly subsidized and promoted anti-nationalistic cultural activities and organizations. The CIA was also involved in African politics, especially in Central Africa. Espionage took place all over the world, but Europe was the most important battleground for spying activity.

So much top-secret archival information has been released so that historian Raymond L. Garthoff concludes there probably was parity in the quantity and quality of secret information obtained by each side. However, the Germans probably had an advantage in terms of HUMINT (espionage) and "sometimes in its reach into high policy circles." In terms of decisive impact, however, he concludes:

"We also can now have high confidence in the judgment that there were no successful "moles" at the political decision-making level on either side. Similarly, there is no evidence, on either side, of any major political or military decision that was prematurely discovered through espionage and thwarted by the other side. There also is no evidence of any major political or military decision that was crucially influenced (much less generated) by an agent of the other side."
In addition to usual espionage, the Western agencies paid special attention to debriefing Axis defectors.

With so many spies, double agents and new technologies, the Major Powers had to decided how to use them. Should they be used to instigate revolts in colonies or vassal states? Or should they be used to discover secrets from their opponents? And should spending to these organizations be increased?

Vote here:

Should the Axis improve secret agencies spending?
Should NATO improve secret agencies spenging?
How should Axis secret agencies be used?
How should NATO secret agencies be used?

I hope you guys like this new update! Be sure to like(if you like it), comment(please comment so I can learn what your opinion is), vote (this is our Cold War damn it! You're supposed to help shaping the world!) and.....follow I guess.

Chapter 24: Espionage decisions and the German/Japanese split
Chapter 24: Espionage decisions and the German/Japanese split

While both NATO and the Axis decided to use their espionage branches to support revolts and nationalistic movements in the colonies and vassals of their opponents, only the Axis begun a massive plan of spending towards this sect of the military, while NATO still lagged behind.

However, the Axis also struggled because not only it had NATO as an adversary, but itself as well. Because after the Third World War there were several disagreements between the European Axis, leaded by Germany, and the Japanese Axis, leaded by Japan. This was because Germany had many interests in Asia, including some ex concessions under Japanese control, while Japan wanted to be the undisputed ruler of Asia.

Many in Germany believed that ceding some areas to Japan was a necessary sacrifice in order to keep an important ally in Asia against NATO, while others believed that Germany should not move an inch and keep all of its territories, not caring if the Japanese became an independent faction in this Second Cold War.

The question was obvious: sacrifice some colonies but maintain Japan as an ally, or not move an inch, and causing a more than likely German/Japanese split?

Vote Here:

Chapter 25: The German/Japanese Deal and China ethnic question
Chapter 25: The German/Japanese Deal and China ethnic question

Realizing that losing an important ally as the Japanese over some colonies was the worst idea the Germans could have, a meeting was arranged between European Axis member and Asian Axis members over the issue on September 07 1949, with Germany handing Tsingao to the Japanese, alongside granting Central Asia as a vassal of the Japanese. The Kazak Cossak and Kyrgystan also became closely aligned to the Japanese and became members of the Co-Prosperity Sphere. Spanish possessions in Indonesia were handed to the Japanese vassals in the region.

Asia After the German-Japanese Deal.png

Asia, September 07 1949

With the deal with the Japanese and the Germans, NATO lost a big chance to weaken the Axis, now more united. The next course of action for the survival of the Western Democracies was gaining as much allies as possible. And the United States looked at China. After their defeat in the Second World War, numerous states were officially released from the Chinese nation, but in said nations there were a considerable Han Chinese majority. If these Han Chinese majorities could be handed to the Chinese government, it could mean gaining a new and stronger ally against the Axis. However, some believed that all of the new nations should be integrated by China, even though the non-Han Chinese people living in these countries could rebel and support the Axis as best as they could. Some even believed that all non-Han Chinese deserved their own state, meaning even territories which did not have an Han-Chinese majority should be granted independence at the cost of losing China as an ally.

Ethnic map of China.png

Ethnic Map of China, including the released states which could join China but not the regions under Japanese influence

Vote Gere:

What lands are to be given to China?

