Oh Doctor Beeching

I second the desire for Deltics. The knock-on effect of this 'creaking BR' (we've all read stories of surviving USSRs, GDRs and even Third Reichs that are coming apart at the seams - it takes a lot more to weave a compelling narrative around the same fate befalling British Rail!) on main line services is going to be interesting, in the Chinese sense. One wonders if InterCity is even in the lexicon.

Yes, we still have InterCity, I think I've made that clear. You will find out more in the next update.

To make the predictable 'what about teh area i'm from' point, I wonder about the fate of the Woodside and South Croydon Railway. It actually survived Beeching IOTL but only staggered on until 1983, and much of its role is now carried out by Tramlink. The state of the rail network suggests things like Tramlink could have gone one of two ways - either not remotely likely to happen, as there are a lot more little lines fulfilling the roles light rail has stepped in to fill, or actually the opposite - BR can't take the strain, so there's more than OTL [Simon screams forever]. I suspect the former is more likely. Our hero is apparently 'pottering around the railway network' so maybe he'll make it to London at some point. I suspect he'll have to at least pass through. (I was going to demand you save Euston, but the POD - unless you get creative - is ever so slightly too late.)

Without going too much into spoiler territory, because the Southern Region wasn't that badly affected by Beeching, we won't be visiting it much, similarly London had few closures. But there will be some mentions of what has happened in London. However, I am generally against the closure of heavy rail lines for use as trams. But given the likely state of some of them under an even more pushed for money BR, who knows.

Anyway, do crack on - this is excellent stuff, even for someone who can only claim to be a rank amateur gricer. I remain convinced that the various implied horror stories in our narrator's experience of the current rolling stock is all a build-up to an epilogue in which he expresses his approval of a comfortable, modern new design known as the 'Parry People Mover'...

Not on my railway, I'd rather bring back 14xx's and auto coaches.

This is an excellent read, Iain - I like the thought that's gone into this, especially the variant names for the unPacers and the CUBAMetro livery.

I note that there's apparently wires to Didcot ITTL (which seems an odd place to stop, unless they carry on to Oxford/were intended for freight), but none north of Liverpool & Manchester on the WCML. I can only imagine those services must be interesting in the most Chinese of senses; what's hauling them? Do we even get the Class 86 ITTL?

I wonder where your all-lines rover takes you next.

We have 86's and two classes called the 87 and the 88, but neither the 87 or the 88 are quite what you would expect. The OTL 88 was to be a electric version of the 58's.

Whilst main lines have not been electrified to the same extent, there is some electrification that hasn't been done OTL some of which will be revealed in the next two updates.

The next update is mainly about the Cornish Riviera Express, but coming up soon will be Verney Junction, Melton Constable and Mumby Road.

The withered arm from Okehampton to Padstow seems quite rundown. I expect that it has been mothballed in the past. The west Somerset sounds interesting, with steam trains running only to Wilton from the sound of things.

The service to Barnstaple is merely a twice a day schools service taking the children of Hatherleigh to Okehampton or Torrington using an antiquated 1950's railcar
In this case, I think they would be replaced with buses, unless there is goods on the line still. Maintaining track costs money, and a two times a day service would not warrant the investment when the track is worn out. The government would sooner pay for road improvements and a bus.

As for our next stop... Up to Exeter and then up to Salisbury via the Old LSWR line?

The withered arm from Okehampton to Padstow seems quite rundown. I expect that it has been mothballed in the past. The west Somerset sounds interesting, with steam trains running only to Wilton from the sound of things.

Okehampton to Wadebridge is minimal in the winter, it has been mothballed from Delabole to Wadebridge.

In this case, I think they would be replaced with buses, unless there is goods on the line still. Maintaining track costs money, and a two times a day service would not warrant the investment when the track is worn out. The government would sooner pay for road improvements and a bus.

There's still freight on the line from Meeth (as there was OTL into the 1980's) and Torrington-Barnstaple has a respectable service and the roads are, umm, not good.

