Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another map of my Italy wank series. This time we are in the apex of WWII, at the end of 1942.

- Nazi Germany forged a series of deals with unhappy countries in the Balkans, such as Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey, which not tolerated the Italian-Greek supremacy in the region.
- Italy however, despite friend of Britain and France, declared neutrality.
- However, while France crumbled, the Italians offered their protection to evacuate French troops in Corsica, from where De Gaulle incited to the resistance. Due to the Italian pressures, practically only the troops in Maghreb (Algeria + Morocco) sided with Vichy France. Italian troops in Middle East, in agreement with Free France, enter in Syria-Lebanon.
- Still, in 1941 Germany and the Axis states attacked by surprise Italy and Greece. Also Vichy France joined the fight in exchange of territories.
- While Greece crumbled, Italy managed to create a stable front on the Tosco-Emilian Appennine ridge, also thanks to reinforcements arrived from Britain and Corsica. The naval superiority allowed the possibility to safeguard the Greek islands, allowing the Greek government to refuge in Crete.
- In South-East Asia, the Italians were forced to evacuate the Philippines and tried a resistance in Atjeh, but Thailand, bribed by Japan, abandoned its old ally and invaded Burma. The residual Italian forces in the region were sent in India to help the British.
- However, the colonial brigades of the Italian overseas territories were put in march.
- Across 1942, the Allies started their counteroffensive, despite the Africa Korps of Rommel, reaching Algeria through an airlift from Balears (because the Spanish republicans, without the OTL Fascist Italy contribute, won, but were exhausted after three years of war and Guernica took its impact, so Germany menaced war and destruction if air transit wasn't granted), were near to take Tunis, but in the end were rebuffed. The Italians were on offensive also on the Syrian-Turkey border...

Wank Italy - end 1942.png

ekUCMwf.png

A little try combining the basic premises of DValdron's "Empire of Mu" and Jared's "Land of Red and Gold". Pink is Formative Gunnagal civilization, ready to implode, while blue is the extend of Lapitan expansion. The year is 1000 BC.

Interesting!
wondering how much more expansive the network of people would be come the Houtmanian Exchange :D

It's been awhile since I posted any Demographic or Information Maps, however I have just finished the first in a strong (the other two I can't finish until December for content reasons) of new maps and eventually revisions of a few of some older ones.

The below shows the Second Largest Religious group by Country, Autonomous region (excluding the Entities of BiH) and, in the case of Australia, Canada and the United States, Provinces, States and Territories.

Keep in mind that the sizes of these groups can and do differ drastically, ranging from being very large second religions (IE 30%) to being very tiny minorities (less than 1%).

NOTES:

1. Only two polities are mono-religious, Vatican City and the Pitcairn Islands, which are exclusively Catholic and Protestant respectively.

2. Morocco is the only countries I could find enough evidence on to be willing to list the second largest group as Non-Denominational Muslim; while their is some evidence that NDM is a very substantial group worldwide (as in being the majority of Muslims in several countries and substantial minorities in others), the lack of data on the subject means that I'm going to use more traditional and official numbers.

3. Syncretic beliefs are common throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, however because they're either the largest group or the numbers and exact syncretic nature is hard to come by I've not included them.

4. The Alawi are not listed under Islam for the simple fact that while they share some common beliefs, they're also very different and hold many beliefs that are counter to Islam, like Karma-esque Reincarnation (if you're bad, you'll be reborn as a Christian etc.), the veneration of Saints and only follow some, if any, of the Pillars of Islam (the non-belief in the requirement to pray 5 times a day or go on Hajj is prevalent).

5. In the case of polities listed as No Data this is for one of four reasons; 1. A census has not been take in decades (Albania, Lebanon and Tanzania), 2. an accurate Census has not been taken in a long time (South Sudan and West Sahara), 3. recent events have lead to population changes causing existing numbers to now be wrong (Libya) and 5. their's simply no detailed information on the numbers (Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Mauritania, Montserrat, Saint-Martin, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Somalia and Somaliland).

Second Largest Religion by Country (2013).png

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I posted any Demographic or Information Maps, however I have just finished the first in a strong (the other two I can't finish until December for content reasons) of new maps and eventually revisions of a few of some older ones.

The below shows the Second Largest Religious group by Country, Autonomous region (excluding the Entities of BiH) and, in the case of Australia, Canada and the United States, Provinces, States and Territories.

Keep in mind that the sizes of these groups can and do differ drastically, ranging from being very large second religions (IE 30%) to being very tiny minorities (less than 1%).
What's the Pacific island nation where the second largest faith is Baha'i.

Last edited:
You;ve got the wrong colors for Catholicism and Protestantism, or at least a lot of it. It makes it look like Latin America is Protestant while most of America is Catholic.

What's the Pacific island nation where the second largest faith is Baha'i.

That would be Tuvalu; Bahá'í comprises 1% of the population, making it the third largest group overall after the Church of Tuvalu (97%) and Seventh-Day Adventists (1.4%), which are both Protestant churches.

4. The Alawi are not listed under Islam for the simple fact that while they share some common beliefs, they're also very different and hold many beliefs that are counter to Islam, like Karma-esque Reincarnation (if you're bad, you'll be reborn as a Christian etc.), the veneration of Saints and only follow some, if any, of the Pillars of Islam (the non-belief in the requirement to pray 5 times a day or go on Hajj is prevalent).

And Mormons believe in immortal spirits, believe the Garden of Eden was in America and don't subscribe to the idea of the Trinity. You still have them listed as Christians (which, BTW, I'm not opposed to; indeed, that's the entire point).

