Options for Haiti after 1800

As for leadership, you need Rigaud and his buddies to take power and establish a functional government and avoid coups and revolts

The economy meanwhile instead of Sugar which is technically a very labour intensive crop, why not replace it with cotton, coffee, indigo, and tobacco. Avoid land reform and establish a sharecropping/Hacienda system on Haiti to replace the slave labour system. Some government intervention like placing quotas on cash crops might work.
- Cotton was labor intensive and borderline unprofitable until it gets revived by the cotton gin (which takes hindsight to predict).

- If I'm not mistaken, Indigo was illegal in France due to it being a direct competitor with France's woad dye industry.

- The plantations are located near the tropical coasts, and coffee is actually a dry highland crop, not a tropical lowland crop.

- Tobacco does seem like a option, but I question how profitable it really is, at least in comparison to sugar.

I agree with sharecropping. Definitely a decent idea.

Crazy Boris

Banned
So, after 1800, what needs to change for France to accept his autonomous rule, and is it acceptable to either side to grant him control of only the western half of the island?
it was accepted at first, he was the recognized governor of the colony from 1797 to 1801, problem is, Napoleon didn't like him because of that autonomy, he wanted to establish his own constitution for the colony instead of using Louverture's, so that's why Leclerc was sent in to get rid of him. To stop the Leclerc expedition, someone's gonna have to yield to the other, either Napoleon is gonna have to accept the 1801 constitution or Toussaint's gonna have to wait on Napoleon's approval and feedback before enacting it.

Cotton was labor intensive and borderline unprofitable until it gets revived by the cotton gin (which takes hindsight to predict).
Cotton gin was already there and Haiti produced huge quantities of it pre revolution, with the cotton gin and if successful it would probably be the biggest export of Haiti. Due to high demand it would probably take off if there is some kind of competent leadership on place
- The plantations are located near the tropical coasts, and coffee is actually a dry highland crop, not a tropical lowland crop.
They were a major producer of coffee, during the Colonial era and OTL it became the biggest export that replaced sugar
- If I'm not mistaken, Indigo was illegal in France due to it being a direct competitor with France's woad dye industry.
Haiti Produced 1,000,000 pounds of Indigo during the colonial times,

Maybe have Haiti join or partner with a Gran Colombia that stays united? Santo Domingo briefly wanted to join Gran Colombia during 1823, precisely because they wanted to stop future Haitian incursions. But maybe Santo Domingo joins GC, Haiti still attacks and Gran Colombia annexes the whole island. An occupation may be difficult to mantain, but perhaps not impossible and if GC remains in control for a decade or two, infrastructure and institutions can be built before they leave, let's say, by the 1850s, also strenghtening Haiti through trade.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Maybe have Haiti join or partner with a Gran Colombia that stays united? Santo Domingo briefly wanted to join Gran Colombia during 1823, precisely because they wanted to stop future Haitian incursions. But maybe Santo Domingo joins GC, Haiti still attacks and Gran Colombia annexes the whole island. An occupation may be difficult to mantain, but perhaps not impossible and if GC remains in control for a decade or two, infrastructure and institutions can be built before they leave, let's say, by the 1850s, also strenghtening Haiti through trade.
I don’t think it would be worth it for Gran Colombia. The Haitians won’t be willing to give up their hard-won independence easy, and are going to revolt against the Colombians right away, Bogotá will come to the conclusion trying to hold on to this rebellious island that’s fairly far away by early 1800s standards is more trouble than its worth and leave. You just get a slightly delayed unified Hispaniola period and a rivalry between Haiti and Colombia.

They were a major producer of coffee, during the Colonial era and OTL it became the biggest export that replaced sugar
60% of ALL coffee consumed in Europe and America was grown in Saint Domingue during Colonial times to be clear. So yeah, major producer is a bit of an understatement.

Outdated. The ban was relaxed well before the revolution because of cloth manufacturers.

