Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
1929 C'est La Lutte Finale.png

A timeline where the German Revolutionaries of 1918-1919 manage to rally themselves and drive off the determined attacks of the Freikorps. The year depicted is now September 1929 and the world is plunging inexorably towards conflict again. The Deutsches Räterepublik and the Soviet Union stand together facing a coalition mostly consisting of the old Entente. With an unstable situation in the Balkans and China, as well as possible economic disaster on the horizon (hint hint), the world is definitely not in a good shape. I may continue making maps for this timeline since I enjoyed the writeup, it depends on how much time I have. Hope you enjoy!

For my TL, I've decided to finally show off the flags of the current world. Majority of the flags are OTL, & some being different proposals as well. But one flag is a reference to a movie. ;)

(Higher quality version here.)

I'm assuming you're movie reference is Australia and the film Event Horizon?

I don't know a ton about the scenario, but I just want to say your style is very pleasing. Very clean, crisp, and the colors blend nicely together. Thank you for making this and sharing. :)

Thanks! Kinda unsure about my maps most of the time, so it's great to hear something like that, especially from someone who makes as many great maps as you do!

Quick little update to the 'Apex Earth: 2200' project I was working on. The basic scenario is that climate change happens, then aliens invade, then a new ice age, but humans keep muddling through it all. It's not an apocalyptic scenario, it's a 'Humanity F**k Yeah' mixed with a 'History Never Ends' scenario, and as much mega-engineering as I can fit on the map.

3cqGH8i.png

I've decided that the Mediterranean was protected by a Gibraltar Dam during the first climate crisis (2020 - 2080), to protect those historic coastlines from flooding. When the New Ice Age begins, the Gibraltar Dam is reworked to keep the Mediterranean filled, while a new Bosphorus Dam protects it from the new melt-water of the Scandinavian and Tibetan ice-caps. The Black - Caspian - Aral Sea Complex also serves as a slightly salty reservoir for the Ur-Schatt Valley Authority and the whole Middle East, so there was political will to flood the region, and Russia was in no condition to prevent it.

Scandinavia is an ice-cap in 2200, but in 2080 it was a major urban area. Climate change made Europe invest in two major projects to resettle their population, one to dam the Mediterranean, and one to develop Scotland, the Alps, and Scandinavia as mega-urban areas, interspersed with industrial farming projects. Many still fled to North America or Russia, but most went south or north.

Everything on the Mediterranean coast was part of the Mediterranean Union from 2040 up until 2080, a successor to the European Union, and also including North African states, Israel, Lebanon, and Turkey. From 2080 to 2100, just after the alien invasion, and just as the New Ice Age was kicking off, it transformed into the despotic Mediterranean Empire, ruled by al-Kazar out of his base on Malta, which lasted up until 2180, until al-Kazar's realm was reduced to the island of Malta alone. Russia's decline happened over a similar timescale, with the height of their power in 2080, much of it expended in the alien invasion, and then doomed by the changes brought by the New Ice Age.

Today Egypt is the only state with global influence, with France struggling to both project power outward to the rest of the world, and to the Mediterranean, and also to govern their northern territories (what was once Ireland, Britain, the Netherlands, and Germany - not yet drawn properly on the map), where Returners are trying to create their own states. Italy would be wealthy, but it's not united. The Danube Federation consists of a mix of refugee and remainer populations, a lot of Scandinavians and Russians ended up here, and a lot of Bulgars, Hungarians, and others never left. Not sure about Spain and Greece yet.

In Russia, several successor states compete to unite Russia again. Crimea is the most powerful overall, the floating city of Kitezh is the wealthiest per capita, and the Russians who live in northern Iran are the most well connected globally.

The Ur-Schatt Valley Authority is the big green blob in the Middle East. It's got republics, theocracies, monarchies, corporate states, nomadic tribes, and everything in between, centered on the massive developments of the Ur-Schatt Valley. The Valley itself is now a lush green paradise, albeit one filled with crushing poverty and inequality. There are cities that are as wealthy as Beverly Hills only a dozen miles from Gaza Strip level poverty and unrest. The whole enterprise is held together by Water (no arguments over this one), Islam (Jewish, Christian, and other citizens say 'Peace'), and Science (some say 'Providence'). Those places that were able to escape al-Kazar's rule early, including Egypt, Israel, Palestine, and Lebanon, as well as some floating cities, joined the early Authority, with Egypt later leaving, and the floating cities later settling in the Valley, some hundreds of miles inland.

I'll get a chance to make a few more updates in the next few weeks. Most of them will be rougher than this, but I think it's building up to something good.

The rest is here and for the next few pages of that map thread. There are some changes, the older stuff has the Mediterranean partly emptied. I'm thinking about possible mega-engineering projects for Asia, if anyone has a good idea or pitch I'd consider adding it later.

Rough work in progress, might not get a chance to finish it but here is what I have -

-snip-

Well, I'm a little upset because I had a post-post apocalypse scenario I was working on with the same base map (with some tweaks) :p

Good work though.

My scenario doesn't ever get to the 'apocalypse' stage, just an accelerating number of crises, balanced with a greater number of people living comfortably. Global warming was the biggest crisis yet, and could easily have been apocalyptic, then the alien invasion was relatively straightforward, and the new ice age was greater still, but humans had the tools to handle it.

Do you have this base map with high sea levels? I need it to tweak some of the coasts, and to produce the 2080 maps for this scenario. I'm sure I had one, but it's taking a while to find right now.

0ljD3fG.png

My scenario doesn't ever get to the 'apocalypse' stage, just an accelerating number of crises, balanced with a greater number of people living comfortably. Global warming was the biggest crisis yet, and could easily have been apocalyptic, then the alien invasion was relatively straightforward, and the new ice age was greater still, but humans had the tools to handle it.

Do you have this base map with high sea levels? I need it to tweak some of the coasts, and to produce the 2080 maps for this scenario. I'm sure I had one, but it's taking a while to find right now.

0ljD3fG.png
low_sea_level.png
There ya go, buddy

I finally began a serious attempt to make a Q-BAM of my fantasy world. It's taking a LOT longer than I expected. Here it is so far, still needing a lot of clean up, more lakes and rivers, and still missing a continent or two.

KsY6MdQ.png

Thanks!

But I was looking for a ten meter sea level rise map, I think I've found one. I don't know the source, I found this on my computer and it wasn't labeled well. So all credit goes to whoever created it. Any others would still be appreciated, there is always some art to deciding which exact places will flood.
Sorry! Misread your message, I'm like half asleep.

Thanks!

But I was looking for a ten meter sea level rise map, I think I've found one. I don't know the source, I found this on my computer and it wasn't labeled well. So all credit goes to whoever created it. Any others would still be appreciated, there is always some art to deciding which exact places will flood.

67Seu7L.png
Woah

You’re telling me I’d be dead with a 10 meter sea rise?

Status
Not open for further replies.