Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I had started cutting it down (I was originally going to get as many as I felt like then cut it down to 25 nominations, because I always felt too little maps got nominated. Stuff from the beginning of the year also usually gets passed over.) so there isn't 50 something anymore. Still it should be a pretty good summary of maps that I thought were particularly interesting or well done this year. Every single one of your's and Reagent's stuff would have been included but I thought that would have been slightly unfair.

My "nominations" for best maps of 2014: http://pastebin.com/n0vCuqF0

Just gotta say "Thankee" for even considering to nominate one of my maps ^^

Well I had started cutting it down (I was originally going to get as many as I felt like then cut it down to 25 nominations, because I always felt too little maps got nominated. Stuff from the beginning of the year also usually gets passed over.) so there isn't 50 something anymore. Still it should be a pretty good summary of maps that I thought were particularly interesting or well done this year. Every single one of your's and Reagent's stuff would have been included but I thought that would have been slightly unfair.

Awww yis, I'm on there too. Great list, too! :D

I've been working on a future history map, and I've almost finished it.
Shall I presume that the Freudians and other minorities in the region of northeast Italy have no lost this flange amount of fiscal autonomy in favor of being squeezed to keep Venice a place for tourists form the mainland? As for the Bosniaks, I think they might have some allies with the Bosniacs in the area of the Sanjak that you have near the Montenegrin border. There would also be plenty of lobbyists in Western Europe who are against the removal of Muslims from the political map. It seems that Kosovo, Albania, Turkey, and perhaps the rightfully fearful Montenegro would not stand for this. Also, is Gagauzia lumped in with Transnistria? Does Adjara still autonomy? Will Hungary go for the Magyar lands in Serbia and will Finland make a quick dash into NATO without negotiations so that the Russians don't invade first? And props for an independent country for the Belgian German-Speaking Community.

Sketching in the World-M Rivers is in progress...

North America = 0% Complete
South America = 30% Complete
Europe = 10% Complete
Africa = 95% Complete
Asia = 40% Complete
Oceania = 95% Complete

Here is a preview:

river_showcase.png

This my interpretation of the year 2014 in the game "CNG: Rise of Nations" from the Moderated Games thread and in my humble opinion, one of the best games ever to come out of the sub-forum. Starting with a Peshawar-Lancers scenario in 1863, the game developed in an alternate technological direction, culminating in a very 1950s/1960s view of the future (Jetsonpunk) and a three-way cold war between disunited liberals, militant communists and dangerously competent fascists.

Major credit must also be given to Promethean, who did his own tribute back in 2013. I decided to expand upon the general premise and structure of his map with more information, especially on the space activities of the blocs.

Promethean´s map can be viewed here.

A raw image of my map can be found here

Medostandardmew_zpsf0cf70fb.png~original

But are you saying that in the future a Bosniak state alongside Serbian and Croation annexations is probable or even possible? Because the rump state would look a bit, eh, like a patchwork of Bosniak areas. Not really contiguous.
Not at all. I honestly think another war involving the same sides as in the 1992-1995 war is highly improbable, but I wouldn't say impossible.

As far as the Bosniak state goes, I don't think the Bosniaks would stand alone, or would have to suffer an arms embargo like the last time, which would open the possibility of linking up the Krajina-Bosnia-Herzegovina pockets trough corridors. You would still end up with territorial concessions, but a contiguous state is quite possible. If the Bosniaks were armed and ready like the Serbs and Croats were from the start, the war would have had a very different outcome.

It's funny how 9/10 of every "future" map has Bosnia and Herzegovina completely dissolving and annexed by its neighbors, when the best chance for that has come and gone in 1992 and will most likely never come again. The Bosniaks were severely outgunned in 1992 and yet they still managed to hold out 3 years more than any serious military analyst could have predicted, so I would definitely not underestimate them. Give them a military and weapons from the start, and you can expect them to give a good fight.

Nicely done Guderian or should that be beard. I assume the areas of colored Ocean represent seafloor colonization?

Neat. Think you could make a World-M map of 2014? Would be very helpful.

I support that proposal

I'll see what I can do. I still want to attempt drawing rivers onto the World-M first.

