Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankfurt sounds good. I assume the Rhine valley would become the the central region of the empire as time passes. Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle is a possible choice as it was Charlemagne's seat of power and it's close to the Rhine. Metz could also be a good choice as it's more centrally located geographically than Aachen. I also like the idea of multiple capitals (like a ceremonial capital in Aachen and a legislative capital in Frankfurt for example), or no official capital, just wherever the emperor resides becomes the capital.
Oh snap. I thought you were talking about my Germany map. No the capitals for that Frankish Empire map would probably have three candidates in the form of Lyon, Paris, and Aachen.

Why would the capital be outside the royal domain?
Otherwise I think the capital on the Rhine would be a good idea. Probably in the Strasbourg area.
I was referring to the other Germany map I posted for the Federal German Empire.

The Royal domain likely means that over time, the capital likely shifts toward Paris, and maybe Lyon when the Emperor gets involved in Italian affairs.

Outside of the grammatical errors It looks neat.
Thanks!

A crosspost from MotF 226 - I don't have access to a computer with Paint at the moment, so I did the next best thing I could on a low budget.

View attachment 594595
[The Haven of Umbar, a child's map, annotated in Adûnaic glyphs]

"We are the heirs to Ar-Pharazôn, the true heirs to Anadûnê, not those up-jumped traitors to the north! What have the Avalôi ever done for us besides bring ruin and devastation? Zigûrun was right, Death is the Doom of Men, ordained to us by the Avalôi! And if the Avalôi won't grant us reprieve, then Zigûrun will! Let us bring the Doom of Men down upon the so-called Faithful, and see how they like to bear the punishment of Anadûnê, that which they escaped from!"
- Diarch Ar-Murazôr, bearer of the First of the Nine Rings, 110 years since hi-Akallabêth, speaking on the "Summons of Sauron to his Servants"

"... the city of Umbar, the Corsair Haven or so it is popularly named, has been a thorn in Gondor's side ever since the Downfall, moreso now that Castamir's heirs have secluded themselves there. I suspect they are planning a major raid upon our lands, the likes of which we have not seen since the Kin-strife. I urge you, my king, to travel to Pelargir, and ensure the safety of Gondor's second city as well as our fleet stationed there. If we are caught unawares, it could be disastrous..."
- Steward Belecthor to King Minardil of Gondor, TA 1633

"Though I have destroyed the Corsair fleet twice in my life, once as Thorongil and once as Aragorn, they will remain a threat so long as Umbar itself stands independent. I have reunited the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor, and now I must take Umbar to truly restore the Realm of the Exiles of Númenór . As such - Prince Imrahil, I delegate to you ten thousand riders to secure the hinterland and prevent the Haradrim from providing reinforcements. Lord Angbor, take our fleets and blockade the harbor as tightly as you can, so that even a hobbit with a Ring of Power could not get through. Prince Faramir, you will go with me and the royal host of thirty thousands - we will concentrate our attacks on the southward side of the main city between the Star-Pillar and the Jewel-Pillar, for there I know there is weakness in the walls. Go forth my captains, and let victory be with us! For Minardil!"
- King Elessar Telcontar of the Reunited Kingdom to his chief captains during the preparations for the Great Siege of Umbar, FA 15

"Ah, Umbar, Umbar! City of Exiles, Heir to the Golden, Master of the Great Sea! When will our time come, to restore the power of that which is downfallen, and bring ruin upon the stonelanders?"
- Popular lament heard in the streets after Thorongil's burning of the Umbarim Fleet

Last edited:
Red Europe 22.png

My take on the generic 'What if Operation Overlord failed?' scenario.

View attachment 594746
My take on the generic 'What if Operation Overlord failed?' scenario.
I didn't think Invasion of Normandy PODs were common enough (on this site, at least) to be "generic," but, alright. looks like what happened is the Western Allies catastrophically failed, giving the USSR the chance to destroy the Third Reich and advance all the way to the Pyrenees. what I don't get most of all is that France is divided; considering the USSR and Free France were allies, surely the Soviets attempting to set up a rival French government would be a grave betrayal and an act of war against the rest of the United Nations. it makes even less sense if it was the result of a civil war after the end of WWII, since at that point nukes are in play.

I didn't think Invasion of Normandy PODs were common enough (on this site, at least) to be "generic," but, alright. looks like what happened is the Western Allies catastrophically failed, giving the USSR the chance to destroy the Third Reich and advance all the way to the Pyrenees. what I don't get most of all is that France is divided; considering the USSR and Free France were allies, surely the Soviets attempting to set up a rival French government would be a grave betrayal and an act of war against the rest of the United Nations. it makes even less sense if it was the result of a civil war after the end of WWII, since at that point nukes are in play.

I agree, the complete takeover of France is extremely ASB, quite frankly unrealistic. But to be honest I just enjoyed the thought of France being smol

Post scriptum : I know I shouldn't be asking near but in maps requests but I hope it's not a problem if I try again here. I am doing my timeline and I need the maps before I continue with the timeline I'm working on, it kinda requires lots of detail similar to @mdc_1957 map. The reason is that territories, countries and details will be almost unnoticeable on a normal or regular QBAM map.
I would do them myself but I only have a tablet I barely know how to use (despite being born in the '90s I know s*** on how to use a computer or other similar technology) and I am in an Erasmus program so it will be very difficult for me to make anything especially this timeline.

