Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 616420
Spent the better part of a week on this. The basic idea is that the Boston Massacre is worse, which leads to more radicalization on the part of the Americans. The Revolutionary War is thus more radical, with the southern states remaining only loosely aligned to the Continental Congress, which is firmly controlled by the Sons of Liberty (and its leaders, Patrick Henry and Sam Adams). America wins its independence, sans the south and some of the west, while loyalists are purged (as are 'Monarchists' like Hamilton and John Jay). Ultimately, Aaron Burr leads a coup with the backing of businessmen and merchants and America stabilizes into a democracy with a strong executive.
What happened to Florida? Did East Florida get given to Spain, with Britain keeping West Florida?

View attachment 616426

Hey, so this map is related to my TL Les Années Douces, it's how I envision the US in the 1987. This map doesn't show Native Territories which are sorts of solf-governing regions (like reservations++)
These are all the 55 states of the United States of America (thus sending two Senators each). I'm not entirely sure about Anasazi so if you have other suggestions I'd take them gladly.
IT RETURNS!

IT RETURNS!
Well, I'm going back to class tomorrow after a two-weeks long recovery from an autistic meltdown, so I made this as a way to ... in a way, just have a task that was rewarding to accomplish. I hope I'll be able to produce more stuff for this TL because it actually never completely leaves the back of my head, but the return of this TL as a regularly updated thread will take a bit long ... thank you for your enthusiasm, it means a lot :extremelyhappy:

the optics the map should have been 100% okay

Well, here I am posting again because the conversation hasn't ended.

First I want to clarify I am female. Thanks.

Second, the map wasn't intended to be a world map but only of part of the world. So it wasn't trying to say anything about the Americas.

Third, what was wrong about my 'what if' here was that I didn't think about that I was posting it in the middle of an already existing conversation about erasure of African history. I don't think that excuses it, which is why I deleted it and thanked those who critiqued it for pointing that out.

More progress on 1453 fully accurate Q-BAM (Working on Hungarian internals)
1610664027155.png

My poor map of my Islamic Ethiopia TL, "The Abridged History of Al-Habashah: Islamic Ethiopia", during the mid-16th century when Habashah is going full Gunpowder Emprie across eastern Africa.

. As you can see we have Habashah proper directly ruled by the Emperor in Great Barara - including a small portion across the straits which is directly apart of Imperial rule. The Arab Vassalages are the oldest held by the Habashabs, but the southern and western vassalages are much more recent additions as a result of the Habashab-Portuguese War. Their holdings going north extends as far north as Aswan before it hits Ottoman Egypt. While the territory looks large on paper you should remember much of the territory consists of deserts and mountain ranges that have lead to the largest population centers being located on the coasts or in the northern provinces.

Due to the POD the Oromo Migration of the 16th century never manifested as a result much of the territory surrounding and to the west of Great Barara (Addis Ababa) remains Ahmara-Tigrayan speaking (the mix of Ahmara, Tigray, and splashed with Arabic as a result of the POD). Oromo is still spoken south of the Great Divide budding up against the Nilotic speaking peoples of western Kenya - with Somali of course dominating the east.
1610668383325.png

428E45B5-FEAB-487F-9119-8451B9B681F3.png
Revamp of my earlier post, no racism is or was EVER intended.
Africa has not collapsed, but grown to near the heights of the EU, China has not been the target of a coalition, Latin America is not fully unified, the Arab States have mostly unified, so has Central Asia. Japan is a futuristic techno-State, bright lights everywhere, robots, hovercraft, holograms, it’s a place where innovation is king.

The United Staits of America

decaoy5-cf5d3746-ec17-4c4c-8381-73df9e421553.png

The modern day U.S. in the Forgotten No More-verse, with the map itself being written in what is known in this TL as American Standard English (A.S.E.). The push for reformation and a strict departure from the spelling structure of British English was driven by significantly more hostile relations between the U.S. and Great Britain than OTL. The effects of the ASE can be seen not only in the writing of the map in places like the table of contents, but also in the names of most cities, which by 2021 have adopted official spelling changes to match ASE standards. This is not uniform, however, and some places have held on to their traditional spellings.

The ASE is the predominant spelling standard in most of the states in the present day, though there are exceptions. Though the state of Newfoundland & Labrador did adopt an official spelling change, as shown above, the State Constitution has always protected the Oxford Style (a standardized British English) and most Neufaunlanders (ASE) would spell it Newfoundland. In the state of Eustis, though the majority of the state is proficient in ASE, a large segment of the population on Alexandrea Island are also proficient in and prefer the Oxford Style.

The country is divided into 51 states and four territories. The most populous state is Eest Florida, while the least populous state is Glazeor. The ten largest cities are, in order:

1) Chicago, WA;
2) Neu York Citee, NY;
3) Brucklin, NY;
4) Lawentz, OH;
5) Greater Queens, NY;
6) Tempa, EF;
7) Si'al, JM;
8) Filadelfea, PA
9) Toronto, HU
10) Uneon Citee, D.C.