- Tobacco does seem like a option, but I question how profitable it really is, at least in comparison to sugar.
Tobacco is a terrible idea. The American tobacco plantations were supported by liberal British credit due to the nature of the venture, and a collapse in prices had still seen many of those plantations either go under or, in the case of say Washington, get saddled with massive debts not long before.

Cotton gin was already there and Haiti produced huge quantities of it pre revolution, with the cotton gin and if successful it would probably be the biggest export of Haiti. Due to high demand it would probably take off if there is some kind of competent leadership on place
Haitian revolution started in 1791. Eli Whitney invented the short staple cotton gin in 1793.

I don’t think it would be worth it for Gran Colombia. The Haitians won’t be willing to give up their hard-won independence easy, and are going to revolt against the Colombians right away, Bogotá will come to the conclusion trying to hold on to this rebellious island that’s fairly far away by early 1800s standards is more trouble than its worth and leave. You just get a slightly delayed unified Hispaniola period and a rivalry between Haiti and Colombia.
What about the peaceful option of joining a federal Gran Colombia? GC would need a decisive federalist victory on its internal politics and constitutional discussions, while Haiti actually helped Bolivar during the early independence wars of Nueva Granada. Maybe some accomodation can be made in lieu of this shared history, provided something compells Haiti to join, perhaps a new French threat.

Even if GC still breaks afterwards, Haiti would again enjoy Gran Colombian institutions and have access to the world market for many years, since no major embargos affected Colombia at the time, save for Spain. OTOH it would be very interesting to see Haitian soldiers fight against Peru for example, or any other conflicts that butterflies may cause.

Last edited:
IIRC Henri Christophe during his reign as “king of Haiti” enforced a system of corvee labor in order to keep the plantations running. It was economically profitable, but politically it did not end well for him.
I think Haiti is sadly in a bit of a bind in this period. No way to restore economic production without some forced labor, no way to to restore forced labor without getting overthrown.

IIRC Henri Christophe during his reign as “king of Haiti” enforced a system of corvee labor in order to keep the plantations running. It was economically profitable, but politically it did not end well for him.
I think Haiti is sadly in a bit of a bind in this period. No way to restore economic production without some forced labor, no way to to restore forced labor without getting overthrown.
I Think the main problem with him is his embrace of Dictatorial rule which became very tyranical and Authoritarian resulted into his demise, as it is the military who is the one that controls the plantation economy in his Kingdom and forces the people to work, called Agrarian Carporalism, which alienated the people under his rule. Meanwhile Petion was in the south redestributing land which resulted into the exports crashing down making people go subsistence farmers. Have Petion be replaced sooner before his land reform, and be replaced with Boyer which had the support of the elites, its likely that he also go for land reform but not as disasterous and on a smaller scale, maybe to soldiers to cut costs of the army and supporters, and place cash crop minimum production quotas that is steadily increased by the government forcing the people to plant more cash crops alongside their food. Which would definitely not alienate the people as much as Christophe did

I think seeing Haiti becoming a Spanish protectorate is a possibility. The situation would be somewhat akin to the Seminoles in Spanish Florida-an autonomous people consisting mostly of ex-slaves under the nominal suzerainty of the Spanish monarchy, united against a common foe.

The Haitians get assurances that they won't be invaded from the east (a very real fear post-independence), access to trade with the Spanish Empire, and an ally in Europe. The Spanish get some degree of security on Hispaniola, and possibly access to a veteran mercenary army which is immune to yellow fever and willing to work for relatively low wages-an asset they'll definitely need as independence fever grips the region.

How well this shakes out in the long term for Haiti is up to you. The best case scenario IMO is Haiti gains stable succession for leaders via the Spanish government averting civil wars by putting their backing behind claimants to the Haitian 'governorship', leading to peace and stability, and that it gets some extra territory post-independence-specifically the gold-mining regions of the Dominican Republic.
How/why would Spanish protection happen? Is it a matter of Napoleon allowing the Spanish control of the island if they restore order, or a development post-Bayonne?
I doubt his successors can, knowing that Dessalines was his right hand man. I also doubt his loyalty , I assume that once he sees he can declare independence he will, and most likely Haiti would be under a military dictatorship like what he wanted.

