Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some maps for my TL I made after I got really, excessively carried away in making a few. They depict, in order, Europe in 1760, the North Sea Empire (mostly), the Atlantic colonies, and the Caribbean.

jJReVrG.png

F22AQ7y.jpg

VtORiae.jpg

QQBXgWn.png

Skallagrim

Banned
Time had simply come to a halt across South America. Everything and everyone there had stopped, experiencing that one tiny moment of time for all eternity. The first Panamanians who crossed into Colombia discovered too late that anyone who tried to enter South America would freeze, too, suspended in time mere centimeters from the border that would have been their salvation, and those that tried to save them discovered the same thing.

Okay, hold on. Maybe I'm overthinking this (narrator voice: "He was definitely overthinking this") but it strikes me that something is really weird here. I mean... besides the obvious. People who enter freeze, but only when touching the ground. But wouldn't they walk in, one foot before the others -- as one tends to walk -- thus touching the ground "inside" before even coming fully into the "zone"? wouldn't half of their bodies be still outside its area when they become frozen? If so, wouldn't others be able to just grab them by the collar and pull them back?

Even if the effect only kicks in once you entire body crosses into the affected area... it only takes effect if you touch the ground. So someone just outside could just reach out with his arm, never setting foot in the affected area, and still pull back the poor frozen bastard (who's only a few centimetres away, after all). If reaching in with your arm is too scary, hook-shaped objects fortunately exist...

I mean, this would be worth doing if only to find out what (if anything) someone who's been inside there experienced.

Found this map of Romanitas on the homepage:

map_romanitas.jpg

(For those not in the knowing: Romanitas is "chicklit" before a "Rome survives and conquers half the world" background. Yeah, it's not up to our levels - Thule, Alania and Scythia are provinces, and all of India makes just one?)

keiser1936_by_filobeche-dcr6vih.png

The central powers won the war, probably in 1918 and without american involvement.Italy entered in the war, at german side, when it was promised to recive spoils of french Africa.To prevent Germany to take over french colonial possessions in new world, Usa occupied, or buyed, many island and archipelagoes from Paris.Russia collapsed, but German, Italian and American armies, aided Kerensky and the Russian whites, to win the war.
Austria collapsed too, and was partly annexd by Italy and part from Germany; Hungary gained indipendency and become the policeman of balkans.
Kemal Pasha lead a coup against the Sultan, and took control of lands with a majority of Turkish(or Kurdish) people, leaving arabs alone.Italy and Germany filled the vacuum, occuping near east.
England escaped almost untauched and retained its empire almost untouched.Germany, obviusly, was the greateast power in Europe.In 1936 the world is again on the verge of a new engagement.
United States experienced a syndacilist-communist revolution, early in 30s, as conseguence of the crash of Wallstreet.
Altrought not vicious as the shortlived russian one, the revolution made a lot of damages.
A brief(but bloody) civil war, a massive(but relatively unbloody) purge of unwanted elements(mainly exiled in pacific islands and Rockyes tows), some wars in Central America, and the loss of Philippines to Japan (Self-stiled policeman of Pacific Ocean).
The new American Syndacalist States are bilding up military along Canada borders, increasing navy looking for an engagement with Japan and foster syndacalism and revolution in Ireland, Greatbretain and France.

Nobody knew how or why it happened. It still hasn't been figured out, over fifty years later. All anybody knows is that one day, everything in South America just... stopped.

The problem wasn't figured out immediately. When all the TV signals from South America froze, sending the same frame and the same fraction of a second of audio over and over, nobody knew why. When all websites hosted in South America froze as well, nobody knew why. It wasn't until the first images and videos from the border between Panama and Colombia started to appear on the Internet that people started to realize what had happened, and by the time the satellite images of South America came in, the horrifying reality was already confirmed.

