Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

Probably the death of Emperor Yohannes in 1889 will start the italian expansion as OTL due to the confusion that will create in the Abyssian society/culture.
The big difference with OTL will be how the British will answer to the italian moves, as originally they see their presence as a counterweight to the French presence and as a help against the Mahdi revolt...so one must take in consideration also how Italy and France relationship is and how the situation in Egypt is evolving.

Rome will try to get more land possible, so to have enough strategic deep and developement possibility...plus some 'healthy' greed as colonies also mean prestige and the possibility to 'export' population. But i agree that with Italy attention on South east Asia, Abyssinia will be left more or less alone...totally is difficult to the nature of the place.
We will have a colony of the same size of OTL, maybe some piece of Tigray added but nothing more on the south. The big question is the Sudan border, if expanded till that, as it's Egyptian; OTL Kassala an important city that's on the middle of the only valuable land of the zone, was captured by the italian army and held for 3 years as it was a stagepoint for the Madhi troops incursion, if something of similar happen ITTL can create a point of tension with the British or the Ottoman.

One thing to take in consideration is here Italy will be more cocky, more aggressive and selfassured, from both his success and the need to 'avenge' some perceived offense like the agreement over Tunisia and the border landgrab by Batavia and Sarawak

I've been catching myself up with reading Ethiopian history since yesterday, and from skimming along it seems the state could have easily got a better or worse future if the circumstances align just so. Considering my POD begins in the 1840's but it's butterflies reaching Europe/Africa during the 60's/70's, there's a fair chance that Yohannes might either live longer ITTL or not take the throne at all during this time. I'm still juggling some POD's about the region for now.

But I did already laid down what's going on in Egypt: due to an averted accident, a different and more wily Khedive - Ahmad Rifaat Pasha - has taken up the state in 1863 and has decided not to advance further south than Khartoum, with places like Wad Madanī forming the border between Egypt and everything else. ITTL, Kassala will be rather more islolated from it's faraway overseers, which may draw Italy to annexing the town for strategic reasons and opening the door to Sudan.

From this, everything could go either way. With everything that has happened in North Africa and Europe, the British might be more alarmed by this and will try supporting either Ethiopia or - more likely - Egypt/the Ottomans to fight back.

Besides that, the Mahdi. With the butterflies fluttering about its likely that Muhammad Ahmad will not establish himself as he did OTL, but with the underlying forces still present (anger and distrust to Egyptians and Turks, doctrinal clashes, high taxes, etc.) it's beyond certain that an uprising of some sort shall happen in time. I can see the Egyptians being just as incompetant and Italy moving in to grab Kassala while everyone else is fighting. I can also see the British getting involved, albeit to a smaller extent due to Egypt/the Ottomans having greater levarage ITTL. The Ethiopians might also get involved as well, though there is a lesser chance of Gondar being burned to the ground this time.

Also, ITTL Ethiopia will most likely not get into conflict with Egypt inland, though the coastal port cities are another matter entirely. Despite everything, I still want to see if I can give the state a bone and grant it a seaport or two. :eek:

Also, ITTL Ethiopia will most likely not get into conflict with Egypt inland, though the coastal port cities are another matter entirely. Despite everything, I still want to see if I can give the state a bone and grant it a seaport or two. :eek:

Possible but that depend on how far had gone the european powers in their colonization/effort; plus the coastal zone have an islamic majority that will not see very well the presence of the Ethiopians.
Maybe the British decide to use Abyssinia as a counterweight for Italy/France/Egypt-Ottoman and so they prop up it, giving some privileged access at their port on British Somaliland or even support them in military conquer the place

Interlude: The royal court of Kuching
A while-you-wait mini update

RF3jCpe.jpg

Stephen Kalong Ningkan, The Astana: History Of a Residence (Kayangan Publishing: 1988)

…While much attention has been lavished on the Brooke dynasty and their ways of ruling the nation, much less has been poured upon the fellow men and women whom surrounded them and made up the royal court of the Kuching Astana. Though the first White Rajahs had always wielded absolute power (or at least until the 20th century) they were by no means alone in administering the nation, and it should be noted that Sarawak’s birth and expansion did not displace traditional Malay and Dayak authority right off the map. Instead, local rule and customary laws became mixed with British and original notions of kingship to further cement the Brooke family’s rule over the state, essentially creating another layer of authority that replaced the sultan of Brunei with themselves.

