Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
So what is the next MotF actually going to be?

Ah, I almost forgot there would be a new MotF round this weekend. :eek:

At the moment "Nix the Notion of Nation" seems to have the most support, but not by a wide margin (there are a few challenges with two people in support, whilst "Nix the Notion of Nation" has three supporters), so it could still change between now and Sunday!

Well, it's kind of late into the game, but I figured I'd throw out my idea for the next MotF:

The Womb of Nations
Create a map depicting a part of the world ruled by a particularly powerful tribal band or confederacy before they go off to conquer the world.

Btw, here's a new map idea. Not sure about the name but it's the idea that counts :D

Fry it up - Show a situation where a country has/gains a pan handle.

The Empires No One Suspected-Make a map showing a large empire that no one would have though could happen before it did. For example the Mongol Empire, the early Caliphate, etc.

More Than Words-Create a map that stands on its own. Other than labels on the map itself, the map shall have no accompanying explanations, either on the map or in the forum.

No, WE'RE The Real Government-Make a map showing a country during a civil war that's gone on long enough that most people outside the country just think of it as having split into multiple countries. Examples from OTL would be Korea with the ROK vs. the DPRK, or China with the PRC vs. the ROC.

The Ocean is Full of Terrors-Make a map showing a state founded by a seaborne conquest or migration.

The Return of the King-Make a map showing a country where the ruling dynasty was removed from power, but later returned to power. “Dynasties” in countries with non-hereditary forms of government (like the Kennedys or Roosevelts) are permitted.

Special Treatment-Make a map showing a Hong Kong-style Special Administrative Region where a small enclave of a country is, for almost all intents and purposes, separate.

This Too Shall Pass-Make a map showing the same region in two different time periods - one during a golden age of prosperity and power, the other during a dark age of regression and chaos. Which period comes first is up to you.

To New Lands!-Make a map showing an alternate Migration period. Ethnic groups in odd places is encouraged. Map can be set any time after the Migration period. [that, right there, is my god-damned map-fetish]

I'd also like to propose another one-Hunny, I'm Home!-Make a map depicting a Nomadic-based State. For example, the Huns or the Mongol Empire

All of these appeal more than the rest. :p

Krall

Banned
“We're building a wall, and it's going to be a great wall." - Map a fortified border :p

Rather similar to this one, which I made some time ago and has the added bonus of not acknowledging that terrible, terrible person:

Those Whose Walls Already Rise

Make a map showing an alternate defensive wall, or other defensive fortifications.

Anyway, it looks like "Nix the Notion of Nation" is still the most popular suggestion, so it shall be the challenge for MotF 126! Threads will be up soon. :)

Krall

Banned
I really don't understand...

So it's a powerful polity that isn't a country...?

Ah, it is rather confusing I'm afraid. "Nation" can refer to a country, or it can refer to a cultural/political community - for example the term "French nation" can mean the same as "French country" or "French people".

A "nation state" is a state (sovereign government) that derives its legitimacy from representing a nation (cultural community). Most European countries are nation states, as are many other countries around the world, but most countries before about 1800 were not and many countries today are not nation states.

For instance, city states represent a city - this would include modern city states like Monaco and Singapore, as well as ancient and medieval city states like Athens, Carthage, Venice, or the Aztec city-states. A lot of European states in the medieval era were dynastic/feudal states, based around a noble hierarchy and the crown's ultimate sovereignty rather than the community of people within the country. There are theocratic states that derive legitimacy from a religion, like the Papal States or a Caliphate. And so on, and so forth.

It's a rather vague challenge, I'm afraid, but that's the best I can explain it. :eek: