Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you underestimate how much the US wants to take control of the Mississippi. What will probably happen is a Texas like situation especially in Northern Louisiana where there are gonna be very few English. It also means that if the Quasi War goes hot that Canada is American, or at least the war goes way different than the war of 1812 otl

"All POD's lead to Ameriwank."

A map of the United States in a Superhero universe I was thinking about making.
6qhrHdv.png

Republic of the Cascades - The main setting, heroes still under development
Republican Union of California (Unión republicana de California) - A Mexican breakaway state. Protect by Ursa Major and Ursa Minor.
State of Lincoln - Junior partner to the RoC.
Holy Free State of Deseret - A theodemocratic state, no known superheros, but thought to be a place for villains to hideout in.
Republic of Texas - Another Mexican breakaway state. Protected by Davy Crockett and Pecos Bill.
Republic of Louisiana (République de Louisiane) - The last remaining land of the French Colonial Empire.
United States of America - A Roman-based Republic. Protected by Legatus Americana
Confederation of America - An Articles of Confederation style Republic. Horrible place to live.
Libertaria - Home to the villainous rich businessman Jonathan Dickinson aka "Liquid Liberty"
I really like this!

A map of the United States in a Superhero universe I was thinking about making.
6qhrHdv.png

Republic of the Cascades - The main setting, heroes still under development
Republican Union of California (Unión republicana de California) - A Mexican breakaway state. Protect by Ursa Major and Ursa Minor.
State of Lincoln - Junior partner to the RoC.
Holy Free State of Deseret - A theodemocratic state, no known superheros, but thought to be a place for villains to hideout in.
Republic of Texas - Another Mexican breakaway state. Protected by Davy Crockett and Pecos Bill.
Republic of Louisiana (République de Louisiane) - The last remaining land of the French Colonial Empire.
United States of America - A Roman-based Republic. Protected by Legatus Americana
Confederation of America - An Articles of Confederation style Republic. Horrible place to live.
Libertaria - Home to the villainous rich businessman Jonathan Dickinson aka "Liquid Liberty"

Sees Deseret....

WHY?! No really, I am a bit tired of Deseret states always showing up in maps every so often. Same for 'Republic of Texas', but I can deal with that better.

But besides that, this looks fun. Any backstory, or POD for this world?

Sees Deseret....

WHY?! No really, I am a bit tired of Deseret states always showing up in maps every so often. Same for 'Republic of Texas', but I can deal with that better.

I would love to see a Deseret in Missouri, Florida, or Montana, just to shake things up. Missouri especially, given Mormonism's doctrinal connection there. Or even a surviving Nauvoo, Illinois.

I am sadly entertained when "Deseret" breaks off from the USA any time after, say, 1900. Mormons don't exactly have a history of supporting secessionist groups. I don't know why this keeps coming up. And to keep the rant going (no offense to @TwiliAlchemist , whose map is quite interesting, and I'd love to hear more!), people don't know where Mormons live, often making Colorado part of Deseret, but not eastern Idaho, for example.

Just as there is the AltHist trope "Randomid Caliphate", we should acknowledge the "Deserandom" or "Holy Utah Placeholder" trope.

What happen to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland? I would think the UK would keep those.

How did the American Revolution and French Revolution ALT go?

Anything going on in the Balkans?
They were lost during the american revolution
The revolution happened because while the British secured the Louisiana territory, they kept it as a native territory. This was due to a violent revolt from french loyal natives who refused the british rule (and the ethnic rivalry between british aligned and french aligned tribes flaring), despite being put down, the british didn't wanted to fight constant revolt so they respectee their territory. While a small part of the Ohio valley was opened to the american colonist, they were expecting much much more. In addition of the high tax to pay for the war and keep the soldiers around due to the constant threat of the french, the british began to enact anti-smuggling policies and monopoly of trade with the metropolis.
When the revolution flared up, the revolutionnary obviously went to sign an alliance with France. Without hope of getting Louisiana back and valuing the alliance with the american (and the crippling of the british) much more than the Ohio valley, they made a priori bellis separation of North America. Thanks to a generous supply of gun powder, weapons and armed support from Canada, they won but the British navy allowed them to keep much of Louisiana. The loyalist were able to flee to New-Orlean, especially since many of them had to flee due to the French conquest of Nova-Scotia. In the peace deal, they also abandonned Newfoundland and Hudson territory (following the hudson bay company bankrupcy due to the french raider destroying their forts).

I really like this!
Thanks!

Sees Deseret....

I would love to see a Deseret in Missouri, Florida, or Montana, just to shake things up. Missouri especially, given Mormonism's doctrinal connection there. Or even a surviving Nauvoo, Illinois.

I am sadly entertained when "Deseret" breaks off from the USA any time after, say, 1900. Mormons don't exactly have a history of supporting secessionist groups. I don't know why this keeps coming up. And to keep the rant going (no offense to @TwiliAlchemist , whose map is quite interesting, and I'd love to hear more!), people don't know where Mormons live, often making Colorado part of Deseret, but not eastern Idaho, for example.