Time had simply come to a halt across South America. Everything and everyone there had stopped, experiencing that one tiny moment of time for all eternity. The first Panamanians who crossed into Colombia discovered too late that anyone who tried to enter South America would freeze, too, suspended in time mere centimeters from the border that would have been their salvation, and those that tried to save them discovered the same thing.

The revelation of the South American Paralysis, as it came to be called, was greeted with shock and panic by the rest of the world. Panama attempted to shift everyone living near the border several miles away, just in case, and there was a brief refugee crisis as terrified Central Americans fled north into Mexico and the United States, fearing that they would be next. The revelation that you had to actually make contact with the South American landmass to be frozen led to ships docked in harbors across South America and in the many lakes and rivers throughout the continent fleeing to safer shores with tales of everything around them just coming to a halt. South America was quarantined, with ships restricted from coming anywhere near the continent (despite the only risk being if they touched the land) and planes forbidden from flying over it.

It's been nearly fifty years since the Paralysis, and the world is a drastically changed place. South America remains halted, and it looks like it will continue to be halted into the foreseeable future. The world eyes South America nervously (or hopefully, in the case of some of the cults that sprung up following the Paralysis), dreading the possibility that they might wake up and discover that yet another continent has been Paralyzed.

Yet South America hasn't changed at all- a continent of over four hundred million inhabitants, still perpetually living that one fraction of a millisecond for almost half a century now, unaware of how the rest of the world has been changed in the wake of their paralysis. It's like the saying goes, after all:

"Nothing happens in South America."

View attachment 418280
This is absolutely the creepiest thing that i ever read about my home continent (and thanks for freezing me in t*freezes*

Found this map of Romanitas on the homepage:

View attachment 418328

(For those not in the knowing: Romanitas is "chicklit" before a "Rome survives and conquers half the world" background. Yeah, it's not up to our levels - Thule, Alania and Scythia are provinces, and all of India makes just one?)
I don't care if it's not up to our levels, that is one of the most beautiful maps I have ever seen. For the glory of Rome!

Okay, hold on. Maybe I'm overthinking this (narrator voice: "He was definitely overthinking this") but it strikes me that something is really weird here. I mean... besides the obvious. People who enter freeze, but only when touching the ground. But wouldn't they walk in, one foot before the others -- as one tends to walk -- thus touching the ground "inside" before even coming fully into the "zone"? wouldn't half of their bodies be still outside its area when they become frozen? If so, wouldn't others be able to just grab them by the collar and pull them back?

Even if the effect only kicks in once you entire body crosses into the affected area... it only takes effect if you touch the ground. So someone just outside could just reach out with his arm, never setting foot in the affected area, and still pull back the poor frozen bastard (who's only a few centimetres away, after all). If reaching in with your arm is too scary, hook-shaped objects fortunately exist...

I mean, this would be worth doing if only to find out what (if anything) someone who's been inside there experienced.

It's entirely possible for people to be frozen with just one foot on the landmass, and there have been many cases where people have tried to reach in and pull other people out of South America. However, trying to grab them and drag them out is impossible because the two of you are moving at a completely different speed, time-wise. You can pull all you want, but they won't move an inch. It's like trying to reach out the window of a plane moving at several thousand miles an hour over the Himalayas and rip off the top of Mount Everest with your bare hands, minus the risk of having your arms torn off.

...well, alright, the analogy doesn't quite work, but it should be close enough for you to get what I'm trying to say.

Nobody knew how or why it happened. It still hasn't been figured out, over fifty years later. All anybody knows is that one day, everything in South America just... stopped.

The problem wasn't figured out immediately. When all the TV signals from South America froze, sending the same frame and the same fraction of a second of audio over and over, nobody knew why. When all websites hosted in South America froze as well, nobody knew why. It wasn't until the first images and videos from the border between Panama and Colombia started to appear on the Internet that people started to realize what had happened, and by the time the satellite images of South America came in, the horrifying reality was already confirmed.

