Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2017, France was ISOT'ed to an earth where - apparently - the earth's ice caps had melted.
The base map you made that with, it wouldn't happen to come with the modern borders of countries, would it? Thinking about the exact opposite scenario of this, where a France (or other such state) from flood world gets ISOT'd into a world with modern coastlines.

The base map you made that with, it wouldn't happen to come with the modern borders of countries, would it? Thinking about the exact opposite scenario of this, where a France (or other such state) from flood world gets ISOT'd into a world with modern coastlines.

Alas, no, it was just a blank world basemap. I could upload my basemap if you'd like, you could try overlaying them?

aD3u6fb.png
base map please?

THE SUEZ COMPANY (Yellow)

An oil-spewing capitalist wonderland, the people of the Suez Company - or rather, the employees - are neither French, nor are they descended from the Arabs who founded the colony while
fleeing the Sixth Republic. Or at least, so they say. In fact, these two groups have simply intermingled over the centuries, to the degree they often can't be told apart. The Suezines
follow a very lax, almost Buddhist mutation of Islam,

Given that Mahgrebis are the largest minority in France by a large margin, followed by black Africans from further south, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't at least one properly Islamic/African/Arabic nation founded anywhere - I mean, heck, there's a nation founded by weeaboos. :biggrin:

(Side thought: over 80 million tourists visit France a year, or at least did so before the latest terrorism scare. Has anyone calculated how may would be in France in, say, an average summer day?)

(Side thought: over 80 million tourists visit France a year, or at least did so before the latest terrorism scare. Has anyone calculated how may would be in France in, say, an average summer day?)
Assuming that that France gets the exact same number of tourists each day (aka, not accounting for spikes during prime vacation periods), France has of 219,178 tourists per day, or approximately .3% of people in France at any given time are tourists.

source: Took 80 million and divided it by 365 :p Pretty decent amount I'd say, although it probably explains why England is a thing that exists still

Given that Mahgrebis are the largest minority in France by a large margin, followed by black Africans from further south, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't at least one properly Islamic/African/Arabic nation founded anywhere - I mean, heck, there's a nation founded by weeaboos. :biggrin:

http://www.cotedazur-touriscope.com/pdf/chiffres/2015/B001-Chiffrescles-EN.pdf

Could be 650,000 on August 15, as low as 50,000 in mid-January.

Seems like the largest single groups are British (including Irish) and Italian at 17% each, and then German at 8%. If it's on the average day, that's a population of 34,000 British Islanders, and 16,000 Germans. Maybe the tourists form a 'hotel republic' throughout Old France?

Assuming that that France gets the exact same number of tourists each day (aka, not accounting for spikes during prime vacation periods), France has of 219,178 tourists per day, or approximately .3% of people in France at any given time are tourists.

source: Took 80 million and divided it by 365 :p Pretty decent amount I'd say, although it probably explains why England is a thing that exists still

Most people go on vacation for 5 days, so that'd be about 1 million.

WLdcdWP.png

After an eventful finals week, I did some more work on my ISOT WW1 project. (Backstory, for those who have forgotten: Technology and history [so, textbooks, engineering diagrams, military analyses of battles, etc] from the Third Reich in 1945 has found its way to the Austrians and Germans in 1913 sans nuclear research, while technology [the key thing here is that history was not transported] is sent back to the USA from 1945, sans nuclear tech as well.)

Germany was quick and efficient in dispatching the Western Entente in 1914, as Panzers were added to the ranks and advanced Blitzkrieg tactics were employed alongside trench warfare (the Allies (Germany, Austria, Bulgaria, Rumania) used trenches to great effect, as the Entente lacked the technology to break entrenched forces but Allied tanks made the reverse relatively simple). France fell quickly, though resistance was organized by the British in the south as part of an effort to give Russia a chance- this only lasted until the Germans invaded Denmark, commandeered and upgraded their navy, and secured the English Channel with help from their advanced aircraft. Russia fell quickly as well, under a combined German and Austrian onslaught. Germany left most of the work to the Austrians, but claimed the Baltics and puppetized a small Polish state. Finnish rebels eagerly accepted German arms and leadership against the Russians. German gains in Africa can easily be attributed to their bolstering colonial forces after reading the OTL reports of the war in Africa. von Lettow-Vorbeck was made Commander-in-Chief of the Afrika Korps (because of what he did in OTL, and what they hoped he would do ITTL), and easily defeated the overconfident British and French forces (using easily loosely here). A handful of supported independence movements later, and the British presence in Africa is all but eradicated.

