No Irish potatoe famine?? Effect on American Civil War

randomkeith

Banned
The potatoe famine of 1845-52 resulted in the emmigration of some 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 Irish mainly to the Americas. Most of these Irish settled in the northern states where they soon made up a quarter of the population in Boston, Massachusetts; New York City; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Baltimore, Maryland.

Many of these Irish then fought in the American civil war for the union, my question is, With out this big influx of immigrants would the American Civil war have lasted longer, or would there be a small chance the south could have won??????????????

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Who are you, Dan Quayle? It's potato.

There might not have been a CW. Without the Irish working for next to nothing then the other immigrants, who were more skilled, would have had to turn to the only other large source of stoop labor in the US, the slaves in the South. The practice of hiring out work crews to Northern industry would result in massive escapes and more calls for abolition but also allow the Southrons a method of getting rid of their fractious charges but also making a profit at the same time.

Who are you, Dan Quayle? It's potato.

quote]

Actually you ignorant American shit, its potatoe and you stupid yanks just spell it wrong. What are you worried the workld is going to run out of E's. Fuck off and get a life you wanker

well, that was uncalled for. Lighten up.

one more factor in the 'no Irish mass immigration' is that there wouldn't be so many of them in the mines in the west. The copper mine at Butte, MT, was staffed largely by Irish miners, and they played a big role in other mines, as well as such things as laying railroad tracks.

I've always found it ironic that, with all the anti-immigrant attitude in the US throughout much of our history, the Irish seemed to be particularly hated, and they were the one group who actually spoke English... :)

chill the flock out... This isn't a mean spirited forum. If you want to say something, say it. This site isn't about the dates and actions of history, so much as the undercurrent and factors that influence history. Not everything you read on here is meant to be mean-spirited. I'm not a history major, and I suppose there are others in my boat.

If you don't approve of a remark, assuming its not grossly racist, you should spend your time more wisely, educating said, mis-poster, rather than raising a bunch of Cain.

I'm also assuming that you're a new poster, and perhaps need to read for a bit and find that this isn't a flame board, but a friendly site, that has people with different opinions.

While the OP might not be an expert on the subject matter, you have no right to chastise him the way you have.

If this site is something you've wandered across, and thought to have some fun with it, you might be better served to go elsewhere.

JMO

potato potatoe

my spellchecker says the second one is wrong.

so there.

of course, it also says the word 'spellchecker' is wrong...

?Is it set for US or for British? Makes a big difference.

Fewer Irish means fewer Ex British Sergeants in the 'Army of the US', pre war. It takes the 'Army of the US' longer to get its act together.

67th Tigers

Banned
potato potatoe

so there.

of course, it also says the word 'spellchecker' is wrong...

The terminal e is a modifier for the plural. Potato or Potatoes, but never Potatoe.

However, this is primarily due the Victorian idea of there being such a thing as correct spellings....

randomkeith

Banned
Okay im back after time chilling out after my brain explosion at NapoleanXIV.

In the US you spell it Potato in the UK and Australia we spell it Potatoe.

I will leave it at that.

And again i Apologise to NapoleanXIV for over-reacting quite badly

Not according to my second edition of "Oxford Student's Dictionary of Current English" atleast... ;)

Its from 1988, but anyhow :D

Also not according to my cambridge university dictionary dated 1995 its still spelt Potato or Potatoes as the plural in the UK

Potato

Okay im back after time chilling out after my brain explosion at NapoleanXIV.

In the US you spell it Potato in the UK and Australia we spell it Potatoe.

I will leave it at that.

And again i Apologise to NapoleanXIV for over-reacting quite badly

I can't answer for Australia but (speaking as a Briton) in the UK its certainly called Potato as others have pointed out.
Maybe you can be so kind as to point out a source for your spelling to help us uneducated masses?

aHahahaha someone overreacted to being compared to James Danforth Quayle.

Anyway, to the OP, I am very certain the lack of Irish immigration will have no noticeable impact on the outcome of the Civil War. The Draft Riots might not happen; Tammany Hall's Democratic Party votes would certainly get affected. Not sure if Pat Cleburne would still move to the US after serving a time in the British Army.

WyldCard4

Banned
chill the flock out... This isn't a mean spirited forum. If you want to say something, say it. This site isn't about the dates and actions of history, so much as the undercurrent and factors that influence history. Not everything you read on here is meant to be mean-spirited. I'm not a history major, and I suppose there are others in my boat.

If you don't approve of a remark, assuming its not grossly racist, you should spend your time more wisely, educating said, mis-poster, rather than raising a bunch of Cain.

I'm also assuming that you're a new poster, and perhaps need to read for a bit and find that this isn't a flame board, but a friendly site, that has people with different opinions.

While the OP might not be an expert on the subject matter, you have no right to chastise him the way you have.

If this site is something you've wandered across, and thought to have some fun with it, you might be better served to go elsewhere.

JMO

I am going to sig part of this.

Not that he doesn't have a point, but there's like zero quotability in that post that is also sig material.

Actually you ignorant American shit, its potatoe and you stupid yanks just spell it wrong. What are you worried the workld is going to run out of E's. Fuck off and get a life you wanker

I myself am from Ireland, and here we spell it potato. I've never heard of spelling disputes between UK english and Irish english, so i assume we use the same spelling. Plural is potatoes, is this the source of your confusion?

If we dodged the famine somehow, the west of ireland would be much more populated and still lacking in jobs. we could see movement north and east, meaning a bigger dublin and larger catholic population in belfast and derry, which will complicate things somewhat if we are ever partitioned. There would probably be immigration still, but not on such a large scale.