Chapter 26: The Nanking Protocol and the Japanese/Thai question
Chapter 26: The Nanking Protocol and the Japanese/Thai question

After several arguments between the Chinese and American governments, it was decided that the best way to maintain stability in China was to release all non Han-Chinese people, creating a variety of independent states. At the same time, various regions inhabited by Han Chinese were incorporated in the Federal Republic of China. Several territories were also handed to Tibet, which was also recognized by the Chinese under American pressure. Various Han-Chinese remained landlocked after the deal, but none the less a system of international corridors allowed for the Chinese government to reach these lands. The new territories would be confirmed after the Nanking protocol of April 08 1950.

China after the Nanking Protocol.png

China after the Nanking Protocol

After the protocol, however, new tensions between the Asian Axis, mostly Siam and Japan rose up. The Siamese wanted to gain controll of the Dai, Zhuang and Bouyei states, while the Japanese intended to integrate the Mongol, Dongxiang, Yugur, Uyghur, Kyrgyz, Kazakh and Tajik states to their various puppets and vassals to gain recognition as the sole holders of these states.

The United States didn't know what could be the best course of action. Should they give the territories to the Axis? Or should they outright refuse? And if they had to give up, to who should they give these states? To Siam or to Japan?

In the meantime, the Asian Axis prepared for a possible conflict, with the Japanese preparing its fleet and moving its armies alongside its allies, Cambodia and Thailand. For the most part they wanted to bluff the Americans into thinking they would just jump into war, but despite being prepared, the Asian Axis was doubtful that the Germans would actually intervene in their favor, meaning that they would have to solo this conflict. So, if the Americans were to refuse, should they show that they mean business and go to war, or back down and possibly lose face?

Regions claimed by the Japanese Thai.png

Regions claimed by Japan and Siam (also known as Thailand)

Vote here:

What should NATO do?

If NATO refuses, what should the European Axis do?

Last edited:
Chapter 27: The Treaty of Ōsaki, Radio Free Europe/Asia
Chapter 27: The Treaty of Ōsaki, Radio Free Europe/Asia

On 10 November 1950 the treaty of Ōsaki was signed between Japan, Siam, China and the United States. In the period before the treaty the Japanese and the Siamese had amassed a considerable amount of men on the border and the Japanese navy was deployed. Several times it looked like the Second Cold War would turn hot, and the United States too prepared their fleet in case of confrontation with the Japanese empire. Luckily, war was averted when the republics of Dai, Zhuang and Bouyei were handed to the Siamese, who also gained some northern territories from the Japanese puppet of Vietnam. At the same time Japan granted its vassals the Mongol, Dongxiang, Yugur, Uyghur, Kyrgyz, Kazakh and Tajik republics. The Republic of Inner Mongolia was partitioned between the Chinese and the Mongol Khanate, with a runt Mongol state with Delhi hot (Delingha) as its capital.

China after the Treaty of Ōsaki.png

China, 10 November 1950

The partition of China between the Siamese and Japanese was a blow of prestige for the Americans, and showed that they still weren't ready for a war against the Axis. Armament of all Western Allied nations must be increased if the Western Democracies are to even come close as to match the might of the Axis. But there were also efforts to weaken the Axis from within.

Media in the Axis Bloc was an organ of the state, completely reliant on and subservient to the local nationalists/pseudo-fascist parties. Radio and television organizations were state-owned, while print media was usually owned by political organizations. German/Japanese radio broadcasts used nationalistic rhetorics.

Along with the broadcasts of the Commonwealth Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and the Voice of America to Asia and Europe, a major propaganda effort begun after the Third World War was Radio Free Europe/Asia, dedicated to bringing about the peaceful demise of the nationalistic system in the Axis Bloc. Radio Free Europe/Asia attempted to achieve these goals by serving as a surrogate home radio station, an alternative to the controlled and party-dominated domestic press. Radio Free Europe/Asia was a product of some of the most prominent architects of America's early Cold War strategy, especially those who believed that the Cold War would eventually be fought by political rather than military means, such as George F. Kennan.

There were many targets both in Europe and Asia for intensification of the broadcasts: in Europe, there were hopes to cause a revolt in Denmark, allowing for the opening of the Danish straits and further possible revolts in the Baltic, and in case of revolt it could be easily supported through Sweden. Western Europe was also a possible region, because there were already several partisan movements against the occupying German government. The Iberian Peninsula wasn't look with much interest, but a possible fall of the Falangist Spanish government could had allowed for a foothold in Europe and access to the Mediterranean sea. Broadcasting in Central Europe would mean causing protests in the den of the lion, the German empire, and as such it was very unlikely. Broadcasting in Mediterranean Europe would mean having Italy back in the old alliance, like in the Great War; that is, if the Western Allies would be able to cross the Straits of Gibraltar. The Balkans were also prized, because even now they were still the "Black powder of Europe", with Austria having to deal with many angry Slavs and Romanians in its territories and vassals, but once again they were hard to reach. And finally there was Eastern Europe, the granary of the European Axis and the hardest region to hit.