Austria did far better than OTL. FAR better. Their command was reorganized, and quite sobered by the ISOT'ed information regarding their performance IOTL WW1. Ethnic issues were addressed- often, this ended up with the Austrians holding the Hungarians at gunpoint (the Austrian part of the Empire was relatively more open to ethnic equality than the Magyar part)- as they realized that their collapse would be a very real possibility if they failed to do so. Better yet, they expanded their industry with the new technology- not as much as Germany, but enough to make a difference. With numerical and technological superiority against the Russians, and a knowledge of their plans, they were at Kiev almost as quickly as the Germans were in Paris. Italy was eager to join the Allies after seeing the early successes, but Austrian leadership was a little peeved by the backstabbery that they perceived to have happened OTL, and so Venice soon became a possession of the Habsburg crown. Austrian forces made it as far as Turin and Florence, but conceded those gains in favor of not annexing an all too large and hostile minority. They chose to instead take some overseas colonies, figuring that if they could solve ethnic tensions at home then maybe they would be able to handle some overseas territories. It wasn't as easy as they had expected, but things have only been picking up since the Islamic and Jewish revolts in the Holy Land died down (the Muslims were sent packing and Arabia was established as a sovereign state, the Jews were given an equal status in recognition of their contributions during the war [the Allies also felt kind of bad for what happened IOTL]).

France actually came out of the war mostly intact. There were several revolts against the government, given how poorly the war had gone, and their African colonies were hanging by a thread, but aside from the loss of Chinese spheres of influence they didn't fare all that poorly. It helped that they agreed to give Morocco full independence from French influence.

Britain came out of it the worst. The defeat of the British navy, BEF, and British forces in Africa led to a rapid deterioration of their grip on their African colonies. Egypt-Sudan claimed the Nile regions, and the Boers emerged independent in South Africa. Egypt allowed the British to use the Suez freely, however, so it wasn't too big a loss to Britain. They're currently debating giving India Commonwealth status, as fears of losing the subcontinent entirely grow. The only British campaign of the entire war that succeeded was in Hong Kong- the Germans wanted to make a show of strength in the East, and so- along with a small Austrian contingent- laid siege to, and captured, Hong Kong. An offensive launched in late 1915 from Singapore retook the city, after Japanese incursions against Tsingtao forced the Germans to shift their focus. In Europe, pressure from the Germans forced them to give full independence to the entire island of Ireland, unconditionally. That indirectly gave rise to the British Fascist movement, as what was viewed as a "stranglehold" was placed on them by the Germans by limiting their navy and the expansion of the German navy.

Italy didn't do much in the war- they were unprepared for the Austrian betrayal, and barely managed to avoid losing Rome. They lost their colonies, and are now facing an increasingly powerful political movement known as the fascists under the leadership of war veteran Benito Mussolini, largely comprised of those angry and dissatisfied with the government's failures in the war.

Russia came out of the fiasco... interestingly. Defeated dramatically by their two worst enemies, they were humiliated, crippled, and vulnerable. Communist uprisings in the West rapidly overwhelmed the Tsar's forces, which had largely been decimated by the war. In the Center, German and Austrian forces rapidly reasserted the Tsar's authority in an attempt to maintain the monarchy, though Communist partisans haven't fully been eradicated. Around Petrograd, called Leningrad by the Communists, and Volgograd, the Communist forces have claimed complete control- though as starvation has begun to set in, this iron grip continues to weaken.

The United States is quite isolationist and quiet. After the Americans rapidly industrialized and mobilized, Canada and Mexico were subjugated by 1916 and added to the USA. Additional campaigns into the Gulf and Central America secured the entire North American continent for the Americans. Designs were made to join the war in Europe by some of the more expansionist elements of American politics, though isolationism won out (isolation to the American continents, that is). The government is trying to find a good reason to officially annex their puppet states in the Gulf.

The Convention of Prague was written by German, Austrian, Bulgarian, and French diplomats after the majority of fighting had ended, in an effort to establish the dominance of the German Powers and their close allies over the world and to prevent a system of alliances from forming yet again, regulating the sizes of militaries for smaller nations and most non-European member states. Members include: Germany, Austria, France, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Bulgaria, Greece, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, the Boer State of South Africa, Ethiopia, Thailand, Mongolia, and Japan. The "Great Powers", or those principally in charge of policy and guidelines, are underlined.

