Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh God- the more I think about how that sounded the worse it gets... Well, I wasn't going to pay attention to Algebra anyway. Please accept my apologies.

So this map is a sequel to these maps:
1861-65

-Also, to answer @VixenRaw 's question, the revolution led to another monarchy, I haven't decided which. It was, however, much more violent. More of a Civil War, really. The Navy recked itself because allegiances were quite... divided.

1866:
1611854667817.png

The French (obviously) reject the peace overtures. They make the American decision easier by shelling some Liberian ports. America declares war but nothing really happens for much of the year. The only battle happens on the Ivory Coast, where the Liberia Colonial Garrison attacks the French colony, while the Navies battle it out. The Navy actually features the first Black officer in the Navy, Acting Ensign John Freedman, who performs very well and gets his commission made permanent by President Lincoln. The Ivory Coast colony is captured by the end of the year, and images of the Black troops fighting the awful French under the stars and stripes does very well for the budding Civil Rights Movement.

1867:
1611856548047.png

The American Marine Corps captures several French Caribbean colonies. The Navy raids French shipping. Master Freedman ends the year being called "la terreur noire" or "The Black Terror". Semi-Radical Reconstruction begins in the South, with 50% of the population of the rebellious states needing to take an oath of loyalty to the Union for re-admittance and schools being set up to be taught by northerners and loyal southerners. France, under threat of another rebellion, requests terms.

TREATY OF ROTTERDAM, 1867:
-America gets over one billion dollars in reimbursements.
-America annexes French Ivory Coast.
-France will cut it's Navy by 20%
1611856732397.png

Last edited:
My first map posting on the site. It is actually a "through a mirror" type map from @B_Munro excellent and imaginative East is West (itself based a on short story by Olaf Stapledon), positing a mirror world in which Britain and Japan (and by extension Europe and China) switched roles. I've been working on this on and off for a while (since November) but I was too busy/lazy/working/playing video games to get it finished until now. My map is based on someone in the "East is West" universe making their own map of what they thought a mirror image world would look like. However, it doesn't end up looking quite like our own.....

West is East
West is East.png

My first map posting on the site. It is actually a "through a mirror" type map from @B_Munro excellent and imaginative East is West (itself based a on short story by Olaf Stapledon), positing a mirror world in which Britain and Japan (and by extension Europe and China) switched roles. I've been working on this on and off for a while (since November) but I was too busy/lazy/working/playing video games to get it finished until now. My map is based on someone in the "East is West" universe making their own map of what they thought a mirror image world would look like. However, it doesn't end up looking quite like our own.....
Okay, this is great.

Here's a crosspost of a map of Africa circa 1859 from my ongoing timeline Dreams of Liberty. With a handful of notable suggestions, such as British Aegypt and the Virginian Gold Coast, Africa has mostly avoided colonization by the West ITTL, and a number of African states have undergone their own industrial revolutions.

Map of Africa 1859-DOL.png

Fourth in a series:
1861-1865
1866-1867

1885-1886
1611897214249.png

Despite a pro-french coup in Mexico, America is steadily chugging along under President Rutherford B. Hayes. That is, until, Mexico attacks the U.S., beginning what would later be known as World War I. The 63-year-old General (and top general as Lee, despite being in excellent shape, is 78) Ulysses S. Grant, a former President, comes out of retirement to lead American forces to (almost) victory. Acting-Captain John Freedman captains the Philidelphia after the commanding officer is killed. He is promoted to Captain after the Battle of Cancun Bay.
The French declare war on the Germans (due to various disputes over the Benelux). A complex web of alliances comes into play. The British declare war on the French, The Russians declare war on the Germans, The Spanish declare war on the Portugese, The British declare war on the Spanish, The Austro-Hungarians declare war on Serbia, etc. pro-France Mexico declares war on the Triple Alliance, which stupid as it may seem was likely their best hope against the Americans. The Americans then declare war on the Triple Entente. The Benelux fight comes to a head as Belgium declares war on Germany while the Netherlands do the opposite.

1611898717002.png

The French have another meeting with now-Commodore "la terreur noire" in the Atlantic. The world-class American Navy (British have the most powerful while the Americans have the most advanced) obliterates the French fleet. Having the world's third strongest navy is good except when numbers 1, 2, and 4 are against you. The Russian army is doing okay before the Finns rebel, forcing a diversion of troops.

Fourth in a series:
1861-1865
1866-1867

1885-1886
View attachment 620698
Despite a pro-french coup in Mexico, America is steadily chugging along under President Rutherford B. Hayes. That is, until, Mexico attacks the U.S., beginning what would later be known as World War I. The 63-year-old General (and top general as Lee, despite being in excellent shape, is 78) Ulysses S. Grant, a former President, comes out of retirement to lead American forces to (almost) victory. Acting-Captain John Freedman captains the Philidelphia after the commanding officer is killed. He is promoted to Captain after the Battle of Cancun Bay.
The French declare war on the Germans (due to various disputes over the Benelux). A complex web of alliances comes into play. The British declare war on the French, The Russians declare war on the Germans, The Spanish declare war on the Portugese, The British declare war on the Spanish, The Austro-Hungarians declare war on Serbia, etc. pro-France Mexico declares war on the Triple Alliance, which stupid as it may seem was likely their best hope against the Americans. The Americans then declare war on the Triple Entente. The Benelux fight comes to a head as Belgium declares war on Germany while the Netherlands do the opposite.

View attachment 620700
The French have another meeting with now-Commodore "la terreur noire" in the Atlantic. The world-class American Navy (British have the most powerful while the Americans have the most advanced) obliterates the French fleet. Having the world's third strongest navy is good except when numbers 1, 2, and 4 are against you. The Russian army is doing okay before the Finns rebel, forcing a diversion of troops.
When did the US gain most of Canada?

