Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 105545

...why is the capital of that purple midwestern state in Oshkosh, Wisconsin of all places?
lol that does look like the capital. But no, they declared independence from USSA, in a protest of a lack of infrastructure in that area. They got readmitted into the union, but refused to become part of wisconsin.

Skallagrim

Banned
God, it's always so shocking how different the world looks when you just flip on an axis, makes everything look so much more bent and twisted then it actually is.

To some extent, this is the projection. North America in particular is warped quite a bit, being so near the 'edge'. But because it's where we expect it, we recognise its shape(s) and our brains correct for the distortion. When it's flipped around and in another place, our brains don't correct the distortion, and we see how warped it really is.

Pretty weird idea, but it's not that it looks much more bent and twisted then it actually is, when flipped. It's that when not flipped, it seems less bent and twisted then it actually is! :eek:

central_african_federation___motf_170_by_federalrepublic-dbwao6v.png

After the era of imperialism began to come to a close the Portuguese government in Lisbon had to deal with a rising desire for independence in their Central African colonies of Angola, Mozambique, and Zambezi. The three colonies were connected with a handful of rail lines and several major rivers, so the pro-independence leaders in the colonies shared similar ideals and especially the mines in Zambezi were dependent on Mozambique in order to export their minerals. So after intense negotiations between pro-independence groups and Lisbon an arrangement was made where the oil-rich protectorate of Cabinda and the very south of Mozambique, including the colonial capital of Lourenço Marques, which was home to the biggest white population of Portugal's continental colonies, were to remain in Portuguese hands, and the remaining colonies were to achieve independence as a federation in 1962. In order to appease regional aspirations each of the three colonies were divided into two regions, thus leading to the eight regions now making up Central Africa.

Within the next ten years both Cabinda and Lourenço Marques also achieved independence from Portugal, with the former being taken over by Libertarian mercenaries, and the latter achieved independence with the support of the white regime in South Africa.

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned

Ooooooh, independent Cabinda, independent Zanzibar and independent Lourenço Marques. Interesting!

(Of course, the bizzarre notion of calling South Africa "Azania" - I know it's an OTL idea - always triggers me. It's historically inaccurate. Ancient Azania was in East Africa!)

Ooooooh, independent Cabinda, independent Zanzibar and independent Lourenço Marques. Interesting!

(Of course, the bizzarre notion of calling South Africa "Azania" - I know it's an OTL idea - always triggers me. It's historically inaccurate. Ancient Azania was in East Africa!)

You know what: I'm changing it XD It was a rather spontaneous decision (and the name is a bit too recent in terms of when it was considered), so... It's now Capeland. Boring, but descriptive (also: suck it, Orange Free State!).

Status
Not open for further replies.