Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, that's either a criticism because my Japanese is terrible or a wonderment because there are Japanese in Sarawak. I'll be optimistic and presume the latter.

As a part of the Cold War SE-Asian aesthetic, ITTL lots of Japanese migrated to Kuching in the decades following WWII, due to the fact it's a flourishing tech hub (made possible by not being victimised and sidelined by Malaya), many former Japanese soldiers stationed there during the war have returned, and the Yakuza have expanded into the Kingdom to strengthen their position in SE Asia and the South China Sea. At the time of this map Sarawak has 3.2 million people, 50'000 of which are Japanese descended, or 3.8% of the population. A lot of the anti-immigration rhetoric spouted by Adat untuk Sarawak and Sarawak First is aimed at the Japanese.

EDIT: WWII. Not I, II.

All I said is 'what'. :p

ZAPARAZh_Ya.png

My map of Zaporozhye in the style of RetroWave, Futurism and Apocalyptic. The map does not have a timeline. The main priority was given to the style.
A E S T H E T I C

Stunning work, truly professional quality. I'mma ask a dumb question; is this alternate history or historical? Sometimes it's hard to tell, especially when the quality of the work is so high.

This is historical (At least as close as I could get it)

My map of Zaporozhye in the style of RetroWave, Futurism and Apocalyptic. The map does not have a timeline. The main priority was given to the style.

This is awesome!

Last edited:
1406-13-fr-civil-war-onslaught-30-6-png.333281

1415-1420

The Hundred Years War

It took Henry 2 years to prepare before invading northern France in July 1415 and capturing Harfleur in September. Henry decided to March from Harfleur to his main base in Calais but found himself having to elude a numerically stronger French army before finding himself forced to select a defensive position or be destroyed in detain in the open.
The battle of Agincourt was fought on October 25th 1415, Henry's longbowmen ensured that very little hand to hand fighting took place. French Knights decimated their Genoese allies, armed with crossbows, in their eagerness to close with the English but were mown down in their droves by the English Longbow. The lessons of the Scottish wars had been successfully applied to European warfare.

Unable to take advantage of the battle because his communications with England were threatened by the Genoese fleet, Henry returned to England to build up his own fleet and gain control of the channel, driving off the Genoese in 1416.

Returning to France in 1417, with the channel now secure, Henry conquered Normandy, unlike Edward's use of the Chevauchee or raid in force, Henry occupied castles and strongpoints, creating a secure area of English control before pushing further south.
Also moving troops into Brittany, which had supported the Orléanists an English army under the Duke of Bedford defeated a combined Franco-Brittany army at Avranches forcing Duke John V, Henry's Uncle in law, to accept English Suzerainity and make common cause with Henry.

Later than expected, Albert V joined the war, capturing Paris in 1418 and massacring Orléanist leaders. He had been held up by a conflict with the Swiss Federation where, to free his hand in France, he had made concessions of territory.
English forces were besiegeing Rouen and its surrender was closely followed by the assassination of Albert by supporters of the Dauphin. In the confusion, Henry marched on and secured Paris for the alliance. Charles II, Duke of Lorraine and uncle of Albert, became regent for Albert's son, Frederick IV.

In 1420, with the Burgundian faction dominant in France, King Charles VI of France was forced to acknowledge Henry V as his heir, and as virtual ruler of most of France, signing the Treaty of Troyes and marrying Catherine of Valois to him to seal the deal.
The Dauphin, naturally did not accept the usurpation of his position and undertook negotiations with the Angevins of Maine and Provence to strengthen his cause. Unbeknownst to him, his plans had been revealed to Henry and his largest army was destroyed by a combined Anglo-Angevin force as it crossed the Loire.

Bohemia

England's ambitions lay further to the west but the influence of Theologian John Wycliffe, deemed a heretic and rejected in his own land, where the Lollard sect was suppressed, grew in Bohemia where the preaching of Jan Hus was widely heeded. Hus preached against the corruption of the Church and Papacy. The Church, in the midst of the Schism, both Popes selling indulgences to raise money to support their cause, did nothing to change the perceptions of a corrupt organisation in need of reform. Hus, denounced by the Church after explicitly quoting the heretic Wycliffe, won much support in Bohemia.

In 1414, Sigismund, King of the Romans, convened the Council of Constance to resolve the Schism and other religious controversies. Hus was offered safe-conduct to appear at the council but was imprisoned, tried and executed in 1415. A protest to the council from Bohemian nobles recieved only threats from Sigismund in return.

Disorder broke out in Bohemia, Catholic priests driven from their parishes, Bishops from their sees. From the start the movement had two factions, the Ultraquists [moderates] and the Taborites [extreme] but for the moment their aims were the same. Preparations were made to defend themselves against Sigismund. As if to ensure this need, Hussites attacked the town hall in Prague and threw town councilors, the burgomeister and representatives of the King from the windows into the street. The death of the King, soon after, may have been partly due to this, either way, Sigismund was heir apparent and intent on staking his claim.

Catholics were forced out over most of Bohemia, an attempt to re-instate Catholicism by force was defeated by a Taborite Hussite force under Zizka in early 1420, this act alone enabling the spread of Hussite influence to magnify even beyond the state borders.

Zizka instituted a strict military discipline and adopted a tactic not used before; the Wagenburg. In effect a mobile fortress defended with artillery and handguns.

The Wagenburg would be placed close to the enemy formation and artillery used to inflict great losses on enemy formation, provoking their attack. Defenders would then use firearms and crossbows against the [usually mounted] attackers who could not penetrate the "walls" of the wagenburg.