However, the workings and life of this local-run, foreign-born court are rarely – if ever – discussed in academic circles partly because of disinterest and partly because of its sheer novelty. Compared with the colourful courts of Europe and the Far East, the court of the Astana was almost bare-boned and skeletal in comparison, lacking the rose-tinted glamour, scheming and gossip of even the Bruneian Empire’s palace nobles. The fact that Charles Brooke created a set timeframe for meeting various nobles and chieftains throughout the day also lent the Astana court a sense of order that did much to break apart any mingling figures.

Nevertheless, a royal court did develop, and it would influence the Brooke family and even the kingdom of Sarawak as it progressed along the late 19th century…

But first, we need to talk about who made up the “high society” of Sarawak at the time and who gained primacy over whom within the Brooke court, and what was it made from:

1) First, there was the Supreme Council: an equal group made up of handpicked British officials and local Malay lords to advise the White Rajah on administrative matters, with the former focusing on diplomacy and outside trade whilst the later commenting on local rule and internal matters. The Datu Bandar – Town Leader – of Kuching and the Minister of War (always either a Dayak or a Malay) also made discourse at this level of the Brooke government.

2) Below them were the ex-nobles of Brunei: proud families with pedigrees stretching back to the glory days of the Bruneian Empire. Most of them retained their positions as the traditional heads of regional Malay communities that were scattered throughout the kingdom (though they now have to share power and consensus with the Brooke-installed European Resident) and often represented their regions in religious and cultural matters.

3) Somewhat overlapping with the ex-Bruneian lords were the incalculable Dayak chieftains and headmen that control most of the Sarawak interior. Representing their tribe on discussions with the government, they were an important part to keeping the peace and often travelled to the Astana in large entourages numbering up to several hundred warriors and family members, appealing for peace or requesting the Rajah to arbitrate on major disputes that cannot be handled by the regional Resident.

4) The Malay headmen, Chinese clan leaders, foreign businessmen and petty traders of Kuching and the major towns.

In many ways, the royal court of the Brookes bore a striking similarity to that of the Brunei Sultanate during the latter’s heyday, and it was just as diverse. However, the system of timed meetings and discussions installed by Rajah Charles often prevented the different sections of the ruling class to interact with one another for a prolonged period within the Astana walls. Despite this, there were several cases in which nobles, merchants and chieftains would find themselves facing one another, mostly during their wait to see the Rajah or bumping with one another to deliver urgent news.*

Still, it was not until the arrival of Margaret Brooke that the organized ‘Astana system’ truly began to change. Curious and inquisitive, the new Ranee of Sarawak was eager to know the country better and sent out dozens of messages to the inhabitants of the Kuching once she arrived from England. Most responded back and in the following weeks, the Malay ladies of the capital – often the wives and daughters of the local lords and merchants – would stream into the Astana either to pay their respects to Ranee Margaret or to teach her lessons on understanding her new country of Sarawak, which were varied and ever-changing. Before long, a small circle of local friends began to coalesce around her, and the Astana royal court was born.

Freed from the timetables and constraints imposed on the men, the presence of the women quickly became a fixture of the Astana and brought a decent measure of fresh air into the organized system of the day. Margaret and her local circle would spend their days being instructed on Malay and Dayak customs or to partake in food-and-drink gatherings, talking about the news of the day. It was also common for the group to converse with the line of notables, chieftains and merchants all waiting for their turn with the Rajah, with some encounters leading to unexpected results. In one case, a Seribas Iban chieftain and his entourage travelled to Kuching to discuss an arbitration deal and had to wait at the mansion’s residential quarter for their turn with Rajah Charles. Margaret, not wanting to be a bad host, decided to play the piano and ended up serenading the group past their waiting time and caused Charles' meeting to be postponed by an extra half an hour!

The mansion’s atmosphere was further brightened with the siring of the new generation. It wasn’t long before Maragret Brooke became pregnant and the birth of Lily de Windt in 1871 followed by the twins Clarke and Clayton Brooke in 1873 became the highlight of the Kuching townsfolk. Though the Brookes were Anglican, Margaret allowed her bevy of ladies to bless the newborns in the local faiths, whether it be in Islamic rites or Animist prayers. Gifts were bestowed on the couple and their progeny and several babysitters were quickly hired to take care of the children whenever Charles and Margaret became involved in touring missions, though a scuffle did broke out on whether the sitters should be English nannies or local Malay women (the Brookes chose the locals, but only after they agreed to a governess visiting the children once a week).

gYOL9N7.jpg

Stagshorn Fern, and the Young Ranee Muda of Sarawak, by Marianne North.