Last edited:
Another non-geographic map

I may be preparing a sort of infobox TL at some point in the future. POD: Richard III survives Bosworth. Henry Tudor doesn't

upload_2017-5-28_13-38-40.png

Edit: asterisk denote OC unless I missed any

EditEdit: Brittany, not Burgundy

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-28_2-1-45.png
    upload_2017-5-28_2-1-45.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 905
  • upload_2017-5-28_13-38-28.png
    upload_2017-5-28_13-38-28.png
    756 bytes · Views: 255
Last edited:

Dorozhand

Banned
They're railroads are labeled as that on the map ffs and the ones you commented on are from OTL. Take it up with Cornelius Vanderbilt. Also to be honest I'm going to change literally nothing and listen to none of it out of spite because since I posted it I've had people trying to nitpick it to death and after a while

idgas.gif

No, I got it from the real life Communist group Redneck Revolt.

The fact that people criticize it is testament to the fact that you've created something worth criticizing. All my maps that I've put a large amount of work into have been criticized to death, and, while I defend my positions, I honor those who judge my work at least worthy of consideration. And look at truly great works, how often and how deeply they are picked apart by those who find it important enough to do so!

I've seriously liked just about everything you've posted here, and I think a lot of other folks feel the same. I understand that sometimes it gets difficult to deal with and we all get stressed out, but why lash out? Why even respond if you think the criticism is pointless or misguided?

At any rate, I would implore anyone who is leaving to stick around. You're all appreciated, at least by me.

Delmarva seems to have a different color than New Jersey and the Pennsylvanian far East. What that deliberate?
7gXvJsT.png

Questions, comments and criticism welcome and wanted.
I have gotten used to people these days putting Maderia in Spanish colors, but the Azores being shown as Moroccan? Given the Canaries are the red of Morrocan sattelites, while the Azores are shown as being mainland color. I really should look over the rest of your post, check out all the text, but I was at my sister's wedding yesterday that took a lot of time and seeing you retire from maps.... It really is a shame. You always have made some of the best non-munroified maps on here. At least for the last two years. The creativity, the good grace... I feel like I am giving my speech/toast at the wedding yesterday. I would do better with more time to write up commendations for you. Will you retire for good or perhaps go the Fox Trot route, doing the ossaional Sunday maps instead of daily? Like just making maps when you feel like them and not otherwise. And even if you don't, will you be sticking around the site and map thread? Even if you don't make maps, I am sure you will contribute quite a bit with your advice, questions, and just serving as an inspiration.

Jcw3

Banned
I have gotten used to people these days putting Maderia in Spanish colors, but the Azores being shown as Moroccan?

I dunno about Madeira, I think I left that in the color of the AEU (Portuguese successor state), but the Azores were colonized by Morocco. They're virgin earth at the start of the ISOT.

You always have made some of the best non-munroified maps on here.

Thank you very much.

good grace

Sorry, what?

Will you retire for good or perhaps go the Fox Trot route, doing the ossaional Sunday maps instead of daily? Like just making maps when you feel like them and not otherwise.

This is probably what will happen, yeah. I'm doodling with a sequel to that Africa ISOT map, but I haven't gotten very far. Figuring out border changes in the Central African clusterfuck, drawing tribes in the Sahara, etc. Taking a while.

And even if you don't, will you be sticking around the site and map thread? Even if you don't make maps, I am sure you will contribute quite a bit with your advice, questions, and just serving as an inspiration.

Definitely, yeah. Thanks again.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't know I had made this long post in the map thread. Thought it was my own for some reason. Sorry, guys.

This was intended to be Maghrebi founded yes, im sorry i didn't put that over clearly enough. It's just had a lot of European French immigration, and they've been smoothly assimilated.#

Also y'know, I'm hardly a mapmaking legend :p

And while I don't have exact figures for tourists, they're the ones forming the various non-French mini states.

Last edited:
IRON STORM WIP .png

I found an old WIP for a map of the Iron Storm video game that I'm not going to finish - at least in this form - so I figured I'd just post it here.

Would the House of York really name their heir Henry rather than Edward?
It's a wip, so no idea. Technically including the descendants of George, Duke of Clarence in the family try is a spoiler, so I'm also reconsidering that, too.

The tl:dr is that Richard IV is swayed by the arguments if an all alt-Lutheran priest and ends up in a diplomatic row with the Pope, while his nephew Edward de la Pole claims the throne for the Catholic side.

Status
Not open for further replies.