Map of the Month 8: The World Turned Upside Down

Map of the Month 8: The World Turned Upside Down

The Challenge

Make a map that is oriented in some way other than with north at the top.

The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
____

Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Monday, February 1, 2021! (Extended by a week)
____

PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES TO THE MAIN THREAD.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post.

Remember to vote on MotF 229!

Last edited:
cyvVhiV.png
xXw5CKZ.png

I can't think of anything to write attached to this, so I'll just go ahead and give some words OOC.

Well, it's a take on 1984, in case anyone didn't get it. Eurasia but it is utopian (or at least seems to be, there's a reason I decided to leave this as only official pieces of propaganda by the Eurasian government). Just beyond the British shores, there's a large, unassailable land where people like Winston would be welcomed and live freely, not having to feel the permanent eye of Big Brother upon them. It's an idea I had been having for a while (as was the idea of drawing a pan-European Soviet state from Moscow), so I took this opportunity + the extra time, since I knew it'd take longer than the usual two weeks, so call it the perfect storm.

Beyond the setting itself... this was a new take on geography for me, I hope it turned out well, I personally really like some places (like the Alps), while others leave me more uncertain. But at least it is something I hadn't tried before. The rivers also look nice, I think.

Anyway, hope people enjoy this setting just as much as I enjoyed doing it!

antarcticanewp.png

Excerpt from A Cartographical History of the World, published 2061

The Scramble for Antarctica: The Colonisation of the Virgin Continent​

Whilst Europe was busy colonising and exploiting the Americas, Africa, parts of Asia and Oceania, there left one continent untouched and unexploited: Antarctica. Whilst a vast southern continent was theorised to exist since classical times, it would remain unseen until 1820, when a Russian expedition led by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen caught a glimpse of the icy landmass, and untouched until one year later when American sealer John Davis set foot on it. The 1900s and 1910s, the "Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration", saw many expeditions attempting to reach the South Pole, many failing; the first success was achieved by the Norwegian Roald Amundsen and crew in 1911, winning a race against the British Robert Falcon Scott, whose party all died on the return trip. Whilst many nations had been laying claim to sectors of Antarctica to protect whaling and sealing rights, the 1959 Antarctic Treaty set aside the continent for scientific research and prohibited any permanent settlement and military activity.

Come 2048, and the Antarctic Treaty expired. A lot had changed in that 89 years; the rise of China, India and other Asian powers; the disintegration of the British Emipre; the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War; wars in Vietnam, the Balkans, the Middle East, America and India; the collapse of the United States as the sole world hegemon; unification in Europe; computers transforming from room-filling calculators to pocket machines more powerful than all 10 billion of us combined; even men and women taking steps on the Moon and Mars. Yet most critically, we've also pumped carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere in quantities large enough to heat up the Earth by a few degrees. Among others, this has had the side effect of melting the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps melt, enough to make polar regions slightly more habitable (in exchange for making sea levels rise slightly everywhere else). And as the glaciers retreated, more opportunities would have opened for colonisation of the great not-so-white south, were it not for the Antarctic Treaty. Colonising Antarctica is something some nations would rush to do at the first moment possible, and many others would sooner or later take advantage of. So when the Antarctic Treaty expired, many aspiring powers leapt at the chance.
  • Argentina was one of the first to move people to the continent, having a prime position (being given the Falklands and other British sub-Antarctic islands after the dissolution of the British monarchy) and many research bases well-prepared to house people for long periods of time. Argentina currently controls the South Orkney Islands, the eastern coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, San Martin base on the western side, and parts of the Luitpold Coast.
  • Chile is similar to Argentina; in fact Chile was the first to allow permanent settlement in Antarctica. Chile controls the South Shetland Islands (including the town of Eduardo Frei-Bellingshausen, an amalgamation of multiple bases on King George Island and Antarctica's most populous settlement), the western coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, and a minor strip in Ellsworth Land.
  • Uruguay and Cisplatina are minor powers trying to get in on the Antarctic game, with colonies on islands in the Ronne Sea.
  • Norway never bothered with colonising Antarctica, and only control the uninhabited Peter I Island.
  • England, having lost all of its existing colonies, looked into Antarctica to regain prestige. With the South Orkneys, South Shetlands and Graham Land already taken by Chile or Argentina, they were left with Adelaide Island off the Antarctic Peninsula and part of Coats Land.
  • The United States of Europe inherited the research stations of multiple European nations, including German bases in Queen Maud Land and French bases in Adélie Land. More colonies have since been built in the deglaciated parts of George V Land.
  • India and China are relative newcomers to the Antarctic game, but they're determined to conquer the continent. India controls some parts of Queen Maud Land, including Maitri Station which has significant Brahui and Rohingya immigrant populations, while China controls some stations in East Antarctica.
  • Japan, after already filling Sakhalin with otakus, is eyeing off Antarctica to boost its falling population. Japan controls a part of Enderby Land.
  • Russia, humiliated twice, is also looking south to get back up onto the international stage. Russia controls some land by the Amery Gulf, part of Queen Mary Land, and the western tip of Edward VII Land.
  • Australia, already having the largest swathe of Antarctica in their arms with the Treaty, could afford to send out settlers over a wide portion of East Antarctica.
  • New Zealand hit the metaphorical jackpot by taking control of the important McMurdo Station, now the second-most populous in Antarctica, formerly an American possession. New Zealand controls the coast of Victoria Land and some sub-Antarctic islands elsewhere.
  • Canada and Pacifica took up America's slack after it crumbled in the Second Civil War, including in Antarctic colonisation. Both are exploiting new coastal land opened up by glaciers melting into lakes and connecting with the ocean; Canada in western Ellsworth Land, Pacifica in eastern Marie Byrd Land.
  • To prevent disputes over the South Pole, the United Nations asserted control over the South Pole and all territories below 85°S. The UN also constructed the port settlement of Neu Framheim (named after Amundsen's original landing site) on the Ross Sea to provide supplies.
Other nations have expressed interest in colonising Antarctica, including America, Peru, Grão Para, Brazil, Nigeria, South Africa, East Africa, the Baghdad Accord, Indonesia and Korea, but they are yet to stake any claims.