As the children grew up and as Sarawak moved along the decade, Margaret decided to be serious in her role as both Ranee and mother. In 1874, she hired a Sumatran-immigrated Ustaz (Islamic teacher) named Sawal to teach her, the children, and her entourage of women a better understanding of the Malay language, which was then written in the Jawi script. It is rumoured to this day that the local education received was the main reason for why Lily, Clarke and Clayton held such deep convictions for Sarawak even when sent to boarding school in England when they all turned nine. It was definitely certain that Sawal’s education was the catalyst for the making of Sarawak’s most seminal work of literature…

* Addendum: With all this bring said, there was one group amongst the peoples of Sarawak that could enter the Astana without permission or prior notice: the Sharifs and Shariffas. These were old mixed-race Muslim families, older than even those of the ex-Bruneian nobles, claiming descent not just to the glory of old Brunei, but to Malacca, India, and faraway Arabia. Ultimately, they claim to be the descendants of the Prophet Muhammad himself, usually through his daughter Fatimah. Whether their lineage is truly as illustrious as they claim is somewhat debatable, but they did wield outstanding influence over Sarawak Malay-Muslim society for the time which was added by most of them becoming either headmen or village Imams and Ustazs.

As a result, they are – aside from the Dayak chieftains and the occasional noble or emissary on an emergency run – the only group aside from the Kuching women that were allowed into the Astana without prior notice or time limit, and it was them who represented Malay and especially Islamic interests the most while meeting Charles and Margaret Brooke. However, it has to be said that Islam in Sarawak has blended much with traditional faiths since its arrival to the region, and thus the Sharifs and Shariffas may be partly responsible for the continued practice of syncretic folk Islam in Sarawak today…

Notes:

1) This update is an expansion of this scene set in 1874. I reckon that it would be weird not to talk about the Brooke household during this period and decided to flesh everything out.

2) The scene with the Seribas Iban and the piano is actually based IOTL.

3) The Sharifs and Shariffas were an actual section of Sarawak Malay society that became established during the heyday of Brunei. And yes, they really did claim descent from the Prophet Muhammad.

Last edited:
I've been reading this for the last few hours and, well.

I found the establishment of an Italian colony in Sabah with its capital at Sandakan quite amusing, and the fact that a lot of trouble in it has already been foreshadowed made it even more so. Watch out for Dayak pirates, colonial government! :p The fact that Emilio Salgari made James Brooke the villain of those novels, and portrayed him in a less than favourable light, only added to the irony... there's no way you didn't do this on purpose. :D

Fascinating. Is this literary work ITTL?

The next generation looks primed to see themselves as Sarawakian first and British second. Will Clarke and Clayton receive their martial education abroad or at home? Times are changing but there may still be the expectation that the Rajah's sons will be war leaders like their father and the late founder.

I've been reading this for the last few hours and, well.

I found the establishment of an Italian colony in Sabah with its capital at Sandakan quite amusing, and the fact that a lot of trouble in it has already been foreshadowed made it even more so. Watch out for Dayak pirates, colonial government! :p The fact that Emilio Salgari made James Brooke the villain of those novels, and portrayed him in a less than favourable light, only added to the irony... there's no way you didn't do this on purpose. :D

I figured someone would spot it sooner or later. :p Yes, I've been setting up the whole of Sabah to be one giant homage to Sandokan and I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long before anyone noticed it. Italy, the Dayaks, Sandakan... Emilio Salagari will have lots to write about Borneo ITTL.

Keep up the good work, sketchdoodle!:)

Thanks! Consider this mini-update an apology for being absent for a while as I get the main updates written down.

Fascinating. Is this literary work ITTL?

The next generation looks primed to see themselves as Sarawakian first and British second. Will Clarke and Clayton receive their martial education abroad or at home? Times are changing but there may still be the expectation that the Rajah's sons will be war leaders like their father and the late founder.

Well, yes and no. IOTL, Margaret Brooke did mention in her journals that one her Malay ladies wrote a story about Sarawak, but it was mentioned only in passing and no seminal Sarawakian literature has been uncovered dating back to the 1870's. ITTL, this will change.

As for the Brooke children, their early life and learning in Sarawak will most definitely be a factor for them having connections to the land, though it wouldn't be the only one. As for martial prowess, Sarawak as a nation is settling down after decades of pacification, but Rajah Charles will definitely see that his boys would receive some military or naval training ; you might never know when you'll need them. I could see the boys being sent to the far northeast to handle local affairs at best, once they have finished their schooling in England.

