'Minus World: New Game Plus' — A Successful Philips SNES-CD Timeline

As Said Before we need to give Phillips development teams, Nintendo would want to see people supporting the CD and they can only release so many games at any time, even before counting the new staff ITTL the SNES-CD will demand.

Seems all Major Phillips Studio were in California alongside a possible Japanese one and a french and Dutch one...That gives Phillips at least Five development teams. At least two in the USA, one in France, one in japan and at least one in the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NovaLogic And the team doing Mario Wacky Worlds for at least Six. I can see Pushing Comanche for the SNES CD too.

Let's say they put all them working in SMWW and Comanche, which leaves at least 3 launch titles by Phillips.
@RandomDSdevel We can add a bigger post for a thread mark by yourself but my idea was to codify

Phillips first or second-party developers(some might have been just second or third but will catalogue better later on)
SPC Vision/The Vision Factory: First party as all their games were CDI and died later. their best game was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(video_game) who never got a sequel. Maybe they get the Zelda License ittl or not? regardless the apprentice could be a good launch title

Philips Interactive Media: The main Philips itself, have several studios in France and Maybe the Netherlands itself too(a lot of games I found were in french), ITTL would mean at least 3-4 development teams in Europe alone(one or two in Netherlands and other two in France it seems), not counting Phillips POV(US), and several other in USA(both second and first party), plus i think Philips might genuinely open a development studio or two in japan to get a closer link to Nintendo. @CourtlyHades296 were the ones who ported Dark Castle to CDi by the way
Capitol Disc Interactive: A First Party as not only do the initials mean CDi, much of their games were board game adaptations to the system with the best one being Axis&Allies... but they did work on an NFL game for sega consoles that got cancelled..maybe repurposed as a board games/Sports developers?
Japan Interactive Media: I couldn't find anything about it, but was a self-publisher so might have been a third party
Nova Logic: It Seems was Phillips's major bet as a third/second party as they were the one developing super Mario Wacky world before it was cancelled, plus they already have PC experience with their successful military games. ITTL if Both Nintendo and Phillips could push SMWW for a launch/near launch and Comanche for the same. Enough to be Internalized as a first party?

At least 7-8 first/second party for phillips
I'll do a threadmarked post on development teams and studios, as well as potential publishers, unique to this timeline later, either all of them together or a separate post each specifically for at least Philips teams and studios and one omnibus post. I've yet to come up with good descriptions for each team or studio, though. Maybe Player Two Start had at least one post I can use as a template? I haven't looked into that yet, however.

I haven't decided all of the CD-i games that get Philips SNES-CD releases in this timeline yet, but I can start adding at least a few to this thread's SNES/SNES-CD software lineup draft.

Last edited:
One idea I had for TTL's version of Super Metroid is that Varia can appear either after Kraid or after Ridley depending on which of the two you defeat first. The one you defeat after the other has an Energy Tank instead. The idea that the four main bosses can be defeated in any order is an intended part of gameplay ITTL. The Mockball is also an intended part of gameplay ITTL, and Spore Spawn is optional even in 100% Item Collection speedruns.

Last edited:
One idea I had for TTL's version of Super Metroid is that Varia can appear either after Kraid or after Ridley depending on which of the two you defeat first. The one you defeat after the other has an Energy Tank instead. The idea that the four main bosses can be defeated in any order is an intended part of gameplay ITTL. The Mockball is also an intended part of gameplay ITTL, and Spore Spawn is optional even in 100% Item Collection speedruns.
So super Metroid being more speed run friendly? Not bad.

The rest now I'm wondering if the og Metroid would be remade for CD, they don't need IS for it, TOSE or pax Softonic to do it

Speaking of Metroid, could we see an actual Metroid game for the N64 in this timeline? And what of Retro Studios?
WITH a 1988 POD is very possible for ITTL a full fledge Metroid Game ITTL equivalent of N64, especially If Nintendo would push for one after Super. And If Sakamoto gets his shit together too
Again with the POD retro up the air, depends on what Jeff Spangenberg does ITTL.
Some CD-i games are hard to find descriptions for. I found a review blog that's already helped me there on at least one game:

There's actually a guy that does this? I feel sorry for him/her/them.
Seems he is a genuine CDi fan and he is making us a favour, that shit is expensive. And Allah, some those 'games' are either barely or pedestrian as hell

Last edited:
This timeline's SNES-CD obviously has less of a need for it — SNES-CD–enhanced cartridge games, if any, would likely just stick to using enhancement chips hard-wired into their cartridges —, but here's something interesting I found out about while looking for CD-i game details:

Anyway, that makes the case for this timeline's SNES-CD having a counterpart to the CD-i's Digital Video Card slot slightly better. Maybe this could give Nintendo an additional small bit of extra buffer time before they release this timeline's N64 counterpart if they really end up needing it by extending the SNES-CD's life a tad? I don't know if that's something that should get considered with any level of seriousness, but it's just something to throw out there.