As for our next stop... Up to Exeter and then up to Salisbury via the Old LSWR line?

We are going on a named Inter City train.

Tuesday 9th June 2015

It was not the earliest start, but it did have to be a prompt start, Newquay's ticket office opens at 10am, allowing 20 mins to get a supplemental ticket.

Back in 1988, British Rail abolished First Class in an way. It was removed from nearly all services overnight except on InterCity lines. First class tickets were abolished and instead the "First Class supplement" was introduced for the trains that it remained on. For a while, there were a lot of people enjoying the first class seats that had been declassified, but as refurbishment went on those were mainly withdrawn.

Since then, the withdrawal has continued, there has been no first class on Cross Country services since 1994, it was withdrawn from ScotRail inter city in 2005 when the class 164's came into use on the long distance routes. More and more standard InterCity services have dropped it outside of peak hours and there have been discussions that the new Mark IV coaches will only be built in Standard Class.

Western Region only have first class on a train when it has a restaurant car, which is designated first class, this has reduced first class a mere 8 services a day out of Paddington and rumour has it that there will only be 6 from next year. However, the restaurant car service has a very high reputation with food designed by Rock-based chef Nathan Outlaw. So as the train I am travelling on has a restaurant car, I buy a supplement from Plymouth to London Paddington, it costs around half the standard fare from Plymouth to London.

However, first it is a quick run down to Par in a class 117 unit and then a short wait for the "Cornish Riviera Express", which at this stage is a class 47 with 5 coaches for a fairly swift run calling at Bodmin Road and Liskeard before arriving into Plymouth with about 20 minutes before departure. The 47 is detached and within a few minutes three more coaches are added by a shunter, another Open Standard, a Restaurant Car/Buffet and an Open First. The trick is to sit in the Open First to dine avoid noise from the restaurant car, half the Open First is dedicated to dining. My supplement and reservation are quickly checked and I'm asked if I want first service on leaving Plymouth or second service on leaving Exeter St Davids. I choose first service.

In the old days, the Riviera was non-stop Plymouth to London, but at various times it has had stops at Newton Abbot, Exeter and Taunton. These days it is just Exeter and the schedule is less punishing than it was 10 years ago because of the age of the locomotives generally hauling it. It is generally scheduled in the summer for double-headed Westerns, but as the new dual-power Class 80 locomotives have started trickling into the UK which can operate trains along the whole WCML, a handful of class 50's have been transferred to the Western Region. We, however, get a pair of Westerns something that probably won't last more than another year.

The menu is very simple, three starters, three mains, three afters, I quickly choose the tomato starter, the plaice main course and the cheese. There have been rave reviews about this all over the place, but at £35 for lunch there needs to be. I choose cider to go with it.

Service starts fairly quickly as we move out of Plymouth, through the tidal valley of the Plym and the station at Plympton and then up Hemerdon Bank. The South Devon line is challenging and also very scenic, the odd abandoned station and plenty of abandoned branches, several of which were very controversial at the time. Only the Ashburton branch remains mothballed and there has never been a serious proposal to reopen it.

As we pull through Newton Abbot, the starter gives away to a very nice looking plate of plaice, but the timing could be better, there is the sea wall run to enjoy. Of course, one of the least controversial closures was the Teign Valley line, which had closed to all but the odd diversion well before Beeching and was completely closed by flooding in 1968. With the seawall breach, serious consideration was given to looking at the Teign Valley again to avoid the long drag on single track and poorly signalled lines through Okehampton and Tavistock.

The sea is benign today, no fountains of spray over the train and after Starcross I get on with the plaice which is delicious. We have a short call at Exeter and half a dozen people join us in the Open First, all for dining. A climb up the Exe Valley and then along to go through Taunton on the fast line and through the flying junction at Cogload onto the Langport and Castle Cary and through Castle Cary and around the avoiding lines for Frome and Westbury. We then come into the line of the Kennet and Avon canal and at Newbury, we have a signal check and see that this is the limit of the GW electric system as we wait for a class 361 Networker to get out of the way. Their diesel cousins the parts of the commuter services that are not under the wires.

