Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

A map of my Historica map game in 10,000 BC:​

cjoff9not1671.png

(Link)

View attachment 660335

(Timeline link in signature)
Some more spoilery maps for my roughly-planned projection of Where the River Flows (tl link in signature).

8FA9553D-C0AA-423D-90AE-0F7C2C46647D.jpeg
64E82085-EF26-45E9-B144-AF5492DFE5E0.jpeg

As mentioned in the previous post, Misia and the other countries of the Northeast are all quite developed nations in the modern era, and are economically and militarily tied through the NAU. Misia and Takamcook are constitutional monarchies (Takamcook's head of state is the British Crown) while the rest are republics. They are mostly religiously Midewin with significant Christian minorities (Takamcook is Christian majority) and even a Jewish minority that fled from persecution to the New World. Many individuals hold both Christian and Midewin beliefs.

After horses, guns, and steel were introduced to the New World, Misia started expanding east into the plains, while the Aztecs started expanding north into Northern Mexico and east into Mayan lands. Due to the brutal nature of the Aztec's sacrificial practice, many people began converting to Christianity. Following a bloody civil war, the Christians overthrew the government and the Anawak Republic was born. Although it was originally a radical puritanical theocracy, it since transformed into a more secular state. The Mayans would gain independence only in modernity.

Alaska was formed as a result of Russian imperialism, although it was never really settled and remained native majority, mostly being used to trade furs. This would also be the case with the Lushootseeds and Kalapuyans further south, who would expand into the plateau against the nomadic tribes that had adopted the horse. Today, both countries are diverse developing nations largely propped up by the NAU in order to use their Pacific ports.

The Southwest was historically disunited due to the arid and mountainous terrain and the lack of horses until the Navajo Empire managed to conquer its neighbors once horses made their way to the region. As Misia and Anawak made their way towards the Southwest, the empire came to collapse into civil war. Both sides took land for themselves, mostly dividing it north and south. However, this territory was never assimilated, and both territories would gain independence in the modern era. The former Misian state was known as Ashipewahk, an ancient Misian exonym meaning "Cliff Land/Country" referring to the great cliffs and mountains and the Pueblo people who lived in them. The former Anawak state was called Aztlan, the legendary Nahuatl name for the lands to the northwest where the Aztec people originated. The borders of theses states, while following certain geographic markers, did not reflect the cultures within them, and so the political system quickly broke down. A Navajo dictatorship quickly became dominant in Aztlan, while the Nuchus (Utes) and Sosonis (Shoshones) fought for power in Ashipewahk. Eventually both countries fell into civil war. Ashipewahk was divided into Sosonia and Nuchua. In Aztlan, the Kutsan people, historically an independent, isolated, and united civilization based around the lower Colorado River and Delta like the Ancient Egyptians, rebelled and formed an independent state, which while relatively more stable than the other states, still became a corrupt dictatorship. All four countries are dictatorships with constant domestic strife and international tension. Misia typically has to deal with refugees come from their western border as a result.

California I have an idea for the lore but I haven't fully fleshed it out so I won't put anything here for now. I haven't decided if I want it to be a united state or a bunch of small ones or a battleground between Misia, Anawak, and Russia.

What would become Muisca land was conquered by the Incas, but eventually gained independence following the empire's decline.

All of the countries with their OTL names were founded through colonialism like OTL (including Colombia, which is now mostly Venezuela).

Hispanola was the first colony established by Spain under Columbus, who destroyed the native Kingdom of Ayiti and commit genocide against the local Taino population, although many would be able to flee as refugees. North America and the Inca Empire would eventually come to host Taino diasporas. The Taino managed to thrive in diaspora, becoming successful as merchants and bankers. This was especially useful in the Inca Empire, as their knowledge was applicable to the Incas who sought to transition from a centrally-planned economy to a market economy in order to modernize. In the late 19th Century, the Cayanist movement (from the Taino "Cay" meaning "island") sought to return the Tainos to their native homeland in the Caribbean, many of which were still controlled by Spain. The movement would go on to successfully establish the State of Ayiti, which would come to dominate the Hispanic state of Hispaniola. Today, Ayiti is a developed nation with close ties to the nations of the NAU, although there are many human rights concerns over their continued occupation of the remaining Hispaniolan territories. They tend to receive frequent condemnations from the Global League, with calls to withdraw their occupation and establish an independent Hispaniolan state (Essentially, Ayiti is is a Taino Israel, a state formed by an returning exiled indigenous people who commit numerous atrocities in rebuilding their homeland).

@JSilvy very nice forecast into 'contemporary' Misia-verse events! I find the Palestine-ish nature of Ayiti fascinating, though if current international opinion seems stacked against their run of the island I have to wonder if there's a Hispaniolan diaspora by modern day, and how big/spread out it'd be.

