No Irish potatoe famine?? Effect on American Civil War

MrP

Banned
No, in English it's potato. Potatoe is a spelling mistake made by a former American Veep, Keith. Thy response was so disproportionately rude I reported it, but you've since apologised, so we'll see. Given what sarky bastards some of us can be, and how seemingly-mean-spirited others can be, you need to chill, if you're going off on one because Nappy performs the verbal equivalent of raising an eyebrow a la Mr Spock.

Not that he doesn't have a point, but there's like zero quotability in that post that is also sig material.

"Chill the flock out" could work. Though it'd be more ah.com if it were Flocc.

I suppose that would work if inside jokes was what WC4 was going for. I had assumed he wanted something different.

WyldCard4

Banned
I suppose that would work if inside jokes was what WC4 was going for. I had assumed he wanted something different.
I just thought it described what I like about this forum perfectly.

Does anyone know a way to fit that into my sig?

MrP

Banned
I just thought it described what I like about this forum perfectly.

Does anyone know a way to fit that into my sig?

It won't fit, old man. The only way to do it is this.

1. Quote the phrase.
2. Highlight and copy all the text.
3. Paste this into your sig.
4. Leave the initial [ QUOTE =name; assorted numbers] and final [/ quote] bits the same, delete all the text and insert a shorter message like "Smaug on the Tao of ah.com."

I think Susano has or had summat like that for a Grimm quotation.

MrP

Banned
Soitenly. Actually, isn't it Gaelic for 'bent old man' or something like that?

God knows! I don't speak these Godless furrin tongues! :mad:

Wait . . if God knows, how can it be Godless? My logic failed! I blame the Pope for this! :(
Disclaimer: Cromm Crúaich, not met ye before, so ye might not know that the above is all meant in good part, and not the rantings of one of those racist wankers who hate people they've never met for no good reason.

Ibn Warraq

Banned
Even without the potato famine I think you still would have had large numbers of Irish immigrants coming to America, just not in the same numbers.

However, I think the lack of a potato famine would have had a much more dramatic effect on Ireland. For starters, the people who died were the poorest the most "Celtic" from what I've heard. One Irish historian, I think it was Connor Cruise O'Brian but I could be wrong said that the famine nearly wiped out Gaelic as a spoken language.

I suspect that without the famine, Celtic culture would have been much stronger in Ireland than it was in OTL.

Oweno

Banned
The potatoe famine of 1845-52 resulted in the emmigration of some 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 Irish mainly to the Americas. Most of these Irish settled in the northern states where they soon made up a quarter of the population in Boston, Massachusetts; New York City; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Baltimore, Maryland.

Many of these Irish then fought in the American civil war for the union, my question is, With out this big influx of immigrants would the American Civil war have lasted longer, or would there be a small chance the south could have won??????????????

The Irish didnt immigrate just because of the Famine it was for Freedo from British opression

Okay im back after time chilling out after my brain explosion at NapoleanXIV.

In the US you spell it Potato in the UK and Australia we spell it Potatoe.

I will leave it at that.

And again i Apologise to NapoleanXIV for over-reacting quite badly

Coming to this thread as of late, sorry if this is considered a slow response :eek: But that anger was really uncalled for. I'm an Aussie myself, educated here my whole life and I've never used the spelling "potatoe". As someone said before, to my knowledge, it's potato for singular use and potatoes for plural use. I know a few of the modified spellings used in Aussie English such as Gaol instead Jail, Metre/Litre/Centre/Tonne instead of Miter/Liter/Center/Ton. But I have honestly never come across the spelling "Potatoe" and I've never been corrected for spelling it "Potato" This is a civil board (usually) and its quite out of line to lose your temper over something so trivial. (It's the type of behaviour that gets one kicked.:eek::eek::eek:)

More importantly, though, onto the actual question of the original post, to my knowledge, the Potato Famine was catastrophic for Irish demographics. So many people died or fled, that the population has not returned to pre-Famine numbers since. That is an unprecedented population change, IIRC, it has rarely or never (?) happened to any population of any diaspora, be it the Jews, Africans, Indians, Chinese etc.

I doubt a famine could have never occurred, the fungus/virus that attacked the potato crops was a nasty little bugger and the knowledge available for treating or eradicating such was scarce or non-existent. However if the virus had less of an effect of the crops and the general Irish population, perhaps as Ibn Warraq said, The Gaelic language and Celtic culture would be stronger. I would have thought the Famine also caused a devastating brain drain which took a toll on writers, scientists, artists, politicians etc. Perhaps with no Famine, Ireland would be a much more influential part of the world stage.

Without the Famine, the Irish diaspora would have also been much smaller, and this would have a huge cultural and demographic effects on nations such as the US and Australia.

If the Irish didn't hate the British before the Great Famine, they sure did after it.
Without it Irish Nationalism might have taken a very different direction.

MrP

Banned
If the Irish didn't hate the British before the Great Famine, they sure did after it.
Without it Irish Nationalism might have taken a very different direction.

The Irish are British. Ireland is a part of the British Isles. Hate "the English" I could cope with, but not "the British." Even from a Celtophiliac* pov that includes the Welsh and Scots, who're supposed to be blameless next to us. ;)

* TM Thande. :D

The Irish didnt immigrate just because of the Famine it was for Freedo from British opression

But facing the threat of complete starvation just might have pressured them more than apparent British oppresion. ;)

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
Actually you ignorant American shit, its potatoe and you stupid yanks just spell it wrong. What are you worried the workld is going to run out of E's. Fuck off and get a life you wanker

That's ridiculously offensive. It's good that you apologized, but I'm still kicking you for a week for that. During that time you'll be unable to post.

According to allaboutirish.com:
145,000 Irish fought on the Union side of the war and 40,000 fought on the Confederate side.

The Irishvolunteers web site list these battles as ones in which Irish Union troops were involved:
Siege of Yorktown
Battle of Fair Oaks
Seven Days Battle
Gaines' Mill
Savage Station
Peach Orchard
White Oak Swamp
Malvern Hill
Harrison's Landing
Antietem
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Bristoe Station
Mine Run
The Wilderness
Spotsylvania
Po River
Spotsylvania C. H.
North Anna River
Totopotomoy
Cold Harbor
Petersburg
Weldon Railroad
Deep Bottom
Strawberry Plain
Ream's Station
Hatcher's Run
Dabney's Mill
Watkins' House
Boydton Road
White Oak Road
Sutherland Station
Sailor's Creek
High Bridge
Farmdale
Appomattox C. H.

Whew! Surely their absence would make some sort a difference. It has been stated elsewhere on these boards that if the Union forces were slowed down a bit and could not get Atlanta before the election, then Lincoln would not win a second term and the war would have ended more favorably for the Confederates.

Also:
"It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word." ~Andrew Jackson

The Irish are British. Ireland is a part of the British Isles. Hate "the English" I could cope with, but not "the British." Even from a Celtophiliac* pov that includes the Welsh and Scots, who're supposed to be blameless next to us. ;)

* TM Thande. :D

(_8(|) "D'oh"