Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of that version being the 'common name' for the country. 'Czechoslovakia' yes, 'Czech Republic', yes; 'Czechia' or 'Bohemia-Moravia', no.

The Czech government recently formally introduced a short-form name of their country in English, "Czechia", and ran a little PR campaign to get people to use it instead of "the Czech Republic" all the time.

EDIT: as a side comment, the country's name in their own language has been "Česko" for a long time (compare "Česká republika"). Wiki also claims that Czechia has been around for a while, though never popular.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that "Czech" uses "Cz" instead of "Č" because the former is an archaic spelling and the name was brought into English before the spelling reforms that replaced it with the latter.

Of Soot and Ash.png

A land of Soot and Ash, before I add the Key. Any questions?

Any reason for Anglo-Portuguese union?

World is very very cold and only the strongest states, could survive, or equatorial states. Portugal. World is powered by Geothermal energy, something Portugal lacked massively. They teamed up with the British in a personal union type deal to survive. Portuguese is the linga franca of many English possessions.

World is very very cold and only the strongest states, could survive, or equatorial states. Portugal. World is powered by Geothermal energy, something Portugal lacked massively. They teamed up with the British in a personal union type deal to survive. Portuguese is the linga franca of many English possessions.
I feel a different color would be needed, or for each to have the outline of each other because, frankly, I would say the Portuguese would be stronger in this world than the English.

Faeelin

Banned
Considering the fact that the ISOT bandwagon has started up again, I figured I'd hop on. I was thinking of ISOTing countries based off the last letter in their common English names, starting with "A", which would be these countries:

How did America not go?

To be fair, United States on its own is pretty much as popular of a *common* name for the USA as plain America.

So in this case, the ASB could justifiably place the United States in either A or S world.
I left it out because I was thinking of "United States," but since people seem to think of "America" I'll put it in.

I left it out because I was thinking of "United States," but since people seem to think of "America" I'll put it in.

Well like I said, either is correct in terms of "Common English Name."

Personally, I think placing the United States in S world would be more interesting, but honestly, I'd be interested in seeing whatever you come up with.

Here's a map I made for fun!

AlternateSouthAsia2.jpg

South Asia in 2017, alternate history version. The British came and conquered as OTL, but not as much. Mysore, Hyderabad and the Marathas were all slightly richer and better organized and were able to stay independent, though they had to kowtow to British interests a lot (except for Mysore, a French ally). Bengal came under direct British control, while most of Northern India and what is now Pakistan was princely states under British influence, but no direct control.

Islamistan, the Republic of the Punjab and the Republic of Free India were technically under the British controlled Mughal figureheads, but when the British grew weak there was a revolution and after a short civil war, the three modern republics emerged (around 1930-40ish). Bengal remained under British control and became independent in the 1960s, but retained the British monarch as their sovereign. Ceylon also became independent around the same time, but chose to become a republic and change their name to Sri Lanka.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Ganesha

Well like I said, either is correct in terms of "Common English Name."

Personally, I think placing the United States in S world would be more interesting, but honestly, I'd be interested in seeing whatever you come up with.
I think that the map would be more interesting if the US was left out, since there's already so many large countries in the -a map.

OK, the finalized map for Venusian Si and his ABC world scenario.

Similar to Beedok's series, only the ASB in this case sent the countries for three letters rather than one. It generally did better than the individual A B and C worlds, having more functional centers of civilization, more human and technological resources, and less geographical isolation. Still, with no USA, Russia, India, or all-Europe EC to compete, China has still come to dominate, if not as absolutely as in "C". Major secondary powers are (in descending order) Brazil, the Andean Union (sometimes just called "Andea"), the African Union, The New EU (a more unified structure than OTLs EU, well on its way towards a United States of Europe, at least in its core Belgian-Austrian-Czech-Croat-Bosnian area), Algeria, and Australia. Brazil, the Andean Union, and one of the other Powers in combination could offer a real challenge to Chinese dominance, but fortunately Brazil and the Andeans have been rivals almost from the start of the ISOT. (Indeed, it's only thank to sheer luck - and perhaps a wonder about what the Chinese will get up to - that has kept them from a full WWI/WWII type throwdown over all these years).