There is some delay going through Reading which is currently being resignalled and has been the cause of delays for some months now and at this point I suspect at least working timetables have taken into account of it - all this is, of course, preparation for when the wires reach Swindon next year where similar work is being done. Of course, the main driver of this is not the effects it will have on InterCity, which has struggled to maintain its market. But on the growing London Outer Suburban market.

Indeed the journey is full of Networkers, both the electric and from the as yet unwired branches, the diesel versions. They are as fast as us and the electric ones can accelerate better which I understand has caused some interesting scheduling decisions.

We are a few minutes late into the extremely long Platform 1 at Paddington and I've missed my next train already, but that doesn't really matter as we are in London now and the next service runs every 20 minutes. Paddington is the gateway for Heathrow Airport, although for many years it was reliant on the Tube Line. Since Heathrow Terminal 5 opened in 2006, there has been two services from Paddington, the every 15 Minutes Heathrow Express and the every 20 minutes Heathrow Electric. The Express goes direct to Terminal 5 and then to Heathrow Central and finally to Terminal 4. The Electric makes stops en route, only calls at Terminal 5 and then goes on to Staines it is more of a workers service. Both are unusual in that the service is a 24 hour/365 days a year service.

The 4-coach unit for the Electric are third generation units with air conditioning, powered doors and facilities for the disabled, although they are less than ample on luggage space. The reason for taking this is really so I can avoid taking my small bag on the tube. Anyway with only three stops on the mainline and two stops on the branch before terminal 5, it isn't a slow journey and then it is direct to the dedicated bay platform at Staines.

As I'm a little later than I had hoped, I'm a little concerned about the next service to Aldershot being very full and instead of having 23 minutes to get it, I have 8 minutes. 8 is just enough and there are still a few seats left which is great. It's a quick half hour on a 8-coach modern unit to Aldershot and just before the hordes pour out of the Great Wen.

The purpose of this diversion is sat in the Bay Platform here, whilst two trains an hour run through on the electrified line to Alton, one train runs from Aldershot to Winchester direct along the Watercress line. As the Southern Region has increased its profit year on year and has virtually no mothball charges, it has extended its third rail to fill in the remaining diesel lines. The third rail has been extending along the Watercress Line since the start of Spring which will be one less habitat for the Class 210 "New Thumpers".

Whilst not as noisy as the old Thumpers, the noise of the DMU is quite a bit more than the modern third rail unit. The 3-coach unit is quite full, but has mainly emptied out by the time we reach Alton, a few more get off at the two request stops and then we halt at Alresford where most of the rest of the passengers get off and wait for the up service to pass us. When we leave for Winchester, there are only half a dozen people in the carriage and after passing under the M3 which crosses the line with a spectacularly ugly bridge we pull into Winchester on time.

Cool, you're now in my hometown.
Is the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton still open? And what about the sleepers?

Cool, you're now in my hometown.
Is the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton still open? And what about the sleepers?

The DN&S shut a little too early to be saved and the M3 would have finished off any mothballing.

Ah, Sleepers, well you'll have to wait and see.

Bloody hell, Westerns! I was going to ask if the diesel-hydraulics had suffered the same fate as OTL. Are the Hymeks still around?

Also, I went on a barge holiday on the Kennet & Avon about three years ago. Lovely part of the world, but a little disconcerting when you have the occasional IC125 zooming past about twenty yards from your boating idyll...

Nice touch on the Class 80s - dual power makes sense for TTL's network, but I bet they don't look as good as the original...

