Opinion of the Mongols?

A few weeks back, on the political chat I made a thread about Bill Maher asking for everyone's personal opinion on the man. Needless to say I got some very spirited responses.

Now I ask you what your personal opinion is regarding the Mongols.

Saphroneth

Banned
Unfairly maligned, in that people tend to think they only did bad; devastatingly competent; incredibly ruthless.

Not any worse than the Romans, which isn't a stellar endorsement from my point of view but the internet tends to have a dementedly perverse obsession with that particular bunch of brutal conquerors so they should apply the same standard to the brutal conquerors from the other side of Eurasia.

Unfairly maligned, in that people tend to think they only did bad; devastatingly competent; incredibly ruthless.

In terms of ratio of global human population killed per year, the conquests of Genghis Khan went unmatched until WWII. It saddens me to think how, even if it's only centuries from now, it will be chic to say that the Nazis and Empire of Japan are "unfairly maligned".

In terms of ratio of global human population killed per year, the conquests of Genghis Khan went unmatched until WWII. It saddens me to think how, even if it's only centuries from now, it will be chic to say that the Nazis and Empire of Japan are "unfairly maligned".

I suspect Timur, in comparison to his lifetime and the areas he conquered was as devistating as any Mongol horde. As well for their time Assyria was perhaps more ruthless than the Mongol hordes.

guinazacity

Banned
Ruthless killers with a heavily romanticized image; or pretty much what the nazis will be portrayed as in a couple centuries from now.

A few weeks back, on the political chat I made a thread about Bill Maher asking for everyone's personal opinion on the man. Needless to say I got some very spirited responses.

Now I ask you what your personal opinion is regarding the Mongols.

An Empire that was largely a force for destruction, but I think they probably played an integral part in shaping Western dominance of the globe (transmission of Eastern knowledge, decimation of the Chinese and Muslim cultures) - and insofar as Western dominance is correlated with the dominance of a liberal world order, in the long-run the Mongols might have contributed a little to that (but then so would have every other butterfly-inducing event, I suppose).

In China there's a nationalist saying that says: "No China after the Song". So from a Chinese perspective, the discontinuity brought about by the Yuan conquest was an earth-shattering one indeed, and generally a 'turning point' where people posit the start of Chinese stagnation, insularity and imperial despotism.

A great and terrible empire.

I think this sums it up. The Mongols were fantastically effective rulers but also fantastically violent ones as well. They might have been moderate and tolerant of the people they controlled but their reputation for brutality was well deserved.

takerma

Banned
The most effective and successful military force ever to have been created when taken in relation to military technology available.

It is really sad that our understanding of many aspects of it is so limited in comparison to Romans for example

That isn't what I see or hear at all from history books. When my school as I recall had done our brief-look over, we barely touched over the horrors and genocide of the Mongol invasions, instead the focus is about the benefits of travel and the Silk Road from Europe to Asia. Yeah sure, the mongols did do good things, but was it worth killing scores of millions of people across Asia in an orgy of blood lust and conquest not truly seen since then?

As another poster commented, somebody will eventually be making the same comments about the Nazis and the Japanese, but given that they were both dismal failures in their hyper-militaristic stage, it should luckily be a but more muted.

Baghdad, 1258: The river ran black with the ink of books trashed at the site of the great library. The irrigation infrastructure was out of commission for seven hundred years. Without the destruction of Baghdad, I would bet that half the problems we hear about today would not be the same by a considerable margin.

That isn't what I see or hear at all from history books. When my school as I recall had done our brief-look over, we barely touched over the horrors and genocide of the Mongol invasions, instead the focus is about the benefits of travel and the Silk Road from Europe to Asia. Yeah sure, the mongols did do good things, but was it worth killing scores of millions of people across Asia in an orgy of blood lust and conquest not truly seen since then?

I saw a high school world history textbook (of moderately recent vintage) that had TWO paragraphs for the Black Death. The party line seems to be, Gee, that was sad, but, overall, Europe was better off afterwards. wtf.

Western Europe had some positive effects from the Black Death. In Eastern Europe and the Middle East it just strengthened serfdom.

In the context of the time I think they were not as bad as they appear in our eyes. Tolerant of cultural and religious differences, intolerant of resistance and insult. Great military force, able administrators.

but I may be wrong;)