Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

This time we're going into the breeding grounds of the apocalypse for the fourth map of the Victorian Zombies series.

When Napoleon's Hundred Days ended, right upon the moment of his surrender, some force caused a zombie apocalypse to occur within the kingdoms of the West African Coast; from there it spreads to both Europe, the Middle East, and in this case, the Caribbean via the Slave Trade. Rapidly, the virus spread across the Spanish colonies of Cuba and Santo Dominigo, but the smaller islands were better suited to put down infections as they appeared (though many of these islands would eventually fail). The situation became so bad that in late 1816, the Great Powers held of London Conference to discuss the matter. The United States was dealing with massive epidemics in the deep south and infections were beginning to appear in Europe (with Iberia having large infected hordes to their south).

While much was discussed in the Conference, very few solutions were made, one thing was agreed on though; that the zombie apocalypse was punishment. Many nations had theories to what the punishment was for (Such as a late attack against Napoleon, or an anger at the fall of the Holy Roman Empire), but the theory of the United Kingdom was that it was slavery that was being punished. They as well as a few other nations (Mainly the Dutch and British) acted on the assumption that slavery was the cause. However, while their solution was still slavery in practice, it did stop the influx of new carriers from West Africa, which at this point was rapidly collapsing.

Many of the colonies in the Americas began to declare independence, however with the plague beginning to strike down on Europe, these rarely were met with conflict.

The Kingdom of Haiti - Haiti survived quite well due to the lack of incoming slaves, however, they faced a rare problem among the Caribbean nations, Hordes. Unlike nations such Fedonia or Jamaica, Haiti had to hold back an onslaught of undead from their eastern border. While the walls they constructed held out, thousands of refugees from other Islands attempted to land in Haiti. This culminated in the Haitian Panic, where a carriers managed to get into Haiti in the 1820's, this in turn led to the entire southern portion of the country falling to the dead. Eventually, with the aid of Bolivaria, Haiti was able to retake the south and become a regional power.

The Republic of Bolivaria - When the plague struck the world, Simon Bolivar was in hiding in Haiti, he would end up trapped there while South America collapsed. Unable to leave due to the high levels of isolation Haiti installed, Bolivar eventually escaped during the Haitian Panic and returned to Venezuela. The Gran Colombian government had already fled west past the Andes, leaving a large civilian government north of the Merida Mountains. Bolivar took control and established Bolivaria, which rapidly became a major regional power.

The Kingdom of Jamaica - Inspired by the Canadian Revolts of the 1820's, the Colony of Jamaica had a revolt that became known as the Christmas Revolt. Jamaica had already become the British Empire's administrative hub in North America as the North American Hordes encroached on the Canadas; as a result, the British began to actively fight the rebels. Eventually, after the war, the Colony of Jamaica gained its independence within the British Empire.

The Kingdom of Antillea - As the plague went from island to island, many islands fell. However, the Congress of Vienna had banned the French Slave Trade; granted the islands a degree of safety. When the French government in Europe began to collapse from the Iberian Hordes, they declared their independence in a slave revolt similar to Haiti. However, similar to Haiti, thousands of refugees from other islands came, some of which were infected. Though major areas of the kingdom were lost, their economy grew and they became as powerful as their could hope.

I'm very much enjoying this series and I hope that all of you like it, because I have great plans for future maps, the next one's probably going to be set in Iberia. If any of you have any ideas of either this map or older maps, do tell me them. As always any questions, critiques, or feedback is greatly appreciated!

This time we're going into the breeding grounds of the apocalypse for the fourth map of the Victorian Zombies series.

When Napoleon's Hundred Days ended, right upon the moment of his surrender, some force caused a zombie apocalypse to occur within the kingdoms of the West African Coast; from there it spreads to both Europe, the Middle East, and in this case, the Caribbean via the Slave Trade. Rapidly, the virus spread across the Spanish colonies of Cuba and Santo Dominigo, but the smaller islands were better suited to put down infections as they appeared (though many of these islands would eventually fail). The situation became so bad that in late 1816, the Great Powers held of London Conference to discuss the matter. The United States was dealing with massive epidemics in the deep south and infections were beginning to appear in Europe (with Iberia having large infected hordes to their south).

