Mahakhitan: A Chinese Buddhist Civilization in India

I think I need to clarify that this TL’s focus is on visual and experiential aspect of the history.

Political and military events are only the background story. For instance, the Khitans did have a strong navy ITTL, but no mention is made on this because military history isn’t the focus.

We need to know more about Indian Buddhism, Buddhist art and architecture around 1200, Indian lifestyle and customs in the middle ages, local produces and scenic spots, Indian folk literature and drama, etc.

Basically, Indian living environment and visual art after the end of Gupta Dynasty and before the rise of the Delhi sultanate.

For these, what sources would you guys recommend? In forms of pdf and webpages.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the English language I used?

Are there confusing ways of expression, or details that betray the facts that I’m not a native speaker?

Nah, I think it's fine. I haven't gotten around to checking Kara's original text, but it's not like everyone on this forum is a native speaker, me included.

I think I need to clarify that this TL’s focus is on visual and experiential aspect of the history.

Political and military events are only the background story. For instance, the Khitans did have a strong navy ITTL, but no mention is made on this because military history isn’t the focus.

We need to know more about Indian Buddhism, Buddhist art and architecture around 1200, Indian lifestyle and customs in the middle ages, local produces and scenic spots, Indian folk literature and drama, etc.

Basically, Indian living environment and visual art after the end of Gupta Dynasty and before the rise of the Delhi sultanate.

For these, what sources would you guys recommend? In forms of pdf and webpages.
Look for those books

1. Indian Architecture (Buddhist and Hindu Period) by Percy Brown
2. Idea and Image in Indian Art by Niharranjan Ray
3. Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization by Heinrich Zimmer

Look for fashion history of india here
https://www.slideshare.net/PriyalThakkar/fashion-history-of-india-56599569

My problem with this is that the Liaonization should have been the other way around. Just as the Yuan were sinicized. Using the extremely difficult Chinese characters to Devanagari script is incredibly weird after settling in.

My problem with this is that the Liaonization should have been the other way around. Just as the Yuan were sinicized. Using the extremely difficult Chinese characters to Devanagari script is incredibly weird after settling in.
I'd say that India would Indify the Liao and the Liao vice versa. While yes, the Yuan were scinified, they and the Qing did in fact scinify much of Northern China. For example, modern Mandarin is Chinese with a Mongol North Chinese Accent, and cultural practices in Beijing are very similar to those of Manchuria.

Incredibly good. Especially love the look into alternate culture and the synthesis of two cultures.

Very interested to see if Hindus are significantly influenced by the new Buddhist-influenced Liao culture.

For example, modern Mandarin is Chinese with a Mongol North Chinese Accent, and cultural practices in Beijing are very similar to those of Manchuria.

Actually, NO. Pekingese sound changes came from its own internal processes. In the North, Pekingese is often considered a very Southern-influenced northern dialect, as it borrowed heavily from Nankinese.

I think such mentality came from unfamiliarity with the Manchu and Mongol languages.

In many cases, evidences of sound changes in Mandarin had been preserved in Manchu and Mongol languages in forms of loanwords before and after the changes.

For instance, the Manchus and Mongols were able to pronounce Chinese words with checked tones or without them, as their languages had closed syllable sounds. So it's definitely not the Manchus who caused the disappearance of checked tones in Mandarin, like it's often claimed.

There is a detailed answer by an Ethnic Manchu Hasuran Li, aka Hasuran Fucha, on this question here. She also explained how Manchu did influence Pekingese but it's overblown.

Last edited:

I'd say that India would Indify the Liao and the Liao vice versa.

In terms of political and military systems, as well as in official ideologies and religion, the Liao would dominate over the locals, but in terms of cultural practices, yes the Liao would assimilate.

Actually, the Khitans would prefer Siddham over Devanagari, for religious reasons. As Devanagari wasn't popularized to spell Hindi until the 18th century, so I'd assume the Khitans would totally be able to popularize Siddham.

Yuan is actually a good analogy. As soon as the Ming took over, they threw out much of the Mongol culture and their culture, but their practices of kingship and government remained.

Last edited:
what are the Hellenized Abbasids like?

Making only a guess, they would probably speak Greek, but spell it in Arabic alphabet.

In Anatolia, alphabets goes according to religion. A Turkish christian may spell his Turkish in Greek alphabet, whereas a Muslim Greek may spell his tongue in Arabic Alphabet.

Incredibly good. Especially love the look into alternate culture and the synthesis of two cultures.

Very interested to see if Hindus are significantly influenced by the new Buddhist-influenced Liao culture.