Sigismund was aided by the Pope in Rome who declared a crusade against the heretics. He arrived at Prague in June 1420 with an army from all over Europe, captured and garrisoned two castles but found it impossible to maintain a siege of Prague and so withdrew. The castles were promptly besieged by Hussite forces. When Sigismund tried to rekieve them he was decisively defeated, the castles capitulated and Bohemia fell firmly under Hussite control.

HRE

Part of Frisia was rent by a civil war [1413-1422] which invited outside interference, troops from the Habsburg lands arrived to make the peace and it was only the obvious aims of Albert V that enabled peace to be agreed.

Schleswig had been inherited by the Duke of Holstein in 1402 who proceeded to try to combine this Duchy with his own, alienating it from Denmark, part of the Kalmar Union. Denmark reacted in 1409 by seizing the Duchy, starting a prolonged war with Holstein. By 1417, Holstein, allied with the Victualling Brotherhood, a pirate society, had re-captured most of Schleswig and were pushing on.
1420-occupied-and-open-rebellion-onslaught-24-6-png.333282

Hi5sjNw.png
Bear in mind this is not finished but I wanted to show it anyway to impress people. Basically me being inspired by Beedok's ISOT Virgin Earth series, I decided to do one where the Australian Aborigines, indigenous Papuans and the Torres Strait Islanders from 1500 (before anyone had really any or little knowledge of Australia and Oceania) are teleported to a Virgin Earth.

Difference is that Australia in this world is somewhat more greener and has less deserts so it can provide Australian Aborigines with the chance to create cities and such.

And yes Australia is a mess reason is due to the fact there are thousands of different Aboriginal tribes that speak different languages, have different mythologies, and traditions.

Anyways like I said before, this is unfinished. When it is finished I will post it again in a finished version.

This is for those who are interested.
The base-map for my Onslaught series, including alternate coastlines. Modern reservoir/lakes are in light blue.
One is blank with rivers, the other has suggested borders.
This is based on & with thanks to thorvaldr [although I cant see he has posted anything recently]
Master Blank Europe -NB incl coast alts.png
Master Blank Europe incl coast alts.png

The base-map for my Onslaught series, including alternate coastlines. Modern reservoir/lakes are in light blue.
This is based on & with thanks to thorvaldr [although I cant see he has posted anything recently]
View attachment 333284 View attachment 333283
That's really nice Bob. I wonder though how much time did it take you to do that? :D

This is based on & with thanks to thorvaldr [although I cant see he has posted anything recently
On the one hand, I love you. On the other hand, now I have to scrap my M-BAM Barbarossa base and remake it on here because this is so so so much better. But the love is greater. Thank you so much!!!!

Really, I don't see that many Confederate-wanks around here lately: it's not considered intellectually respectable any more. Sure, we do have independent Confederacies exist when they really shouldn't, but super magical califragilstic ones? Not so much. That video may have a point when it comes to the general alternate history literature, but it's a bit of a straw man when it comes to this forum.

And US wanks are fairly inevitable given the mostly American membership. Indeed, I'd say there aren't as many as you would expect: a lot of US posters have made maps with variously shafted Unites Stateses. I tremble to imagine the endless array of vast, bloated Motherlands we would have to deal with with on a Russian-dominated board. :p

German wanks: here I do have to agree to some extent. The Third Reich has been done at exhaustive length, and if not _quite_ so abundant, wanks of the Second Reich are also present in great, heavy drifts: and the amount of effort put into detailing their grand victories gets a bit creepy after a while. I don't object to German wanks in principle, but can we let 1914 and 1939 alone for a while?

Just my two cents: I shall say no more.

Hey look, a reasonable response that doesn't act snide or insulting to the people it debates with, acknowledges when the other side has reason, and then makes its own logical point without the said snideness. If this was how the debate was I could go "huh, yeah, I actually get that, good point."

Seraphiel

Banned
Hello to all,
As a public service announcement and my disdain for America wanks. May I present to you a video that you should all watch made by Alternate Historian. Please think out your timelines before making maps on them. Please make less America and Germany wanks.
Please watch this video
This is exactly how I view 99% of maps and TLs based on the American Civil War.

This is how they appear to almost all of us:
yMV2Pgs.png

I'm going to make a glorious German American wank based on the American civil war now.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Hi5sjNw.png
Bear in mind this is not finished but I wanted to show it anyway to impress people. Basically me being inspired by Beedok's ISOT Virgin Earth series, I decided to do one where the Australian Aborigines, indigenous Papuans and the Torres Strait Islanders from 1500 (before anyone had really any or little knowledge of Australia and Oceania) are teleported to a Virgin Earth.

Difference is that Australia in this world is somewhat more greener and has less deserts so it can provide Australian Aborigines with the chance to create cities and such.

And yes Australia is a mess reason is due to the fact there are thousands of different Aboriginal tribes that speak different languages, have different mythologies, and traditions.

Anyways like I said before, this is unfinished. When it is finished I will post it again in a finished version.

But many tribes would end up merging or otherwise being destroyed in the process of societal evolution (the "hunter-gatherer vs farmer" conflict), so there'd be a lot fewer groups than OTL in any agricultural Australia, at least in whatever zones agriculture can fluorish.

View attachment 333284 View attachment 333283
Thanks for sharing it with us, I and probably a whole lot of other people really love your work on the maps!

CannedTech

Banned
Hi5sjNw.png

This is gold man, can't wait to see the finished dealieo.

Status
Not open for further replies.