In Asia, on the other hand there was Central Asia, which was one of the most problematic regions for the Axis and was easy to support through Afghanistan. East Asia would mean inspiring separatism in Korea and revolts in Mongolia, on top of strengthening relations with China. Southeast Asia was also an extremely likely targets, as the Japanese would have to deal with thousands of revolts at once.

Vote Here:

Where should Radio Free Europe broadcast the most?

Where should Radio Free Asia broadcast the most?

Chapter 28: Chinese rearmament decision
Chapter 28: Chinese rearmament decision

As Radio Free Europe/Asia focused on the Balkans and partially in both Central Europe, East and Central Asia, causing unrest in the Romanian states, Bulgaria, Austria, Albania and Greece, NATO realized that it must arm its members as best as possible. This would mean supporting all possible members of the alliance, including the Chinese states. However some did not believe that arming China would be a wise move. As of it was now, China had become an open market for the West, and some believed that once China created its own armed force, it would not need the United States, it's large population being able to fend off most opponents. Many sought to turn China into a Panama of the East, a sort of vassal state under the control of the United States to wand off any possible Japanese aggression, and at the same time avoiding to have China becoming fully independent.

Others, however, mistrusted this idea, realizing that it would need a large ammount of manpower to protect the nation from the Japanese. Many pushed for the creation of an official Chinese army, supported by the various Chinese states created in the South. Many also sought to help Tibet into becoming a modern state able to support NATO in the East.

Vote Here:

What should NATO do:

Hello Folks.

I'm here to promote my first Map Game: Megaman ZX Fantasy Battle , a crossover between Megaman ZX and Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Here's the link for it:

Chapter 29: The Chinese Civil War
Chapter 29: The Chinese Civil War

Realizing that a war could occur between China and the Japanese, the NATO alliance decided to allow for the rearmament of Chinese forces under the Chinese Self Defense Force. Reinforcing the Chinese would be the various Chinese states and Tibet, who would come in case of war against the Japanese or other members of the Axis. Thus, the Chinese Union war born, a defensive pact created to defend NATO aligned states in China. At the same time, all members of the Chinese Union were forbidden to declare offensive wars.

The rearmament of the Chinese forces came just in time. On January 30 1952, the Chinese Civil War reached its peak. Having started shortly after the end of the Third World War, it was limited with skirmishes between the members of the Reorganized Movement of Chinese Independence under Wang Jingwei, an ex member of the Nationalist Chinese government who wanted to break free from the American occupation. In the 50's, their activities increased in the countryside with the support of the Japanese and Siamese government. Support of the Wang rebellion was in part to gain an ally in China, kicking the Americans out of Asia, and as a mean to counter NATO support of anti-Japanese rebels in Central Asia and Mongolia. The Wang rebellion managed to gain several cities in the countryside, but the majority of the Chinese major cities were under the legitimate government of China. This was due not in short part by the new Chinese army, but the stationing Americans and Commonwealth forces also played a key part in the operations.

But how should the Civil War be handled? Should NATO send more troops or limit themselves with equipment? And should the Japanese do the same? If both the Japanese and NATO decided to support men and equipment to their side, what would happen?

Chinese Civil War.png

The Chinese Civil War

What should NATO do?
What should the Japanese do?
What would happen if Japanese and NATO troops clashed?

Chapter 30: End of the Chinese Civil War, the Southern China War
Chapter 30:End of the Chinese Civil War, the Southern China War

To face the nationalistic revolt that plagued the Chinese countryside, but still fearing that direct intervention might cause a fourth world war, the United States and the Commonwealth sent weapons to the Chinese Republic. This included 100 M108 howitzers, 550 M48 Patton's, 675 M41 Walker Bulldog's, 812 M4 Sherman's, 250 M114 155 mm howitzers, 70 M115 howitzers, 114 Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar's, 320 North American F-86 Sabre's, 50 North American T-28 Trojan's, 246 Republic F-84 Thunderjet, 2 Douglas DC-4's, 102 Republic P-47 Thunderbolt's, 48 Consolidated B-24 Liberator's, 180 North American B-25 Mitchell's, 200 Republic P-43 Lancer's, 104 Vultee P-66 Vanguard's and 115,948 M1 carbines.