I figured someone would spot it sooner or later. :p Yes, I've been setting up the whole of Sabah to be one giant homage to Sandokan and I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long before anyone noticed it. Italy, the Dayaks, Sandakan... Emilio Salgari will have lots to write about Borneo ITTL.

Whatever he will write about it will surely be different, since he'll have access to a lot more information about Borneo than in OTL: he probably won't depict Brooke as a villain - the guy is as close to what idealistic, naive and starry eyed supporters of colonialism thought colonialism was supposed to be about as possible - but he won't be able to cast the colonial government of Sabah in a villainous light either; maybe the novels' main villain will speak Dutch instead, or they might be set somewhere in the pre-colonial past.

What if he actually went to Borneo? He studied at a naval academy after all and, even though he never completed his studies, he wanted to be a captain so much they eventually granted him a honorary degree after his death, if I remember correctly. Given his opposition to imperialism (hell, he was avidly read by and influenced Che Guevara), he'd probably end up fighting for the locals (or Sarawak), earning the nickname of Tiger of Malaysia in the process. :D

Whatever he will write about it will surely be different, since he'll have access to a lot more information about Borneo than in OTL: he probably won't depict Brooke as a villain - the guy is as close to what idealistic, naive and starry eyed supporters of colonialism thought colonialism was supposed to be about as possible - but he won't be able to cast the colonial government of Sabah in a villainous light either; maybe the novels' main villain will speak Dutch instead, or they might be set somewhere in the pre-colonial past.

Van Der Beck instead of Lord Guillock? Ghost of Adolfo Celi help us;)

So with the pacification done Sarawak is heading toward a period of peace eh? i suppose that makes sense. With the Italians set up in Sabah and Brunei there is no room for expansion now.

So a period to better order the interior ad build up infrastructure and make Sarawak the pride of Borneo eh? All to the good infrastructure lags behind the conquests and the interior still has unsurveyed stretches away from theRivers and major settlements I expect.

But 1904 changes things. And the early thread did say, the Kingdom of Sarawak and Sabah. It will be interesting to see this Sarawak and Rajah Charles deal with the last of the 19th and the early twentieth century.

EDIT: I notice you have well and truly butterflied the next generation of Brookes.

I figured someone would spot it sooner or later. :p Yes, I've been setting up the whole of Sabah to be one giant homage to Sandokan and I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long before anyone noticed it. Italy, the Dayaks, Sandakan... Emilio Salagari will have lots to write about Borneo ITTL.

I have not yet read all of your TL (many of the updates around the middle of the TL I have just skimmed:eek:, sorry), but I must say that the idea is original, and the execution very good!

And the homage to Salgari is obviously a very big plus for me. I am a fan of that unfortunate writer, as you might guess from my username. No chances of having some nicotine addicted portuguese adventurer team up with a Bornese pirate/prince and later marry into the family of some Indian princely state?:rolleyes:

Or he might set his serials in the Bruneian court, or in the Sulu Sultanate or the Spanish incursions into Mindanao. Maritime South East Asia is a vast place, and there is more information about the region coming from Italian sources ITTL. I’d doubt he wouldn’t try to put the Brookes in, though; they are one of the most recognizable families in Borneo both IOTL and ITTL, and the narrative opportunities are simply too great. I could see a setting with James Brooke and 1840’s – 1850’s Sarawak as that would give him the most leeway in writing things out.

What if he actually went to Borneo? He studied at a naval academy after all and, even though he never completed his studies, he wanted to be a captain so much they eventually granted him a honorary degree after his death, if I remember correctly. Given his opposition to imperialism (hell, he was avidly read by and influenced Che Guevara), he'd probably end up fighting for the locals (or Sarawak), earning the nickname of Tiger of Malaysia in the process. :D

Well, he was born in 1862 which is well past the POD and he could thus had a different life than his OTL counterpart. However, I can’t see him joining the naval academy and succeeding without the job affecting his fast-paced writing style to some degree. Then again, with his ITTL life he could just sail to the East Indies and Italian Papua by himself to see the sights and thus get influenced by the legends he heard. It’s a toss-up really. I’ll flip a coin and say that he did join the naval academy but decided to go off on his own after completing his studies.

As for the Che Guevara bit… I did not know that. (…and now I have a bizarre urge to write Spanish Congolese reading Sandokan…)

Van Der Beck instead of Lord Guillock? Ghost of Adolfo Celi help us;)

Who knows? Maybe he could rock the alternate villain roles. :)

Favorite line in this update :p
Maybe it’s because I had a long day and I’m tired as heck, but I wonder why was that the most favourite line in the update?
So with the pacification done Sarawak is heading toward a period of peace eh? i suppose that makes sense. With the Italians set up in Sabah and Brunei there is no room for expansion now.

