Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

I wonder if African cuisine will take the place of Thai, Indian etc. in Anerica due to better postcolonial outcomes and connections, political or otherwise.

There are already Americans going to and from Africa who might be the initial pool of customers, but the question is whether Africans can migrate to the ENA. It would seem to be contrary to the "send 'em back" spirit that led to Freedonia...

There are already Americans going to and from Africa who might be the initial pool of customers, but the question is whether Africans can migrate to the ENA. It would seem to be contrary to the "send 'em back" spirit that led to Freedonia...
Then again Virginia is shaping up to be a majority-black Confederation as of this point in the TL. Maybe migration is allowed but they're more or less confined to that Confederation (officially or unofficially)?

xsampa

Banned
Then again Virginia is shaping up to be a majority-black Confederation as of this point in the TL. Maybe migration is allowed but they're more or less confined to that Confederation (officially or unofficially)?

Maybe this would lead to something like cantonalization which would provide an early model for American Diversotarianism

Does that mean they have to wear silver pyjamas and strange grey plastic helmets?

No doubt over-enthusiastic Societists will propose something along those lines in the future - "standard human vestments", or some such.

The autonomy of British colonies could dramatically differ, especially in the late nineteenth century. Argentina was definitely towards the “dominion” end in terms of being a colony. IIRC, it was close enough that there was talk of including Argentina in the Imperial Conferences.

I wonder if there are TLs where Argentina voluntarily joins the Empire/Commonwealth/whatever? (Presumably, ones in the which the late 19th/early 20th century British establishment weren't such precious racist snots.)

I wonder if there are TLs where Argentina voluntarily joins the Empire/Commonwealth/whatever? (Presumably, ones in the which the late 19th/early 20th century British establishment weren't such precious racist snots.)
Or ones where Barings didn't make that country a by-word for bank runs and financial risk, perhaps?

And ones where their investments in the U.S. don't induce them to gamely play along with the Monroe Doctrine?

Bulldoggus

Banned
Unpopular take here perhaps, but I rather like the Diversitarian educational system. It re-emphisizes the sorely neglected third level of classical Liberal Arts education. In short, one starts in grammar school, learning all the baseline facts. Then one proceeds to logic school, learning systems of logic by which to process facts. Then, finally and most importantly, one goes onto rhetoric school, learning how to express those facts with eloquence and skill (usually the arts come in at this level as well). For new insights can be gained through rhetorical excellence, through an ability to cut through to the heart of the matter, and so forth.

Now, IOTL, this system has largely been dismantled in favor of our current mishmash-system of vocational training walking in the skin of a real Liberal Arts curriculum, aided along by an academia that tends to prefer vacuous jargon to any real insights. Most have the equivalent of grammar school, some have some training in logic, but rhetoric is sorely lacking, outside of some public speaking. Schools have been shuttering rhetoric departments for a long time. Perhaps a three-level system more like that would be a good fit for the Diversitarians.

Unpopular take here perhaps, but I rather like the Diversitarian educational system. It re-emphisizes the sorely neglected third level of classical Liberal Arts education. In short, one starts in grammar school, learning all the baseline facts. Then one proceeds to logic school, learning systems of logic by which to process facts. Then, finally and most importantly, one goes onto rhetoric school, learning how to express those facts with eloquence and skill (usually the arts come in at this level as well). For new insights can be gained through rhetorical excellence, through an ability to cut through to the heart of the matter, and so forth.

Now, IOTL, this system has largely been dismantled in favor of our current mishmash-system of vocational training walking in the skin of a real Liberal Arts curriculum, aided along by an academia that tends to prefer vacuous jargon to any real insights. Most have the equivalent of grammar school, some have some training in logic, but rhetoric is sorely lacking, outside of some public speaking. Schools have been shuttering rhetoric departments for a long time. Perhaps a three-level system more like that would be a good fit for the Diversitarians.
To uphold our good diversitarian values, I am mandated to disagree.

I fully agree, I think it's a very interesting way of teaching history (even if it would probably take an insane amount of research to actually pass the exams!), and may have a limited utility in advanced science classes; but the frequent references to "the way your mom and dad did things" show that this is a recent development. Before this individual-focused Diversitarianism (every individual has the potential to voice a unique opinion and must use it) we probably get a whole century of haphazard "the state wants you to believe this so as to maintain national distinctiveness" that seems to have lasted until the 80s liberalization and then was probably permanently disavowed after the nearly world-ending Last War of Supremacy.

xsampa

Banned
I wonder if the lack of global trade will do the Combine in in a more subtle way than pre-LWS force ever could. Without global partners and a hardening aristocracy, it will be increasingly tempting to bleed peripheral zones to enrich Zon1.

I wonder if the lack of global trade will do the Combine in in a more subtle way than pre-LWS force ever could. Without global partners and a hardening aristocracy, it will be increasingly tempting to bleed peripheral zones to enrich Zon1.
Then again they rotate Rejes, and although there will likely be periods of interrupted trade the Unfree World has a resource base too large to ignore. When the Combine was Meridian exclusively it could have been isolated, but with the resumption of trade after the IEF debacle and the promised coming wave of Combine expansion (not to mention the revisionist factions in Danubia/the Eternal State/Yapon!) it's too late now, those two factors will contribute to an undeniable force in the global economic sphere.

Bulldoggus

Banned
A hundred years from now you'll have an HPoC day and it'll be a sea of carefully managed mob violence in the jersey colors of your choice. Shirts vs. skins?
I would suspect that in practice, for every one person fistfighting during these things, there would be a whole lot more milling around, getting under the influence of their poison of choice, and just being generally somewhat wild. I'd also think that inevitably, you'd get Soccer Hooligan-esqe gangs who all agree to take the same sides on things and fight their rivals, a fact that Diversitarians would work hard to avoid.

I would suspect that in practice, for every one person fistfighting during these things, there would be a whole lot more milling around, getting under the influence of their poison of choice, and just being generally somewhat wild. I'd also think that inevitably, you'd get Soccer Hooligan-esqe gangs who all agree to take the same sides on things and fight their rivals, a fact that Diversitarians would work hard to avoid.
"We all know you agree on the same position regarding racial purging x, but what about foreign conflict y? Start debating right now or Sanchez wins!"

xsampa

Banned
Then again they rotate Rejes, and although there will likely be periods of interrupted trade the Unfree World has a resource base too large to ignore. When the Combine was Meridian exclusively it could have been isolated, but with the resumption of trade after the IEF debacle and the promised coming wave of Combine expansion (not to mention the revisionist factions in Danubia/the Eternal State/Yapon!) it's too late now, those two factors will contribute to an undeniable force in the global economic sphere.

Maybe the economic strength of the Combine will allow it to influence the Diversitarian states leading to nationalized manufacturing

Maybe the economic strength of the Combine will allow it to influence the Diversitarian states leading to nationalized manufacturing
As long as each nationalized form of manufacturing is slightly different and rooted in some sort of "ethnic character" argument I'm sure the Diversitarians are super into it.
*Rages against Globalism in Westernesse Imperial English*