Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm trying to say is that watersheds would have made about as much sense - in some cases (mind you, some cases - Colorado is a notable exception) they make better borders, as settlement tends to focus on river valleys.

With a few exceptions that's not really true, all you have to do is look at a population map of the United States to see that the populations neither primarily congregated in river valleys (which their are'nt very many of in the central 30% of the country) and that the state borders make sense in terms of population distribution in the West.

US_population_map[1].png

This map is a bit different, but it is based off a Wikipedia map and is from my TL, the Reverse Cold War, the map shows the situation in Ceylon in the modern day. divided between the Indian backed Tamil Republic of Northern Ceylon, and the internationally recognized Republic of Ceylon, the purple areas are directly controlled by the Military of the TRNC's backer, the State of India.

Untitled10.png

With a few exceptions that's not really true, all you have to do is look at a population map of the United States to see that the populations neither primarily congregated in river valleys (which their are'nt very many of in the central 30% of the country) and that the state borders make sense in terms of population distribution in the West.

Well, we're kinda congregated along the Rio Grande here in New Mexico...but my goodness, that map really gives you an idea of how empty some parts of the west are. The two Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming have barely a single decent urban conglomeration between the four of them, and Nevada is basically Vegas and what looks like spillover from northern California.

Bruce

Heh. I really enjoyed that "Back in the USSA" map. I liked the first story about the Revolution and the Texans Flying but the stories got progressively stranger, though I did realize they were all told from the viewpoint of famous writers. That last scene in the final chapter though...what? Was Godzilla invading?

i just finished this blankmap. for a long time now, a friend of mine and i have been working on a science-fiction RPG that will be hosted at Rplegacy (it's his RPG, really; i'm just helping with the setting development) and i volunteered to make a map for it. i asked if he would like to base it on prehistoric geography of some kind, to make it more interesting, and he chose the Jurassic period.

the actual setting of the RPG is, iirc, planned to be vaguely similar to Worldwar (i actually introduced him to the series during the discussion, specifically bringing up The Race at one point) in that prior to the events of the RPG, there's a world war between two broad factions which is interrupted by an Alien invasion (that's all that the invaders are known as at this point in development). instead of it being human nation against human nation, though, there's two general groups of sentient species: Saurians (dinosauroids) and Simians (primates), both of which include human- and non-human-like species. functionally, all three broad factions have a caste system most similar to the Covenant from Halo, with various species filling different roles, but many of them are still functionally similar to one another and are also based on the various Covenant species: between both, there are Administrators, Assassins/Snipers, Attackers, Defenders, Engineers/Workers, Grunts, Hulks/Strongmen, Scavengers/Skirmishers, and Troopers. the Aliens will have roughly the same factions, though ones with greater differences between the Saurians and Simians will instead combine traits. the Aliens are even more similar to the Covenant in that they are comprised of many different and unrelated extraterrestrial species, though their leading caste (Prophet expys) are basically Forerunners

in addition to these nine defined castes, there's also a Reclaimer caste (yes, directly based on Halo) which can be any species and will generally be the player characters. like in Halo, Reclaimers have the ability to use Alien technology with ease and this allows them to have more versatile functions, which is better for the players themselves as it allows them to do more with a character.

of course, this is all subject to change; the RPG is still in the design phase

anyway, here's the map. before anyone says anything, NO, the lighter blue in the ocean is NOT permanent sea ice; it indicates shallower seas, which were common during the Jurassic. secondly, i decided to include a latitude/longitude overlay as a means of identification to more easily show where certain locations could be. a future version of this map will likely include a key of sorts with numbers and letters to designate the grid (for instance, *North Florida could be designated in a grid as E11, counting from the top and the left respectively)

Jurassica copy.png

ekUCMwf.png

A little try combining the basic premises of DValdron's "Empire of Mu" and Jared's "Land of Red and Gold". Pink is Formative Gunnagal civilization, ready to implode, while blue is the extend of Lapitan expansion. The year is 1000 BC.

Heh. I really enjoyed that "Back in the USSA" map. I liked the first story about the Revolution and the Texans Flying but the stories got progressively stranger, though I did realize they were all told from the viewpoint of famous writers. That last scene in the final chapter though...what? Was Godzilla invading?

The viewpoint character is saturated with Absinthe: he's probably hallucinating again.

Bruce

stefanbl

Banned
Interesting. So is the West still in a "Cold War" type situation, or do they have a more China-USA like relationship with Russia?