Thank you.

I know little about the Hinduism so I can only make a guess. Kara may know more about it since she lives in the free world and have access to more books about India.

First of all, the caste system would be officially gone.

Secondly, the position of the Brahmin in Southern Liao would be like Taoism and Confucianism under the Yuan, they are tolerated, even protected, but as their monopoly of the ruling class status gets restricted, they have to move down and try to win over the lower class as their patrons. Hindu temples may learn from the Liao's Bianwen tradition, and stage dramas for ticket income, later on Brahmins may take up a pen to write screenplays that exalts the Rama and the Shiva, and (discreetly) voice their discontent with the Liao rulers.

Chapter 5: When Snow Stops in the Cold Mountains, or Mahakhitan Architectural arts in Afghanistan, between the Upper and Central Capitals
Chapter 5: When Snow Stops in the Cold Mountains, or Mahakhitan Architectural arts in Afghanistan, between the Upper and Central Capitals.

As we have previously mentioned in a discussion about architectural and art histories, as compared to a boring show-off of dry knowledge, it’s better to tell it together with stories during the history. So, that’s continue.

As the geographical location of our narration goes south, the “snowball” of our Mahakhitan art rolls down to it second stop, the northern gate of India. The story that’s going to serve as side dish this time is about the Ghaznavids, as well as a little bit of stuff about the Liao-Yuan Wars.

Oh, yes, I’m also going to make the series as a traveller’s program. Y’all know that my wild fantasies are always based on something, any location or art style, as long as they exist in our TL and is fun, I will, starting from this chapter onwards, list them after the chapter one by one, so that you guys can experience them in Central Asia and India later on.

v2-4393d4791c2b4b74b3489986e1c36850_r.jpg

The Liao State had always maintained a peaceful relationship with the Seljuq Dynasty in the latter half of the 12th century, for reasons no other than the fact that Battle of Qatwan did not take place, and power of the Seljuq Turks grew stronger each day. The Liao State was forced to make peace with this power of the west, and make plans on gaining the wealthier land, the five regions of India (as described by Xuanzang).

The Liao Army climbed over the Khyber Pass for the first time in 1158, and launched a southern expedition to take advantage of the utterly chaotic situation in the lower Indus River basin, finally gaining a foothold in the lower stream of the Indus River. However, the route between Liao Proper and the Indus Basin has been very unstable: not only because the Afghan statelets tend to rebel and surrender in unpredictable intervals, but also due to the Ghaznavids who still controlled parts of Punjab. Not only did the Ghaznavids remained influential, they also clung very tightly to their Seljuq patrons. The Liao could only wait for their chances.

Finally in the 3rd Year of Zhuque (1176), the Khitans received news from the west: the Arka’uns (Christians) west of the West Sea launched a crusade against the Seljuq Sultan. Although Yelu Guangyuan, or Emperor Xuanzong of Liao had little understanding of the so-called Character X Army (十字兒軍), but out of the Seljuq movement of troops, he saw an opportunity to attack the Ghaznavids. Liao declared war on the Ghaznavids, and after a nine-year war that involved countless Middle Eastern states against the Liao, in the end, the Liao State gained the Baluchistani coasts and India’s Punjab, centred on Lahore.

Thus, the Liao has gained full control of the Indus River Drainage Area.

This was a land totally strange to the Khitans, Uyghurs and the Han. This is a land with magical powers.

The Khitan aristocrats were surprised by the hundreds of three-feet-long ilish\ they caught during the Spring Hunting by Water along the Indus in Multan, the First Fish Banquet of the 11th year of Zhuque was chronicled for its extraordinary bountifulness.

The Han aristocrats could not have been more pleased with their new fiefs. Who could have, in the snows of Kedun City, thought that there is one day when they could re-immense themselves in the pastoral joy of their childhood, let along in such a fertile land? Moreover, this is a place of no freezing cold in winter, where crops gets ripe thrice a year, how could their Youzhou and Daizhou hometowns even compare to this?

The Qocho and Samarkand aristocrats found the place unbearably hot and humid in summer. But, after they have tasted the sweet grapes, oranges and watermelon grown out of the Gandhara land, and were specifically granted a leave by the Emperor Xuanzong during the holidays to escape the summer heat in the Snow Mountains, they started to praise their life in Western Tianzhu (Western Sindh) as if it’s a paradise, and many even asked to fetch their family over here, since anyway there are plenty of empty houses left over by the Gazvanids in Purushapura (Peshawar).