View attachment 332659

:cool:

I would like to see more scenarios similar to this, starting with the letters D, E and F. ;)

I feel a different color would be needed, or for each to have the outline of each other because, frankly, I would say the Portuguese would be stronger in this world than the English.

Not really. English is more dominant. World only started majorly deviantating around the 1830's.

Is that a Dutch Australia? How the Hades that happen?

Who has gone the most native? I know the Europeans still has the homelands, but giving the large died off that most have happen..

How is there even a Mexico with the US taking Northern South America?

Dutch were more interested in Australia ITTL than OTL due to desire to search for Coal. In addition the Dutch conquered part of it during their civil war and the Australian revolution.

The Brits may have actually gone the most native, if you don't count the half-mongol Eastern Russians. The British have their de-facto capital in South Africa, but the area is mostly White nowadays due to diaspora.

Mexico is backed by the Germans, and actually quite powerful. The US is a waning power, following the American Civil War. They don't have enough strength to take on the German war machine and keep their unhappy Spanish speaking subjects in order.

Dutch were more interested in Australia ITTL than OTL due to desire to search for Coal. In addition the Dutch conquered part of it during their civil war and the Australian revolution.

The Brits may have actually gone the most native, if you don't count the half-mongol Eastern Russians. The British have their de-facto capital in South Africa, but the area is mostly White nowadays due to diaspora.

Mexico is backed by the Germans, and actually quite powerful. The US is a waning power, following the American Civil War. They don't have enough strength to take on the German war machine and keep their unhappy Spanish speaking subjects in order.

Ah. I see. What about the Russians? Has any of them turn into Muslims, or speak Turkic/Persian? (Central Asia plus Iran would put ethnic Russians at a major disadvantage, as well as customs and religion. Same for that other Russian power in China?)

Was it over Slavery, but the North the ones that left?

You said oil was never seen as a viable resource, but could that change at some point?

I think that the map would be more interesting if the US was left out, since there's already so many large countries in the -a map.

Agreed.

:cool:

I would like to see more scenarios similar to this, starting with the letters D, E and F. ;)

Actually it's funny you mention that!

I do have concrete plans for a DEF world (basically a Franco-Egyptian "Cold War") and a few ideas for a GHI world (What to do with India and the Americas is proving a bit tricky though).

Hopefully they'll be written before the end of the year. :p

Cross-posting again from "On a more Positive Note" - this time about the FIFA World Cup.

