Map of the Month 9: At A Fork In The Road

Map of the Month 9: At A Fork In The Road

The Challenge

Make two maps showing different outcomes resulting from a single event (such as a battle or an election.)

The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
____

Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Monday, January 10, 2022! (Extended one week)
____

PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES TO THE MAIN THREAD.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post.

Remember to vote on MotF 247!

Last edited:
April 25, 1986. A temperate spring afternoon in southern Sweden. A butterfly flaps its wings, and a cold north wind begins to blow.

odDAWCH.jpg

Eleven hours later. April 26, 1986. You know the story - a late night, a routine test, a human failure, a regime all too eager to sweep accidents under the rug. The consequences - within hours, people across Kyiv, the Union's third-largest city, begin to die. Resistance from above delays the evacuation another day; by the time it does start, millions have been exposed and tens of thousands have become fated to die - some within days, others within years.

The Union, already tottering, could not bear the economic or political consequences. Within two years, the Ukrainian government - re-situated in the southern city of Dnepropetrovsk - declared its response a failure, and begged for aid from the West to contain the site and alleviate the strain on the collapsing health care industry. A year after that, the Union was gone, and soon with it came the rest of the Eastern bloc.

The new Ukrainian state was immediately saddled with overwhelming burdens - a crumbling and inefficient economy, the overwhelming burden of resettling and caring for evacuees, ethnic and linguistic tensions, omnipresent corruption and grift, and spillovers from armed conflict on two of its borders. No political system could have handled it - and under the circumstances, it is remarkable that the weak Ukrainian political institutions lasted as long as they did.

Civil war came in 2004, complemented by secession and foreign invasion. Any hope for recovery in the years that followed was ended by the collapse of the never-really-completed Soviet-era sarcophagus, requiring a heroic effort with too little international support to build a new one. No sooner was this completed than civil war again reared its head, this time as the spearhead of a Russian invasion. At great cost, the country's independence was preserved - but it can be hard to see to what end. Nearly-surrounded by vultures, and carrying the heavy financial burden of protecting all of Europe from its Soviet past, Ukraine still has far to go before it can claim to see light at the end of the tunnel...

Another world. Another April 26. A crisis averted at the last possible instant.

fBnpNfS.jpg

A couple dozen still die protecting their country - but nothing the government has not papered over before with a few medals. The facade remains in place. The Union and its reformist party is given a stay of execution. A few more years until the great forces of history bring it down - enough to give it a broader legacy.

The Union of Sovereign States, was worth its name for maybe half a decade until autocrats regained control in the first few years of the twenty-first century. By 2005 the new flags had been put back into their boxes, while the old methods came back out. After a single breath of freedom, Ukraine again became little more than a tool of Moscow - and Moscow proved it with repeated bloody crackdowns on the streets of Kyiv and Lviv.

Ukraine became the launching point of the Union's attempts to restore its influence in Central Europe. Activists drummed up ethnic tensions on the borders with Poland, Slovakia, and Moldova, ultimately leading to a brief 2011 war where the undersupplied and undertrained Ukrainian army performed embarrassingly poorly against a NATO-backed Moldova before poorly-disguised Russian special forces were inserted to turn the tide.

A new election has recently brought out a new wave of protests and a new wave of brutal repression. Stability has achieved as promised - only activists and students would deny the average Ukrainian is financially better off than they were in 1997 or 2004, and for most people this is enough. But this has come at the cost of civil liberty, national culture, and a chance at real connection with the outside world. Constrained as it has been for centuries by foreign domination and a corrupt and ossified political system, Ukraine still has far to go before it can claim to see light at the end of the tunnel...

Last edited:
The Soul of Russia
the paths NOT taken by Vladimir the Great

The chronicles tell us about how in the year 987 AD Vladimir, Prince of Kiev sent emissaries to various foreign nations, inquiring about the religion practiced in their lands, seeking to choose which of them would be better for his people: Judaism, Islam or Christianity, and from Christianity, to choose between the Eastern and Western rites. Hearing back from those emissaries, and comparing their experiences, especially in regards to the joyfulness of the people and of its religious celebrations, Vladimir made the decision to embrace the Eastern rite of Christianity, leading to the Orthodox Russia we all know and love.

Of course, we know quite well that this story is just that, a story meant to illustrate what in reality was in truth political, with the influence of Constantinople pushing the prince firmly into Orthodoxy, regardless of how festive church celebrations were in the East or the West. This story of emissaries is but a metaphor for a much more complicated and much ore political process. But, in any case, let's take the metaphor, and think of what would happen to Russia, had the political situation favored anything other than Constantinople, with two particular examples of paths not taken, that to Rome and that to Mecca.

Catholic Rus (the Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth)
The idea here being that, without the religious differences, the PLC would eventually absorb the Rus principalities into its domain, creating a large and inflated realm, that doesn't expand that far east to begin with.
0EoyOWK.png

Islamic Rus (the Horde continues)
The point is that an Islamic Russia would ultimately become more culturally integrated with the Tatar peoples to its south, since already OTL Tatar became a fashionable language of Russian nobility, a trend which could be expected to increase with no religious barrier, creating a Turkified upper class, which then would improve the odds of those polities formed from the ruins of the Mongol Empire. I chose the Giray dynasty symbol because I like them in particular.
rgnVVIn.png

Finding cities for the Islamic Rus map was more difficult than expected. I tried to make a more northwest-southeast imbalance from one map to the other, but I don't know how noticeable that is. The idea of a flourishing Islamic civilization flourishing in the Volga River ruled by the Mongols is interesting, but it proved hard to accomplish. I'm also unsure how anachronistic a lot of the map is, but I wanted to give a feel of the depth of the Volga Basin, and of the more urban-tribal structure of the Horde, which again I'm not sure if I've been able to implement that well. I am more satisfied with how the Catholic map turned out.

That being said, I do like the aesthetic of the maps. The colouring turned out pretty well, and the rivers look very good (I thought of adding more, but I'm satisfied with the final look now that I see it). Maybe I could have added some more depth to them (roads? churches? idk) but time is already running out anyway, it was a frantic holiday season.

Anyway, hope everyone likes them.

I'll go ahead and submit this at the actual last minute (Thank you for your patience @Kaiphranos !)

Nothing to elaborate I admit, Germany wins WW1 and gets a massive empire in central Africa, but eventually the era of decolonization rolls around and the German electorate has to decide if they should vote in politicians who will allow the army to take the hardline that it has with colonial revolts in the past or not. One scenario is optimistic, the other is... not.

MOTF (4).png