Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that reminds me of needing to work on my own Medieval America scenario. Fantastic as always, Bee, especially that basemap. Real pretty. :)

The basemap is mine, and thanks. :D

I've reopened my DeviantArt and have added two versions of the World-M if people want to take a look.
http://discordia-terra.deviantart.com/

I'll probably leave them alone for now and do the rivers and touch-ups some other time when I'm in the mood.

Last edited:
Map of the Scottish Empire with colonies and overseas possessions at the height of its influence in the 18th century:

Scotland.png

Scotland.png

I've been working on a future history map, and I've almost finished it. It needs some more Pacific Islands done as well as some other details and (!) annotations à la Munro. But, I've also worked on an alliances map of Europe (still a bit WiP-ish). Tell me what you think :) The two main blocks are NATO and Russia (yes, cliché, I know) with some neutral countries in between. Dark blue indicates NATO membership (outline for the most siginificant members) and lighter blue means associate state or ally of NATO. Russia's internal divisions are not depicted on this map, and de facto controlled areas are simply illustrated as if incorporated in Russia proper (the final map will be a lot more detailed). De facto puppet states - in other words: Russia's sphere of influence - are shown in a lighter shade. These are: Transnistria, Donbass, Latgola (a.k.a. Daugavpils Republic) and Narva. Also considered within the Russian sphere are Armenia, Kazakhstan (as well as other Central Asian countries), and Hungary (kicked out of the EU and NATO after violent clashes during anti-government protests... a nasty state nowadays, lots of political refugees... but underground resistance is thought to bring change soon). Greece is a complex case: it's still inside the EU and NATO, but rumours are that they're actually on the Russian side, politically, due to economic aid.

Former Yugoslavia experienced another era of troubles, but not nearly as violent. In fact, a negotiated solution for once worked out. No one believed it would ever happen, but Serbia recognised Kosovo. Macedonia has been split up, angering Greece and some Macedonians, but both Albania and Serbia are pleased. The same goes for Bosnia-Herzegovina. Croatia peacefully annexed Croatian and Muslim/Bosniak populated areas, the latter receiving autonomous areas. Serbia also changed its administrative divisions. However, the autonomous areas in Serbia (Bačka, Srem, Banat, Serbian Herzegovina, Macedonia and Serbian Bosnia) do not enjoy much de facto self-rule. There is an armed but almost frozen conflict in Muslim-populated areas in Serbia and Montenegro, though... Bosniaks there demanded the same self-rule the Bosniaks in Croatia received. But will the Sandžak Republic last?

The yellow-ish capitals indicate the member states of the European Union - which has not federalised at all, perhaps one may say it has become a bit looser, politically, but surely stronger economically.

Note that only Europe is depicted, which means that there are other notable blocks. The Second Cold War (Cold War II) has become a frequently used phrase, but it's different. Colder.

Any more questions?

future world map new - spheres of influence.png

Well, there's some very... odd bits there. Such as Hungary managing to Transcarpathia (Hungarians for 12.1% of the population entirely on the border), Macedonia being partitioned (not only are the Macedonians not going to stand for that, but Serbia has neither the ability nor the desire to annex Macedonia), Croatia annexing any bits of BiH (it was suggested in the 90s, but Zagreb's not touching it with a barge pole due to economic issues, not wanting to deal with that mess and the fact that Serbia would then have an argument for resurrecting the RSK) and the Bosniak population in the Sanzjak region is localised in the far south so wouldn't be able to occupy the entire area due to local Serbian support for Belgrade being almost certain.

Also, Independent Venice, but not Catalonia? The latter has much greater support than the former. And Estonia and Latvia are in NATO, so if Russia sends troops into Narva and Daugavplis- the only way those republics will survive- then they are going to have a war going on, there's far too many members of NATO who are not going to let the organisation just die because it's been proved to be unwilling to face up against Russia, and that would be political suicide in the States as well.

