Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really interesting; any chance of a similar map, but showing population change by relative number? That would allow us to compare growth rates directly between different countries.

I plan to do a growth rate by percentage map (IE. country x grew by 34% over the time) next, after that though no, though I do have a file with the numerical and percentage numbers.

A larger version of the map in the wikibox in this post

Long story short, the third century crisis leads to an earlier Eastern and Western Roman Empire (with the two established via more successful Gallic and Palmyrene Empires), the West is the one that lasts a long time while the East falls earlier, and Emperor Kavad of the Sasanians (of some note, a supporter of Mazdakism, a kind-of-sort-of premodern communism sorta) ends up winning a war against the Eastern Empire and greatly expanding his realm

View attachment 674339

(I didn't create the map from scratch, I just got it from here and did a hackjob on it to make it fit the alternate scenario

Also I've done some other inkscape/svg stuff with maps from wikipedia, but this was the first time I actually figured out how to use some basic features like node usage, and wow, that's some useful stuff)
YEEEEEEEEEEEAH BIG SASANIANS LETS GOOOOO

I was gonna ask if there's a reason why you used a Greek-derived name for Egypt in Persian, rather than the Old Persian name for the Egyptian Satrapay, Mudrāya, used under the Achaemenids... But then I discovered that, during the OTL period of Sasanian rule in Egypt, they apparently referred to it as Romanistan and Romanistan būm kē misr-iz xwānēnd ("the land of Romans which is also called Misr"), which has just completely blown me away because I did not know that and it is so cool.

Anyway, cool map and concept.

(2.) YEEEEEEEEEEEAH BIG SASANIANS LETS GOOOOO

(1.) I was gonna ask if there's a reason why you used a Greek-derived name for Egypt in Persian, rather than the Old Persian name for the Egyptian Satrapay, Mudrāya, used under the Achaemenids... But then I discovered that, during the OTL period of Sasanian rule in Egypt, they apparently referred to it as Romanistan and Romanistan būm kē misr-iz xwānēnd ("the land of Romans which is also called Misr"), which has just completely blown me away because I did not know that and it is so cool.

(3.) Anyway, cool map and concept.
(1.) Cool that someone picked up on all that

As it turns out, "Agiptus" was just the name that was used on the map I used as a base from wikipedia

But I was curious about whether the province names in general were correct - it was actually Syria/the Levant that tipped me off first, since that area was referred to as "Al-Sham" on the original. And I thought that name originated from after the Arab conquests, which, upon a quick look, it did. So I checked all the province names, and it turned out that all of them were correct for the Sasanian era with exception of Al-Sham (which is changed) and the possible exception of Egypt

The thing is, I saw it referred to as "Romanistan" on the wikipedia page, but I was skeptical about that too since there were no sources on the page saying it, and the only things that seemed to come up when I searched for Romanistan were proposed states for the Romani people or what looked like mostly a bunch of wikipedia mirrors. And upon a check of the wikipedia page history, it turns out that before March of this year, the page instead said the Sasanians in the OTL period of their rule of Egypt referred to it as " agiptus būm kē misr-iz xwānēnd ("the land of Agiptus which is also called Misr")", and it had said that ever since the page was first created many edits before that. Though there were no sources given specifically for that naming either, so I had half a mind to just change it to the Old Persian satrapy name, but then I figured, maybe there's sources that I'm just not seeing that are actually in Persian, so I just went with Agiptus

But I'm not actually sure what the Sasanians actually called Egypt, it looks like "Agiptus" and "Romanistan" might both be wrong (or at least lacking in supporting english web sources that are findable with a quick google search)

(2.) And the biggening has just begun (though I can be pretty slow at getting around to following up on these things, but I actually have some fairly concrete ideas for this so I'll probably circle back to it eventually)

(3.) Thanks, glad you like it!

A larger version of the map in the wikibox in this post

Long story short, the third century crisis leads to an earlier Eastern and Western Roman Empire (with the two established via more successful Gallic and Palmyrene Empires), the West is the one that lasts a long time while the East falls earlier, and Emperor Kavad of the Sasanians (of some note, a supporter of Mazdakism, a kind-of-sort-of premodern communism sorta) ends up winning a war against the Eastern Empire and greatly expanding his realm

View attachment 674339

(I didn't create the map from scratch, I just got it from here and did a hackjob on it to make it fit the alternate scenario

Also I've done some other inkscape/svg stuff with maps from wikipedia, but this was the first time I actually figured out how to use some basic features like node usage, and wow, that's some useful stuff)

This is gorgeous! Great job. Although I wonder, if Kavadh manages to impose himself over the Zoroastrian clergy, wouldn't he subdue the Seven Parthian Houses? An Ispahbudhan in Egypt sounds like an invitation for trouble. :p

No, but really, GORGEOUS map. And great concept, too.