I instead prompt up for Rigaud who is more pragmatic and moderate than him, knowing that his base of support are the future elites and ruling class of the islands, and had a more moderate and conservative base of support. I think a Rigaud/Boyer Duo would go fit, as they would be defnitely supporting the elites and the planter class to rebuild the plantation economy, and I heard that Rigaud wanted a Republic, I believe it would be a republic governed by a well educated elite, which I believe would be an improvement compared to the dictatorship that Louverture wanted.

I avoided Petion as he is the one who destroyed the South Haitian economy during the divide

As for leadership, you need Rigaud and his buddies to take power and establish a functional government and avoid coups and revolts

The economy meanwhile instead of Sugar which is technically a very labour intensive crop, why not replace it with cotton, coffee, indigo, and tobacco. Avoid land reform and establish a sharecropping/Hacienda system on Haiti to replace the slave labour system. Some government intervention like placing quotas on cash crops might work.
What about Paris trying to impose a local triumvirate modelled on the French Consulate with Rigaud, Boyer, and someone else?
it was accepted at first, he was the recognized governor of the colony from 1797 to 1801, problem is, Napoleon didn't like him because of that autonomy, he wanted to establish his own constitution for the colony instead of using Louverture's, so that's why Leclerc was sent in to get rid of him. To stop the Leclerc expedition, someone's gonna have to yield to the other, either Napoleon is gonna have to accept the 1801 constitution or Toussaint's gonna have to wait on Napoleon's approval and feedback before enacting it.
A tall order given the egos involved. Is it sustainable for the French to run the two halves of "Saint-Dominigue" distinctly from one another?

Good point. But France was essential and no one else was demanding a ransom be paid.
By the time Charles X sent the warships to Haïti (1825), it had already gone through two decades of isolation and its economy was ruined. France could make this demand because the Haitians were in a desperate position. If they had other trading partners they would not have been forced to accept.

And when the slaves revolted they destroyed the machinery. All of it. Just getting the infrastructure back in place would have been hideously expensive.
Not entirely. Under Toussaint Louverture, Saint-Domingue still maintained a fair amount of sugar production. Toussaint used his army to force workers back to the plantations, where they were paid, but otherwise worked under harsh conditions. Dessalines tried to do likewise, but following the declaration of Haitian independence, the colonial powers cut off trade. That's when the sugar economy really collapsed.

What about Paris trying to impose a local triumvirate modelled on the French Consulate with Rigaud, Boyer, and someone else?
Plausible, I'm hoping if Vincent Oge had not rebelled or survived, I am hoping for a Triumvirate of Vincent Oge, Andre Rigaud, and Julien Raymond

Ill lay out a scenario I posited in another thread on a similar topic:

Dessalines is killed in one of the closing battles of the Haitian War of Independence against the forces of Rochambeau.

Henri Christophe takes over and prosecutes the final battles, becoming the architect of independence. Cristophe IMO is the most stable option, as he kept Haiti profitable and militarily secure, even if it was at the expense of Republican virtues. In the following scenario I think I lay out a scenario where Haiti can become stable under Cristophe’s Kingdom and a functioning Republic after.