Former Yugoslavia experienced another era of troubles, but not nearly as violent. In fact, a negotiated solution for once worked out. No one believed it would ever happen, but Serbia recognised Kosovo. Macedonia has been split up, angering Greece and some Macedonians, but both Albania and Serbia are pleased. The same goes for Bosnia-Herzegovina. Croatia peacefully annexed Croatian and Muslim/Bosniak populated areas, the latter receiving autonomous areas. Serbia also changed its administrative divisions. However, the autonomous areas in Serbia (Bačka, Srem, Banat, Serbian Herzegovina, Macedonia and Serbian Bosnia) do not enjoy much de facto self-rule. There is an armed but almost frozen conflict in Muslim-populated areas in Serbia and Montenegro, though... Bosniaks there demanded the same self-rule the Bosniaks in Croatia received. But will the Sandžak Republic last?
2 million Bosniaks giving up their independence in their homeland, with far more favorable defensive position and terrain, while 150k manage to hold their own in what is seen as an integral part of Serbia (Sandžak used to be Raška/Rascia)? Yeah, not likely. The idea of the Serbs pulling a fast one on them again is about as likely as a cold day in Hell.

Also the idea of Bosniak-Croat union is long dead. The only reason the Federation exist today is political necessity. If given a choice, neither side would accept it. A rump Bosniak-dominated Bosnia and Herzegovina is far more likely than annexation of those territories where they form a majority, even if Serbia and Croatia could magically make common cause and try to split the country between them.

>tfw looked though every single map and post in the map thread made during 2014, collecting 52 nominations for the Turtledoves only to realize 1 nomination per category rule. Would people be interested in seeing the full list anyway?

WiP I'm semi stuck on. Trying to medieval + stereotypes.

This looks really neat. Is it a pre-columbian, Europe transposed onto NA, a combination or something else?

I beg you to write a timeline about this. Please oh please it looks interesting as hell.

Hey thanks! That really means a lot. I'm not quite sure how I would do it, but it would likely be a narrative format. I've been really getting into WWII-era war machines and analog computers, so this seemed like a natural outlet for those obsessions.

Well, there's some very... odd bits there. Such as Hungary managing to Transcarpathia (Hungarians for 12.1% of the population entirely on the border), Macedonia being partitioned (not only are the Macedonians not going to stand for that, but Serbia has neither the ability nor the desire to annex Macedonia), Croatia annexing any bits of BiH (it was suggested in the 90s, but Zagreb's not touching it with a barge pole due to economic issues, not wanting to deal with that mess and the fact that Serbia would then have an argument for resurrecting the RSK) and the Bosniak population in the Sanzjak region is localised in the far south so wouldn't be able to occupy the entire area due to local Serbian support for Belgrade being almost certain.

As for the first odd bit, in this future history Hungary will become a de facto dictatorship in which the Prime Minister (Orbán) has a very aggressive policy, almost expansionist, backed by Putin's Russia. However, the West (EU, NATO etc.) will surely not allow him to annex Carpatho-Ruthenia entirely... True... I do think, however, with regards to Ukraine's current and (probably) future instability, it might be possible to acquire the Hungarian-speaking areas (with a strong majority, I mean) through a Crimea-style referendum strategy.

Secondly, I'm going to throw those Balkan ideas away, they're indeed too implausible, considering the bloodshed that's still in people's memories. But some unrest in (the south of) Sandzak might not be so improbable, though.

Also, Independent Venice, but not Catalonia? The latter has much greater support than the former. And Estonia and Latvia are in NATO, so if Russia sends troops into Narva and Daugavplis- the only way those republics will survive- then they are going to have a war going on, there's far too many members of NATO who are not going to let the organisation just die because it's been proved to be unwilling to face up against Russia, and that would be political suicide in the States as well.

Well, what you can't see is that Spain's internal structure has changed, which gives Catalonia a lot more self-rule. Spain's become a sort of federation, to decrease the popularity of secessionism. Italy, on the other hand, didn't reform at all and because of increasing economic problems and a series of incompetent cabinets, Venice eventually decided to secede. Although it happened peacefully after all, the Venetian Crisis was quite a turbulent event in EU history. (And it was considered very unlikely to succeed but it did.)