Just as there is the AltHist trope "Randomid Caliphate", we should acknowledge the "Deserandom" or "Holy Utah Placeholder" trope.

Yeah, Deseret is mostly there just to fill out the Rocky Mountains. I filled that part out last. If I would've thought of it I would've put a Deseret in Missouri. I tried with this version of it though to include the more Mormon populated portions of Idaho, Arizona, and the Pacific Northwest. They also got a bunch of the various other chunks of land that were leftover when I filled out the map. No offense taken! :) To be honest, I just like exploring the concept of theodemocracies as envisioned by Joseph Smith hence why Deseret shows up.

Most of the world (and heroes and villains that inhabit it) are still in need of fleshing out, but I will do my best. (Also, ignore a good portion of internal borders, they're placeholders for now.)

The POD would probably be sometime in the 1770s, but it is most likely earlier as the French still have some control over the Louisiana territory. That would be when super-powered individuals would appear, like Legatus Americana as an embodiment of the United States. The Confederation of America comes from a division of the North and South of the US between the Free States of the North and the Slave States of the South in the 1830s. Deseret, Texas, and California are all breakaways from Mexico, but the Mormons carve out an empire for themselves. California and Texas help keep themselves from being conquered (and doing most of the legwork during the revolution) thanks to a historic team up between Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Davy Crockett and Pecos Bill. Louisiana eventually gains independence with the most northern region becoming an autonomous province for the Plains Indians, specifically the Lakota. The Republic of Lincoln is mostly Anglo-Mormon settlers not wanting to be part of Louisiana or the Republic of the Cascades. The Republic of the Cascades is mostly former lumber region, but now is mostly know for having the most supers there (I'm from Washington State, of course I'm going to be biased.) Who they are and what they do is still up in the air. Libertaria is an excuse to have an evil rich business villain who wouldn't break every government regulation in the book.

I know none of this backstory is very historically (or alt-historically) accurate, but it's still in its very early stages of drafts and ideas. I might borrow that idea of a Deseret that exists in a non-Utah location.

Thanks!

Yeah, Deseret is mostly there just to fill out the Rocky Mountains. I filled that part out last. If I would've thought of it I would've put a Deseret in Missouri. I tried with this version of it though to include the more Mormon populated portions of Idaho, Arizona, and the Pacific Northwest. They also got a bunch of the various other chunks of land that were leftover when I filled out the map. No offense taken! :) To be honest, I just like exploring the concept of theodemocracies as envisioned by Joseph Smith hence why Deseret shows up.

Most of the world (and heroes and villains that inhabit it) are still in need of fleshing out, but I will do my best. (Also, ignore a good portion of internal borders, they're placeholders for now.)

The POD would probably be sometime in the 1770s, but it is most likely earlier as the French still have some control over the Louisiana territory. That would be when super-powered individuals would appear, like Legatus Americana as an embodiment of the United States. The Confederation of America comes from a division of the North and South of the US between the Free States of the North and the Slave States of the South in the 1830s. Deseret, Texas, and California are all breakaways from Mexico, but the Mormons carve out an empire for themselves. California and Texas help keep themselves from being conquered (and doing most of the legwork during the revolution) thanks to a historic team up between Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Davy Crockett and Pecos Bill. Louisiana eventually gains independence with the most northern region becoming an autonomous province for the Plains Indians, specifically the Lakota. The Republic of Lincoln is mostly Anglo-Mormon settlers not wanting to be part of Louisiana or the Republic of the Cascades. The Republic of the Cascades is mostly former lumber region, but now is mostly know for having the most supers there (I'm from Washington State, of course I'm going to be biased.) Who they are and what they do is still up in the air. Libertaria is an excuse to have an evil rich business villain who wouldn't break every government regulation in the book.

I know none of this backstory is very historically (or alt-historically) accurate, but it's still in its very early stages of drafts and ideas. I might borrow that idea of a Deseret that exists in a non-Utah location.

Sorry @Historyman 14 and I derailed the discussion of your map. Apparently, both of us had seen too many Deserets in a row this month, and yours was the one we ended up commenting on.

I like the idea of superheroes appearing in a timeframe before 1940, territory which is not often explored. And I really like Davy Crockett and Pecos Bill being superheroes! That's exciting! I think this kind of world would generate a lot of interesting political systems, too.

Sorry @Historyman 14 and I derailed the discussion of your map. Apparently, both of us had seen too many Deserets in a row this month, and yours was the one we ended up commenting on.
It's no problem, I completely understand.

I like the idea of superheroes appearing in a timeframe before 1940, territory which is not often explored.
That's what I figured. Plus, it gives more time for a world to be fleshed out rather than just "Superheroes were discovered during World War II".