While much was discussed in the Conference, very few solutions were made, one thing was agreed on though; that the zombie apocalypse was punishment. Many nations had theories to what the punishment was for (Such as a late attack against Napoleon, or an anger at the fall of the Holy Roman Empire), but the theory of the United Kingdom was that it was slavery that was being punished. They as well as a few other nations (Mainly the Dutch and British) acted on the assumption that slavery was the cause. However, while their solution was still slavery in practice, it did stop the influx of new carriers from West Africa, which at this point was rapidly collapsing.

Many of the colonies in the Americas began to declare independence, however with the plague beginning to strike down on Europe, these rarely were met with conflict.

The Kingdom of Haiti - Haiti survived quite well due to the lack of incoming slaves, however, they faced a rare problem among the Caribbean nations, Hordes. Unlike nations such Fedonia or Jamaica, Haiti had to hold back an onslaught of undead from their eastern border. While the walls they constructed held out, thousands of refugees from other Islands attempted to land in Haiti. This culminated in the Haitian Panic, where a carriers managed to get into Haiti in the 1820's, this in turn led to the entire southern portion of the country falling to the dead. Eventually, with the aid of Bolivaria, Haiti was able to retake the south and become a regional power.

The Republic of Bolivaria - When the plague struck the world, Simon Bolivar was in hiding in Haiti, he would end up trapped there while South America collapsed. Unable to leave due to the high levels of isolation Haiti installed, Bolivar eventually escaped during the Haitian Panic and returned to Venezuela. The Gran Colombian government had already fled west past the Andes, leaving a large civilian government north of the Merida Mountains. Bolivar took control and established Bolivaria, which rapidly became a major regional power.

The Kingdom of Jamaica - Inspired by the Canadian Revolts of the 1820's, the Colony of Jamaica had a revolt that became known as the Christmas Revolt. Jamaica had already become the British Empire's administrative hub in North America as the North American Hordes encroached on the Canadas; as a result, the British began to actively fight the rebels. Eventually, after the war, the Colony of Jamaica gained its independence within the British Empire.

The Kingdom of Antillea - As the plague went from island to island, many islands fell. However, the Congress of Vienna had banned the French Slave Trade; granted the islands a degree of safety. When the French government in Europe began to collapse from the Iberian Hordes, they declared their independence in a slave revolt similar to Haiti. However, similar to Haiti, thousands of refugees from other islands came, some of which were infected. Though major areas of the kingdom were lost, their economy grew and they became as powerful as their could hope.

I'm very much enjoying this series and I hope that all of you like it, because I have great plans for future maps, the next one's probably going to be set in Iberia. If any of you have any ideas of either this map or older maps, do tell me them. As always any questions, critiques, or feedback is greatly appreciated!
If the plague began at the end of Napoleon's Hundred Days, you have to tell us what happened to St. Helena.

whats society like for Haiti? whats the Republic of Cuba, the Republic of Santo Dominigo, and the Republic of maria? how did Haiti change Simon Bolivar?

I was planning to do something for the current Mediterranean meme, but halfway through the process I noticed an interesting feature that caused me to change my plan.