Now, considering Latvia and Estonia, I figured NATO might not want to risk war over those tiny areas. But I might be wrong. No, I probably am. I'm going to revise that. However, I'm wondering, do you think anything will happen there, with regards to ethnic tensions?

2 million Bosniaks giving up their independence in their homeland, with far more favorable defensive position and terrain, while 150k manage to hold their own in what is seen as an integral part of Serbia (Sandžak used to be Raška/Rascia)? Yeah, not likely. The idea of the Serbs pulling a fast one on them again is about as likely as a cold day in Hell.

Okay, fair enough.

Also the idea of Bosniak-Croat union is long dead. The only reason the Federation exist today is political necessity. If given a choice, neither side would accept it. A rump Bosniak-dominated Bosnia and Herzegovina is far more likely than annexation of those territories where they form a majority, even if Serbia and Croatia could magically make common cause and try to split the country between them.

But are you saying that in the future a Bosniak state alongside Serbian and Croation annexations is probable or even possible? Because the rump state would look a bit, eh, like a patchwork of Bosniak areas. Not really contiguous.

As for the first odd bit, in this future history Hungary will become a de facto dictatorship in which the Prime Minister (Orbán) has a very aggressive policy, almost expansionist, backed by Putin's Russia. However, the West (EU, NATO etc.) will surely not allow him to annex Carpatho-Ruthenia entirely... True... I do think, however, with regards to Ukraine's current and (probably) future instability, it might be possible to acquire the Hungarian-speaking areas (with a strong majority, I mean) through a Crimea-style referendum strategy.

Secondly, I'm going to throw those Balkan ideas away, they're indeed too implausible, considering the bloodshed that's still in people's memories. But some unrest in (the south of) Sandzak might not be so improbable, though.

Honestly, I don't think Hungary's got the military to pull that off. Some unrest in the south of the Sandzak may be possible, but I can't even find any evidence of protests during the Bosnian Wars so I don't know.

Now, considering Latvia and Estonia, I figured NATO might not want to risk war over those tiny areas. But I might be wrong. No, I probably am. I'm going to revise that. However, I'm wondering, do you think anything will happen there, with regards to ethnic tensions?
Yeah, the problem is that nobody in Europe is going to stand for 'well I know we had a treaty to defend you, but it's only a small bit so if you just give him that I'm sure he'll leave you alone', because, while I don't really wish to Godwin, the last time that happened was the Sudetenland, and that wasn't even a treaty of mutual defence.

As for ethnic tensions, possibly some protests at some point, but not sufficient to go anywhere without Russian intervention, which won't be forthcoming because Putin's not idiotic enough to invade NATO.

>tfw looked though every single map and post in the map thread made during 2014, collecting 52 nominations for the Turtledoves only to realize 1 nomination per category rule. Would people be interested in seeing the full list anyway?

I would.

A pet project of mine, the general gist of it is that George Washington had different influences in his life, and when the revolution was won, instead of denying a crown, he reluctantly accepted it, and named Alexander Hamilton as his heir, instead of Bushrod or someone who had a blood relation to him.

This map is great....I realize there's a lot going on but my attention is drawn to the hyper-colonial USA. If there colonial possessions in Africa are states, would they gain independence or stay with the USA during decolonization? And is it still the USA if there are states outside of America?

The amount of n00bishness contained in that map is absolutely astounding. :p

Thank you.

Speaking of Provinces, the first map of the year.

Denmark-Holland-Norway :eek:

Map of the Scottish Empire with colonies and overseas possessions at the height of its influence in the 18th century:

Neat map. England can't be very happy.