So a period to better order the interior ad build up infrastructure and make Sarawak the pride of Borneo eh? All to the good infrastructure lags behind the conquests and the interior still has unsurveyed stretches away from theRivers and major settlements I expect.

But 1904 changes things. And the early thread did say, the Kingdom of Sarawak and Sabah. It will be interesting to see this Sarawak and Rajah Charles deal with the last of the 19th and the early twentieth century.

Well, ‘peaceful’ really depends on one’s perspective during this decade. A person who lives at the coast or in the lowlands would probably welcome the end of piracy and the endemic tribal warfare, while someone who lives in the deep interior would feel very much differently. The search for more raw resources during the 1880’s is going to exacerbate this divide, and this doesn’t include the potential spillover from Italian Sabah. All in all, it would still take a while before Sarawak could really call itself ‘pacified’.

Nevertheless, it is no question that the Brooke kingdom as a whole is more peaceful than, say, twenty years ago. Sarawak has also expanded as far as it could, so attention is going to shift into more internal matters than external ones eventually. Infrastructure development is one concern, but it has to overcome the Brooke family’s personal views about ‘native development’ first.

And about that early thread…. Well, we still have twenty years until 1904, and a lot can still happen until then.

EDIT: I notice you have well and truly butterflied the next generation of Brookes.

With a POD back in the 1840’s, it’s inevitable. Margaret Brooke had a miscarriage and lost her first two sons to cholera while on-board a travelling boat IOTL, so it’s easy to butterfly that.

I have not yet read all of your TL (many of the updates around the middle of the TL I have just skimmed:eek:, sorry), but I must say that the idea is original, and the execution very good!

And the homage to Salgari is obviously a very big plus for me. I am a fan of that unfortunate writer, as you might guess from my username. No chances of having some nicotine addicted portuguese adventurer team up with a Bornese pirate/prince and later marry into the family of some Indian princely state?:rolleyes:

If you’re talking about the many Sarawak posts I made during the 1870’s, then you’re excused. Anything else, then I won’t forgive you. :D

And actually… there was one account from Margaret Brooke’s journals of a Portuguese Malaccan whom served as an officer deep in the Rajang Basin. Maybe this TL’s Yanez de Gomera would come from another place…

Anyway, on to Sarawak and the 1880’s!

1880's: Socio-economic growth in Sarawak (part I)
Sarawak in the 1880's: part 1/?

gfZ2L8g.jpg

Philippe Correa, Foreign Rajahs on Foreign Soils: Sarawak before the Great War (Singapore Lion Press: 1991)

"I first studied Sarawak expecting a kingdom." Quoted the historian and TV personality Louis Mountbatten. "Instead, I found an empire."

Indeed, one could say that the kingdom of the White Rajahs is a unique yet familiar case in the history of empire-building. Though it had no emperor nor glory-seeking Shahanshah, it had a conquest-happy head of state who expanded said state through various means of diplomacy and war, as well as instituting a system of rule that leaned towards absolute power. Though it had a growing bureaucracy and a general assembly of notables to leaven the balance of power, the ruling Brooke family governed as near-absolute monarchs in their own right over their vast domain.

And it was truly vast.

With a combined land area of over 150,000 square kilometres, the Kingdom of Sarawak was larger than the British polities of England and Wales combined. In fact, Sarawak by the close of 1883 was larger than the land areas of Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Denmark, Belgium and Switzerland all put together. If the portions of the South China and Sulu seas belonging to the country were also included, then the kingdom would literally engulf the islands of Cyprus, Crete, Iceland, and the Ottoman vilayet of Bosnia. By the end of the 1880’s, the writ of Rajah Charles Brooke extended from the southern power centre of Kuching to the sleepy villages surrounding Kudat Bay, his reach stretching from the peaks of Kinabalu to the shores of the Natuna Islands.

Aside from vast domains, Sarawak also had another hallmark of an empire: multi-ethnicity. Aside from the obvious example that was the Brooke family (whom are actually part Anglo-Indian due to James Brooke being born and raised in Benares, India) the kingdom had over 50 different ethnic and tribal groups intermingling with the local Malay minority whom were also divided into innumerable villages, sub-groups and affiliations of their own, all weaved and held together by a multitude of aspects which included tribe, family, blood, culture, local society, and traditional laws. Besides that, decades of Brooke administration plus the circumstances of a turbulent region meant that many more immigrants were also streaming into the kingdom from afar: Teochew merchants, Hakka coolies, Bugis and Acehnese pepper planters, Tamil traders, Sikh fort guards, and even a few Persian travelling groups. In a land that was already full of diversity, Sarawak could be counted as a place where everything pooled.