This timeline's SNES-CD obviously has less of a need for it — SNES-CD–enhanced cartridge games, if any, would likely just stick to using enhancement chips hard-wired into their cartridges —, but here's something interesting I found out about while looking for CD-i game details:

Anyway, that makes the case for this timeline's SNES-CD having a counterpart to the CD-i's Digital Video Card slot slightly better. Maybe this could give Nintendo an additional small bit of extra buffer time before they release this timeline's N64 counterpart if they really end up needing it by extending the SNES-CD's life a tad? I don't know if that's something that should get considered with any level of seriousness, but it's just something to throw out there.
You know, a game Card/expansion card could be released as a counter to the at the time next generation consoles(PS1 and Saturn) If Nintendo decides to Give more Time to the SNES-CD and buff the N64. like in 1994-1995(Japan/Rest of the world) the Cart is released so third parties can still keep pace with the more 3D games PS1 and Saturn would release, plus maybe Sony could buff the PS1 ITTL and SEGA yet their shit together and make a Saturn could live up his potential. So the Game Card would be worth even more. Is up to how butterflies unfold, but that link show is feasible, HECK otl Saturn used Ram Cart too.

Last edited:
@RandomDSdevel About the apprentice, I think the game would be pushed far earlier as SPC Vision would be founded earlier and not waste time with FMV and barely games virtual utilities. the same is the sequel. About Namco, they barely published games for SNES OTL(weird, seriously, they only published less than 10 titles) so that's up in the air but if Namco wants to work on CD, Arcade Collection would be there for the Japanese launch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacekeeper_Revolver Maybe the Phillips Peacemaker is pushed over the Super Scope? plus that would give Nintendo some ideas too

https://jcmit.net/diskprice.htm I thought about An HDD for expansion but refrain against it,MB/$ Was expensive as hell till they collapse in 2000. Maybe Diskettes? Flash Carts? i think we might just re-release or use the idea of an expansion disc... a cheap spinoff.
As for EA, I don't think they will get the FIFA license after what they pulled with Sega
That's a Massive understatement, nothing stops them from making a football/soccer game but without the monopolistic license that leaves it just another soccer-football game

Last edited:
Something would be planned about the expansion (I've an idea but dunno how feasible would be...)
https://jcmit.net/diskprice.htm I thought about An HDD for expansion but refrain against it,MB/$ Was expensive as hell till they collapse in 2000. Maybe Diskettes? Flash Carts? i think we might just re-release or use the idea of an expansion disc... a cheap spinoff.
Remember that I floated the idea of:

• [Giving] the SNES base unit or either its SNES-CD or Satellaview-equivalent peripherals an external hard drive connector of some kind.

I suppose that thought could be expanded to include using that same port as a generic external storage interface that players can connect with more than just hard drives. Other storage media and mechanisms available to interface with this port could be:
  1. External diskette drives, though I presume that by 'diskette' you meant something more like a Zip disk for higher-capacity expansion storage, as opposed to a floppy disk.
  2. External non-volatile/flash memory banks/arrays.
Option 1 is non-trivially awkward, though; consumers already have enough removable media to juggle with just SNES cartridges and this timeline's SNES-CD discs.

For option 1, I could see at least some external drives' manufacturers offering two-disk models. For option 2, another interface I could see cropping up on the market would be an external flash cartridge docking station with one or more slots. (They might look funny, though, like power-tool battery charging stations, depending on the flash cartridges' shape.)

In any case, this is something that we can keep thinking about until later.

At least some titles that get expansions will probably see complete compilation re-releases that include both their base games and any and all of their add-on content come to market later.

Edit:

Oh, one more thought: I was thinking the external flash cartridge docking stations would likely use non-interchangeable, arbitrary proprietary interfaces — unless the SNES accessory market converges on some kind of de facto standard, of course, but I'm not counting on knowing or being optimistic about the odds of that happening. It's occurred to me, however, that some company might release a bundle containing a bootstrap cartridge or CD and an external multi-bay SNES cartridge adapter once Nintendo Power cartridges arrive on the market. Some third-party accessory manufacturers might also start producing Nintendo Power cartridge knock-offs after that point, too.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VI could be a CD-enhanced cartridge game that has a vocalized opera if the CD add-on is used with a 1-disc CD of orchestral versions of music from the game that launches alongside the game.

In any case, this is something that we can keep thinking about until later.
Yeah I was thinking of options or ideas but some are very expensive(HDD) and others dunno if would have enough file space(flash carts, etc) for me, just leave the CD add on and maybe the VCD Cart or Game Cart, downloads can be the difference added value for ITTL N64, but let's wait and see how that unfold

I've an Idea but would be Limited for Cartridge Games than you can use both CD and Cartidge for Add-on but that left pure CD games on the dust...maybe the opposite could happen? maybe if we accelerated the idea of Nintendo Power like Cartidges....

Oh, one more thought: I was thinking the external flash cartridge docking stations would likely use non-interchangeable, arbitrary proprietary interfaces — unless the SNES accessory market converges on some kind of de facto standard, of course, but I'm not counting on knowing or being optimistic about the odds of that happening. It's occurred to me, however, that some company might release a bundle containing a bootstrap cartridge or CD and an external multi-bay SNES cartridge adapter once Nintendo Power cartridges arrive on the market. Some third-party accessory manufacturers might also start producing Nintendo Power cartridge knock-offs after that point, too.
This could work... Ummm a special flash cartridge?

Final Fantasy VI could be a CD-enhanced cartridge game that has a vocalized opera if the CD add-on is used with a 1-disc CD of orchestral versions of music from the game that launches alongside the game.
Why just not simply a CD game? at that point CDs would have proliferated and easier than buying the game twice(or buying the game and the add-on disc). We all know you love FFVI we already noticed it

Last edited:
I think that FFVI should be a dual format release so that both systems have one of the best RPGs ever made. FFIV and V should remain cartridge exclusives so that the cartridge SNES has exclusive Final Fantasy games, and thus great exclusive JRPGs.

Last edited: