Muslim Iceland

Any chacnes that Muslims are going to settle in Iceland before the Vikings?

The Norse of course are used to living in a climate similar to that of Iceland (albeit with warmer summers). Muslims used to live in very warm climate that was nothing like Iceland.

I doubt it. The best possibility is a Muslim Scandinavia or Muslim Norway. Which would be an interesting proposition. I can imagine the Abbasid state dispatching scholars to the far away north to see to the implementation of Islam and likewise asserting that said Norse were the autonomous subjects of the Abbasid state thousands of km south. It would be an interesting topic.

The Norse of course are used to living in a climate similar to that of Iceland (albeit with warmer summers). Muslims used to live in very warm climate that was nothing like Iceland.
There had been North African Slave raids on island OTL in the early modern era. Maybe the pirates permamently establish bases and eventually subjecting the Iceland population and founding an Emirate.

corourke

Donor
There had been North African Slave raids on island OTL in the early modern era. Maybe the pirates permamently establish bases and eventually subjecting the Iceland population and founding an Emirate.
The population of Iceland was quite small at this time. Maybe a North African slave ship wrecks on Iceland and the survivors manage to stay and introduce the religion that way.

The population of Iceland was quite small at this time. Maybe a North African slave ship wrecks on Iceland and the survivors manage to stay and introduce the religion that way.
It still numbered in the tens of thousands and they were Christian enough to hold witch trials and go along with what the Danish clergy asked them to.

Also, how much warmer was Iceland during the Medieval Warm Period? After it had ended, even Icelanders did not like living there.

This did happen historical, the results were that the Icelanders butchered them, which they also did several times with pirate raids, any non-Danish foreigners landing on the shore of Iceland were killed summarily by the Icelanders. The few successful pirate raids and the little interaction they had Basque (who was the more regularly slave catchers) did absolutely nothing to moderate their hatred toward foreign sailers. Pretty hard to to convert people who hunt you down and kills you in unpleasant ways.

I doubt it. The best possibility is a Muslim Scandinavia or Muslim Norway. Which would be an interesting proposition. I can imagine the Abbasid state dispatching scholars to the far away north to see to the implementation of Islam and likewise asserting that said Norse were the autonomous subjects of the Abbasid state thousands of km south. It would be an interesting topic.

I can already feel the alt-right clenching.

Good god.
You have given me a terrible throught.
Muslim... Vikings?!

Good god.
You have given me a terrible throught.
Muslim... Vikings?!
That could be incredibly interesting (though bordering on the implausible, unless a significant chunk of Europe converts to Islam I don't see how it could reach northern Europe; but then again, it made it all the way to Indonesia even before the age of sail, so it isn't entirely impossible). The distance and relative isolation from the rest of the Islamic world would most likely result in a very unique culture/religion. I could see it diverging a fair bit from "regular" Islam depending on how exactly the conversion happens and just how much contact they have with other Muslim polities.

That could be incredibly interesting (though bordering on the implausible, unless a significant chunk of Europe converts to Islam I don't see how it could reach northern Europe; but then again, it made it all the way to Indonesia even before the age of sail, so it isn't entirely impossible). The distance and relative isolation from the rest of the Islamic world would most likely result in a very unique culture/religion. I could see it diverging a fair bit from "regular" Islam depending on how exactly the conversion happens and just how much contact they have with other Muslim polities.
It could be!
I imagine that 'Nordic' Islam would be similar to some of the 'Outremer' Islamic groups in africa, and indonesia,
perhaps with lax religious laws, and fusion culture with oden and such. A Nordic caliphate... possibilities.

It could be!
I imagine that 'Nordic' Islam would be similar to some of the 'Outremer' Islamic groups in africa, and indonesia,
perhaps with lax religious laws, and fusion culture with oden and such. A Nordic caliphate... possibilities.
Some Changes are for mere necesity, like Ramadan on Summer Months and longer Ramadan on winter ones, some considerations what to eat on harsh winter and mostly that, might not change much or at all either