On the other hand, Japanese support to the Chinese was much more direct. Entire divisions, disguised as Nationalist Chinese Forces, attacked with the support of the Japanese Air Force. Only the Navy remained inactive to not cause suspicion. Many units serving under the Nationalistic movement were veteran of the Second World War, dissatisfied with the new Chinese government and desiring one free of Western influence.

It was an hard fought war, but without much support from the West, on the 7th of December 1954 the Nationalist Chinese forces capitulated the official government. Officially speaking, the new Nationalistic government controlled all of China, but in reality full control was limited to all territories the Republic of China controlled north of the Yangtze river. On top of that, all the various Chinese states of the Chinese Union were still in the fight, especially the Southern States.

Thus, the second phase of the Chinese Civil War begun, known as the Southern China War, even though it also involved the Western Chinese States as well. At first, the Nationalistic government, supported by Japan, blitzed the enemy across the Yangtze River, and forced the Southern Chinese States to the utter South of the region, while in the West there wasn't much pushing.

Second Chinese Civil War, Maximum Nationalist Advance.png

Maximum advance of the Nationalistic Chinese Forces in September 1954

While the Western Powers did nothing to prevent the spreading of the Nationalistic Government, they knew that they had to do something now. Some believed that China was a lost cause by now, and the best thing they could do was throwing more equipment at the problem. Others realized that with no China, Asia would completely fall in the hands of the Japanese, and the best action to do was sending a UN international force to help the official Republican Government.

The Japanese as well were trying to figure out what to do. By this point, the Nationalistic Government had become quite capable on its own, so some believed that, even if the Nationalists would be pushed back, the Japanese should remain neutral, that of course unless the Nationalists would be pushed all the way to the Manchurian border. Others believed that as long as the Nationalists held what was north of the Yangtze River, neutrality should be maintained. And other believed that the Japanese should continue support for the Nationalists until the very end.

Vote Here:

What should NATO do?:

What should the Japanese do?

Chapter 31: The end of West influence in China
Chapter 31: The end of West influence in China

As the Nationalist Chinese forces continued to advance, and as the Japanese did not stop their support of the new government, NATO decided to simply support the Southern Chinese states from the sidelines, sending equipment rather than troops. No one in NATO was insane enough to start another major war with the Axis, not when it seemed that the Japanese also had developed the atomic bomb, or at the very least they had a German made one.

Without support form any major power, against the Japanese and Thai armies, and with most soldiers lacking morale and just wanting to go home after years of bloody conflict, the Southern China War ended under a Nationalistic victory. No cheering crowd welcomed Wang Jingwei, but no one dared to resist him. What everybody wanted was peace. China wanted peace. Japan wanted peace. The West wanted peace.

Second Chinese Civil War End.png

China after the Nationalists complete victory, January 1955

China was a huge waste of money and resources for the West, and once again, a defeat, like so many other times so far. While the West had managed to take control of some of the independent African nations, they were nothing compared to what the Axis owned. Ever since the Third World War, NATO has been slapped around by the Axis time after time, especially in Asia. If this keeps going on, the Axis might as well become the dominant power in the world.

And so, ended the first phase of the "Cold War". A Cold War that went hot with devastating effects for democracy and a failed containment policy.

Definitive Map.png

The world, 1955, after the Failed Containment Doctrine (1947–1954)

Chapter 32: The death of Mussolini and the next Duce
Chapter 32: The death of Mussolini and the next Duce

On the 5th of March 1955, Italian prime minister and de facto dictator Benito Mussolini died of syphilis, age 76. He was given a state funeral, with four days of national mourning declared. His body was subsequently embalmed and interred in Mussolini's Mausoleum. With the death of the Italian Duce, new problems arose regarding who would become the new Duce of Italy.

However, de facto there were only two contenders: Galeazzo Ciano, a staunch supporter of Mussolini, and Italo Balbo, which despite some of his disagreement with the Duce, was still highly regarded by Italian politics.

Gian Galeazzo Ciano, 2nd Count of Cortellazzo and Buccari was an Italian diplomat and politician who served as Foreign Minister in the government of his father-in-law, Benito Mussolini.

He was the son of Admiral Costanzo Ciano, a founding member of the National Fascist Party; father and son both took part in Mussolini's March on Rome in 1922. Ciano saw action in the Italo-Ethiopian War (1935–36) and was appointed Foreign Minister on his return.

He was the strongest supporter of Mussolini during the Second World War, and it is very likely that he would continue the policies of his father in law.

220px-Galeazzo_Ciano_1936.jpg

Italo Balbo was an Italian fascist politician and Blackshirts' leader who served as Italy's Marshal of the Air Force, Governor-General of Libya and Commander-in-Chief of Italian North Africa.

After serving in World War I, Balbo became the leading Fascist organizer in his home region of Ferrara. He was one of the four principal architects (Quadrumviri del Fascismo) of the March on Rome that brought Mussolini and the Fascists to power in 1922, along with Michele Bianchi, Emilio De Bono and Cesare Maria De Vecchi. In 1926, he began the task of building the Italian Royal Air Force and took a leading role in popularizing aviation in Italy, and promoting Italian aviation to the world. In 1933, perhaps to relieve tensions surrounding him in Italy, he was given the government of Italian Libya, where he resided for the remainder of his life.

Unlike Ciano, Balbo seemed to distance himself from the path Mussolini laid, moving for a different type of fascism, far more mild and more "democratic", relatively similar to German nationalism.

220px-Italio_Balbo_in_the_mountains_%28cropped%29.jpg

Vote Here:

Who will become the next Duce?

Chapter 33: Italo Balbo and the Iranian Crisis
Chapter 33: Italo Balbo and the Iranian Crisis

After the death of Benito Mussolini, Italo Balbo succeeded him as Duce of the Kingdom of Italy, with Galeazzo Ciano retaining his position as foreign minister and ambassador. On 25 February 1956, Balbo shocked delegates to the 20th Congress of the Italian Fascist Party by cataloguing and denouncing Mussolini's crimes. As part of a new campaign of de-Mussolinization, he declared that the only way to reform and move away from Mussolini's policies would be to acknowledge errors made in the past.

Italo_Balbo.jpg

Italo Balbo, new Duce of the Italian Empire

On 18 November 1956, while addressing Western dignitaries at a reception in Berlin's Italian embassy, Balbo infamously declared, "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you", shocking everyone present. He would later say he had not been referring to nuclear war, but the historically fated victory of nationalism/fascism over capitalism.

New problems quickly arose in the meantime, with the Iranian Crisis. The Iranian Crisis, or the Second Iranian–Ottoman war, also called the Tripartite Aggression in the Persian world and the Second Iranian War in the Ottoman empire, was an invasion of Iran in late 1956 by the Ottoman empire, followed by the United States of Greater Austria and Japan. The aims were to take control of Iran for the Axis/Central Powers and to remove Iranian king Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, who was strongly pro-West.

It was obvious that Iran could not fall to Central Powers hands, but what could be done? Should NATO declare war against the Central Powers and risk another devastating 4th World War? Should it pressure them with sanctions? Or should it support the Iranians with weapons?

Vote Here:

What should NATO do?

Chapter 34: End of the Iranian crisis and the U-2 spy plane scandal
Chapter 34: End of the Iranian crisis and the U-2 spy plane scandal

When the Ottomans begun the invasion of Iran in 1956, they believed it would had been an easy affair, just like in their previous invasion in the 30's. It also helped the fact that they were aided both by Austria and Japan. But they were wrong, as this time, they faced a well determined foe, in the form of a Western Supported Iran. During the invasion, Iran received through the Dominion of India 180 M48A5, 400 M47 (170 updated locally with better engine and more space for ammunition), 180 M24 Chaffee, 70 M114 155 mm howitzers, 100 M8 Greyhound, 20 M115 howitzers, 28 C-130E/H, 10 Bonanza F33A, 39 Bonanza F33C, 22 Douglas C-47 Skytrains, 50 Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, 200 M40 recoilless rifles and 10.000 M1 carbines.

American advisors also begun pouring in Iran, alongside volunteers and other personnel. This, combined with the Axis hastly prepared invasion and the local terrain, prevented the Ottomans from crossing deeply into Iran. The Japanese also faced issues in their frontlines, making very little progress. Soon, the tripartite invasion forces realized that eliminating Iran was becoming too costly, and as such, after 6 weeks of fighting, the Japanese and Austrian forces withdrew from Iran. The Ottoman empire would continue to hold key passes in the region until March 1957.