And I really like Davy Crockett and Pecos Bill being superheroes! That's exciting!
Yeah! I love the idea of making folk heroes into Superheroes. They have so much potential for expansion and story due to their already established lore. Plus it creates an easy in for multiple superheroes without breaking the world too much. Was Spring-heeled Jack a superhuman? He is now!

I think this kind of world would generate a lot of interesting political systems, too.
Definitely! Honestly, alternate political systems are one of my favourite things to see in alternate timelines. Like, with my map alone there is the Theodemocracy of Deseret, a Cascadian government based on the Oregon Provisional Government, and a United States Government based on the Roman Republic.

Here's MKII of my (OTL) Madagascar Plan map. There are probably a few bits that need ironing out but overall this stage is finished.

Anyone have any feedback/suggestions? I get the impression it's maybe looking a little cluttered but maybe not.

8942TDL.png

British taking Louisiana instead of Canada after the 7 years war, hilarity insue
Seems to me that this actually shows France winning the Seven Years' War, or at least doing much better in it. IOTL they gave up New France in its entirety in order to protect their Caribbean colonies (Louisiana west of the Mississippi went to Spain, while the eastern hinterland and Canada went to Britain. In any case, if there were an American Revolution ITTL at all New Orleans would likely go with the Patriots: being a major trade center, it would be hurt by British tariffs as much as if not more than any mid-Atlantic or New English city, and the remaining French colonists wouldn't be friendly to the British Crown.

Wrong choice of words. Bring them down to size would more like it.
To me, this still sounds like cheerleading for ethnic (religious?) cleansing and genocide. Generally frowned upon.

Alternate histories can certainly go in many different directions, with different peoples faring better or worse than in reality. This seems personal for you.

To me, this still sounds like cheerleading for ethnic (religious?) cleansing and genocide. Generally frowned upon.

Alternate histories can certainly go in many different directions, with different peoples faring better or worse than in reality. This seems personal for you.

Its not that at all. I normally just flow on Theocratic states, and Deseret always seem to be on the list. An theodemocratic still sounds like an Theocratic state to me.

I honesty can't stand Deseret States these days.(Nor can I stand Joseph Smith.) If anything, kick them out of North America, or have everyone tag them, and beat the shit out of them. (Make Cascades and all that.) Or butterfly all of Mormonism.

I've actually redone the entire map so now it has 80% less Deseret*. Also shrank down Louisiana and expanded the United States and the Republic of Lincoln*.

jb7Zg8F.png

Still not the final version, but it is getting closer. The Mormons* are only stay to add some 'flavor' in terms of politics. Most just as a place for villains to hide out at. I might shrink down Texas later too.

If you need superheroes for Cascades, I would think you see a lot of Green Arrow, Native American, Elemental base, and a couple of high tech heroes.
Definitely. There is actually a few places in the Seattle-Bellevue area named Sherwood Forest, which would led to a Robin Hood (and potentially his merry men) figure. Bigfoot could be interesting, but it might have to sit more on the back burner. I did an academic paper on Bigfoot and it took most of the magic of the myth out of it. A plant based superhero would fit extremely well with the environmentalist movement of Western Washington and Oregon. Of course there'd have to be some high tech heroes or villains. Not saying any OTL companies would exist in this universe, but it would probably be a few bland-name products to stand in for the OTL companies. The only reason I'm slightly reluctant to do a tech-based hero is because of how common they are. Tony Stark, Ant-man, any member of the Batfamily, and Spiderman just to name a few.

Sees Deseret....

As an LDS person here, I can agree to that. Though I can't say I was not guilty of it at least once. :)

I've actually redone the entire map so now it has 80% less Deseret*. Also shrank down Louisiana and expanded the United States and the Republic of Lincoln*.

jb7Zg8F.png

Still not the final version, but it is getting closer. The Mormons* are only stay to add some 'flavor' in terms of politics. Most just as a place for villains to hide out at. I might shrink down Texas later too.

Definitely. There is actually a few places in the Seattle-Bellevue area named Sherwood Forest, which would led to a Robin Hood (and potentially his merry men) figure. Bigfoot could be interesting, but it might have to sit more on the back burner. I did an academic paper on Bigfoot and it took most of the magic of the myth out of it. A plant based superhero would fit extremely well with the environmentalist movement of Western Washington and Oregon. Of course there'd have to be some high tech heroes or villains. Not saying any OTL companies would exist in this universe, but it would probably be a few bland-name products to stand in for the OTL companies. The only reason I'm slightly reluctant to do a tech-based hero is because of how common they are. Tony Stark, Ant-man, any member of the Batfamily, and Spiderman just to name a few.

I like it! (Would there be any large number of English/Non-Spanish speakers within California?)

So I see an Robin Hood plus Merry Men, Heroic Poison Ivy, and at least if not Big Foot, another mythical being. I can understand given how many there are, but it does fit the setting. ( Silicon Forest and Seattle!) Could also do 'New Age' base hero for every Iron Man, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.