Well, speaking of the Temporary Residence in Tianzhu, let’s talk about it a bit. The Emperor instituted the Residence in ancient Gandhara, and for the next century, the Residence became Mahakhitan’s administrative centre in India, and was finally taken over by the great Central Capital City built in the 1270.

The story won’t be that fast, and as for now, the Emperor would still return to the Upper Capital on Chuy, where mountain flowers blossom. And we are about to discuss about the buildings of this era.

v2-3ad2ae12d3ff649e26d9131995b71278_r.jpg

Chuy Spring

The Emepror’s journey to and from Shangjing repeats about once a year. Although, there are still consolations along the harsh Hindu Kush mountain lanes. Traversing northward from Wude Fu (City of Martial Virtues, but also transliterating its original name Udabanda), the monarch’s Temporary Residence in Gandhara, through the green Swat River Valley, until everything turned barren, and even the eternal Nanga Parbat mountain was left behind, the Emperor and the officials arrived at the Little Paradise in the mountains, Garam Chashma.

v2-2b519d6b083481e3d7b9670cde0ff6f8_r.jpg

The name’s meaning in the local language was simple: hot spring.

What sets this hot spring apart: if you jump down joyously, you would be well and truly cooked. Garam Chashma’s hot waters hot water, when it gushes out, can be unintelligible from steam. In the thick smell of sulphur, you could see water flowing into the pool boiling.

After several incidents when a few Khitan man were disabled by the scald, the Emperor put the construction of an affiliated building complete with multi-layered cooling station on the agenda.

The workers from Liao;s Construction and Renovation Department of the Ministry of Works, who took part in the building of an Altyn Arashan Hot Spring Hall, started building this new Hot Spring pool in the 2nd Year of Mingyi (1190). Within three years, they built up sixteen different pools, of varying sizes, temperature and medical value, usually termed as the Halls of Sixteen Springs.

v2-17efa91ded34489db1c0667dd5fc4431_r.jpg

By Chuye Kara
This hall was one of the Halls of the Sixteen Springs complex, the Begonia Spring Hall, often used by the female servants, as it appeared in 1210.

These springs were the prime example of the mature phase of the early Mahakhitan architecture. The Qocho and the Turkic people brought forth mature brick vault technics, making it possible for an internal indoor space with large span. The Khitan obsession in Han-style architectures has brought the appearance of a mock wooden structure. But what appeared to be purely decorative mock-dougongs and mock columns had their structural usage: the craftsmen use them to cleverly disguise the buttress. The Ghaznavid sky-blue glazed bricks were also loved by the Khitans, several year after conquering the Ghaznavids, sky-blue glazed roof tile became the new trait of the Liao Architecture.

In the backdrop, there is an affiliated dam. Its form was a typically Qocho earth/wood hybrid structure. These attics with thin pillars, with mud roofs without tiles, could be seen everywhere in the Upper Capital. (And was widely seen in OTL near modern North-western Han Chinese architecture.)

(And, the little girl emerging from the bath was Huaniang, great-granddaughter of Emperor Xuanzong. She was married to the Mongol Khan Ogadei, having many sons and grandsons, and became a legendary figure in Mahakhitan literature. I will explain in detail later on.)
v2-b7ba09d243d6936e89462646b1259dde_r.jpg

That’s how the Liao Emperors went on for generations: coming to Sindh for winters, and returning to Upper Capital in Summers, hunting in Springs and Winters. Until the year 1245, a year we’ve mentioned countless times, when Zhaozong of Liao died in the Seven Rivers, and Upper Capital fell, the people fleeing south moved to the Afghan region, and a new phase of history in Afghanistan began.

To resist the Mongols’ intended further expedition southwards, Emperor Wuzong of Liao Yelu Chunxi, having quelled the rebellions (last attempt by Afghan noblemen, who saw an opportunity, to revolt, and was solved violently by the Liao forces), setting up a Hanshan Circuit (Cold Mountain Circuit) with authority over the entire Afghanistan. Liao civilians taking refuge in the north were settled in Hanshan Circuit to develop its agriculture. The Emperor further constructed a Great Wall and other defensive structures in Balkh. Afghanistan emerged all of a sudden as the Empire’s vital military stronghold, under direct court control.

The tragic scenes of the Liao-Mongol War remained in the heart of everyone, from Emperors to refugees. From the 5th year of Deyou (1250) onwards, the Emperor decreed that each Buddhist monasteries in Afghanistan should build stupa courtyards, so as to bring about Uttarayati (超度), or release, to those Liao soldiers who froze to death in Tashkent in the 1st Month of the 42st Year of Tianying (1245), the elite troops lost in the battle of Seven Rivers summer of the same years, as well as fifty thousand perished in the Shangjing Massacre next summer.