Any plans/ideas for the rest of South America?

@JSilvy very nice forecast into 'contemporary' Misia-verse events! I find the Palestine-ish nature of Ayiti fascinating, though if current international opinion seems stacked against their run of the island I have to wonder if there's a Hispaniolan diaspora by modern day, and how big/spread out it'd be.

Any plans/ideas for the rest of South America?
Yes, here are some other maps I created also featuring South America.
5AFBAD96-97A1-493F-9969-931D176CEB33.jpeg
C8FE2607-4A22-4272-B1CC-F087AC040AB1.jpeg
7B06B4D1-B1F8-452B-8A8D-F295132B46B3.jpeg
FFC76C04-8C9F-4B9E-80D3-D1B72D2C392A.jpeg

delrim4-dd8b4e56-882c-414d-a613-37634115016e.png

After defeating the obscure Roman Republic and subsequently conquering the Mediterranean, the Carthaginian Empire established by the Barcid dynasty lasted for almost a thousand years, and several more dynasties, spreading Punic culture north into the Celtic lands and south into Africa, where the trans-Saharan trade it fostered in turn spurred the rise of several more empires and kingdoms. But all empires must come to an end, and the Carthaginian Empire collapsed, the eastern half becoming the Palmyrene Empire while the western half collapsed under the pressure of barbarian invasions into a number of Berber and Germanic kingdoms.

After another couple centuries they were reunited, not by the successor kingdoms themselves but by the camel-riding Tuareg peoples of the deepest Sahara, under their warrior queen Tamenokalt, whose desire for control of the trans-Saharan trade led them to first conquer and unite the Kanuri, Hausa, Mande, and Serer kingdoms of the Sahel, and then to turn north and claim the former heartland of Carthage itself, securing Tamenokalt's place as one of history's great conquerors. Upon her death, Tamenokalt split the large and unwieldy empire into four subdivisions under her sons, united under the eldest in their homeland of Ahaggar, a scheme that would eventually result in the empire's unraveling but proved surprisingly durable for a century.

While the conquests were devastating--spurring many migrations of refugees, most notably of the Punic colonists that would found the future world power of Kna'an-Hadasht in South Hesperia--united and peaceful imperial rule soon brought about a new golden age of economic and cultural exchange across the Sahara--most importantly the spread of the monotheistic religion of Roogism, initially by the great marabout Jegaan, who walked across the desert from his Serer homeland to his martyrdom in Carthage. While no later empire would ever unite such a large territory on both sides of the Sahara again, the mazic Empire remained an important influence on later empires on either side, including the thalassocratic Tangerine Empire in the north and the crusading Jolophic Empire in the south.

Last edited:
Spanish colonization still occurs in most of Central America.
...which is no reason for the borders to be so close or what they name the places to be the same. These things are contingent and this isn't a case of butterflies, it's a goddamn Roc pooping all over the Spanish Conquista of the Americas.

The Hispaniolan diaspora lives mostly across other Hispanic Countries, with many also living across the NAU, where there is some degree of Hispanophobia. There is increasing support among the left for Hispaniola, but not quite to the same degree yet as Palestine OTL. In countries like Anawak, a Christian yet indigenous nation with a history of anti-Taino persecution, the left tends to be a bit more pro-Ayiti while the right is pro-Hispaniola, although there are exceptions. The eastern bit around Santo Domingo, or the Dominican Region, is full of Taino settlements chopping up Hispaniolan towns and villages, who are led by a corrupt Hispaniolan Authority (HA). The Western Cape is ruled by the Catholic militant group known as the La Fuerza Cristiana, more commonly referred to as “La Fuerza”.

Some more spoilery maps for my roughly-planned projection of Where the River Flows (tl link in signature).

View attachment 660413View attachment 660412

As mentioned in the previous post, Misia and the other countries of the Northeast are all quite developed nations in the modern era, and are economically and militarily tied through the NAU. Misia and Takamcook are constitutional monarchies (Takamcook's head of state is the British Crown) while the rest are republics. They are mostly religiously Midewin with significant Christian minorities (Takamcook is Christian majority) and even a Jewish minority that fled from persecution to the New World. Many individuals hold both Christian and Midewin beliefs.

After horses, guns, and steel were introduced to the New World, Misia started expanding east into the plains, while the Aztecs started expanding north into Northern Mexico and east into Mayan lands. Due to the brutal nature of the Aztec's sacrificial practice, many people began converting to Christianity. Following a bloody civil war, the Christians overthrew the government and the Anawak Republic was born. Although it was originally a radical puritanical theocracy, it since transformed into a more secular state. The Mayans would gain independence only in modernity.

Alaska was formed as a result of Russian imperialism, although it was never really settled and remained native majority, mostly being used to trade furs. This would also be the case with the Lushootseeds and Kalapuyans further south, who would expand into the plateau against the nomadic tribes that had adopted the horse. Today, both countries are diverse developing nations largely propped up by the NAU in order to use their Pacific ports.