All this intermingling also brought about another feature of empire: trade. The relative safety of Sarawak lent well to commercial business and the anti-headhunting expeditions had united most of the lowland peoples from endemic tribal wars. Contact between the Dayaks and the immigrants increased during this decade, opening new commercial doors that were unthinkable a few decades back. Porcelain from China became a status item amongst Dayak communities whilst timber and gutta–percha became valuable trade goods for the Chinese, East Indies, and European merchants. Spice plantations, artisanal crafts, and small-scale ore extraction also became profitable industries and by 1887 the Sarawak Gazette even began publishing bankruptcy notices on its inside pages to inform readers which businesses were up for grabs. Connections to foreign ports also intensified during this period and it quickly became the norm to see private vessels from Singapore and abroad jostling for space at Kuching harbour with Chinese junks, Malay sampans, and Cambodian vessels bearing the French flag.

However, as with all large empires the tropical kingdom also had its own fair share of problems. While the usual threats of rebellion and crime warranted a degree of attention, it was the outside world that vexed the Kuching administration the most. To the kingdom's northeast lay Italian Sabah, a colonial state meant to be a resource extractor but quickly found itself facing huge rebellions among the Dayak population, threatening the Brooke kingdom's own north-eastern frontiers. From beyond the sea came new businessmen and entrepreneurs, eager to discover the resources of Sarawak and exploit them for their home industries. Last of all was the beating heart of the British Empire that lay half a world away; for almost 40 years, the Colonial Office in London had seen Sarawak as nothing more than a strage offshoot of Britain’s reach, to be best left alone. Then came the Sulu Affair and Italy’s entrance to Borneo, forcing the Whitehall officials to restrain the Brooke monarchy lest they inflame too much trouble down in the East.

And with all of this, Sarawak thrived. It thrived as it had never thrived before, and its people – for better or worse – was shaping the land’s history, while also being shaped by it…

dk8FduQ.jpg

Chloe Pang, A Socio-Political History of Sarawak; 3rd Edition (Kayangan Publishing: 1999)

…If there was one group of people that could symbolize Sarawak’s growing connections with the outside world during the 1880’s, it would be the Peranakans. The opening of commercial opportunities coupled with growing relations between the ports of Kuching, Singapore and Batavia over the past decades brought a newfound change in the contemporary society of the kingdom, and nowhere was this more evident than in the advent of a new class of people that was recognizable partly by wealth, partly by ethnicity, and partly by political leanings.

The first Peranakan sub-group to take root in Sarawak were the Chinese Peranakans, also known in the region as the Baba-Nyonya. These were locally-born or regionally-born Chinese families, often of the trading class, whom have settled in the Brooke kingdom from its inception or during its first decades. Along with attaining wealth, these businessmen and entrepreneurs also possess a history of intermarriage with the locals (as child-bearing Chinese women were very uncommon during the era and the previous centuries) and had assimilated somewhat with the local culture while still retaining their Chinese roots. This synthesis of blood and culture created a new merchant class that was fundamentally different from the local Malays and Dayaks, as well as creating a cultural hallmark that differentiates them from the Chinese immigrants whom flooded the East Indies during the latter half of the 19th century.

Following the Baba-Nyonyas were the Chettiar and Jawi Peranakans: Indians, Persians, Afghans and Arabs whom have also followed the same path as their aforementioned Chinese counterparts. However, these part-assimilated families from India and the Middle East were more culturally fragmented with the ‘Chettiar’ term being primarily used to denote Hindu practitioners while ‘Jawi’ signifies those who follow Islam instead. Even then there were numerous splits among the latter as many of the Jawi families follow different strains and jurisprudences of Islam according to their families’ place of origin, setting them apart from the Shafi’i and syncretic-dominated Islam of the Sarawak Malays. Nevertheless, these Peranakan groups still hold a substantial influence over the region’s commerce and were quick to seize the opportunities of a new Sarawakian market.

And as these groups began settling down in Sarawak, they brought their own cultures, beliefs and ideals with them. The 1884 Mandor Expedition and the final conquest of the Lanfang Republic in Dutch Borneo also added more Peranakan families to reside in the kingdom, fleeing along commercial routes that had developed between Bornean merchants over the previous decades. As they established themselves in their new home, their business empires took root as well and connected themselves with the wider Peranakan communities across the seas in Malaya, Singapore, Sumatra and Java. Joint commercial enterprises were not out of the ordinary, as were intermarriages between families to keep their wealth and their companies among themselves.