Fourth in a series:
1861-1865
1866-1867

1885-1886
View attachment 620698

View attachment 620700
If may I ask, how did USA got the lands of Canada?

Maria Theresia revenge - or miracle of Prussia doesn´t happen...
Habsburgs and their allies were able to almost destroy Prussia in seven years war. Habsburgs get back SIlesia, Saxony Magdeburg (and some minor territorial upgrades in Brandenburg), Sweden Stettin, Bavaria Kleve and other minor possesion in western Germany. Prussia itself get to Russia (Elisabeth live a bit longer) and then was traded for Courland.
With Prussia totally humiliated and turned into some sort of third rate power, there wasn´t much opposition for Joseph project of trading Netherlands for Bavaria (with some minor cession to France).
Later, emperor Joseph went to war with Ottomans and was able to rectify the shame of Belgrade treaty. Victory against "heathen Turk" at least a little bit increased his popularity, shattered by his stern regime and some of reforms he made...
Soon after emperor Joseph die and his brother Leopold, grand duke of Tuscany, take over throne.
There is growing discontent, among the aristocracy as in people, dissatisfied by some of late emperors reforms. Also among the imperial princes austrian growth and sometime heavy handed policy of Joseph created enmity. And then there are last news from France. Events, firstly welcomed by enlightened Leopold, critic to his brother-in-law rule, seems to be taking wilder and more disturbing course...
On the other hand, empire is standing strong, despite inner opposition. In Reich, there is no power equal to Austria. Only all of more significant princes combined could create real danger to Emperor. And such alliance, despite common concerns about emperors power, isn´t likely. Italy is basically "co-dominion" of Habsburgs and Bourbons, while southeastern borders seems to be secure and calm. On the east, there is growing power of Russia, traditional ally but dangerous rival at the same time, on the other hand, there is also Poland, standing as a buffer against it. At first, to let french princ Louis became ruler of Poland seemed as bad idead, leading to encirclement of Habsburg monarchy, but, as french support for new king weakened, polish king got closer to Vienna.
And last but not least, Leopold is cunning and experienced ruler, more cautious but not less determined than his late brother... But coming days will bring challenge even for such man... How will he withstand it? And how will withstand Habsburg monarchy?
Maria Theresia.png

Last edited:
Maria Theresia revenge - or miracle of Prussia doesn´t happen...
Habsburgs and their allies were able to almost destroy Prussia in seven years war. Habsburgs get back SIlesia, Saxony Magdeburg (and some minor territorial upgrades in Brandenburg), Sweden Stettin, Bavaria Kleve and other minor possesion in western Germany. Prussia itself get to Russia (Elisabeth live a bit longer) and then was traded for Courland.
With Prussia totally humiliated and turned into some sort of third rate power, there wasn´t much opposition for Joseph project of trading Netherlands for Bavaria (with some minor cession to France).
Later, emperor Joseph went to war with Ottomans and was able to rectify the shame of Belgrade treaty. Victory against "heathen Turk" at least a little bit increased his popularity, shattered by his stern regime and some of reforms he made...
Soon after emperor Joseph die and his brother Leopold, grand duke of Tuscany, take over throne.
There is growing discontent, among the aristocracy as in people, dissatisfied by some of late emperors reforms. Also among the imperial princes austrian growth and sometime heavy handed policy of Joseph created enmity. And then there are last news from France. Events, firstly welcomed by enlightened Leopold, critic to his brother-in-law rule, seems to be taking wilder and more disturbing course...
On the other hand, empire is standing strong, despite inner opposition. In Reich, there is no power equal to Austria. Only all of more significant princes combined could create real danger to Emperor. And such alliance, despite common concerns about emperors power, isn´t likely. Italy is basically "co-dominion" of Habsburgs and Bourbons, while southeastern borders seems to be secure and calm. On the east, there is growing power of Russia, traditional ally but dangerous rival at the same time, on the other hand, there is also Poland, standing as a buffer against it. At first, to let french princ Louis became ruler of Poland seemed as bad idead, leading to encirclement of Habsburg monarchy, but, as french support for new king weakened, polish king got closer to Vienna.
And last but not least, Leopold is cunning and experienced ruler, more cautious but not less determined than his late brother... But coming days will bring challenge even for such man... How will he withstand it? And how will withstand Habsburg monarchy? View attachment 620746
I must also mention two works with similar premise: Maria Theresa´s Revenge by RvBOMally (sadly, no 18th century Austria-wank, but cool name :D) and Bavarian dance by Zauberfloete - featuring total prussian defeat at Kunnersdorf, Austrian Silesia and successful bavarian exchange
(said maps: https://www.deviantart.com/rvbomally/art/Maria-Theresa-s-Revenge-500995431
https://www.deviantart.com/zauberfloete21/art/TL-445-A-Bavarian-Dance-by-Zauberfloete-614309631 )

edit: changed a map, little bit (tiny upgrades and corrections of Franco-Brabant borders)

Last edited:
When Canada was granted dominion status, the unpopulated western regions held a referendum. The British were actually willing to do this since rural ice lands are hard to administer from London.

But if they are getting dominion status they aren't going to be administrated from London. The point of dominion status is self rule.

London is the capital of Canada. In OTL it is called "Ottawa".

But in the map you also gave all of Ontario to the US. "Canada" (aka Quebec (and Labrador)) does not have Ottawa anymore.

I could get giving the Northwest and Prairie to the US but definitely not Ontario and most likely not Manitoba.

Fourth in a series:
1861-1865
1866-1867

1885-1886
View attachment 620698

View attachment 620700
What's West Virginia doing here? I thought West Virginia was formed OTL because Virginia rebelled from the US in the civil war, which doesn't happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.