OTL Election maps resources thread

You were of course allowed to cross out the names of any members you didn't approve of.

Obviously if you approve of any one member then you approve of the whole list.

And obviously it's entirely up to the people running the election whether you've properly crossed out any names.

And obviously this marks you out as a dangerous subversive.
And obviously, if you were to not want to alter the list, then all you had to do was pick up the ballot, fold it in half and drop it in the box, no privacy needed, so anyone who went into the booth could be marked out.

Pre WW2 they were more of a party than anyone to their right, weren't they?

Pre-WWII yes, and to some degree during the 4th Republic they were more united (if only by the common label and their worship of Herriot) than the ridiculous mixture of 'paysans', 'indépéndants' and 'modérés' and former PRL members than made up the classical right. But still, by 1950 or so, the radicals were happily cooperating with these groupings, especially as the party's right-wing, the 'néo-radicaux' (who did not even care much about *the* Radical issue, laïcité) was pretty much identical to more moderate classical right deputies (VGE ehem).

But keep in mind that the only real parties (in the sense of having an apparatus) that France developed were the PCF, SFIO and the MRP. Literally parties with 15 members and two leaders (Pleven and Mitterrand) like the UDSR were little more then electoral labels for individuals and their followers.

If the topic interests you, there's a nice book on this 'Bourgeois Politics in France, 1945-1951'

Thande

Donor
This one stemmed from a discussion earlier today with @AndyC and @iainbhx about some polling data for the London local elections and what it said about current trends among Labour and the Conservatives' shifting appeal, with the data split both by ethnicity (white vs all BAME/other) and social class (ABC1 / C2DE).

I realised we don't actually have a map for ethnicity by Westminster constituency analogous to the ones @Reagent has done for America, so I looked around and found that the 2011 census data by constituency is available - which is good - in a really stupid format not an easily editable spreadsheet - which is bad. I haven't yet found the class data by constituency, but if it exists I will map that as well.

Note that as this is census data, it reflects the whole population not just the electorate (and, of course, is now 7 years out of date...)

Ethnicity by constituency.png

Do you see what the issue with your request is?
Yes, I'm fully aware that the WorldA can't capture every single county, but a solid red county/blue county map- as in, the counties don't all have to be outlined, just the borders for the red clusters and blue clusters- should be possible.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the WorldA can't capture every single county, but a solid red county/blue county map- as in, the counties don't all have to be outlined, just the borders for the red clusters and blue clusters- should be possible.

Not when you take into account stuff like Virginia's Independent Cities or Georgia's multitude of counties.

From a quick comparison with the latest election map, it looks like Harrow East is the only majority-BAME seat not held by Labour. Is there anything special about the seat that explains that result?
It's Harrow.

Also, the MP is named Blackman, though with a name like that he's obviously white.

Oh yeah, after about ten more seconds of reading the answer became obvious.

NB I've spent about six hours in London in total and most of that inebriated so my mental map is not up to task
I think Harrow is actually less Tory than its reputation would let on - it's the sort of North London suburb that would've voted for Blair by a decent margin, but otherwise have been fairly solidly blue.

From a quick comparison with the latest election map, it looks like Harrow East is the only majority-BAME seat not held by Labour. Is there anything special about the seat that explains that result?

Other than its general Harrow-ness, the largest ethnic group is Indians (most often Hindu Gujaratis) who are more likely than other BAME groups to vote Conservative.