Heavily Cold War, but with decidedly less threat of Nuclear weapons and no proxy wars and such, the main battle is from News Media. ;)

In one of my last maps, I had a rather interesting take on Europe, again mostly out of boredom. This time however I decided to take the Germany from that world and try to come up with a religion map to explain things. Generally speaking religion is fluid. however, shown here is what are considered to be the predominant religions of the constituent Federal Monarchies within the German Empire.

religion.png

Some are obvious, others are not. Starting in Dalmatia, the duchy is predominantly Muslim. Austria, Lombardia, Bavaria, Swabia, Franconia, Wurtemburg, Baden, Darmstadt, Palatinate, the Duchy of Alsace, and the Hohenzollern province, as well as the Duchy of Teutonia (Lithuania) are all Catholic. The Kingdom of Burgundy excluding Alsace are Gnostic. The Kingdom of Alemannia (Switzerland) is predominantly Jewish. The Kingdom of Saxony and the Kingdom of Vandalia (Czechoslovakia) is Arian. The Kingdom of Gothonica is mostly Orthodox while the Kingdom of the Netherlands is essentially "non-aligned" Christian, due to it having been secularized for over five centuries.

religion.png

South America remained out of the war, but had its own war, from 1918-1924. It involved the militarist Brazil on one side, supported by Bolivia and Peru, against Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Ecuador, and Colombia. The Brazilian Empire exceeded beyond its own expectations. It has annexed Uruguay, half of Paraguay, and a slice of Colombia.
Brazil with a coastline on the Pacific?!? Don't think that I've ever seen that before... :eek:

Heavily Cold War, but with decidedly less threat of Nuclear weapons and no proxy wars and such, the main battle is from News Media. ;)

Whats their symbolism like? Are they using traditional russian iconography, or is a hammer-and-sickle flying over the kremlin (as in, more communist)

stefanbl

Banned
Whats their symbolism like? Are they using traditional russian iconography, or is a hammer-and-sickle flying over the kremlin (as in, more communist)

Traditional Russian, Liberal Tricolour, its called the Russian Federation etc.

And of all the 'Communist' States they are probably the most Capitalist.

HRE Survives screwing everything up. Butterfly effect gone insane with HRE, Swedish, and Persian dominating a large chunk of the world

1700 (1).png

In one of my last maps, I had a rather interesting take on Europe, again mostly out of boredom. This time however I decided to take the Germany from that world and try to come up with a religion map to explain things. Generally speaking religion is fluid. however, shown here is what are considered to be the predominant religions of the constituent Federal Monarchies within the German Empire.

Some are obvious, others are not. Starting in Dalmatia, the duchy is predominantly Muslim. Austria, Lombardia, Bavaria, Swabia, Franconia, Wurtemburg, Baden, Darmstadt, Palatinate, the Duchy of Alsace, and the Hohenzollern province, as well as the Duchy of Teutonia (Lithuania) are all Catholic. The Kingdom of Burgundy excluding Alsace are Gnostic. The Kingdom of Alemannia (Switzerland) is predominantly Jewish. The Kingdom of Saxony and the Kingdom of Vandalia (Czechoslovakia) is Arian. The Kingdom of Gothonica is mostly Orthodox while the Kingdom of the Netherlands is essentially "non-aligned" Christian, due to it having been secularized for over five centuries.

You can't have those borders and a Jewish Switzerland.

The Russian Communist Party wins the 1996 Presidential Election, and go onto dominate Russian Politics through the same tactics the Putinists used IOTL.

Don't worry the Red is mostly the show, the name and central planning aren't coming back anytime soon.

Dark Red States are those with a Moscow Aligned Ruling Party, (Includes Cyprus, the Cambodian People's Party quietly reversed gears in the late 90s) while Red outlined states include the Moscow Aligned Party in the Ruling Coalition, normally in part of the National People's Communist Unity Fatherland Front* in an attempt to cosy up to Russia.

There was no 9/11, (Saddam was taken out after he was found to be sponsoring Terror like 1985 Libya, which triggered the Iraqi Civil War) but the USA has a heavy Military presence in the striped States, at the request of local Governments.

(South Korea and elsewhere have a similar presence, but that's OTL)

In Europe and elsewhere the Moscow Aligned Far Left fare significantly better than in OTL, with much greater exposure and funding. Especially since the 2011 Recession and the ongoing Eurocrisis, with the KKE coming second in the last Greek Election, Die Linke's Continue growth and the Czech Communist Party polling upward of 35%, being just a few examples.

Pretty interesting :D

Kazakhstan is probably a big target for Radio Liberty and other American-oriented NGOs to turn into the Russian-speaking headquarters.

What happened in Ukraine?

stefanbl

Banned
Pretty interesting :D

Kazakhstan is probably a big target for Radio Liberty and other American-oriented NGOs to turn into the Russian-speaking headquarters.

What happened in Ukraine?

I'm unsure, I assume the Communists are winning in the East, and the Pro-Westerners are winning in the West, probably similar to now, but with the two sides caring more.

Status
Not open for further replies.