@Prussian Militarism I'm actually doing a scenario that shares in a way your premise, Alto mine has many more points of divergence. How did the Czechoslovakian republic stayed independent?

Essentially after the failure of D-Day the allies decide to try again in the Balkans. They end up heading north and after the liberation of Czechoslovakia and Southern Germany they attempt to encircle France so as to 'Liberate it later'. This ends up being a bit of a failure haha

Post scriptum : I know I shouldn't be asking near but in maps requests but I hope it's not a problem if I try again here. I am doing my timeline and I need the maps before I continue with the timeline I'm working on, it kinda requires lots of detail similar to @mdc_1957 map. The reason is that territories, countries and details will be almost unnoticeable on a normal or regular QBAM map.
I would do them myself but I only have a tablet I barely know how to use (despite being born in the '90s I know s*** on how to use a computer or other similar technology) and I am in an Erasmus program so it will be very difficult for me to make anything especially this timeline.

I'm curious, what's this timeline you have in mind?

I'm curious, what's this timeline you have in mind?

It is started with a basic (for me at least)premise: how the "South" of the world could be... Less shitty?

There are quite a few PODs actually, the two I wrote about so far are : the creation of Israel a decade earlier, the anti-German Romanian Prime Minister doesn't gent assassinated and so Nazi Germany invades Romania (which becomes a Reichkomissariat) consecutively it makes Stalin realize Hitler is both stupid and insane, a less successful Dunkirk for the Allies, the plane in which De Gaulle fled France gets shot down and a more successful Franco-Thai War... For the Thais of course, the USA priority is Japan instead of Germany, also Turkey joins the Axis thanks to a far right officers clique.

There is also a few more countries that are reborn from the ashes Phoenix-like.

Here is the link. @Prussian Militarism would you be interested in helping me?

It is started with a basic (for me at least)premise: how the "South" of the world could be... Less shitty?

There are quite a few PODs actually, the two I wrote about so far are : the creation of Israel a decade earlier, the anti-German Romanian Prime Minister doesn't gent assassinated and so Nazi Germany invades Romania (which becomes a Reichkomissariat) consecutively it makes Stalin realize Hitler is both stupid and insane, a less successful Dunkirk for the Allies, the plane in which De Gaulle fled France gets shot down and a more successful Franco-Thai War... For the Thais of course, the USA priority is Japan instead of Germany, also Turkey joins the Axis thanks to a far right officers clique.

There is also a few more countries that are reborn from the ashes Phoenix-like.

Here is the link. @Prussian Militarism would you be interested in helping me?

@Prussian Militarism ok there are more than two. Sorry got carried away x'D:biggrin:

If it helps, try looking up G.Projector.win. It should let you save some varied map references. Though the rest would have to be done with something like Photoshop or Paint.net.

If it helps, try looking up G.Projector.win. It should let you save some varied map references. Though the rest would have to be done with something like Photoshop or Paint.net.

@mdc_1957 I have tried with GProjector but with the tablet I am using it's a mess and almost an odyssey. That is why I a previously asked and tagged you here to know if you could help/assist me.

View attachment 594761
The aftermath of the Sandwich War ( aka Second Great War).
The Balkan and Slavic countries unite in the Intermarium in the Interwar Period under the leadership of the Kingdom of Poland-Romania.
War starts because of German, Italian and Hungarian irredentist claims against Intermarium. Spain joins the fascist side.
The Soviets try to profit. The Western Allies barge in to protect the status quo.

Not seen on the map: Japanese and Soviets versus Chinese and the US.
That may be the laziest map I've ever seen. Why the "Third Reich" looks exactly like modern Germany? One would expect a Nazi or Nazi Equivalent German regime would at least take Alsace-Lorraine, or Sudetenland or both. Why does Intermarium includes Greece, Okay for Bulgary, Okay for Yugoslavia, but GREECE? And, speaking of Yugoslavia, why the border of Istria is the current Italian Republic border, I would expect a Fascist Italy would want Istria in the same way Germany would want Alsace-Lorraine. In the end, the only serious edit you've done to the map was to cancel Eastern Europe's borders, as well as those between Ulster and Eire, except you did a poor job in Eire, the northern Ulster border is still there

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
That may be the laziest map I've ever seen. Why the "Third Reich" looks exactly like modern Germany? One would expect a Nazi or Nazi Equivalent German regime would at least take Alsace-Lorraine, or Sudetenland or both. Why does Intermarium includes Greece, Okay for Bulgary, Okay for Yugoslavia, but GREECE? And, speaking of Yugoslavia, why the border of Istria is the current Italian Republic border, I would expect a Fascist Italy would want Istria in the same way Germany would want Alsace-Lorraine. In the end, the only serious edit you've done to the map was to cancel Eastern Europe's borders, as well as those between Ulster and Eire, except you did a poor job in Eire, the northern Ulster border is still there
While constructive criticism is a given here, this isn't constructive.

View attachment 594761
The aftermath of the Sandwich War ( aka Second Great War).
The Balkan and Slavic countries unite in the Intermarium in the Interwar Period under the leadership of the Kingdom of Poland-Romania.
War starts because of German, Italian and Hungarian irredentist claims against Intermarium. Spain joins the fascist side.
The Soviets try to profit. The Western Allies barge in to protect the status quo.

Not seen on the map: Japanese and Soviets versus Chinese and the US.

It is true that if you had put the borders of that time, or other alternate borders that look like it, that would have been better, if I may say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.