The withdrew of Axis forces from Iran was considered one of the first major victories of the West over the Central Powers. As a result of the conflict, the United Nations created the UNEF Peacekeepers to police the Irani-Ottoman border, Austrian prime minister Julius Raab resigned and Canadian external affairs minister Lester Pearson won the Nobel Peace Prize.

800px-Tanks_Destroyed_Sinai.jpg

Damaged tank and vehicles, Iranian War, 1956

In spite of various conflicts, there were substantial hopes for reciprocation when an upswing in diplomacy took place in 1959, including a two-week visit by Kaiser Wilhelm III to the US, and plans for a two-power summit for May 1960.

But new problems quickly arose.

On May 1 1960, a United States U-2 spy plane was shot down by the German Flugabwehrraketengeschwader 1 (Air Defence Missile Wing 1) or (FlaRakG 1) while performing photographic aerial reconnaissance deep inside German territory. The single-seat aircraft, flown by pilot Francis Gary Powers, had taken off from Malmö, Sweden and crashed near Darmstadt after being hit by a Taifun surface-to-air missile. Powers parachuted safely and was captured.

Initially, the US authorities acknowledged the incident as the loss of a civilian weather research aircraft operated by NASA, but were forced to admit the mission's true purpose when a few days later the German government produced the captured pilot and parts of the U-2's surveillance equipment, including photographs of German military bases taken during the mission.

The incident occurred during the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower and the reign of Kaiser Wilhelm III, around two weeks before the scheduled opening of an east–west summit in Berlin. Kaiser Wilhelm and Eisenhower had met face-to-face at Camp David in Maryland in September 1959, and the seeming thaw in U.S.-German relations had led people around the world to hope for a peaceful resolution to the ongoing Cold War.

Knowing that the Americans were spying on German territory, the Axis prepared for the next course of action. Should they launch a pre-emptive attack against NATO now that they have the upper hand? Or should they instead simply close relations with the West? Or perhaps let this incident go would be a better solution?

Vote Here:

What should the Axis/Central Powers do?

Chapter 35: The Axis/Central Powers close off relations,the Greek Revolution of 1960
Chapter 35: The Axis/Central Powers close off relations,the Greek Revolution of 1960

As a result of the spy plane incident and the attempted cover-up, the Four Power Berlin Summit was not completed. At the beginning of the talks on 16 May, there was still hope that the two sides could come together even after the events that took place earlier in May, but Eisenhower refused to apologize and Kaiser Wilhelm left the summit one day after it had begun. Even though Eisenhower refused to apologize, he did admit that the flights were "suspended and would not resume". Some public opinion was that Wilhelm had overreacted to the event in an attempt to strengthen his own position, and for that, he was the one to blame for the collapse of the Four Power Paris Summit.

Before the U-2 incident Wilhelm and Eisenhower had been getting along well and the summit was going to be an opportunity for the two sides to come together. Also, Eisenhower had been looking forward to a visit to the German empire and was very upset when his invitation was retracted. The two sides were going to discuss topics such as nuclear arms reduction and also how to deal with increasing tensions surrounding the Pacific. According to Eisenhower, had it not been for the U-2 incident, the summit and his visit to the German empire could have greatly helped German and American relations.

The German empire convened a meeting of the United Nations Security Council on 23 May to tell their side of the story. The meetings continued for four days with other allegations of spying being exchanged, as well as recriminations over the Berlin Summit, and a US offer of an "open skies" proposal to allow reciprocal flights over one another's territory, at the end of which the German empire overwhelmingly lost a vote on a concise resolution which would have condemned the incursions and requested the US to prevent their recurrence.

While Mussolini's death in 1956 slightly relaxed tensions, the situation in the world remained an uneasy armed truce. The Greek Revolution of 1960 occurred shortly after Balbo arranged the removal of Greece's Mussolinian leader Ioannis Rallis. In response to a popular uprising, the new regime formally disbanded the secret police, declared its intention to withdraw from the Axis/Central Powers and pledged to re-establish free elections.

If Greece was left free, it could join NATO and grant the latter a hold to Europe once more. But a military action against Greece might also have negative effects. Nationalist parties all over the world would have an harder time convincing their people that Nationalism was the way to go.

And if Greece was to be invaded, should the West do something and risk war?

Vote Here

What should Italy do?

What should NATO do if Greece is invaded?