And Mormons believe in immortal spirits, believe the Garden of Eden was in America and don't subscribe to the idea of the Trinity. You still have them listed as Christians (which, BTW, I'm not opposed to; indeed, that's the entire point).

I was actually going to use Mormonism as an example in explaining it, basically Mormonism has way more to do with the rest of Christianity than the Alawi have to do with Islam; actually the Alawi are interesting, they kept their beliefs hidden/secret for centuries (even now some of them are still not known to outsiders) and established a system where they'd blend in to the culture they were living in and pretend/outwardly do the same things as the non-Alawi around them while retaining their own beliefs and culture secretly.

Also, I'm pretty sure the soul being immortal is a major belief among virtually every denomination of Christianity.

Alexander vs Ogedei part 2

Ok, now here is the next part of my Alexander vs Ogedei series. The enormous impact of an empire that has appeared out of nowhere and is from the future has scared the crap out of the Alexandrians. So much, that the presence of a vast military power has more or less butterflied the soldier revolts, as both Alex and his army are terrified of this new empire to the North, and that their perception of the size of the world is grossly innacurate. Similarly, the Mongols are confused by this movement back in time, though a few believe that this is no coinscidence and believe it is part of the destiny of them to become a global empire. A few Greek speaking Muslims in central asia work as diplomats between the two empires, while they try to negotiate, as neither is ready for such a large scale war, and the two begin to build up and reinforce themselves for the inevitable confrontation. The Mongols, who were still busy in China, find themselves against a much easier threat- the northern part of the former Song lands is divided between several bickering and feuding kingdoms, with non of the technological or logistical advantages the Song had in OTL, and further south, the only civilisations are in northern Vietnam and coastal Burma. This means that Ogedei decides to launch a collosal invasion of both China and Indochina, with the majority of his forces involved in subduing and subjigating the early Chinese groups. The Mongols are particularly brutal to the future Han dynasty as they would be hte dominant group in China in the future. A similar fate awaits Korea and Bangladesh too. The Mongols also expand westwards into the tribal Russian steppe and the Caucasus and even northwards via the conquest of the Yakuts and many Ugrian tribes. The Alexandrian empire counters as well. Alex learns of his future death and ensures alternative means to sort out his army and mobilise. He counters by expanding into his projected areas of Arabia, western India, Sudan, the Balkans (specifically otl Romania, Serbia and Bosnia) and the rest of the Caucasus, forming an enforced border to the Mongol hordes. It also allows the further hellenisation of these regions culturally, though a more militaristic culture is developing too. Relations with Carthage have been put on hold due to the Mongol threat, and indeed they are gearing up for war with the rising power of Rome. The year is now 310 BC, and it is the final days of world peace.
2jgUyjN.jpg

BTW, I cannot find a good base map for either time period that I want without having to recreate both from scratch, which would take way too much time for me. So this will have to do for now I'm afraid. Still, I hope you enjoy the upcoming clash of the titans :D

While the map isn't great, your write up shows a lot of potential and some thinking. However, my main criticism is the expansion of Alexander's Empire. I can see him expanding into India, particularly if his soldiers stay loyal. But his extension into Europe doesn't ring true. And if his primary worry is the great Mongol behemoth to the north, why would he distract himself with war with Rome. Why not just send treasure and some small detachment of men to Carthage, and have them deal with the upstart Latins. That way, he can concentrate on keeping control of his conquered territory and on holding off a Mongol invasion. On the other hand, I think the alternative direction that the Mongols have taken in their invasions is very interesting and could lead to a great deal of butterflies down the line.

Why not just send treasure and some small detachment of men to Carthage, and have them deal with the upstart Latins.
Carthage originated as a colony planted by Tyre and, as I understand it, remained on good terms with its mother-city. Alexander sacked Tyre. How does Carthage actually feel about Alexander?

While the map isn't great, your write up shows a lot of potential and some thinking. However, my main criticism is the expansion of Alexander's Empire. I can see him expanding into India, particularly if his soldiers stay loyal. But his extension into Europe doesn't ring true. And if his primary worry is the great Mongol behemoth to the north, why would he distract himself with war with Rome. Why not just send treasure and some small detachment of men to Carthage, and have them deal with the upstart Latins. That way, he can concentrate on keeping control of his conquered territory and on holding off a Mongol invasion. On the other hand, I think the alternative direction that the Mongols have taken in their invasions is very interesting and could lead to a great deal of butterflies down the line.

I meant Carthage is gearing up against Rome. I was even thinking of Alex and Rome vs Mongols and Carthage or something like that. Or is everyone v the horde more plausible? The expansion into Europe may just have been in occupying it or establishing vassals as buffers against a mongol attack from te Balkans, as in OTl te Mongols attempted to attack Serbia and Bulgaria, and remember here that at this point Northern Europe is more or less devoid of civilisation making it easier.

Last edited:
The follow up map from my Age of Mythology map:
Age of the Titans. This map basically combines the Titans Expansion from AoM and
the game Titan Quest which I have been playing a lot recently.
Humanity is facing defeat as it's major civilizations are taking a beating or are outright being destroyed.
While the mightiest of human nations, Atlantis has fallen to Titan worshiping.
20 years after Arkantos and his allies defeated Gargarensis, and his plot to free the Titans from their unearthly prison lesser Titans called Telkines walk the earth.
Commanding armies of beastmen and undead, bent on ending the Age of Men before it could even begin.

Will humanity rise from the ashes victorious? Or will the Titans destroy humanity, the Gods and conquer the world?

age_of_titans_by_dutchpromethean-d6qwvmk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.