He assumes control of the new nation, and soon starts to implement his royalist vision, but over the entirety of Haiti. He also avoids the excesses of Dessalines’ regime, prioritizing feudalism, titles to maintain profits and a strong military while avoiding pointless things like the 1804 massacre realizing the bad publicity it would cause. However, his actions at creating a monarchy ignore the creole elite in the south who under Alexander Petion begin conspiring. A few years into his presidency, forces loyal to Alexander Petion attempt to assassinate him at his royal headquarters in Port-Au-Prince. They fail, but not without wounding and partially disabling Henri Christophe. Still, his palace guard comes to his aid and after rioting in the streets of Port-Au-Prince which is eventually quelled, and the conspirators arrested, Cristophe makes the decision to leave port-au-prince and the south and create a new capital in the north where he has the most support. He begins the process of building Cap-Henry into a shining capital with a great palace, while continuing to fund a large army to maintain control of the South with its many rebels. He is able to hold the south despite creoles attempting to form a republic due to him acceding and granting some creole collaborators royal titles in the south, as well as through the enormous profits his feudal administration creates. In 1820 he suffers a stroke, but due to his prior disability does not spiral into depression but clings on for 5 more years keeping Haiti steady in spite of rebellions until he passes in his sleep and his now 21 and better equipped to rule son takes over. Henri II rules from Cap-Henry for almost 20 years from 1825 until 1842, keeping his fathers regime stable while relaxing feudal practices somewhat. Diplomacy is entered with neighboring Spanish Haiti but no invasions are drawn up, with it likely joining Colombia, and providing a friendly continental neighbor which safeguards Haiti well into the future. In 1842, Cap-Henry is still struck by a massive earthquake which leaves the entire monarchy dead. Those republican elements which had been struggling against the monarchy now have no monarchy to struggle against, and a peaceful transition of power occurs. The lords of the island's aristocracy meet with the republicans, and an imperfect democracy is created, which maintains the lords rights while creating popularly elected councils and a presidency. The resulting constitution is not unlike the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1843_Constitution_of_Haiti but with much of the military elite having died at Cap-Henry, there is no general to seize power, and the parliamentary system established survives.

Jonathas Granville lives longer ITTL, assuming he was assassinated IOTl, and is elected president of the new republic, it having been an institution founded on his principles. This makes Haiti’s first president a true republican. He does not break his term limits and is succeeded by another stalwart republican. Since Granville is a mulatto, his vp will likely be black as will the president who succeeds him, alternating every few terms.

Interestingly, if Granville were inaugurated as president in 1842/43 , he would have been about the same age as George Washington when he was inaugurated, 57. The comparisons would be apt.

Last edited:
How/why would Spanish protection happen? Is it a matter of Napoleon allowing the Spanish control of the island if they restore order, or a development post-Bayonne?
According to Dubois' "Avengers of the New World", Haitian insurgents received material support from Spanish imperial authorities based in Santo Domingo, and ideologically adopted royalist rhetoric to encourage this support. Some had deep cultural ties to ideals of kingship as well (albeit with African rather than European roots) that translated superficially well to European monarchist rhetoric.
With the Napoleonic wars going as they did OTL, those ties may not have counted for much, but it does give a window into potential alternative paths for both the Haitian Revolution and the American Spanish Empire.

According to Dubois' "Avengers of the New World", Haitian insurgents received material support from Spanish imperial authorities based in Santo Domingo, and ideologically adopted royalist rhetoric to encourage this support. Some had deep cultural ties to ideals of kingship as well (albeit with African rather than European roots) that translated superficially well to European monarchist rhetoric.
With the Napoleonic wars going as they did OTL, those ties may not have counted for much, but it does give a window into potential alternative paths for both the Haitian Revolution and the American Spanish Empire.
So you think it's entirely possible for a local ruler to proclaim himself a monarch even if for some reason Napoleon never did so?

A local ruler in Haiti proclaiming himself monarch? That's OTL. The ATL of it is having a European monarch declare Haiti a protectorate.
I must not have worded this clearly. Haiti declared itself an empire historically only after France was declared an empire. Without the French precedent, would Haiti have done so?

I must not have worded this clearly. Haiti declared itself an empire historically only after France was declared an empire. Without the French precedent, would Haiti have done so?
Ah, sorry. No, I don't think they would, if they're not following France's lead. If nothing else, in the ATL scenario I proposed they wouldn't want to annoy their ally Spain by impugning on the authority of the Spanish emperor.