Besides dealing with business, the Peranakans were also great patrons of various social and cultural works. In fact, nearly every major cultural product that originated within Sarawak during the late 19th and early 20th centuries were either produced, funded or invested by the community in some way or another. Many Jawi families endorsed the fledgling local theatre industry and many early Malay Opera companies were funded or saved from bankruptcy by their mixed-Indian or mixed-Persian patrons. The Baba-Nyonya themselves were lovers of theatre and invested substantially in traditional Teochew and Hakka operas, as well as writing the first modern Sarawakian novel and the first local secular schools. Later on, both the Chinese and Jawi Peranakans would be responsible for launching both the earliest Malay and Chinese newspapers in the Brooke kingdom.

But the thing that most united them all, no matter in race, ethnicity or faith, was political discussion. The upswing in global trade during the latter 19th country also brought new political ideas into the East Indies, and the Peranakan families were the earliest to absorb these new strains of thought…

yn3IiwX.png

Ibrahim Munsyi, Sarawak: A History of Culture (Kenyalang Press: 2005)

…In 1875, a Persian theatre company hosted a performance in the British Malayan port of Penang to great acclaim from both the ruling officers and the local people. Another performance followed, then another, and then another. Soon, word of the genre’s popularity spread across the East Indies and beyond, bringing numerous theatre companies and troupes into the region. At the same time, local troupes and performing companies also began popping up, it’s leaders inspired by the successes and style of the new medium of entertainment. In December 1879, the first play of its kind was hosted at Kuching by an Indian-Johorean travelling company, and thus the Bangsawan theatre arrived at Sarawak.

Today, the Bangsawan theatre – and its subsequent offshoots – evoke a strong notion among the nations of Southeast Asia whom look at it as their cultural inheritance, regardless of its foreign roots. In Sarawak, the genre has been credited for synthesizing the numerous peoples and cultures of the land together while unifying the kingdom on a local level through entertainment and mass-media. While the statement is not wholly untrue, it is important to highlight just how far the Bangsawan theatre – and Sarawakian theatre in general – has evolved across the decades, and how much influence local culture has brought upon the genre as a whole.

The introduction of theatre to Sarawak and the greater East Indies was nothing short of a revolution during the late 19th century. A more literate population, coupled with exposure to the outside world and a rising urban class created new demands for ideas, products, and forms of play. Prior to this, most traditional forms of dance and music were either reserved for religious ceremonies or important events and were thus out of the normal spectrum of “public entertainment”. Upon arrival, the introduction of theatre created a new and open space for locals to interact, work and have fun, making it revolutionary from their point of view. Theatre also brought disparate and different forms of local culture together such as music, literature, dance, and even martial arts, creating a new medium for all these parts to interact together.

And chief among all the theatre styles was the Bangsawan theatre, with its signature style of royal court drama, grand adventures, and retelling of various epics. In Sarawak, the arrival of the Bangsawan theatre somewhat mirrored that of the surrounding region: During the early to mid-1880s, theatre productions were conducted either in or around the capital city and were hosted almost exclusively by travelling companies or outside troupes. Performances were usually held outside near grassy fields or open places to maximise viewership and patrons (which added an edge of real-life drama during the monsoon season). Performances are rarely scripted and were often based on established Malay epics such as the Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa or the legendary exploits of Hang Tuah. An Orkes Melayu (Malay Orchestra), consisting of traditional drums with bronze and brass instruments, provide the music.

However, like elsewhere, the Sarawak Bangsawan theatre would began to take on the local culture of its new home, and all the more so once the local companies began establishing themselves. Slowly, the stories performed would change from the Malayan-based epics to ones about Borneo, the orchestra would accumulate more and more local and foreign instruments, and the watching crowd would include more than just Malay farmers and townsfolk…

JgDVsTN.png

A highly decorated copy of the Sarawak Annals, dated circa 1899.

…Another important cultural milestone during the 1880’s was the creation of the Sejarah Sarawak, or the Sarawak Annals. The Astana palace court was one of the very few places in which women could get educated beyond the norm for the decade, and it was done mainly through the guidance of Muhammad Sawal, an immigrated religious teacher from the Sumatran city of Palembang. Hired by Margaret Brooke to instruct herself, her children and her bevy of friends further knowledge of the Malay language, his teaching skills led to many of Margaret’s friends to send their own children to the Astana to be educated, leading to one of them – the young Siti Shahada – gaining knowledge of writing and composing stories.