FIFA World Cup Hosts and Winners: 2018-2280

2018: Russia
Germany vs. France 1-0 a.e.t.
2022: Qatar
Germany vs. Qatar 3-0
2026: USA-Canada-Mexico/
USA vs. Netherlands 3-1
2030: ASEAN
USA vs. Brazil 1-0
2034: Germany
France vs. USA 7-6 a.p.
2038: The Mediterranean
France vs. Italy 2-1
2042: China
China vs. Germany 8-7 a.p.
2046: East Africa
East Africa vs. France 3-2
2050: USA
East Africa vs. USA 2-0
2054: cancelled
2058: UK, Norway, Sweden, Denmark
England vs. East Africa 1-0
2060: Switzerland, Austria, Italy
East Africa vs. Germany 2-1
2064: Brazil
Brazil vs. Germany 4-0
2068: Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg
Netherlands vs. Germany 2-1
2072: Japan/Korea
China vs. England 2-0
2076: The Moon
Oyo vs. England 3-1
2080: East Africa
Germany vs. China 1-0
2084: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary
Poland vs. China 3-2
2088: Empire of Iran
Germany vs. England 6-5 a.p.
2092: Colombia, Ecuador, Peru
Germany vs. Colombia 5-2
2096: Mars
Ireland vs. Angola 2-1
2100: Mexico
Angola vs. Germany 2-1
2104: Turkey
Foula Federation vs. France 2-0
2108: Europe (= a "FIFA nation" going from Tallin to Lisbon to Baku)
Europe vs. Foula Federation 1-0
2112: Foula Federation
Foula Federation vs. Germany 5-3 a.p.
2116: Nusantara
France vs. Europe 4-3 a.e.t
2120: Proxima b
Europe vs. France 2-1
2124: Mars
Europe vs. USA 3-1
2128: USA
Europe vs. Proxima b 2-0
2132: Germany
Europe vs. Germany 3-1
2136: Ethiopia
Brazil vs. Europe 4-2
2140: Brazil
Brazil vs. France 2-1
2144: India
Europe vs. England 3-0
2148: Australia
Europe vs. Foula Federation 4-1
2152: Moon
Germany vs. Europe 2-0
2156: Mexico
Mexico vs. Germany 6-4 a.p.
2160: Europe
Europe vs. China 1-0
2162: Saturn
Saturn vs. USA 2-1
2164: Federated Republics of the Congo
France vs. Foula Federation 2-1
2168: Argentina
Uruguay vs. Argentina 2-0
2172: Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia
Luna vs. China 3-1
2176: UEFS (Russia)
Uranus-Neptune vs. Europe 2-1
2180: Hausa/Oyo/Biafra
Europe vs. Hausa 2-1 a.e.t
2184: Empire of Iran
Inner Onohul vs. Iran 2-0
2188: Guatemala/Honduras/Nicaragua/Costa Rica
Europe vs. Inner Onohul 15-14 a.p.
2192: Inner Onohul
Europe vs. Inner Onohul 8-7 a.p.
2196: Peru/Bolivia
Inner Onohul vs. France 4-2
2200: Benelux
France vs. Europe 2-1
2204: Foula Federation
France vs. Benelux 4-0
2208: USA
Europe vs. USA 3-1
2212: India
Germany vs. Europe 1-0
2216: Brazil
Germany vs. Brazil 8-7 a.p.
2220: Europe
Europe vs. China 2-1 a.e.t
2224: South Africa
England vs. Angola 3-0
2228: Caribbean
Angola vs. Nordic Union 3-1 a.e.t
2232: Proxima b
Angola vs. Empire of Iran 10-9 a.p.
2236: Canada
Europe vs. Outer Onohul 5-3 a.e.t
2240: Federated Republics of the Congo
Federated Republics of the Congo vs. Angola 1-0 a.e.t
2244: Germany
France vs. Germany 2-0
2248: Nusantara
Europe vs. France 1-0
2252: Argentina
France vs. Europe 2-0
2256: Jupiter
Europe vs. Jupiter 5-2 a.p.
2260: East Africa
East Africa vs. England 6-4 a.e.t.
2264: Inner and Outer Onohul
Inner Onohul vs. Outer Onohul 3-1
2268: Europe
Inner Onohul vs. Europe 6-5 a.p.
2272: China
Foula Federation vs. China 3-2
2276: USA
USA vs. Europe 5-4 a.e.t
2280: Foula Federation
Foula Federation vs. Europe 2-0
2284: Brazil
2288: Washington

FIFA World Cup 1930 to 2276.png

What happen to Canada?

How is life in Austria, the New Yugoslav Union, China, Brazil, Belgium, Australia and Andeans?

In regards to Canada, stresses caused by the ISOT and infighting between the provinces eventually led to the country's dissolution and the renaming of the remainder as the Confederation of the Great Lakes.

Ultimately though, it's a case of poor luck than an inevitability in the aftermath of the ISOT.

As for life in the countries mentioned, I'd said pretty great. By OTL standards, they would be all be considered First World, but then Tech levels are somewhere in the 2050-2100 range, so it's kinda comparing Apples to oranges.

Of particular note is Australia, which does have different governing policies for its Urban City-states and "Rural" territories, but that's the one facet that really stands out.

Status
Not open for further replies.