Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

McPherson

Banned
I am currently trying to write an ATL on the Cuban Missile crisis and reading some research. One of the articles I read was that the idea of a naval blockade was only one of the options (there were 6 in total) presented to the President. There was also an Financial Times article that stated that the President initially leaned toward the option of air strikes (which was quite different from another article I read on the Times magazine website), but was convinced to consider the blockade idea much more seriously by Secretary of Defence McNamara.

Was it ever written or documented down from exactly whom did the Naval blockade originally originated from? Or how the idea was originally formed and made its way into the list of options presented to the President?
Please be aware that the popular histories are often filled with untruths, about the Cuban Missile Crisis. McNamara was not the "dove".

What if Germany never designed the Tiger but used the resources to design a better Panther? We end up with a Panther that is more reliable from the get go cheaper and likely is introduced faster than otl

McPherson

Banned
What if Germany never designed the Tiger but used the resources to design a better Panther? We end up with a Panther that is more reliable from the get go cheaper and likely is introduced faster than otl
If one does not have the right steels or the means to make them, then one still has the transmission problems in the Panther.

Both were based on designs that started all the way back in 38-39, and built for diferent reasons: the Tiger because of the problems heavy tanks like the Matilda/B1, and the Panther as (originally) a replacement for the PzIII & PzIV. I guess the "Panther" could have started as a Tiger with less armour, as one of the Vk series designs. Slap the 88mm in, so as to avoid the need to develop a new gun.

I'd say one problem is where you dock and maintain such a beast. The Typhoon-class is 175m long and has a (surfaced) displacement of over 24000 tons, with a draught of 12meters. That's allready off limits to many docks. So... make something over (say) twice the tonage of that, and you'll be hard pressed to dock it anywhere. Not to mention SSBNs like to dive ASAP as soon as they are of harbour. So you need fairly deep waters right out of the bay/estuary.

McPherson

Banned
Whatever as long as it's usable in actual service and not a gimmicky toy.

It is some type of ballistic missile submarine as they are the largest.
The practical question list just grew longer.

Several questions...

Purpose?
Operating floor depth requirement?
How many dives does it have to survive?

How many missiles?
How close to the enemy(s)?
Reloads?
Post attack sea denial mission?

Purpose? Assured destruction of enemy nation states (multiple) in the event of central strategic attack upon the homeland.

Operating depth requirement? No less than 300 meters and no more than 1600 meters.

How close to the enemy? Homeland port pierside launch to reach capable or anywhere on Earth. Hence nuclear powered submarine.

How many dives does it have to survive? 1000.

How many missiles? Best game theory for nation X indicates a missile carrier with 10 ICBM type systems, so insurance pad, call it 12 missiles for added bounce. 12 warheads per missile (FORBES) for assured coverage, and no less than 10 platforms. 10 x 12 x 12 = 1440 warheads in the delivery system of systems with at least 2x reloads.

The result is 20,000 tonnes and 170 meters long with a 13-14 meter pressure barrel diameter. It is nuclear powered and carries 16 missile launch tubes + two large diameter weapon ejectors.

The Russians are not the only ones who can come up with intercontinental swimming port destroying nuclear warheaded torpedoes as treaty cheater weapons..

Bytor

Monthly Donor
What if the 1909 assassination attempt on the lives of Porfirio Diaz and William Howard Taft at a summit in Ciudad Juárez and El Paso had succeeded?

I wasn't sure where to ask this - looking for the story that follows an alternate Falklands Conflict where the RN had a proper aircraft carrier available... where could I find that story?

I wasn't sure where to ask this - looking for the story that follows an alternate Falklands Conflict where the RN had a proper aircraft carrier available... where could I find that story?
I think you are looking for this Excellent story: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/hms-eagle-in-the-falklands-story-only.506141/

Or you could mean this AWESOME story involving tanks in the Falklands: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-fireflies-of-port-stanley.262286/

AHC - have China be ruled by Confucian Party with Confucianism being the official ideology and government officials dressing as ancient scholar officials

PoD after 1912

Driftless

Donor
Is there any plausible path for earlier use of oil-fired steam turbines on US Navy larger warships? I believe the Nevadas were the first of the US battleships with oil-fired turbines. I realize there were originally issues with endurance, and learning curve, but with US control of its own oil supply, could that shift have been made at an earlier date?

What if instead of sinker her, the Japanese captured and successfully recovered the abandoned USS Hornet (CV-8)?

What if this had occurred and the Hornet was successful delivered to Japan as a prize of war only to be repaired and redeployed as the war dragged on onwards for the Japanese?

What if instead of sinker her, the Japanese captured and successfully recovered the abandoned USS Hornet (CV-8)?

What if this had occurred and the Hornet was successful delivered to Japan as a prize of war only to be repaired and redeployed as the war dragged on onwards for the Japanese?
The hulk was pretty much wrecked; even if it would be salvageable, it would take at least a year to repair/rebuild. Besides, what the japanese lacked was aircrews and aircraft, not carriers (as well as proper organization and inter-service cooperation...). What could be of help was capture of sensitive equipment (specially radars) and papers (code books, logs of cooms, etc)

What if the Baltics are not annexed by the USSR and Army Group North deploys there?
Well... for starters you have to alter the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, to avoid the annexation. Then you have to convince the baltic states to allow a full german army to be parked there. Then you have to massively increase the transport capabilties of Germany in the Baltic, otherwise transporting all those men, equipment and logistics there. This would be impossible to hide from the soviets...

And something tells me Stalin isn't simply could to sit back and do nothing. One way is to do what he did in OTL, just assume the troops in the border are defensive, Hitler is too busy, their pact works. Another is to react to such a move...