I'm torn about what's more outrageous in 2015;
- Double headed Westerns out of Plymouth
- A Rat on 5 Mark IIs from Shrewsbury to Chester
- The Withered Arm still open

Where's the wormhole to get from OTL to TTL :)

Devvy

Donor
Paddington is the gateway for Heathrow Airport, although for many years it was reliant on the Tube Line. Since Heathrow Terminal 5 opened in 2006, there has been two services from Paddington, the every 15 Minutes Heathrow Express and the every 20 minutes Heathrow Electric. The Express goes direct to Terminal 5 and then to Heathrow Central and finally to Terminal 4. The Electric makes stops en route, only calls at Terminal 5 and then goes on to Staines it is more of a workers service. Both are unusual in that the service is a 24 hour/365 days a year service.

Sounds like the West Drayton-Staines line is still open, with a branch from that (from the west side of Heathrow) through what sound like OTL located terminals?

As I'm a little later than I had hoped, I'm a little concerned about the next service to Aldershot being very full and instead of having 23 minutes to get it, I have 8 minutes. 8 is just enough and there are still a few seats left which is great. It's a quick half hour on a 8-coach modern unit to Aldershot and just before the hordes pour out of the Great Wen.

The purpose of this diversion is sat in the Bay Platform here, whilst two trains an hour run through on the electrified line to Alton, one train runs from Aldershot to Winchester direct along the Watercress line.

Nice to see the local on the map. But (please correct me if I've misread it!) it takes about 50 minutes even today with the fastish trains from Staines to Aldershot - 30 would be bloody difficult as Ascot-Ash Vale is slow as hell and single track in places (even on the rush hour direct services, avoiding the change at Ascot). Or is it running via Woking?

Also for nitpicking, Aldershot doesn't have a bay platform (in any direction any more, although I'd guess there might have been London-faced ones previously) - there are 3 "normal" platforms.

Nice read though, ditching first class is an interesting concept to mull over.

Bloody hell, Westerns! I was going to ask if the diesel-hydraulics had suffered the same fate as OTL. Are the Hymeks still around?

Also, I went on a barge holiday on the Kennet & Avon about three years ago. Lovely part of the world, but a little disconcerting when you have the occasional IC125 zooming past about twenty yards from your boating idyll...

Nice touch on the Class 80s - dual power makes sense for TTL's network, but I bet they don't look as good as the original...

No just the Westerns, I saw some of the last Westerns in service, but not many.

They look a bit like a Bombardier ALP-45DP

but in Rail Blue, unless Swindon get hold of them, then they'll turn up in Desert Sand.

Sounds like the West Drayton-Staines line is still open, with a branch from that (from the west side of Heathrow) through what sound like OTL located terminals?

Roughly, I was using the Staines Air Link plan which would have reopened the West Drayton Line, it probably got mothballed except for the freight bit like OTL.

Nice to see the local on the map. But (please correct me if I've misread it!) it takes about 50 minutes even today with the fastish trains from Staines to Aldershot - 30 would be bloody difficult as Ascot-Ash Vale is slow as hell and single track in places (even on the rush hour direct services, avoiding the change at Ascot). Or is it running via Woking?

It must be a new fast service for Heathrow, but it probably is via the Chertsey branch and Woking. I was working off an old Southern Region timetable, so things must have got slower.

Also for nitpicking, Aldershot doesn't have a bay platform (in any direction any more, although I'd guess there might have been London-faced ones previously) - there are 3 "normal" platforms.

Nice read though, ditching first class is an interesting concept to mull over.

Yes, you are right, it will have to have been loitering with intent the loop platform. Having found a 1960's signal plan it looks like it has always been 3 platforms.

Looking to our protagonist's northern journey with some nervousness. Everything between Liverpool and Leeds could be very messy if too much has been mothballed rather than cut, I have visions of Liverpool and Bradford still having their cavernous grand stations standing a la mode Détroit :eek:

Looking to our protagonist's northern journey with some nervousness. Everything between Liverpool and Leeds could be very messy if too much has been mothballed rather than cut, I have visions of Liverpool and Bradford still having their cavernous grand stations standing a la mode Détroit :eek:

Wait until we have a trip on the Great Central...