The Most Royal Province of the Mountain, the Seashore and the Marshes

UIMZ9ht
Well, here's my very first Inkscape map (this doesn´t make it any better)
So the POD is in 1366, with a different agreement between Pedro I and the Black Prince.
With a strongest English support, the forces of Pedro of Castile are able to finally win the war. However, Castile had to cede Guipúzcoa and parts to Álava to Navarre, and Biscay to England. From there, and with some help from butterflies, England is able to roughly win the 100 Years War (actually it lasted 97 years), although it would collapse half a century later.
Meanwhile, in Spain, things weren't quiet either. Granada was finally conquered in 1398, and two years later Portugal and Castile united under the House of Ivrea (notice the shitty alt-Spanish I developed). Aragon suffered a series of civil wars, resulting with the Noble Republic of Catalonia, the wealthy kingdom of Mallorca and Rosellón, and a rump kingdom of Aragon and Valencia (which would be integrated in *Spain at the end of the XVth century.
Brazil (America) meanwhile, was discovered by basque fishermen in 1438. Fortunately, European conquest was rather better for natives than OTL's, with some amerindian states surviving into XVIIIth century (a lot of spanish protectorates in Central Brazil, two prosperous independent indian federations in the great Lake's area and two or three more on the Plains. On the Andes, we can find the isolationist Realm of Tawantinsuyu (think in a mountainous China, but less wealthy and with tobacco instead of opium problems).

Finally, we can zoom into the focus of this map: The Most Royal Province of the Mountain, the Seashore and the Marshes (aka Cantabria, think in a http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermandad_de_las_Marismas on steroids). Created in 1296 as a Hansa-like economic association of various cantabrian and basque ports (Santander, Laredo, Castro Urdiales, Bermeo, Guetaria, San Sebastián, Fuenterrabía,Vitoria and San Vicente de la Barquera), it grew in importance in the Castilian Civil War when (as a result of the POD), they were promised a series of privileges in exchange of helping the king Pedro. When the war was finally won, the easternmost passed to navarrese and english hands as a result of the accords, while still being part of the association. At the end of the XVth century, during the English Wars (1488-1497), Biscay was occupied by Spain and reintegrated in the realm. Navarre remained whole and despite the fact that it grew closer and finally entered in a personal union with Spain in 1588, its coastal towns finally left the association with their western cousins.
Meanwhile, as a mean to reassure the royal control over the exportation of textile manufactures and castilian wool and the goods that were being brought from North Brazil (the Southern ones came through Seville and Cadiz, and the antilleans goods through Lisbon), the spanish kings gradually created a royal (read: not local nobility governed) and loyal administration upon these five ports and the surrounding territories. As the riches kept arriving, some wealthy merchants and captains agreed to the creation of "The Royal Atlantic Bank", located in Santander. It finally grew to be one of the biggest banks in Europe, on pair with burgundians, balearics or north italian ones.

However, many things have changed since 1296. It's 1747 and though the old "Hermandad de las Marismas" is long gone, the cantabrian ports still thrive with money and trade. Still, some international conflicts are in the air and threatening commerce. The newly United Brazilian Communes might have get its independence peacefully, but some hartlinger revolts in Lombardy are scaring the european governments... Who knows what tomorrow will depart?

Anyway, here is the map with the Province of the Mountain, the Seashore and the Marshes depicted.
-Regular "mancomunidades" are labeled brown
-Urban mancomunidades (the original ports) are painted in yellow, with the towns or cities marked with a star (Santander being the capital and central headquarter of the RAB).
-Other important towns or cities marked with blue dots.

Enjoy!! Feedback and criticism welcomed!! English version here: http://imgur.com/kiytkGn
1_by_ndeignacio-d8cmx3s.png

Well I had started cutting it down (I was originally going to get as many as I felt like then cut it down to 25 nominations, because I always felt too little maps got nominated. Stuff from the beginning of the year also usually gets passed over.) so there isn't 50 something anymore. Still it should be a pretty good summary of maps that I thought were particularly interesting or well done this year. Every single one of your's and Reagent's stuff would have been included but I thought that would have been slightly unfair.

My "nominations" for best maps of 2014: http://pastebin.com/n0vCuqF0

Status
Not open for further replies.