Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy hell its been a long time, but here is my "Federation of the Danube" the borders are based of of the Danube Basin.
the basin:
map2.jpg

the country:
upload_2017-7-10_1-2-17.png

OK, the finalized map for Venusian Si and his ABC world scenario.

Similar to Beedok's series, only the ASB in this case sent the countries for three letters rather than one. It generally did better than the individual A B and C worlds, having more functional centers of civilization, more human and technological resources, and less geographical isolation. Still, with no USA, Russia, India, or all-Europe EC to compete, China has still come to dominate, if not as absolutely as in "C". Major secondary powers are (in descending order) Brazil, the Andean Union (sometimes just called "Andea"), the African Union, The New EU (a more unified structure than OTLs EU, well on its way towards a United States of Europe, at least in its core Belgian-Austrian-Czech-Croat-Bosnian area), Algeria, and Australia. Brazil, the Andean Union, and one of the other Powers in combination could offer a real challenge to Chinese dominance, but fortunately Brazil and the Andeans have been rivals almost from the start of the ISOT. (Indeed, it's only thank to sheer luck - and perhaps a wonder about what the Chinese will get up to - that has kept them from a full WWI/WWII type throwdown over all these years).

ABC2.png

It's similar to the OTL Iberian Union; all of these countries are independent but closely aligned to Portugal. The Central European Union is a "colony" of the Latin Kingdom. Portugal doesn't dominate the New World, its ally Castile => Spain => Latin Kingdom does, although it's subordinate to Portugal (think Iberian Union in reverse). The Muslim lands are aligned to Portugal, which adopted a tolerant policy towards all non-Catholics by accepting any who pledge loyalty to it and who don't attempt to overthrow the Catholic monarchy; many Muslim sheikhs and sultans agreed to Portuguese protection. Portugal proper is about 60% Catholic and 40% loyal non-Catholics (a mixture of Jews, Muslims, and Protestants as well as Hindu and Buddhist immigrants).

Are you saying Castile and Leon are subordinate to Portugal, and France and Italy are subordinate to Castile? [1] Besides the somewhat dubious nature of such an arrangement, you listed the Latin Kingdom as a separate power from Portugal: who is the King of this Kingdom?

(And I see west Africa is a separate state. Is that a former Portuguese colony that made good, or what?)

[1] Castile, or most of it, is shown as part of the Latin Kingdom on the map: if this is the situation, wouldn't a lighter shade of Portuguese Green for the whole of the Latin Kingdom make more sense? And why is Britain full-on Portuguese green?

Confession time: was thinking of adding this to my "make a cover of" list, but I need to understand just what's going on first.

fashbasher

Banned
Confession time: was thinking of adding this to my "make a cover of" list, but I need to understand just what's going on first.

Brazil, Cape Verde, and the Latin Kingdom are independent states, although the Atlantic Empire (Portugal + Morocco + British Isles, merged under an Act of Union) is the #1 power (they are all pretty close behind it though). The Atlantic Empire and Latin share a king (personal union, similar to the OTL Iberian Union). The Latin Kingdom is a Castile that gobbled up large portions of France and Italy as well as a little bit of Greece. The rest of Europe is a proto-EU of various states that have pledged loyalty to the Latin Kingdom. Russia and China are the largest fully independent powers, although the quadruple alliance (Brazil, Portugal, CV, LK) is months away from implosion.

OK, the finalized map for Venusian Si and his ABC world scenario.

Similar to Beedok's series, only the ASB in this case sent the countries for three letters rather than one. It generally did better than the individual A B and C worlds, having more functional centers of civilization, more human and technological resources, and less geographical isolation. Still, with no USA, Russia, India, or all-Europe EC to compete, China has still come to dominate, if not as absolutely as in "C". Major secondary powers are (in descending order) Brazil, the Andean Union (sometimes just called "Andea"), the African Union, The New EU (a more unified structure than OTLs EU, well on its way towards a United States of Europe, at least in its core Belgian-Austrian-Czech-Croat-Bosnian area), Algeria, and Australia. Brazil, the Andean Union, and one of the other Powers in combination could offer a real challenge to Chinese dominance, but fortunately Brazil and the Andeans have been rivals almost from the start of the ISOT. (Indeed, it's only thank to sheer luck - and perhaps a wonder about what the Chinese will get up to - that has kept them from a full WWI/WWII type throwdown over all these years).

View attachment 332659

What happen to Canada?

How is life in Austria, the New Yugoslav Union, China, Brazil, Belgium, Australia and Andeans?

Considering the fact that the ISOT bandwagon has started up again, I figured I'd hop on. I was thinking of ISOTing countries based off the last letter in their common English names, starting with "A", which would be these countries:
upload_2017-7-10_13-53-47.png

Looking at this, it appears there'd be at least a few things in common with @B_Munro's map, except it would have less China domination since it'd have to compete with India and Russia.

Asami

Banned
Considering the fact that the ISOT bandwagon has started up again, I figured I'd hop on. I was thinking of ISOTing countries based off the last letter in their common English names, starting with "A", which would be these countries:
View attachment 332733
Looking at this, it appears there'd be at least a few things in common with @B_Munro's map, except it would have less China domination since it'd have to compete with India and Russia.
You're missing something.

Cross-posting from my FH project "On A More Positive Note", a collaborative future history from 2017 to 2276/2280 with the intent of being plausibly positive. And, depending on your view, utopian!

2276 Election.png

The 2276 election, with the newly admitted State of Constitution:

Movses M. Vanian (CW-KO)/Hunter J. Ambrose (CW-MO) def.
Brad H. Woods (NR-EE)/Supendra K. Narayani (NR-KE)

The most important swing states - with the least advantage of the one or other candidate - of this campaign were:

Illinois
Mananda
Missouri
Texas
Proxima
Trinity
Jefferson
Ekene
Jupiter

you forgot the (united states of) america

also kenya, uganda, tanzania, tonga and micronesia.

Also Tanzania.

And Czech Republic shouldn't be included, unless you're going by the archaic and (now) obsolete name, Bohemia.

... and Tanzania and Uganda.
Geez, looks like I forgot more than I thought I did. (also, I included the Czech Republic because one name for it is "Czechia," which is what Google Maps calls it) Here's a better version:
upload_2017-7-10_14-35-9.png

I have never heard of that version being the 'common name' for the country. 'Czechoslovakia' yes, 'Czech Republic', yes; 'Czechia' or 'Bohemia-Moravia', no.
Czechia is actualy somewhat common and is technically the proper short name. There is a push in Czechia to officially adopt it, but I think that has stalled lately.

Edit: it is, in fact, official. Czechia is shorthand while Czech Republic is the full official name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.