Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Thande, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Indicus Stuff

Torontum, Ontarium Minor, Imperium Romanum
    The autonomy of British colonies could dramatically differ, especially in the late nineteenth century. Argentina was definitely towards the “dominion” end in terms of being a colony. IIRC, it was close enough that there was talk of including Argentina in the Imperial Conferences.

Analytical Engine likes this.
  2. Jared first one to PM me gets a bonus chapter of LoRaG

"Why buy the cow when you already get the milk?"

3. HistLover Well-Known Member

To have steak

4. Jared first one to PM me gets a bonus chapter of LoRaG

As with all steaks, though, there's a risk it comes out bloody.

5. xsampa Well-Known Member

There has been mention of Danubian Societists but not of Ottoman Societists. I wonder why that is

6. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

I assume that they will be appearing in due course, after the Totally Regular And Not At All Dangerous Invasion Of Sudan And Darfur.

7. xsampa Well-Known Member

Speaking of Zones, at least 1 author with quasi-Societist views on nationalism labeled the subdivisions of their world-state-bitcoin-thing zones.

"At least one zone in the Americas has had the courage to just say no to non-heirloom workers, even if it means the bigger blockchains stay away.”- Heirloom, Venkatesh Rao

8. xsampa Well-Known Member

I wonder if incorporation of colonies into the metropole will be possible for some of the colonial powers. Not the Americans, the British or the Russians, but maybe French Maldives or Alguim.

9. Indicus Stuff

Torontum, Ontarium Minor, Imperium Romanum
    According to a previous map, American Antipodea has been fully integrated into the ENA, as has Perousie into France.

10. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

Well then you get into the difference between settler colonies and more traditional colonies

11. Falecius Well-Known Member

I am afraid I cannot decipher this jargon, even if it is clearly grammatically correct English (not my native language, yes, but still one I tend to undertstand very well in its written form).

12. xsampa Well-Known Member

13. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

I had that same reaction

Falecius likes this.
  14. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

When I was reading (and reading and reading and reading...) to catch up when this thread dropped I really enjoyed the automaton chapter, and this most recent one about the flippants got me wondering if we'd get an update about whatever would fill the niche occupied by pulp/proto-superheros/weird fiction at this point OTL. The presence of sequents and masked avengers in the mid-1800s would definitely create ripples for sure. Mainly it was because I reread Watchmen and the idea that a world with caped crusaders would shift to pirate fiction got me thinking. Maybe in a lull after the First Black Scare?

xsampa likes this.
  15. xsampa Well-Known Member

And there are mentiins of a Perousien artist Vincent Yang, so Perousie might be independent.

16. xsampa Well-Known Member

In his play Ends of the Earth (1931), the Pérousien playwright Vincent Yang sardonically described the early colonial history of his country by dividing it into five phases: ‘idealism, pragmatism, paranoia, momentum, and greed’

17. xsampa Well-Known Member

Also, I find it strabge that discontiguous Guinea (Senegambia-Cameroon) can survive in thr modern-day as one country. Quote:"Bissau and Cape Verde were taken by the Royal Africa Company (the precursor to modern Guinea "

18. Suvareshkin Well-Known Member

The existence of an entity known as Guinea doesn't mean that all territories remain under its control, though, but only that there is institutional continuity.

Hawkeye likes this.
  19. Falecius Well-Known Member

20. xsampa Well-Known Member

I wonder if African cuisine will take the place of Thai, Indian etc. in Anerica due to better postcolonial outcomes and connections, political or otherwise.