Yes: I'm intrigued to see what's happened to Liverpool Exchange in my native neck of the woods: Preston East Lancs too, for that matter. Perhaps our correspondent can take a trip on my own local line to see what's what. In the Leeds area, the Wetherby branch closed at the beginning of '64, so presumably before our PoD: but has it been reprieved, I wonder?

As for the rest of the TL: Westerns in 2015?! Good God. Have the other hydraulics staggered on, or are the 52s the only ones left? Speaking of class numbers, I presume TOPS has happened as IOTL here?

A bit of an obsessive from a rail-nerd ultra: are we still seeing trains displaying train-reporting headcode panels to signallers as was the case IOTL prior to 1976? Or are things sufficiently advanced to allow their abolition? I've always thought that working headcodes add a huge amount of character to locomotives and first-gen DMUs alike. I presume also we're in a world of BR blue with full yellow warning panels?

Broadly, the vibe I get is of a very "French" looking network. My relatives live in a village on a commuter line out of Paris, and travelling in I get a very "might have been" BR vibe from it: lots of boarded up old buildings, disused goods yards, and ancient rolling stock wobbling around.

Yes: I'm intrigued to see what's happened to Liverpool Exchange in my native neck of the woods: Preston East Lancs too, for that matter. Perhaps our correspondent can take a trip on my own local line to see what's what. In the Leeds area, the Wetherby branch closed at the beginning of '64, so presumably before our PoD: but has it been reprieved, I wonder?

The Wetherby branch always struck me as a very foolish closure. It would have been a Beeching closure, it is open (not the one via Church Fenton though). It is probably doing quite well as is a lot of West Yorkshire.

As for the rest of the TL: Westerns in 2015?! Good God. Have the other hydraulics staggered on, or are the 52s the only ones left? Speaking of class numbers, I presume TOPS has happened as IOTL here?

They are the last of the hydraulics. Essentially, everything has had to last a good deal longer, there was slightly more rail freight growth (although there was still the collapse in wagon load) and a lot of lines which had to be served by a Type 2 with 2 coaches until the 2nd Gen units came out. The Class 14's will have gone out pretty much on schedule, similarly you can't really delay the removal of the Baby Warships. The Hymeks and the Warships lasted a little longer than OTL, some of the Hymeks were still pottering around until the mid-80's due to slow cascade of units suitable for some lines.

However, the 50, 52 and, yes, 55 classes have benefited from electrification stunting and the complete absence of HST. All three have had some parted out and the 80's will transfer the remaining Hoovers to the Western Region where they will be replace the last Westerns.

A bit of an obsessive from a rail-nerd ultra: are we still seeing trains displaying train-reporting headcode panels to signallers as was the case IOTL prior to 1976? Or are things sufficiently advanced to allow their abolition? I've always thought that working headcodes add a huge amount of character to locomotives and first-gen DMUs alike. I presume also we're in a world of BR blue with full yellow warning panels?

Hmm, they probably lasted longer, but they have gone by now.

The PTE's and the Welsh and Scottish networks have their own liveries. London doesn't quite, although Southern region has shipped out its most recent units in Malachite Green.

Broadly, the vibe I get is of a very "French" looking network. My relatives live in a village on a commuter line out of Paris, and travelling in I get a very "might have been" BR vibe from it: lots of boarded up old buildings, disused goods yards, and ancient rolling stock wobbling around.

That's not a bad vibe, the small goods yards are starting to be put into non-rail use.

Of course, the French have been closing branches left right and centre over the last decade.

I'm more inclined to base it on what I saw in the former-DDR, Czechoslovakia and Hungary about 3-4 years after Die Wende.

Same. I just realised TTL britons will be looking to Amtrak or Trenitalia as progressive rail networks on the right track. Gott im Himmel, this is too dystopic for me to cope with.