Some in this TL's US refer to the current federal government as the Third Republic, accounting for the first, under the Articles of Confederation, the second, the First Constitution; and the third, under the governing Second Constitution. After a civil conflict in the 1920s, the leading politicians of the time who emerged from this conflict organized a new Constitutional Convention as a means of righting the ship. Some of its major changes involved the restructuring of the Senate into a largely passive role, delegating a larger share of the legislative functions to the House of Representatives. The House also adopted a mixed-proportional districting scheme, where-in each state would have equal shares of FPTP and corrective seats. Another key change was the separation of the judicial branch into its own quasi-branch, almost entirely beholden to the Supreme Court, but with a degree of autonomy and executive functionality and duties.

The major sports watched by TTL Americans would be taunsbal, akin to what we would call baseball; barolbal, akin to basketball; stix, akin to hockey/ice hockey; and gridiron, akin to rugby and American tackle football.​

Glazior seems to have a zero for an O. And the spelling reform makes me want to run screaming into the night. But the map is great and the scenario remains really cool. I just hope that zero is an accident and not the beginning of the 53c0nd w4v3 0f r3f0rm5...

Glazior seems to have a zero for an O. And the spelling reform makes me want to run screaming into the night. But the map is great and the scenario remains really cool. I just hope that zero is an accident and not the beginning of the 53c0nd w4v3 0f r3f0rm5...

+1

It's a cool map and scenario indeed.

Th3 sp311ing is 4wfu1 th0gh.

Northstar

What does mean the dotted line of Russian and European colors on the borders of Ukraine? Joint influence of Europe and Russia? And similar question about lines in Finland and Caucasus.
For Ukraine, it is protected by the EU, and Russia claims all of it.
Russia’s claims on Finland and the Kavkaz.

I’m thinking Russia is ruled by a Vladimir Putin III, unofficial Monarchy, like DPRK, but not communist.

For Ukraine, it is protected by the EU, and Russia claims all of it.
Russia’s claims on Finland and the Kavkaz.

I’m thinking Russia is ruled by a Vladimir Putin III, unofficial Monarchy, like DPRK, but not communist.
Hmm, I can understand claims for territory of Ukraine, but why put forward claims for small parts of Finland? It is pointless.
And Tsar Vladimir Putin III made me laugh, thank you. As a russian, I can say that idea of a hereditary monarchy is extremely unpopular in russian society and is promoted only in marginal circles. And Putin knows this very well. Near-nationalist and communist (or stalinist) ideas find much more support in Russia, although the overwhelming majority of citizens are simply moderately conservative.

Last edited:
Crossposting from the MotM contest

cyvVhiV.png
xXw5CKZ.png

I can't think of anything to write attached to this, so I'll just go ahead and give some words OOC.

Well, it's a take on 1984, in case anyone didn't get it. Eurasia but it is utopian (or at least seems to be, there's a reason I decided to leave this as only official pieces of propaganda by the Eurasian government). Just beyond the British shores, there's a large, unassailable land where people like Winston would be welcomed and live freely, not having to feel the permanent eye of Big Brother upon them. It's an idea I had been having for a while (as was the idea of drawing a pan-European Soviet state from Moscow), so I took this opportunity + the extra time, since I knew it'd take longer than the usual two weeks, so call it the perfect storm.

Beyond the setting itself... this was a new take on geography for me, I hope it turned out well, I personally really like some places (like the Alps), while others leave me more uncertain. But at least it is something I hadn't tried before. The rivers also look nice, I think.

Anyway, hope people enjoy this setting just as much as I enjoyed doing it!

cyvVhiV.png
xXw5CKZ.png

I can't think of anything to write attached to this, so I'll just go ahead and give some words OOC.

Well, it's a take on 1984, in case anyone didn't get it. Eurasia but it is utopian (or at least seems to be, there's a reason I decided to leave this as only official pieces of propaganda by the Eurasian government). Just beyond the British shores, there's a large, unassailable land where people like Winston would be welcomed and live freely, not having to feel the permanent eye of Big Brother upon them. It's an idea I had been having for a while (as was the idea of drawing a pan-European Soviet state from Moscow), so I took this opportunity + the extra time, since I knew it'd take longer than the usual two weeks, so call it the perfect storm.

Beyond the setting itself... this was a new take on geography for me, I hope it turned out well, I personally really like some places (like the Alps), while others leave me more uncertain. But at least it is something I hadn't tried before. The rivers also look nice, I think.

You have a typo on 6.
You said that "the drive of humans to create is fully celebrated and encouraged in Oceania"
I am pretty sure you mean Eurasia

Last edited:
Now I wonder why before no one has come up with such an interpretation of 1984 world? Hmm, maybe because very few people can imagine the Soviets as "good guys".

cyvVhiV.png
xXw5CKZ.png

This is awesome, very great presentation, I'm jealous (I also was working on a map with nearly the same projection and style but it probably would have been much less interesting in term of scenario) , I imagine these being distributed on the beaches of normandy by volunteers lol, great interpretation of 1984's eurasia

Last edited:
“Defend our values” has me skeptical that this is a utopia. Maybe it’s just Oceania in woke paint; in being intolerant of intolerance (which is a good idea tbf) they commit similar atrocities as their rivals. The “never been at war with Oceania” part is also suspicious to me—who’s to say that they won’t change that in the future, like how alliances retroactively change in Oceania?

Or maybe I’m so utterly without faith and hope in humanity that I just can’t believe that true goodness can exist on a large scale.

I don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.