Introducing: The Mediterretidem Sea Complex

hcCV3pd.png

Last edited:
Looks interesting, though the POD is a bit far-reaching, especially in terms of Scandinavian colonization attempts in North America (for reference, jurisdiction over Greenland appears to have died out early into the fifteenth century, etc.). If you want an interesting twist to things, I would suggest perhaps basing this Scandinavian colony after Nya Sverige, or perhaps just based in Newfoundland and Labrador (reasonably close enough to realms claimed by Denmark at the time - Greenland).
Of course, there are some things I find a tad bit off with the POD (such as how the French and British were willing to ally in face of Scandinavia and Spain, especially seeing as the POD is within two decades of the Hundred Years' War, especially since it took arguably until the end of the nineteenth century in real life for the British and French to stop staring icicles into each other), but I've probably rambled on a bit too much at this point.
Thank you for the feedback. I don't think Scandinavia conquering what is essentially Canada is unreasonable, though it would require a lot of settling. - This timeline is somewhat of a wank though.
For the natives, I kind of lazily just took the five civilized tribes. In this timeline, the trail of tears is not a thing. Instead, their homelands are gradually settled by Europeans in a less dramatic way. They gain the lands in the northwest due to those parts being occupied by Louisiane and (somewhat unrealistically) resettle it like western Poland in post WW2.

Illinois renaming is a good suggestion, and I will probably need to develop some events that would cause England/France to allign (which wouldn't happen as soon).

Wouldn't that just be... the world as it is?
Accechyallleeeeee....

In all seriousness, if the world were physically upside down, the ocean currents would also be reversed and so climate could be somewhat different as a result. In this scenario, the Gulf Stream warms Canada instead of Europe, China and much of India is a desert while the Sahara and Australia are fertile.

The guy also has some axis maps for:

Shiveria:
SHIVMAP.GIF

A world where the north and south poles are in Indonesia and Brazil respectively, thus creating a permanent ice age since both poles are on dry land even without changing the atmospheric composition.

Seapole:
SEAPMAP.GIF

the opposite, with the North Pole in the south Atlantic and the South Pole in the northern Pacific. The world is warmer and wetter than otl, even with the same atmosphere.

Jaredia;
JARMAP.GIF

A world testing the Guns, Germs and Steel hypothesis by having Africa at the North Pole.

And of course;
INVMAP2.GIF

Last edited:
If the plague began at the end of Napoleon's Hundred Days, you have to tell us what happened to St. Helena.

Oh don't worry, I have plans for Napoleon.

whats society like for Haiti? whats the Republic of Cuba, the Republic of Santo Dominigo, and the Republic of maria? how did Haiti change Simon Bolivar?

Haitian Society has a much more important value of perseverance, they had only just got independence when the plague hit. Cuba and Maria are two of the standing civilian governments of Cuba since the central government collapsed, same with Santo Dominigo. Seeing the stability of Haiti before its collapse, Simon Bolivar realized just how long lasting rulers are useful and went through with his plan of being president for life and choosing his successor.

-snip-

How did you make that one? That’s pretty interesting! Though distorted as well since Australia and such would be further north if anything I’d have thought.

-snip-

@eustress used GProjector to make this one for me.

wQ9OpCF.png

Here's "North Pole in Paris" map, shown in Robinson projection, made by GProjector. Sorry for being a bit late, and hope it would help.

NOTE: This map doesn't show the exact altitude. Europe and NZ would be depressed by glacier, and places like Greenland, Canada, Antarctica would rise higher.

edit: Also, depending on the size of the european ice dome, the overall sea level would get higher or lower.(I think it would get a bit higher; europe is smaller than antarctica anyway.)

Accechyallleeeeee....

In all seriousness, if the world were physically upside down, the ocean currents would also be reversed and so climate could be somewhat different as a result. In this scenario, the Gulf Stream warms Canada instead of Europe, China and much of India is a desert while the Sahara and Australia are fertile.

The guy also has some axis maps for:

Shiveria:
SHIVMAP.GIF

A world where the north and south poles are in Indonesia and Brazil respectively, thus creating a permanent ice age since both poles are on dry land even without changing the atmospheric composition.

Seapole:
SEAPMAP.GIF

the opposite, with the North Pole in the south Atlantic and the South Pole in the northern Pacific. The world is warmer and wetter than otl, even with the same atmosphere.

Jaredia;
JARMAP.GIF

A world testing the Guns, Germs and Steel hypothesis by having Africa at the North Pole.

And of course;
INVMAP2.GIF
I do wonder how one wold go about rotating the earth around like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.