Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Gotta Get Out of This Place.png

Map of the World of the We Gotta Get Out of This Place, date 2017

This is the world where the 1960s never ended (more specifically 1964-65). The United States maintains its its series of alliances with the Anglosphere. Britain never really left Kenya and maintained Rhodesia as a Dominion. Nyasaland gained independence but still fell into the sphere of Rhodesia. South Africa meanwhile still has Apartheid, and maintains a white puppet state in Bechuanaland as the Republican of Bechuanaland. The US itself is still somewhat shakey after the New Afrika Conflict of 1969. The Democrats still reign in the South, Jim Crow hasn't ended. And finally in 1969 with New Afrika Conflict, a guerilla war in the south that was sparked by the assasinations of Martin Luther King Jr. and George C. Wallace. Meanwhile in Southeast Asia, though limited, the Vietnam War continues. Meanwhile the Cold War and the Berlin Wall still stands. The 2nd Cuban Civil War (1961-1966) eventualy saw Cuba stay Communist of all things. In South America the puppet dictators still rule on. Meanwhile Portugal, South Africa, and Rhodesia, continue the fight in the Portuguese African colonies, with continued victories, and Rhodesia's fear fo Mugabe and his supporters. Israel continues its occupations, the following 1967-73-83-99 Wars all saw the Arab Coalitions continued failures. Across both sides of the pond, the British Invasion Continues, the supergroups reign over the American charts still drawing in huge crowds. Eric Clapton had somewhat succeded in his formation of the band Cream, but he was getting his butt kicked by the later 70s supergroup of the Yardbirds, with their twin guitarists, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page. Meanwhile the Sino-Soviet Cold War continues, though they sometimes clash ont eh border, there is not much activity, only guerilla warfare in Central Asia and Xinxiang.

This is the world where the 1960s never ended (more specifically 1964-65)

The Democrats still reign in the South, Jim Crow hasn't ended.

Since it was in 1964 that the Democratic president Lyndon Johnson pushed through the Civil Rights act against the resistance of much of his own party, I don't think these things are entirely compatible: the Democratic Party can't really spend half a century both pushing for civil rights and fighting against them, unless it's some sort of unresolved quantum party. :p

Since it was in 1964 that the Democratic president Lyndon Johnson pushed through the Civil Rights act against the resistance of much of his own party, I don't think these things are entirely compatible: the Democratic Party can't really spend half a century both pushing for civil rights and fighting against them, unless it's some sort of unresolved quantum party. :p
I forgot, oh well, at least I mentioned Mr. Segregation

View attachment 316577
Map of the World of the We Gotta Get Out of This Place, date 2017
First thing I thought awhen seeing the map was of whether Rhodesia calls itself a dominion in its official title and if they stuck around mostly so they get the only dominion color. Guess there is no issues like with South Rhodesia still claiming to be under the Crown. Odd that South Africa would annex two densly populated African Kingdoms filled with mountains and potentially fearsome fighters, especially when not officially making Namibia part of their country. Depending on how that grey border is taken to mean.

What are things like with Israel? Are the Sinai, Gaza, West Bank, and Golan heights under occupational governments just not shown with different colors, or are the Israelis colonizing any of the areas? And how did the Egyptians agree to let the Suez remain open? I imagine they would block things on their side while the Israelis did the same. And is Turkey not occupying or backing up an independent north Cyprus? Does West Pakistan continue their policy of overturning any election leading to a Bengali President or Prime Minister?

What are things like with Israel? Are the Sinai, Gaza, West Bank, and Golan heights under occupational governments just not shown with different colors, or are the Israelis colonizing any of the areas? And how did the Egyptians agree to let the Suez remain open? I imagine they would block things on their side while the Israelis did the same.
I'm not the person you are replying to, but here are my thoughts.

As well as the areas you mentioned, it looks like Israel has also managed to take the northwestern corner of Jordan - something similar to this map.

And given that the Arab coalition has apparently had repeated failures in their wars against Israel, I expect that Israel might have permanently taken the west bank of the Suez Canal by now. This would stop the Egyptians from blocking it.

Well, I certainly can't put it in the alternate planets thread, and it seems a little unsporting for the OTL Map Thread...

So, our favorite three Oh-Tee-El lumpsarock- Mars, Mercury, Moon.
Mercury and the Moon are originally by @Golbolco, Mars is originally by @rvbomally.

threebody.png

Are(were?) those the claims of the government of Morocco? I knew they claimed Spanish Sahara, I didn't know they claimed half of Mali...
It was based upon old claims. I believe it included some states in the Sahara and Sahel that were tributaries of sorts to the Morrocans once, and then they just drew some extra lines to include it all. They finally dropped most of the claims when Mauritania and Morocco split Western Sahara.

Here. It's a little rough around the edges from what I've seen, but I know I'm gonna be using it more now because it lets me flesh out more proof of concept ideas where even the relatively small amount of minutae the Worlda requires can be difficult to research.
I think it's also very good if you just want to make a Location map, where worlda is just too large.

I am fully aware that Mexican industrial and military capability was vastly inferior to the United States at the time of the POD. The plausibility of this scenario is borderline ASB.

Napoleon of the West

In this world, Antonio López de Santa Anna, the self-styled ‘Napoleon of the West’ lived up to his namesake’s legacy. His campaign of 1836 was a vast success, and the government of the upstart Republic of Texas was completely destroyed by the end of the summer. The Harrisburg Massacre of August 1836 led to the death of five hundred Texian civilians and Mexican relations with the United States drastically worsened.
  • The First Mexican-American War broke out in 1839. Mexican forces marched to the Atlantic and sacked Charleston. Mexico annexed everything west of the Mississippi and took Florida while forcing Southern independence. Successive wars led to the near-total destruction of the United States. A rump United States exists with its capital in Columbus.
  • After defeating the United States, President for Life Antonio López de Santa Anna crowned himself Emperor of the Mexicans, declaring the Second Mexican Empire. Under the guidance of famed reactionary Lucas Alamán, a conservative, modern state was forged.
  • Butterflies pushed the 1848 Revolutions later. The United States of Europe was declared by German nationalists in 1866 gaining all German Confederation land not under the direct rule of Austria. Related revolutions weakened Austria almost to the breaking point. Under liberal nationalist rule, the United States defeated Austria in 1872, before turning on France. The British and Dutch joined the French, and managed to only lose slightly.
  • The British and United States of Europe found themselves on the same side in 1892, when conflicting Anglo-Russian interests in Central Asia led to outright war. The Russians were handily defeated. Most of its European territory was sliced off into republics in the German sphere while the British carved out what became known as the District of Turkestan. Russia slowly drifted into the Mexican sphere.
  • A Christian China was established under the Yang Dynasty (Yang meaning looking upwards, i.e. to Heaven). The Church of China is very similar to the Church of England and a majority of the population belong to it. As a constitutional monarchy, it has sided with the British, though there is still some animosity over the fact the British hold formerly Chinese territory taken by force in living memory.
  • The world is now divided into three ideological blocs. The Mexicans lead the reactionary bloc, comprised primarily of traditionalist, Catholic monarchies. The British-led group is primarily constitutional monarchies (though the functionality of these constitutions is highly variable). The United States of Europe is by far the strongest power by far that is party to the Treaty of Leipzig. Other signatory states are republics and all subscribe to a theory of an international brotherhood of nationalist republics. Both other alliances are interested in eliminating the republicans but, for less ideological reasons, are not exactly friendly.
napoleonofthewest2-png.316533

Status
Not open for further replies.