Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

And in a way, Sarawak has become more than just any old kingdom, isn't it? To grow from a sleepy village at the edge of imperial Brunei to conquering almost a third of Borneo in two generations is a feat worthy of conquerers. And if I play the cards right, there might be more territory on the way because of who they're marrying, and in the most unexpected places as well.

The hints of 'there being other oceans' now makes me think we are talking about some islands in the Indian ocean. Obviously Sarawak should get the Andaman islands - let's add some more places with interesting native tribes for the kingdom. How would they get them via marriage though?

Emma-who?

This lady, from post #1034 and holy hell has it been 2 years! In a nutshell, Emma Eliza Coe was a part Samoan-American with royal blood (courtesy of her mother) who is also the largest landowner of German New Guinea with over 60,000 hectares to her name.

684277909_orig.jpg

By 1905, she's around 55 years old and is probably getting the pangs of age, but her kids would still be alive. She had a son in 1873 - about the same time as the Brooke third generation, but her baby daughter born in 1870 died very young and she never had anymore children. If her daughter survives ITTL or she has more of them (which could go either way; Emma remarried after her her husband died in 1873 but produced no progeny), then she might be really interested with the news coming out from Borneo. A match with the Brookes would entail her family linking up with a powerful royal house, add-on her fortune, and ensure her plantation empire from German speculators.

But it would also mean sending a message through troublesome Italian Papua and the Coral Sea, so her interests might not reach Kuching at all. And while Sarawak is now at peace, the New Guinea theater is heating up between her neighbors, so whatever her decisions could be partially influenced by the Great War coming home.

Which one? Brazillian branch of Braganza? House of Habsburg-Lorraine?

I have a half-baked idea stewing around for a Brooke relative or descendant getting hitched with a Habsburg branch, but that's a looooong way away in the future and I have considered trashing it out. In any case, the House of Habsburg-Lorraine is too busy dealing with the Great War to care for Sarawak's matters, though Franz Ferdinand has sent a cable to the Brookes saying more or less, "good luck!". He's probably the only person amongst them who'll accept the White Rajahs for who they are.

As for the Braganzas, I've sometimes wondered what Brazil's imperial family would say of Sarawak and Southeast Asia, had they survived. It's not like East Asia was unknown to them with Chinese and Japanese migration on the upswing around this time (the first Japanese immigrants would arrive in Brazil in 1908 IOTL, though that's now nixed), but they barely seem to care for the equatorial archipelagos down south. I doubt that Sarawak's search for spouses would reach Brazil in time, but if it does, I don't think the family - should they survive - would consider it; They posses American and European pools of eligible spouses much closer to home, and they're also... well, imperial. A marriage halfway around the world to an upstart family would seem less dignified for great Brazil, though I might see Pedro II being "eh, your choice." should he survive past 1891.

An oceanic family that that might gain them some territory....i'm thinking this has to do with the Spratlys, but at this point im just gonna have to wait and see.
The hints of 'there being other oceans' now makes me think we are talking about some islands in the Indian ocean. Obviously Sarawak should get the Andaman islands - let's add some more places with interesting native tribes for the kingdom. How would they get them via marriage though?

Dance, little puppets. Dance~ :biggrin:

Though them having the Andaman Islands is a really cool idea!

Last edited:
There were 5 groups of native people on the Andamans prior to colonialism. There are the one that you are thinking about, the Sentineli, but the Ongans, Jarawa and Grand Andamanese do not act like they do. The 5th group, the Jangil, all died of disease after contact was made.

Narrative interlude: Imams, oil, and whispers in Borneo...
Well, it’s just my luck that I am now hospitalized for a pneumothorax on my right lung. In fact, most of what’s written here was typed on my hospital bed. Needless to say, Of Rajahs and Hornbills will be somewhat slowed down for the next few weeks. Thanks for reading!

------------------------------

bajau-house-in-malaysia-andre-salvador - Copy.jpg

Limbang town, Sultanate of Brunei (Occupied), 19th January 1906
“We must ensure the light of Islam to shine upon the natives!”

Salahodin was going up to his rhythm, now. The timber surau was packed with worshippers, and he wanted his Thursday kuliah to be remembered by all. “My brothers and sisters, if we do not care for our Dayak neighbours, the time shall soon come where they will spurn our words and the sultan’s! We have seen how Sarawak exploits our forest peoples into choosing their rule instead of ours! Who’s to say they won’t do so again?

As such, before the White Rajah can do as such, we must make sure our Dayak neighbours shall stand beside us in unity, and true brotherhood can only come with faith!”

To his pleasure, the congregation murmured, and some even nodded their heads. Good. But one middle-aged man in the front piped up. “But what if they don’t want to be converted?”

“They shall. We will show them how life can be better if they accept Islam and when we all work together. We can learn from them, and they can learn from us.”

“But… why should they?” Another wizened man responded, his voice rising. “They have lived in their ways for generations, and they never needed our help for it. The Lun Bawang and Bisaya accepted our sultan as their ruler, and he in turn accepted that their lives are different from ours. [1] It is why they helped our Brunei in our time of need, and are at peace with Brunei when… at peace.”