After trawling through the family’s history and after corresponding with other figures of the Astana court (interspersed by an estimated five months of writing and re-writing) Siti Shahada created what was Sarawak’s own literary epic to be presented towards the Ranee on her birthday in 1885: the Sejarah Sarawak. Written in Jawi and in a style similar to the epics of Brunei, the Sarawak Annals tells of the decline and fall of the Bruneian Empire followed by the ascent of James Brooke and the Kingdom off Sarawak, culminating in the state triumphing over the rebellions of Rentap and Sharif Masahor.

To say that Ranee Margaret was delighted was an understatement, though it should be noted that the Sejarah Sarawak still contained a few irregularities in respect towards history such as the aggrandising of Rentap’s Rebellion and the absence of the Royal Navy’s involvement with the state. Nevertheless, it was considered by the Astana court as an achievement in its own right, especially considering the gender of its writer and the topic in question. Copies of Shahada’s work were quickly produced and it quickly became known amongst the literary community as an “abridged history of Sarawak”, though not everyone was happy at how the book portrayed the kingdom and it’s history…

Apart from historical palace literature, the decade also saw the beginning of Dayak literary transcription as numerous anthropologists began streaming into the nation, attracted by the lure of analysing exotic cultures and the increased attention of Sarawak on the academic and public map. The latter decades of the 19th century was the height of exploration and scientific racism with many theories being posited to explain the advancement of certain cultures and the supposed “primitiveness” of other peoples. The Kingdom of Sarawak, with its White Rajahs, unique government, and past history of headhunting, was an obvious destination.

cwh1OsC.jpg

Photograph of an anthropologist studying a highland Kenyah tribe, circa 1888.

However, one of the side effects of this anthropological attention was the increased study and documentation of Dayak culture and traditions. One way this was shown was the transcribing of oral Bidayuh, Iban, Melanau and other ethnic epics and poetry onto ink and paper. Many of Sarawak’s Dayak tribes possess an astounding oral culture in which, at this moment of writing, adds up to form around 35 major genres and over 212 sub-genres, each as different as the next. Some of the transcribed works from this period range from true epics – such as the Iban legend of Keling the Warrior-God and his wife Kumang – to more community-driven works such as the encapsulatory-longhouse poetry of the Bidayuhs.

Despite this, the transcription of indigenous oral literature was a process that would take decades to accomplish, and one that would consume multiple careers. Even to this day, transcription of oral culture remains an ongoing endeavour amongst the highland tribes living along the national border. Nevertheless, the first steps to understanding Dayak culture have been taken, and it was only a matter of time before the coastal theatre companies began looking for new inspirations…

Notes:

1) The Sarawak Gazette really did publish bankruptcy notices IOTL, along with weather reports, tides, and even monthly taxation accounts from the state’s various Divisions.

2) The Mandor Rebellion did happen as per OTL, finally ending the Lanfang Republic. However, the ITTL merchants of that region had built trade connections with their counterparts in Sarawak over a decade ago, leading to a part of the populace emigrating to the kingdom when the republic fell (though most would still head for Singapore).

3) If there is only thing most alt-history historians overlook, it is the role of theatre in colonial Southeast Asia. Prior to WWII, the region had a thriving theatre and opera industry that included some early entertainers, as well as laying the foundation for the iconic musicals and entertainers of the 1960’s-70’s.

4) IOTL, Margaret Brooke noted that one of her court ladies actually wrote an eulogy for the late Rajah James Brooke, but it was mentioned in passing and was never elaborated upon. ITTL, the addition of a learned teacher within the Astana might drive a learned person to write something greater, thus creating the Sejarah Serawak.

5) The Quranic-looking tome is actually of picture of a centuries-old Malay-Minangkabau manuscript.

Last edited:
Err... You got the name wrong. ;)

It's Keling Gerasi Nading. He was The Warrior-God. Kumang of Gelung was Goddess of Medicine(and hyperfast travel!), and his wife.

BTW, what happened to Balang @ Balai Nyabong? OTL he was Charles closest confidant until he was executed on baseless charges from his rivals. His innocence was only known after he was executed and in remorse, he willed that Balang's portrait be placed next to his. That's why at Brookes Memorial in Kuching there was a portrait of two warriors next to Charles's. One holding a spear and one brandishing a sword. The one with a sword was Balang. :)

Charles_Brooke_Memorial_-_Figure_2.jpg

This.

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
I really want to see Italian Sabah to survive past 1904 up to decolonization at the very least.