The revelation of the South American Paralysis, as it came to be called, was greeted with shock and panic by the rest of the world. Panama attempted to shift everyone living near the border several miles away, just in case, and there was a brief refugee crisis as terrified Central Americans fled north into Mexico and the United States, fearing that they would be next. The revelation that you had to actually make contact with the South American landmass to be frozen led to ships docked in harbors across South America and in the many lakes and rivers throughout the continent fleeing to safer shores with tales of everything around them just coming to a halt. South America was quarantined, with ships restricted from coming anywhere near the continent (despite the only risk being if they touched the land) and planes forbidden from flying over it.

It's been nearly fifty years since the Paralysis, and the world is a drastically changed place. South America remains halted, and it looks like it will continue to be halted into the foreseeable future. The world eyes South America nervously (or hopefully, in the case of some of the cults that sprung up following the Paralysis), dreading the possibility that they might wake up and discover that yet another continent has been Paralyzed.

Yet South America hasn't changed at all- a continent of over four hundred million inhabitants, still perpetually living that one fraction of a millisecond for almost half a century now, unaware of how the rest of the world has been changed in the wake of their paralysis. It's like the saying goes, after all:

"Nothing happens in South America."

View attachment 418280

What about the seasons and day/night cycle? (Also, tossing a lasso across the border to try to pull people back?)

What is the best way to make straight lines when making western states in the US or colonial lines?. I know latitude lines are actually straight in worlda, but longitude lines seem to give me trouble.

What is the best way to make straight lines when making western states in the US or colonial lines?. I know latitude lines are actually straight in worlda, but longitude lines seem to give me trouble.

If you're doing it in paint.net or GIMP, you can make a transparent layer above and import an OTL worlda as an overlay. Then you can use the OTL borders as reference, e.g. if it's near the eastern border of Colorado, and the border there shifts right one pixel for every three pixels going up, then you can reproduce that pattern on the base layer.

What about the seasons and day/night cycle? (Also, tossing a lasso across the border to try to pull people back?)

The day/night cycle continues uninterrupted even in South America, since the time-stop didn't affect the sun. The seasons are unaffected across the rest of the world, but South America remains perpetually halted on a warm spring day.

As for tossing a lasso across to pull people back...

It's entirely possible for people to be frozen with just one foot on the landmass, and there have been many cases where people have tried to reach in and pull other people out of South America. However, trying to grab them and drag them out is impossible because the two of you are moving at a completely different speed, time-wise. You can pull all you want, but they won't move an inch. It's like trying to reach out the window of a plane moving at several thousand miles an hour over the Himalayas and rip off the top of Mount Everest with your bare hands, minus the risk of having your arms torn off.

...well, alright, the analogy doesn't quite work, but it should be close enough for you to get what I'm trying to say.

...the same thing happens as if you try to grab them without stepping on the landmass and pull them back.

If you're doing it in paint.net or GIMP, you can make a transparent layer above and import an OTL worlda as an overlay. Then you can use the OTL borders as reference, e.g. if it's near the eastern border of Colorado, and the border there shifts right one pixel for every three pixels going up, then you can reproduce that pattern on the base layer.
Ah, that is what I have mostly been doing. I just wanted to double check if that is the correct way or if there was some "base map" for longitude that I was missing that everyone uses.

Very clever, @Alexander North . Although I wonder how rain works...

In Europe, we find a small Yellow country on Britain named Camelot. Neither England nor Wales are fond of its king claiming to be the ruler of all of Britain.

It's a silly place. :biggrin:

Not to mention JAPANWANK.

Or in Photoshop, as I do.

(secretly knows that he is better than everyone else)

Well, crap. I was almost ready to start the notes and labels for that 2300AD (the Traveller game) Earth map, when the online book went bye-bye. Now it's supposed to be here somewhere, but I can't find it. Could someone do my work for me and locate it? It's the one with this cover.

Pleeeease? :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.