(1.) Cool that someone picked up on all that

As it turns out, "Agiptus" was just the name that was used on the map I used as a base from wikipedia

But I was curious about whether the province names in general were correct - it was actually Syria/the Levant that tipped me off first, since that area was referred to as "Al-Sham" on the original. And I thought that name originated from after the Arab conquests, which, upon a quick look, it did. So I checked all the province names, and it turned out that all of them were correct for the Sasanian era with exception of Al-Sham (which is changed) and the possible exception of Egypt

The thing is, I saw it referred to as "Romanistan" on the wikipedia page, but I was skeptical about that too since there were no sources on the page saying it, and the only things that seemed to come up when I searched for Romanistan were proposed states for the Romani people or what looked like mostly a bunch of wikipedia mirrors. And upon a check of the wikipedia page history, it turns out that before March of this year, the page instead said the Sasanians in the OTL period of their rule of Egypt referred to it as " agiptus būm kē misr-iz xwānēnd ("the land of Agiptus which is also called Misr")", and it had said that ever since the page was first created many edits before that. Though there were no sources given specifically for that naming either, so I had half a mind to just change it to the Old Persian satrapy name, but then I figured, maybe there's sources that I'm just not seeing that are actually in Persian, so I just went with Agiptus

But I'm not actually sure what the Sasanians actually called Egypt, it looks like "Agiptus" and "Romanistan" might both be wrong (or at least lacking in supporting english web sources that are findable with a quick google search)

(2.) And the biggening has just begun (though I can be pretty slow at getting around to following up on these things, but I actually have some fairly concrete ideas for this so I'll probably circle back to it eventually)

(3.) Thanks, glad you like it!
Woah! I love weird wikipedia holes like this.

So I tried going to the Farsi wiki article (a confusing experience in and of itself), copied the first paragraph into google translate, and isolated for the place where it said "(In Middle Persian it was known as 'Egypt')" so I could get just the Persian version of 'Egypt'. Then i found the "Romanization of Persian" wiki article and tried transliterating اگیپتوس by hand and got.... 'gjptvs. That first ' is a glottal stop.
I think that can, keeping in mind my very blunt method of transliteration, be reasonably considered as a version of "Agiptus"? So I guess you were right to pick that one.

Looking through the the edit history, the change was made by one person, who doesn't have a userpage, and who's only change was replacing "Agiptus" with "Romanistan". They also made a typo; "the land of Roman which is also called misr". I think that merits a rollback. I put a thing in the articles Talk page about it so if anyone does actually have sources to back it up, they migt just supply them.

Fun stuff, though.

Fixed version of a map I posted the other day.

A 15th Century Kilsu Dynasty Misian Map of the known world made in the standard Inoka Misian dialect.

This comes from Where the River Flows: The Story of Misia: A Native American Superpower (link in signature). It’s set in a world where the Mississippi becomes another cradle of civilization and uses the watershed of the Mississippi River (and some other rivers in the southeast) to form a vast China-like empire with a common culture. They call their land “Mihsiwahk”, meaning the great land/kingdom, although is known in European languages as Misia.

This map doesn’t show specific borders, but it shows the regions known by the Misians as well as important cities. The cities are shown by dots with the exception of Kahokwa, the capital of the Great Kilsu and the largest city in the Americas as of the time of the arrivals of Columbus and Cabot, which is shown by a square both due to its prominence as well as the fact that the map was made in that city.

A key for some features:

Mihsiwahk– The Great Kingdom
Ashinawahk– Land of the Ashinabe/Ojibwe
Mingowahk– Land of the Mingwes (Iroquoians)
Awansawahk– The Eastern Land
Ihkipaka– The Grasslands
Nepewahk– The Dead Land
Ashipewahk– The Land of Cliffs
Kusan– Kutsaan (comes from local name of civilization)
Mayawahk– The Southern Land (initially a false cognate with "Maya", although overtime the term has become associated with them)
Ayamakwi– The Far South
Asinwatis– Rockies (comes from local native name)
Awansachis– Appalachians / Eastern Mountains

8E518F42-8B20-478C-9331-B49A8C375544.png

The Nazi regime, even if it did rid Europe of Judeo-Bolshevism, was clearly an evil one. Modern Germany and our allies are very different from the Axis: our territorial demands are much more modest, and we are just the first among equal nations, not their masters. Soon we will be able to withdraw our forces: even the Kazakh army is armed with the newest German weaponry and will be able to defend itself. And polls show support for our allies among the people, so it can't go wrong.
eu but even more nazi.png

The Nazi regime, even if it did rid Europe of Judeo-Bolshevism, was clearly an evil one. Modern Germany and our allies are very different from the Axis: our territorial demands are much more modest, and we are just the first among equal nations, not their masters. Soon we will be able to withdraw our forces: even the Kazakh army is armed with the newest German weaponry and will be able to defend itself. And polls show support for our allies among the people, so it can't go wrong.
View attachment 674551
uhhhh not sure if this is text is meant to be from the pov of a specific group of people in the scenario, but you shouldn't come to the thread and say this without clarification.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
View attachment 674551
Don't you think you should rephrase that Laddie?

Like right now.

Yeah the user is even writing in a first person POV from the point of view of the Germans. While I think it’s always good to add extra context clues (quotation marks and maybe a source to show it’s a quote from an in-universe piece), I think it’s immediately obvious that it’s not supposed to be genuine.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
His text is like 1000000% clearly from an in-universe perspective going along with the map. Would be better to admonish whoever reported it for being too sensitive.
Thanks for the input.

Yeah the user is even writing in a first person POV from the point of view of the Germans. While I think it’s always good to add extra context clues (quotation marks and maybe a source to show it’s a quote from an in-universe piece), I think it’s immediately obvious that it’s not supposed to be genuine.
When a member only has a total of 15 posts, nothing is immediately obvious.

Learned this on the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.