Mithras Supreme

I showed Dr. Dayem, my psychiatrist, the web page with "Dayem the Great". He was so tickled he printed a copy for his 13 year old daughter!

National Holidays:
New Saxonland Jan 21
New Leoland Apr 5
New Thorland Mar 18
Tenokauatl Nov 12
Dominion of Incan Peoples Aug 26
New Lycian Federation May 2
Saharan Coptic Empire Sep 29 (formerly Jun 17)
Arabic Coptic Empire Dec 11 (formerly Jun 17)
Turkic Coptic Empire Nov 8 (formerly Jun 17)
note: Jun 17 was national holiday of the original Coptic Empire
Leoland Feb 3
Gothland May 3
New Mithrasland Dec 25
Thorland Apr 23
Hind Khanate Jun 7
Chien Khanate Aug 1
Eerland Easter
If anyone has a good reason to change this, that is OK.

Norman said:
How does the Interplanar group work? I've been out and signed up.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but basicly, just submit a plane/world, if it meets the requirements, its discovered and nations on that plane can join. So, just think of an ATL that you'd like to see and submit it.

I'm not crazy about the maps, they look kinda grainy.
BTW, how would the Catholic Church develop in this TL? I bet it would be a lot less arrogant!

Does Size matter?

tom said:
I'm not crazy about the maps, they look kinda grainy.
BTW, how would the Catholic Church develop in this TL? I bet it would be a lot less arrogant!

Small Christian sects can be very arrogant.

I think the RC Church would be very defensive. It would be actively involved in a propaganda war against the Mithraists (revealing distorted exposes of the inner secrets), Buddhism and the Copts. They may conduct talks on reconciliation with other schisms though. But I see those breaking down despite some people trying their best.

As I also mentioned previously they would be on the prowl for enything sounding Hermetic as being a Mithraic contamination.

Well they wouldn't really be the Catholic Church we know, probably a bit more decentralized, and more 'parish' oriented.

There is a chance that they would be highly oriented to the bible, both old and new testements, and might have some unusual cultural mechanisms for idetifying themselves as Christians within the larger societies.

Maybe dress and dietary restrictions would also be present.

What would be the cultural effects a couple centuries after a nuclear war of the scale depicted here?

Possibilities (particularly religious)

I think there are two possibilities.

First, the more obvious, we survived, therefore we are (favored, have a special mission, etc, etc). While the mainstream religious teaching wouldn't pick this up, a lot of the cultish groups would. There would be a lot of potential conflict here, as each favored group contended with each other. Some nations, rather than contend with the sort of national bickering that can result, might have declared either state religions, or some variation of seperation of church and state.

Second, slightly less obvious. Survivor's guilt based religions. We survived, there fore we did something wrong, or we were unfaithful and are being tested by god.

These reacition would be most immediately noticed in the religious teachings of various groups, but would permeate the general culture too. The literature coming out of the period would probably have some strong survival message.

Norman:
Good ideas. BTW, my Cuban Missile War America has a lot of the first "we are favored" ideology.

Survivalist

Tom, also consider that, similar to OTL Mormanism, there would be strong cultural belief associated with

1) food storage, Those that survive the bombing will )at least in part) have had better access to food.

2) many small communities. There would be no large urban areas to avoid establishing targets.

3) Lot's of OTL survivalist tendencies.

4) Probably a cultural emphasis on cooperation and courtesy, those that survive (even in the countries largely untouched) would heve done so on a community level.

A Morman author wrote a post holocaust nove where Mormanism dominates, and Leigh Brackett (IIRC)(sp?) wrote one where large cities are forbidden by constitutional amendment.

I think that, particularly in the hard hit areas, the cultural values would be largely based on the experiences of the survivors.

Medical knowledge would also be very important, and the people would be relatively well trained in it.

Sporting events??

Let me ask a question here, having gone out to see the interplanary confederation (and actually joining), it looks as if we are trying to 'flesh out' a present day world based on a recognizable POD.

In many respects, you are going toward the development of an Almanac of Mithras world.

Given this world as you have described it, what would the major sporting events be.

For example, I suspect that horse racing would exist in most worlds with a domesticated horse.

What about team sports??

Mithras has some games similar to OTL. It also has Amerindian games like Ollamalitzli (Aztec basketball), but without the beheading the losing captain part, or the MVP getting all the clothing off the spectators backs. So a basketball fan would be confused by a vertical hoop, and probably befuddled by the rules. On the other hand, a Mithran fan of the game analogous to our field hockey would find ice hockey ridiculous. The most popular game is one based on the Amerindian game of baggataway, almost identical to OTL lacrosse
I am completely out of my depth in team sports, so is anyone else willing to research our team sport history and come up with games and rules, please be my guest!

Given Mithraic respect for the miltiary something quaimilitary --a distant cousin of rugby seems likely. I would resist suggestions that they would be avid fans of bull fighitng.