Those were all termed the Chijian Wuwei Ta(敕建無畏塔), or Imperial Vaisaradyani Stupas, Vaisaradyani means fearlessness.

This Vaisaradyana was located in the largest Trailokya Temple in Varmayana (梵衍那, Fanyanna, today’s Bamiyan). The emperor built an eastern stupa courtyard specifically for this building. There is a stele with the Emperor’s words on it, by Wuzong to instruct the entire country that they must re-build their forces with perseverance, always bearing the past disasters and sufferings in mind.

On the backdrop, there is the famous 150-Chinese-feet tall Varmayana Vairocana Buddha, or the Buddha of Bamiyan.

v2-b599d8532ea0424500180c4e12bc3fac_r.jpg

By Chuye Kara

The Stupa in Bamiyan, like all other 25 Vaisaradyana Stupas, took an identical design, showing a typical case in late 13th century Mahakhitan religious buildings. The throne of the stupa has already been influenced by Afghan Buddhist stupas during the classical period, the dome (Garbhaya), shaped like a reversed alms bowl, together with a large finial (harmika) displayed an Afghan and Gandhana art style. A Liao-style glaze-tiled roof and mock-wooden structural decorations showed its East Asian bloodline. As compared to contemporary Tibetan stupas, the Mahakhitan Stupas was much more of an elegant, intricate style in terms of ratio. The Buddha statues in the main body of the statue had Abhayamudra (施無畏印), or gesture of fearlessness on their right hand, and Bhumyakramanamudra (觸地印), or the earth-touching gesture on their left hands. It’s very clear what the emperor was trying to express. (The Bhumyakramanamudra was a symbol of Buddha capturing the devil.)

In the following decades, the Liao’s Emperors Wuzong and Yingzong pushed for reforms, and renovated outdated administrative practices. A new army was formed, and a new capital built. This bring us to the next story, the Great Zhongdu, or Central Capital, of the Mahakhitan. Stay Tuned.

Now IT is time for Mahakhitan’s Record of the Western Regions~

v2-2d0a24c051aeafa7cfa8ba25c29f2eb7_r.jpg

The ilish are said to be quite delicious. A 3-feet-long one is very rare. It’s said that the locals would try to fry it with curry.

v2-e665b5083b16cd0c35d1440b995c173c_hd.jpg

The Garam Chashma out our timeline is in Chitral District, Northwestern Pakistan, near the mountains of Afghan Wakhan corridor, and was the hottest hot spring in the Himalayan Geotermal Belt. Its underground pressure reservoir temperatures may be as high as 260 °C. Consider yourself warned if you get fully cooked by it. Of course, the Mahakhitan Hall of Sixteen Springs? They don’t exist. (BUT, If there is any millionaire among y’all, don’t forget to bring me along. It’d be a nice idea if we build it.)

v2-737b4b3927e5d2e5966dc90860b37a01_hd.jpg

v2-57fad7c32608692523d70690e5ddbd9a_hd.jpg

The Altyn-Arashan Hotspring, one of our timeline’s most famous spring in Kirghizstan. It’s valleys are beautiful, so are the spring pools. Snow-leopards encounters are possible in the mountains.

v2-28ac5076a3b9d7f2c725c1c36ad6e144_r.jpg

The Bamiyan Buddha, which I’ve tried my best to re-create in the illustrations according to historical images, to sort of fulfil one of my wishes.

v2-6aad9b0e83a9314530275af54ed2e738_hd.jpg

Han architecture in the Western Regions was inspire by Hami Hui Prince Palaces, with reference to some archaeological records.

v2-e37d6c163f76148bb03dc93a4ba95b93_hd.jpg

Contemporary Tibetan Buddhist pagodas, the most famous one being the Yuan’s Miaoying Temple in Peking. It’s a very sturdy structure.

The next chapter won’t be a problem despite my work dealing with the Gothic Structures. . I’ve read some stuff about ancient Indian urban planning, and have already conceived how would this unprecedented Imperial Capital, manifest of the highest order of cosmology in both Chinese and Indian minds, would look like. Now, all I have to do is to slowly create it with my drawings and words.

So, see you next time, Happy thanksgiving~

Last edited:
The architecture is interesting, and I love the preservation of the Buddha, at least for now.

What I will say though is that this chapter was slightly harder to read. It seems to switch between conversational and more textbook. Not incomprehensible by any means, but just a little jarring at times.