The Southwest was historically disunited due to the arid and mountainous terrain and the lack of horses until the Navajo Empire managed to conquer its neighbors once horses made their way to the region. As Misia and Anawak made their way towards the Southwest, the empire came to collapse into civil war. Both sides took land for themselves, mostly dividing it north and south. However, this territory was never assimilated, and both territories would gain independence in the modern era. The former Misian state was known as Ashipewahk, an ancient Misian exonym meaning "Cliff Land/Country" referring to the great cliffs and mountains and the Pueblo people who lived in them. The former Anawak state was called Aztlan, the legendary Nahuatl name for the lands to the northwest where the Aztec people originated. The borders of theses states, while following certain geographic markers, did not reflect the cultures within them, and so the political system quickly broke down. A Navajo dictatorship quickly became dominant in Aztlan, while the Nuchus (Utes) and Sosonis (Shoshones) fought for power in Ashipewahk. Eventually both countries fell into civil war. Ashipewahk was divided into Sosonia and Nuchua. In Aztlan, the Kutsan people, historically an independent, isolated, and united civilization based around the lower Colorado River and Delta like the Ancient Egyptians, rebelled and formed an independent state, which while relatively more stable than the other states, still became a corrupt dictatorship. All four countries are dictatorships with constant domestic strife and international tension. Misia typically has to deal with refugees come from their western border as a result.

California I have an idea for the lore but I haven't fully fleshed it out so I won't put anything here for now. I haven't decided if I want it to be a united state or a bunch of small ones or a battleground between Misia, Anawak, and Russia.

What would become Muisca land was conquered by the Incas, but eventually gained independence following the empire's decline.

All of the countries with their OTL names were founded through colonialism like OTL (including Colombia, which is now mostly Venezuela).

Hispanola was the first colony established by Spain under Columbus, who destroyed the native Kingdom of Ayiti and commit genocide against the local Taino population, although many would be able to flee as refugees. North America and the Inca Empire would eventually come to host Taino diasporas. The Taino managed to thrive in diaspora, becoming successful as merchants and bankers. This was especially useful in the Inca Empire, as their knowledge was applicable to the Incas who sought to transition from a centrally-planned economy to a market economy in order to modernize. In the late 19th Century, the Cayanist movement (from the Taino "Cay" meaning "island") sought to return the Tainos to their native homeland in the Caribbean, many of which were still controlled by Spain. The movement would go on to successfully establish the State of Ayiti, which would come to dominate the Hispanic state of Hispaniola. Today, Ayiti is a developed nation with close ties to the nations of the NAU, although there are many human rights concerns over their continued occupation of the remaining Hispaniolan territories. They tend to receive frequent condemnations from the Global League, with calls to withdraw their occupation and establish an independent Hispaniolan state (Essentially, Ayiti is is a Taino Israel, a state formed by an returning exiled indigenous people who commit numerous atrocities in rebuilding their homeland).
Very interesting scenario - I like the map. I kind of doubt so much of North America would remain uncolonized except for Newfoundland, but I suppose it's possible with an early enough POD. What's the year of the map anyways? Oh, and what's keeping Ayiti afloat? Doesn't seem like it'd be much of a match for the Global League. Do they get support from Misia? Now, that would keep with the parallelisms, assuming Misia is the US-equivalent 😀

...which is no reason for the borders to be so close or what they name the places to be the same. These things are contingent and this isn't a case of butterflies, it's a goddamn Roc pooping all over the Spanish Conquista of the Americas.
I get your point, but isn't it possible for the names and the borders to have metastatized exactly the same as OTL by complete coincidence?

Given one specific point of divergence, there is a virtually near-infinite number of TLs that could be the result of said POD... each not particularly any more likely than the other. I personally don't really see a problem with using OTL's names and borders for the sake of an easier job making a map. Admittedly, I'm not a map-maker, so I suppose I might not be experienced enough to see why it's wrong.

Crossposted from Vider Avan i Sur, my new FHTL:
dagestan.png

Map of Dagestan with the Autonomous Regions highlighted
Dagestan is one of the 45 states of the United States of Europe, located in the Caucasus region and the Russian Rim. Uniquely, Dagestan has no single working language; all statewide business is done in Simplified English or Russian (the former being preferred due to the USE government's de-Russianization policies). The state is covered entirely by ten Autonomous Regions - Agul AR, Avar AR, Azeri AR, Dargin AR, Kumyk AR, Lak AR, Lezgin AR, Nogai AR, Rutul AR, and Tabasaran AR - , each having their own official language; there are also dozens of smaller languages that have no official status, including Chechen, Tat and Tshakur. The state is nicknamed "The Rainbow State" due to its large diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.