Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

What's wrong with people posting big maps? :confused:

Alright, less restrictions it is! The new threads should be up in a few minutes. :)

I think you understood me :D I don't mean big maps content-wise, I mean big maps bursting-out-your-bloody-screen-wise XD As in, say that people should post a "preview" of their map at a max size of, XXXXpx and a link to where a bigger map can be found (a sub-forum on AH, dA, imgur, something). When you're scrolling down the entries, and half of them are off the screen while half of those don't even provide a smaller alternative, it's not exactly what you might call comfortable browsing :D

I think you understood me :D I don't mean big maps content-wise, I mean big maps bursting-out-your-bloody-screen-wise XD As in, say that people should post a "preview" of their map at a max size of, XXXXpx and a link to where a bigger map can be found (a sub-forum on AH, dA, imgur, something). When you're scrolling down the entries, and half of them are off the screen while half of those don't even provide a smaller alternative, it's not exactly what you might call comfortable browsing :D

I agree and disagree. Agree in that I've made the transition of just showing a smaller map of my entire humongous map sets and linked off to my deviantart for a full-scale. Disagree in that some people don't have dA and can't or are unwilling to join; it also would make me a hypocrite since some of my first entries ever for the MotF were gigantic.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
I agree and disagree. Agree in that I've made the transition of just showing a smaller map of my entire humongous map sets and linked off to my deviantart for a full-scale. Disagree in that some people don't have dA and can't or are unwilling to join; it also would make me a hypocrite since some of my first entries ever for the MotF were gigantic.

Hmm, that's not such a problem for me because my monitor's resolution is 1920x1080, but I understand where you're coming from. Imposing a restriction on the width of images posted in the entry thread (with no restrictions on linked images) shouldn't be too bad - people can always use imgur to upload the full size versions, as imgur is very reliable and doesn't require an account. I'd rather not impose new restrictions unless it's necessary though, and I would hope that entrants would keep their entries a reasonable size regardless.

What do other people think about this? Would you prefer there be a restriction on the width of images posted in the entry threads?

On an unrelated note, the voting for MotF 123: Bricks and Marble is over (and has been for over a week... better late than never, right?)! And the winner is:

TheLoneAmigo
Honoured Victory

This is TheLoneAmigo's second MotF win (their first being over 4 years ago back in MotF 36), and they certainly earned it with this map of an alternate New York, split between the aggressively anti-imperialist Amerikan Workersbund and the aggressively imperialist British Empire. The map itself looks good, especially with the inclusion of excellent flags for both sides, but one thing that makes it stand out is the clear linguistic differences between the Workersbund and the British, with the Workersbund's "Amerikan" being reformed to be spelt phonetically and having a more Germanic lexicon than the traditional French and Latin inspired language of the British.

MrGreyOwl
Honourable Mention for High Popularity

MrGreyOwl was a close second for this round, again with an entry showing an alternate New York - this time showing a clean yet detailed map of a French Manhattan.

Tardis128

Tardis218's entry for this round was one of the most creative, showing the former US embassy in Baghdad, reborn as the centre of civilisation in post-apocalyptic Iraq.

thomas.berubeg

I'm not actually sure which OTL city thomas.berubeg's entry depicts, but it is depicted in the style of a medieval hand-drawn map with the city itself being stylised, with some of its more fantastic site shown in greater detail at the corners.

Upvoteanthology

Upvoteanthology's entry for this round is a HUGE map depicting the alternate city of Featherstocking, a city in the north of an America that includes OTL Canada, and its environs in detail.

SpazzReflex

SpazzReflex's entry, showing a city founded first by pre-Columbian Native Americans and later refounded by Muslim former slaves, was my personal choice for this round. Apparently not everyone shares my obsession with African and Native American cultures. :p

Oh do it anyway!
The map will be far better, I'm under no illusion as to my map skills :eek:
I am just aiming for them to look like those from "Muir's Historical Atlas" of which I got a copy as a present many years ago.

Hmm, that's not such a problem for me because my monitor's resolution is 1920x1080, but I understand where you're coming from. Imposing a restriction on the width of images posted in the entry thread (with no restrictions on linked images) shouldn't be too bad - people can always use imgur to upload the full size versions, as imgur is very reliable and doesn't require an account. I'd rather not impose new restrictions unless it's necessary though, and I would hope that entrants would keep their entries a reasonable size regardless.

What do other people think about this? Would you prefer there be a restriction on the width of images posted in the entry threads?

Well, how about, instead of making it a restriction, just putting in a request that people are reasonable with the map sizes and suggesting that they upload bigger version either offline OR!!! you could make another Motf thread for big maps to be posted. Then the people can just link to their comment there in their submission comment.

Krall

Banned
Well, how about, instead of making it a restriction, just putting in a request that people are reasonable with the map sizes and suggesting that they upload bigger version either offline OR!!! you could make another Motf thread for big maps to be posted. Then the people can just link to their comment there in their submission comment.

Making even more MotF threads strikes me as a bad idea - I'll put in a request to keep images a reasonable size in the opening posts of future entry threads. :)

Making even more MotF threads strikes me as a bad idea - I'll put in a request to keep images a reasonable size in the opening posts of future entry threads. :)

Well it's not really making "more" threads for it, it's only a sort of storage thread for the big images :) But at least some progress :D Thanks!

Krall

Banned
So what challenges do you all want to see for MotF 126? Feel free to post any new ideas you have, or repost ideas from earlier in this thread or the list of challenges on the Wiki. :)

And if you see any challenge ideas you like, please do post and say so! I rely on you all expressing your opinions to choose the challenge for the next round, so not posting your support makes my job harder and robs you of having any influence on this process!

Nix the Notion of the Nation could be a really fun one, since I feel as if that presents the most interesting constraints out of all of the MotF Challenges. Out of all the ISOT ones, The Yankee's Legacy is probably the most interesting. Better Together leaves a lot of room for some really cool ideas. My favorite funny ideas though are The Republic of Genetalia and Blame Kaiphranos .

Gerry's Salamander - Social/Cultural - Make a map showing a border (national or sub-national) designed to help or hinder a specific demographic group.

sounds good :D

Nix the Notion of the Nation could be a really fun one, since I feel as if that presents the most interesting constraints out of all of the MotF Challenges. Out of all the ISOT ones, The Yankee's Legacy is probably the most interesting. Better Together leaves a lot of room for some really cool ideas. My favorite funny ideas though are The Republic of Genetalia and Blame Kaiphranos .

Please repost the challenge descriptions along with the titles.

Seconded! Though how the Normans only ended up with bits of Hampshire, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire?
EDIT: It's a different history idjit. :(
(I am referring to myself!)

Haha don't worry yeah as the Frankish are more aggressive against invaders so when the Vikings came to otl Normandy the franks pushed then out so they settled in the south of England.

Haha don't worry yeah as the Frankish are more aggressive against invaders so when the Vikings came to otl Normandy the franks pushed then out so they settled in the south of England.

Is the Frankish language more like German or like French? And what happens to the dialects at the opposite side?