Thank you :)

Thanks. We could also try to aid and abet each other, michaelk. I will start a new thread for this purpose.

Sketching in the World-M Rivers is in progress...

North America = 0% Complete
South America = 30% Complete
Europe = 10% Complete
Africa = 95% Complete
Asia = 40% Complete
Oceania = 95% Complete

Here is a preview:

I love it! Please progress further, please, as soon as possible!

Nicely done Guderian or should that be beard. I assume the areas of colored Ocean represent seafloor colonization?

Yes, they do. Or at least zones mapped and claimed, if not actively populated/exploited. AgentDark is the resident scary nut in MGs, and his Aztecs pioneered that IIRC. As to the 'why' of it, I'm not sure.

Shall I presume that the Freudians and other minorities in the region of northeast Italy have no lost this flange amount of fiscal autonomy in favor of being squeezed to keep Venice a place for tourists form the mainland?
I'm not sure I understand... Freudians?

As for the Bosniaks, I think they might have some allies with the Bosniacs in the area of the Sanjak that you have near the Montenegrin border. There would also be plenty of lobbyists in Western Europe who are against the removal of Muslims from the political map. It seems that Kosovo, Albania, Turkey, and perhaps the rightfully fearful Montenegro would not stand for this.
Hmm, yeah, like I said, the Balkans are going to be revised anyway.

Also, is Gagauzia lumped in with Transnistria?
Well, it's not the same country, if that's what you're asking, and neither is it in the exact same situation. Whereas Transnistria is in roughly the same state as today, a Russian-backed separatist country, Gagauzia is a more recent secession (believed to be Russian-backed too), but not a very violent one.

Does Adjara still autonomy?
Yes, certainly. Georgia is a rather free, prospering nation - unlike neighbours like Azerbaijan (mistakenly shown as a NATO ally; it should be a neutral state), Armenia and the Russian Caucasus.

Will Hungary go for the Magyar lands in Serbia ...
Nope, since they're both within the Russian sphere of influence. Putin doesn't want conflicts within this, and wouldn't allow his puppet (Orbán) to even consider this idea.

... and will Finland make a quick dash into NATO without negotiations so that the Russians don't invade first?
Why would the Russians ever invade in the first place? I'm afraid that, although the EU isn't a superpower or anything, attacking a EU member state is a step too far for Putin in this scenario.

And props for an independent country for the Belgian German-Speaking Community.
Yes, yes! They're independent and soevereign, but also a de jure protectorate of Luxembourg (army, foreign relations and some other things are taken care of by the Luxembourgers).

Not at all. I honestly think another war involving the same sides as in the 1992-1995 war is highly improbable, but I wouldn't say impossible.
Yeah it's probably not going to happen. Croatia is also inside the EU nowadays...

As far as the Bosniak state goes, I don't think the Bosniaks would stand alone, or would have to suffer an arms embargo like the last time, which would open the possibility of linking up the Krajina-Bosnia-Herzegovina pockets trough corridors. You would still end up with territorial concessions, but a contiguous state is quite possible. If the Bosniaks were armed and ready like the Serbs and Croats were from the start, the war would have had a very different outcome.
I agree. But it's unlikely to happen again and give the Bosniaks a country of their own in the future.

It's funny how 9/10 of every "future" map has Bosnia and Herzegovina completely dissolving and annexed by its neighbors, when the best chance for that has come and gone in 1992 and will most likely never come again. The Bosniaks were severely outgunned in 1992 and yet they still managed to hold out 3 years more than any serious military analyst could have predicted, so I would definitely not underestimate them. Give them a military and weapons from the start, and you can expect them to give a good fight.
I had no clue how common it was to expect a dissolution of Bosnia and Herzegovina, really.

Thanks, and yeah it can get a bit silly at times with the output of some mapmakers (though I've been more focused on the OTL Councils this year). Thanks for the sentiment though:).

Seeing my name on it gives me hope that someone will nominate me :p The amount new one-nomination-rule and the no-selfnomination-rule are really seeming to cut down the numbers of nominees.

Status
Not open for further replies.