“But that time is over!” Salahodin was fuming now. How do they still not see? How? “The Omputeh have cleaved the land apart because we are different! The only way to stand against them is to be united, and the most united we can be is by following the one true faith! Already I hear the sultan shall send word to Aceh for guidance. Their ustaz’s can help us a lot in this judgement.”

The man now rose up. “But the Lun Bawang has stood with Brunei for generations! To force them to accept Islam would repel them from us! Our relations are already strained, as they are! And why? Because the Orang Itali tried to force the Christian faith on them and they hated that! This is the time we should heal those wounds, not make them more painful!!”

With irritation, the preacher now heard murmurings of assent from the assembled, but nothing prepared him for one woman’s retort. “…Pak Kadil has a point. And brotherhood unity didn’t save your Sulu.”

Salahodin was enraged. As he stood to berate the speaker, for daring to insult his homeland, he barely noticed the breakdown that his sermon had become. [2]

Brunei Seria field-small.jpg

Seria oil fields, Sultanate of Brunei (Occupied), 20 February 1906

“I don’t think this is right.”

“Oh, what else can they do?” Albert Bennet retorted, his humour breaking through the morning air.

Beside him, Fritz Eckhart couldn’t help but furrow his brow. To take over the petroleum operations at Seria is one thing – that was all but written in the days following the Italian ouster at the capital. But to claim the fields and make them a part of the existing corporations at Miri, to propose them to be included in the Oil Policy enclave… that’s another. From their morning walk, he could see the iron derricks standing beside them like tall sentinels against the morning sky, a testament to the power that lies beneath their feet.

Especially now, with the War.

“Brunei won’t be happy with you, you know?” he countered. “They would want these fields to be overseen by them, and reap the rewards. I think, even if the court and their sultan allows us, the only way they would get off your back is to give them a piece of the profits.”

“Don’t worry. We will give them a cut, and the British and Sarawak will handle their complaints.”

“And you think that would pacify them?”

“No, but I do have confidence in their neighbours to sort it out-” Albert stopped at a peculiar sight. High overhead, two black shapes moved at a fast pace against the wispy sky. Though the distance is far, Fritz could spot two distinct forms silhouetted against the blue and white, flying to the farthest horizon, towards Bandar Brunei.

A brahminy kite and a rhinoceros hornbill.

“…Would you look at that... What do you think drove them out here this morning?” Albert chuckled, walking again down the earthen path.

Fritz stayed silent, contemplating whether he should tell his partner what those birds meant in local myths.

800px-Kelabit_Highlands_Banner.jpg

Somewhere in north-central Dutch Borneo…
“Are you alright?”

“The spirts still protect me. Yes.”

“What did you see?”

“Yes, yes. What did you see?”

“…Villagers. Women, children, men. They are trudging through the mountains, I saw them. I spoke to a few, and they spoke of being attacked.”

“By who?”

“It’s different to each group. One said their neighbours fought and made them flee. Another said a group of strange-faced men forced them so. Another said of escaping some group called the ‘Askari’.”

“…This must be the Dutchman’s doing! I hear they are forcing the people downriver to serve them and accept their terms of tribute! I even hear that these people are forcing their strange faith on the coasts and low forests! We cannot allow them to gambol any longer! This is surely their doing!”

“Peace with you! The villagers I talked are from the northeast, and I hear the Dutchman have no presence there! They are not the ones forcing these people to flee! Something else did.”

“Still, what do we do with all these new people? Are there enough in these mountains for everyone?”

“And above all, this means the outsiders are closing in.”

“So what do we do?”

“…”

“What do we do?”

“I think… there is only one thing we can do.”

“And what is it?”

“...”

Notes:

*For clarity' sake:

Surau
= Small prayer building common across Islamized villages in Southeast Asia. Smaller than a mosque, they are places of worship for villagers and are supported in a grassroots level.
Kuliah = Sermon or lecture. Traveling imams sometimes do this in exchange for food and shelter.
Omputeh = White Person.
Ustaz = religious teacher.

I don't think I need explaining what Orang Itali means.

1. The Lun Bawang and Bisaya are two indigenous groups that lived in close proximity to Brunei throughout its history, with their chiefs sometimes becoming ennobled into the Bruneian court for helping the state or defending it against invaders. Due to their closeness, some Lun Bawang and a fair number of Bisaya tribes have converted to Islam, but the majority of both (especially the Lun Bawang) remained somewhat animist during the 19th to early 20th centuries.

2. Salahodin’s journey from Sulu to Brunei (and his anger) is echoed somewhat from the end of post #1067.

3. In some Dayak folklores, a brahminy kite is a representation of the god of war.

Last edited:
Get well soon! Hope it's not too painful.

A brahminy kite and a rhinoceros hornbill.

“…Would you look at that... What do you think drove them out here this morning?” Albert chuckled, walking again down the earthen path.

Fritz stayed silent, contemplating whether he should tell his partner what those birds meant in local myths.

So, the god of war and, according to wikipedia, the king of the birds? This could be a cautiouslky good omen, Brunei going to benefit from the war in some way? Most likely I am misreading it.